Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > no flip helmets in this store - tescos      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 badge73
Msg: 1
view profile
History
no flip helmets in this store - tescosPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
on the way home i called into the tescos express at batchley in Redditch ... looking at the wine rack and was asked to leave due to me wearing a helmet with a flip lid which was UP! i asked why and was told it was tesco policy as the whole head has to be shown for the camera in the store, i then asked if that was a case for a burkha and was given a shrug of the shoulders .... went around the spar with the same state of helmet and was served with a smile ..... emails will be sent out to tesco asking for verification.

for those none the wiser a flip top helmet when up, revels the whole face.
 badge73
Msg: 3
view profile
History
no flip helmets in this store - tescos
Posted: 3/22/2012 1:37:57 PM

I'd put money on you getting a letter back that smells so strongly of political correctness that you'll have to disinfect it.

have emailed them and asked why its their policy and if its the same for other head garments as sure quite a few organisations would love to know .... though i suspect your very right and dont want to offend ...

I suppose you could have offered to remove the helmet , or they could have asked you to.
I know my local Building society has a sign on the door asking people to remove helmets /hoods etc before entering the premises.
Although I thought a flip top helmet only reveals the eyes and nose and not the whole face/head .

i would of removed it before entering the store if that was the case but it wasnt im afraid which probably started me off a bit more, and the flip top helmet allows the whole front of the helmet to pop up revealing the whole face etc which again could understand if it didnt but alas it does ....
 badge73
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2012 2:21:08 PM

The Bhurka issue does make this interesting though, I think the op should really force this point when taking it up with them

Infact, the best question to ask would be what if a biker and a bhurka wearer went in the shop at the SAME time, would just the biker be expected to remove his headgear?

would be interesting and due to my pig headiness think about doing that and see what happens on film of cause ....

If you do decide to contact them, ask also if they allow for enough staff to man said cameras at all times the shops are open and see what they say.

i honestly dont think i will get a reply and if so will take it up with various biking organisations, but no one mans a camera and the funny part of it i was talking to the guard about a yard away who could see almost every grey hair in my beard etc lol
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2012 3:14:10 PM
Actually a flip helmet only reveals the face from a virtually direct frontal aspect. The bulk of the helmet (padding etc) would make recognition from an angle almost impossible. I'm not even going to join the Burka debate kicking off.
 badge73
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2012 3:26:32 PM

I suppose 9/11 was his fault as well?

I stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the Czar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain

I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the Blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
Ah, what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

I hate Tesco, their piss poor ethics and everything they stand for so I'd be quite happy to be banned from one of their stores.

Maybe you could ask someone for a loan of a burka and go in the store and see if they serve you?

now and then we agree pauline and in this case we do, from now on will give other companies my money, may not be much but it proves the point as far as im concerned ...

Actually a flip helmet only reveals the face from a virtually direct frontal aspect. The bulk of the helmet (padding etc) would make recognition from an angle almost impossible.

so where is the crossing line, when its raining or cold do they refuse entry to those wearing a hat or scarf? test every one to make sure they are not wearing a wig or false glasses/tash/beard ...

could always just strip off and change in to my night clothes i suppose ....
 Graham90125
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2012 4:30:58 PM
Of course you should take your helmet off (even if it is a pain in the as5e when you've got your earplugs in and your scarf all tucked in nice) because we all know bikers are mostly criminals, so you should have to show your face.
Of course burka wearers don't commit crimes; well apart from the one who stabbed Stephen Timms MP, or the two men who were stabbed in Walthamstow by a woman wearing one and lets not forget Mustaf Jama, wanted for the murder of policewoman Sharon Beshenivsky, is believed to have dressed in a niqab in order to flee Britain.

One rule for one, one rule for another; get used to it.

I've never been asked to remove my helmet on the Isle of Man. Funny that.
 ~Hams~
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2012 4:59:15 PM
Are you sure you weren't asked to leaved badge because they found out you support Villa?!

I read recently that Mario Balotelli was asked leave the Trafford shopping centre as he had his hood up.

