Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 grove_22
Msg: 35
Are paid online dating sites any different?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
As you're still here it just shows match has as good a success rate as pof has..

I'm not actively looking for dates from POF. I'm here for the forums.

Getting MORE dates means nothing. Match has had numerous lawsuits filed against them for paying women to go on dates with men to make their site appear more successful then they really are. Just google match and lawsuit and you'll find plenty of cases where Match had to settle their cases by offering blanket refunds and reductions in cost of service and agree to stop doing the fake dates.

I did an internet search. I saw 1 lawsuit about fake dates in 2005. However most of the lawsuits I saw were about people accusing Match of having fake profiles ( which I think is more likely to be inactive users ) or people claiming that Match had charged their credit cards after they had tried to cancel their subscription. Suppose for the sake of argument, even if half of my dates from Match were with women that Match paid. I still would have had more legit dates from Match than POF.
 JDinMN
Msg: 36
Are paid online dating sites any different?
Posted: 3/25/2012 3:39:26 PM

A couple years ago when I was all hot and bothered about finding somebody I tried to get onto a pay site. Chemistry or match, don't really remember.

I do remember that they denied me after I filled out their psychological questionnaire. Saying something like, "we're sorry, but there are a few individuals who we have found are not likely to be successful on our site. You happen to be one of them."

I was like, "Well, ain't that something. WTF."

So yeah, they are different. POF let me in. haha.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:37:11 PM
As far as free sites go, it's like re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic...
A paid site weeds out broke men. Weeds out people who r just playing (they go to free sites)

Ladies if they can afford a paid membership, they will @ least spring for a latte or cappochino on a 1st meet & dinner if they like you...
 smokincigars
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2012 10:25:46 PM
SOME paid online dating sites are different, but the difference is in their focus. eHarmony is primarily a matchmaking site, not an ordinary dating site; it does things very differently, but it is intended for people who definitely want to find "the one" and get married. Chemistry.com (Match.com's "upscale" sibling) uses questionnaires similar to eHarmony to narrow its focus in finding people who are more likely to be good matches for one another. Some sites cater to special-interest groups: if you are looking for someone who shares your interest in stamp collecting, vegetarian/vegan diet, or something along those lines, one of the special-interest sites might be able to help you find a match/mate. And of course there are sites specifically for swingers, casual sex, fetishes, kink and all the variations.

As for the "general interest" paid sites, I have yet to find one that really does anything to make them worth the money. At the same time, the free sites sometimes offer extra-value features for a price, and some of these paid features may or may not be worth your while. For example, I'm a premium member of POF, and that lets me see when someone has read a message I sent; it also puts me ahead of non-premium users on searches. I don't necessarily need these features, but I like having them. (Paying for premium-member status also eliminates advertising on POF, which I like; but if you use the Firefox browser, the Adblock Pro add-on does pretty much the same thing, for free.)

Are you going to see most of the same people on paid sites that you find on free sites. You betcha. The difference is, most of them are not paid members; they filled out their profiles, then decided paying to send and receive e-mail isn't worth it, so even if you pay and want to contact someone, that person may not be active and won't ever know you e-mailed them.

For most of us, the free online dating sites are all we need.
 fishing05221961
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/26/2012 5:29:15 AM
All these sites are the same and men and women still post the same outdated photos and shirtless or lingerie shots as well. My favorite are the women that say they are athletic or average and are not even close. Why lie, what does that accomplish?
 laskoboo
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:40:39 AM

We're here because we don't want to pay. Not because we're cheap. Because we're spiritual.

licoricecat_1
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2012 9:10:43 AM
Paid sites are no different except that you dish out money for something uncertain. I would not feel good thinking that I had to pay for someone to talk to me. I would rather go on a free site and take my chances and save my money. I would think that on a paid site, the person you met would expect more since they are paying. I do not like the pressure when I first meet someone. A relaxed cup of coffee with good conversation is fine with me without the pressure.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/26/2012 11:59:07 AM
Some paid dating sites are complete, front to back rip-offs, existing only to separate lonely men from their money.

Before signing up on a paid site, do a google search on that site.

I'd also advise getting an additional credit card, one with a low credit limit, so that when you realize the site is a rip-off, and can't figure out how to delete your account, you can get them to stop charging your card by maxing it out. They ALWAYS stop when they can't get paid.
 Aura1shine
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/2/2012 3:51:30 AM
No they are not much different people. Most people on paid dating sites are also on POF and other free ones but they behave differently. Since it is FREE, so those people felt they are much better with a paid one and behave accordingly. So they display their FREE manners and being themselve on here with crude, lew, lies, and vulgar manners on the free one and feel like they can play as much as they want to. But in a paid dating site, it will be costly to do so.
I have to admit that Match has a nice format that compare stats what a profile owner has along with his/her expectation side by side which safe time and frustation in guessing. True is best to make sure that you really are single before joining and you have to agree to be prosecuted as fraud if they find out that you are not single as claimed.
 grove_22
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/2/2012 6:43:19 AM
well i don't see how match can charge 35$ a month, and netflix is only 7$ a month

You could get a 3 month membership for $60. Which is only $20/month. Or you could get a 6 month memberhsip for about $100-105. With the 6 month membership, you can get an additional 6 months for free if you match some criteria. Such as emailing a certain amount of people per month. Among other things.
 Tech-Romancer
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/2/2012 9:51:10 AM
I've been on both free sites and pay sites. My last relationship (2+ years) was via a free site. In fact, I've gone on more dates via freebies. I don't think pay sites are any different. Well, pay sites might be more selective since they tend to feel more exclusive. That said, I don't think one offers a clear advantage over the other.
 graytemplesandeyes
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2012 9:01:04 PM
Paid sites have two major differences.

One is that it lessens, but doesn't eliminate the bottom feeders.

Two is a negative. There are those sites that have pretend profiles that are there to keep you paying. If you think a guy shaving two years off his age and posting eight year old pics is a problem, how do you feel about a site created fake one just to tempt you enough to keep you interested?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >