Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Casual sex linked to depression      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 katalytic
Msg: 26
Casual sex linked to depressionPage 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I'm not seeing what this has to do with casual sex verses sex inside of a relationship. If it's a chemical reaction during sex, wouldn't the same thing happen if they were married?

Yes, but presumably there would be someone to bond with, and the point of the hormone is then satisfied.
 Maleman999
Msg: 27
Casual sex linked to depression
Posted: 3/25/2012 7:13:18 PM
I think someone putting an end to casual sex would be more depressing.
 Sabetha
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:16:41 PM
it's totally true
especially if you have unprotected sex
we get penetrated
casual sex is the way of Rome
and we will all be burning in hell, or at least our children and grandchildren will be.

Men just "feel good" and can fvck with no feelings, those women that claim they can, are full of shyt. or maybe they are robots, but the average girl with the real, natural, loving, nurturing sides, cannot hang with today's society. And the girls that do, are in a mess as well.

PS... whoever said we try to drink as much as men needs to hush. Not all girls are 135
 darthbanker
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:45:14 PM

Thoughts?

It's sad.

If in school growing up it was instilled in you that sexual encounters could possibly have long lasting psychological effects on the woman's mantality, would it change your relationships/pursuits?

It's sad that you have to learn about relationships in school.
Soon to be mandatory classes:
- Texting
- Taxes
- How to retire on public money
- Diet
- Insurance
- Relationships

I also think this is sad:

They are promoting the notion that men and women are the same....We teach young people to be very particular in what they eat, how they exercise, to be ridiculously frightened of the dangers of second hand smoke, and to flee in terror if a teaspoonful of elemental mercury is spilled in a classroom... at a university health clinic]" because observing for only 4 hrs, "They would sit and hand out birth control, the morning after pill and treatments for STD's, and none of them were educating these women and giving them guidence

All of that comes from government (or government sponsored) promotion and propaganda.
So government creates the problem (we're all equal! And we are going to force you to behave equally, any attempt not to behave the same, have a different life path, will be met with lack of support, scorn, disdain, maybe even some laws), government exacerbates the problem (look! There's a problem arising, but it's not our fault. We need to spend more money to fund things that simply exacerbate the problem! Free condoms and birth control for everyone, that will solve it!), and then people come up with solutions they want the government to implement (we need the schools to teach these things to the children, oh woe the children, help us government).

No wonder everyone's depressed and gets into the same cycle.
 Sabetha
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:52:06 PM
"Yes, but presumably there would be someone to bond with, and the point of the hormone is then satisfied."

it has to be the same guy ove rand over, or your body just gets confused...

same thing with swallowing jizz
 R00T
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/25/2012 9:34:42 PM
If that's the case why do some married women cheat on their hubbies? Having casual sexual behind their husband's back.
Depression is usually rooted from childhood experiences. Maybe the kid got molested, raped or just abused. These tend to linger through out the years. Sex isn't cause of depression unless you over do it.
 Jazzplenty2012
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/25/2012 9:39:28 PM
I think that a depressed person will be likely to have
casual sex because they are lonely!!! I think lonely people are depressed therefore when they get some attention they go for it have sex, then they feel bad about it!!! I think most Women are not equipped for casual sex.... Then the cycles for them starts again for depressed women who have casual sex end up MORE depressed!!!! Hope that made sense to u ;)
 --Zen--
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/26/2012 12:30:36 AM
FWB is emotionally unfulfilling because it isn't meant to be. This is most likely the most biased and generalized piece of pseudoscience I've ever read. Is she an actual doctor or a troll?

In the end, the women often feel like they're not getting the "friend" part when the man is still reaping his "benefits". They "aren't even aware they're being exploited."

What kind of BS is this? Sex is beneficial to both men and women. Attempting to manipulate this to support your argument is insulting to any logical human.

Messages 2,22,23 expressed my views on this perfectly. Use your mind people.
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2012 3:10:53 AM
When a woman gives of herself emotionally to a man that is uncommitted in the relationship, the man oftentimes may reject her or not treat her with appreciation and this does not make a woman feel special. As a result, her self-esteem suffers and this may cause depression. Her expectations of the man is that he will love her and treat her with respect and sometimes the opposite happens. He may also demand more of her and become jealous if she talks to other men and problems occur.
 abelian
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/26/2012 3:35:24 AM

(Some of you may scoff and laugh and say there are some women who are just fine with sleeping around and are happy and fine with it, but are they really? Could they just be in denial? What about as they get older?)

Miriam Grossman is a right winger with an agenda who is also opposed to sex education.
 gaiaisnotthesameasvenus
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/26/2012 3:39:54 AM
I am older woman and all I want to do is to help younger women make better decisions; not because "I am an old maid" (that which I am not) sad about my passing youthful beauty, b ut because they are made to feel worthless when a man pulls the strings of their love life.

I think it is beneficial that we teach girls and young women to love and appreciate themselves and that they deserve respect. When we build their self confidence, it will help them deal with downfalls of a relationship a little bit better. Unfortunately, people will still misbehave whatever the claimed curative is for it ad its alleged availability.
 gaiaisnotthesameasvenus
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/26/2012 3:41:13 AM
Men need to hold themselves to higher standards and women need to hold onto their self respect.

WHY are women still held responsible for men's lack of morality? It's like blaming the woman for being raped because she wore a micromini.
 nokia999
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/26/2012 3:44:22 AM
^^ It's morality that's making all these sluts depressed.

femaleconnection
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/26/2012 5:54:56 AM
While I do know some women who can have casual sex as well as any man out there, me personally...I learned about myself that I require intimacy and an emotional bond for it to be fullfilling FOR ME.

I dont ascribe to the notion that every woman needs this, I just make choices in my life knowing I NEED it. And Im much happier for it.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/26/2012 6:00:59 AM
We teach young people to be very particular in what they eat, how they exercise, to be ridiculously frightened of the dangers of second hand smoke…

I hardly need to read past the first few words to know that somebody is selling salvation and snake-oil and they’re going to have to find a whole heap o' sin and misdoing first before they can swoop in and set things right.

There’s a reason Dr. Grossman’s work is headed for the soft-cover shelves and not published in peer-reviewed journals where scientists and academics might ask irritating questions like “How do you know?” and “Where’s the proof” and “Show me the data.”

She’s the media darling of the Christian Right, still intent on renewing America and removing sex education from school except for the abstinence/celibacy agenda, promoting chastity til marriage and preserving hymens til they can be traded in for big white dresses and sparkly diamonds.

Boys ‘get off’ easier (sorry). We’ll be sllpping around with loose women behind your back while we’re courting you – boys will be boys, after all. And yes, ladies, it’s hard to find a good man when strumpets abound giving it away for free. But we promise to stop all that as soon as we’re married. No virgin/whore complex for us.

Thanks, Jac, for a highly readable post…

Ergo, the psychological difficulties arose through societal expectations and prejudice, not the act, or desire itself. That would suggest that societal prejudice was the mental illness…

…and therein lies the basis of much of the culture war between left and right in America today, I think. We both see the disease and the cure – we just can’t agree which is which.

Myself, I long for the good old days when I could put the kids in the car without belting them in, light up a cig and take off for McDonald’s without all this PC fussing about health and rights and shyte. A good beating once in a while and little mercury in the paint never hurt me none.
 x_file
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/26/2012 6:53:53 AM

In the end, the women often feel like they're not getting the "friend" part when the man is still reaping his "benefits". They "aren't even aware they're being exploited."

If a woman likes sex, wants sex, and goes and has sex, how can anyone claim she is being sexually exploited? Who's the exploiter?

If a woman likes sex, wants sex, and goes and has sex, how can anyone claim only the man is "reaping" the benefits? There is no doubt that some couples have problems in the bedroom. But this hardly means only the man is reaping the benefits - both men and women can be bad at sex.

The only way the "exploitation" or "reaping" the benefits claim make sense is if one assumes most women don't like sex, even though they claim they do. Something doesn't add up, something is wrong.