A lot of crimes are committed now days where they make their get away on motor bikes
so you can understand why stores don't want anyone to have their face or head covered as
it will be difficult for the CCTV cameras to get a clear shot of the criminal caught in the act.
 Strider886
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 4:04:29 AM

on the way home i called into the tescos express at batchley in Redditch ... looking at the wine rack and was asked to leave due to me wearing a helmet with a flip lid which was UP! i asked why and was told it was tesco policy as the whole head has to be shown for the camera in the store, i then asked if that was a case for a burkha and was given a shrug of the shoulders .... went around the spar with the same state of helmet and was served with a smile ..... emails will be sent out to tesco asking for verification.

for those none the wiser a flip top helmet when up, revels the whole face.

Buy yourself a Burkha, next time they have a sh!tty at you, take your helmet off and stick the Burkha on (or better still, have a Burkha underneath). If they still complain, tell them your going to the local rag with a story about Tesco banning Burkha's.... See how quickly they sh*t themselves :p
 *rem*
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 6:35:58 AM
Whats everyone spitting burkha feathers for? Tesco havent replied yet have they? So nobody knows what the policy is. Tesco dont need to give you a reason for anything so i suspect the policy will have to do. I dont see the problem personally. You weren't asked to remove the helmet, they told you to leave. From that i'd assume anyone wearing a burkha also wont be asked to remove it, but asked to leave. Seems fair to me.
 Strider886
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 6:47:18 AM
^^ We all know that won't happen, it'd spark a Tesco Jihad, with spontaneously exploding Tesco's stores up and down the country.
 ControlledFolly
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 1:11:57 PM
Since when did a crash helmet come under equality and diversity legislation?

A burkha (while to me symbolically distasteful) is an expression of religious freedom (sic), and a fundamental part of their beliefs.

As far as i know there is no religious requirement to wear a crash helmet, and if there is a cult that demands this then i would love to know about it as im joining.

So Burkhas are banned from tescos what next? Cruscifixes, rosary beads? skull caps? ( sorry jewish people cant remember the name), Pentagrams? Bathomets.... or Nuns habits?

Sometimes E&D goes to far, like any private institution, they have a right to say what is and isnt acceptable on their property as you do on yours. ITs up to customer to decide whether or not they comply.
 ControlledFolly
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 1:43:21 PM

Take as long to think about it as you need..

Patronising and selective quoting in one post good work and shows the fastest way to spot someone stroking their E-penis.

*golfclap*

What about nuns habits, or insert any religious headgear you choose?

As for Burkha not being a religious requirement, i cant disagree with you as i not an expert, but i am sure someone who knows Sharia can extrapolate.

The point still stands that E&D legislation exists for more than religious freedom and right of expression, it also includes cultural and Ethnic too.

So my point stands scrutiny.

Cut it anyway you like Tescos have to right to say you can only shop in there wearing pink wellingtons if they choose, equally customers have the right to not shop there if they dont like it.

Rosso your viewing public awaits the response with baited breath.
 badge73
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 4:18:49 PM
Talking in the pub tonight and a few things were brought up.

What about those who dress up in the opposite sex?

Wearing a hard hat?

Or any one who dresses to deceive? Even to the point of wearing false beard etc

or just a case of some targets are easier then others ...

The case of the helmet being round before the burkha is a case of changing the rules of to not offend due to political correctness? In the name of culture or religion?

ControlledFolly
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2012 5:05:17 AM
@msg 60

There is a difference between debating and preaching.

A debate consists of an opinion backed up with some kind substance that allows for a counterpoint. If someone were to state an opinion that is their version of the truth in a way that they cannot possibly be wrong and all other opinions are invalid then your are going to get called on it.

I expect the reason others more often than not stop debating with you is likely they are bored with a one way debate and choose to ignore rather than conceed. A bit like a child attention seeking, just turn your back and leave them to it.

The OP at no point preached to anyone, he had an opinion used a comparison and acted upon it as it was his belief. While consensus is that his comparison is not valid, but he is entitles to his point of view and hasnt been flamed for it (too badly).

If this was a Sharia law forum, i would argue for a womans right to wear what she wants, knowing that i will at least get flamed to snot, called a troll and quite possibly have a fatwah (SP) placed on my head. That would not deter me, but deep down i know i have no place on that forum because Sharia Law is of no interest to me, and i know next to nothing about it, so my arguments would be very flawed as they are opinion and belief, not based on fact and experience.
 badge73
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2012 6:13:49 AM

a biker chooses to be a biker... so s/he chooses to wear a helmet... and chooses to go to tesco... and by default chooses to abide by their rules....

in the same way a woman decides to become a muslim and chooses to wear a burkha, whilst choosing to shop at tesco?

According to the op he was walking around the store. Why would you, I am debating the fact it must be very uncomfortable and the op in my opinion is being awkward.

actual fact i went straight to the wine section as wanted a bottle for after tea, probably only in there less then 2 mins.

well have indeed received a reply from tesco

Thank you for your email. My name is Alison and I am the Customer Service Manager responsible to dealing with your complaint.

I’m sorry to learn of your disappointment when you asked to remove your crash helmet to show your face in our Batchley Store.

Although infrequently, helmets can act as a disguise in crime which means we ask that they are removed so as to avoid the potential cause for alarm.

It may appear to be inconsistent that we do not ask someone wearing a veil to take it off, but we wish to show sensitivity to the faith and culture of the individual concerned. We recognise it can be an inconvenience to remove a crash helmet but believe it will not result in the distress which might arise for a lady obliged to remove her veil in public.

Therefore, we think our current approach is inclusive and strikes the right balance between respect for a different tradition and other considerations. Please be assured that we value your custom and hope that you will continue to feel welcome in our stores.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding this matter and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards

Alison Jones
Tesco Customer Service

i will be replying most likely tomorrow and put forward a few points of the reply from tescos in my own true straight to the point style of cause ....
 kkpiper
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:31:33 AM
I think it was an excellent reply from Tesco.
 kkpiper
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/24/2012 1:03:58 PM
Would you have taken if off, if requested ? and would you have thought Tesco were out of order for asking you to do so ?
 *rem*
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2012 11:33:03 AM

The op isn't discriminated against he is allowed to wear a burka to tesco any time he wants and the muslim lady would be asked to remove a crash helmet if she was wearing it.

Lets not forget there was no muslim lady and no burka to begin with.
 Strider886
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2012 2:25:26 AM
How about if you were wearing a f**koff big sombrero?

You'd be hidden from store security camera's, would they ask you to remove it?
 badge73
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:12:02 AM

I dont see this as muslin bashing. nothing has been said derogatory about their faith. Only a comparison on head gear and why one is acceptable and one isnt, when both should be treated equally.

exactly

I went to Tesco petrol station today. I decided to pay for my petrol at the pump rather than go into the cashier. I kept my helmet on all the time and nothing came through the tanoy they have outside to tell me to remove it. Felt uncomfortable though, still having it on while trying to do a sale.

this is what gets me annoyed is the total lack of inconsistency, how would you feel if the next time you fueled up the same way you were denied? i find it a lot quicker with paying at the pump, just remove one glove and depending on close i am to the pump dont even have to get off the bike, in and out in just a few minutes

it would be nice if you just thanked them for their reply and admired their stance on sensitivity towards some sectors... but you wouldnt do that eh..

did thank them and your correct didnt admire their stance as its totally wrong and inconsistent. might even ask them to how many shoplifters are caught in various head gear .... should be fun
 *rem*
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2012 4:54:01 PM

this is what gets me annoyed is the total lack of inconsistency,

*sigh*
Too easy.
 Strider886
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2012 7:04:33 AM

hehehehehehe....hilarious..God loves a fool though, that's the shame of it all, he keeps creating these idiots and won't stop - I'm so frustrated with God right now!!

If I were a fictional deity, I doubt I would love fools or care for your frustrations ;)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > no flip helmets in this store - tescos