We don't teach young women that sex is biologically, hormonally, and emotionally different for them than it is for men and they are more likely to end up with depression and anxiety issues than the men they have casual relationships with.

Okay, the author is likely an idiot.

1) Most women know sex is biologically, hormonally, and emotionally different for them.

2) We DO teach young women that sex is biologically, hormonally, and emotionally different for them. Parents teach them. School teaches them. Even society teaches them by social pressure - good girls say "No". Whether they listen or not is a different story.

3) Lack of education, teaching, or information is NOT the problem. "Monkey see, money do" is the problem. Women look up to other women. In particular, women look up to women who get guys. The rest of the dots are easy to connect.

The Dr explains how during sexual behavior the woman releases a hormone called Oxytocin, which is also released during nursing a baby, that promotes closeness and trust. It's a biochemical human attachment. Some of you may know about this already but it's not something I learned about in 5th grade sex ed!

Okay, so sex is good - it promotes closeness and trust.

Oops....can't read the facts this way!

Ideology-driven health services lead young women to believe they are just like men – and they pay a high price for it... campus counseling centers are whitewashing the painful consequences of casual sex, STDs and abortion.

Millions of women have casual sex without any of the mentioned consequences. So clearly STDs and abortion are not simply the result of casual sex. Unsafe sex? Yes! Stupidity? Check!

An RN, who "could not in good concience work [at a university health clinic]" because observing for only 4 hrs, "They would sit and hand out birth control, the morning after pill and treatments for STD's, and none of them were educating these women and giving them guidence, not just for their health, but personally and emotionally. It was sad."

So female university students, who are adults, who by the way should be educating them self, and who are smart enough to be in university, and smart enough to seek birth control, presumably need "guidance" but ask only for the birth control, the morning after pill and treatments for STD's.

Yeah, it is sad.

Maybe they need treatments for HORNY.
 abelian
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/26/2012 7:09:41 AM
Men need to hold themselves to higher standards and women need to hold onto their self respect.

I do. That's why I stopped allowing women to use me for my brain just so I could get laid.

I think it is beneficial that we teach girls and young women to love and appreciate themselves and that they deserve respect.

Wouldn't that objective be better served by not teaching women that the most important thing they can give a man is sex? My seld-respect derives from who I am and my intellect, not how many women I have or haven't slept with. Sex is fun and I can't imagine tying sex to self respect.

When a woman gives of herself emotionally to a man that is uncommitted in the relationship, the man oftentimes may reject her or not treat her with appreciation and this does not make a woman feel special. As a result, her self-esteem suffers and this may cause depression.

If a person has any self-esteem to start with, he/she doesn't need validation from anyone else to feel special.

WHY are women still held responsible for men's lack of morality?

Huh? That's new one on me.
 Maleman999
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/26/2012 7:52:32 AM
I don't understand why in other parts of the world, like Sweden, Scandinavian countries, and western European countries, sex is treated as a normal body function. Being taught sex education in schools is no different than being taught math or literature. But in western society, sex is considered a dirty, immoral, perverted function and should only be used to make babies. And women in the western world are taught that playing stupid mind games and making guys jump through hoops for sex is considered normal foreplay.
 pasmal
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:01:48 AM
What is casual sex? Sex addict behavior? Or a few dates only where there was sexual activity?
These days, I do not buy the women are told to be "good girls". Maybe boomers and older generations were told that and reacted against it.
These days, one is in need of therapy if not oversexualized and on board with casual sex--the opposite backlash.
It is ok to abstain, to wait--but now that is seen as dysfunctional.
I had strs of maybe 2 months. I guess that's as close to casual as it got for me and I didn't get depressed. I just felt I got little out of I and didn't want to date that way, which is the norm now.
What everyone chooses doesn't concern me but now the pressure is based on being casual, or do not date at all.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:12:30 AM

These days, one is in need of therapy if not oversexualized and on board with casual sex--the opposite backlash… now the pressure is based on being casual, or do not date at all.

A girl has to be promiscuous or someone packs her off to a therapist? What paranoid nonsense.
 pasmal
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:22:07 AM
There is no such thing as promiscuous these days. I wouldn't use the word, either.
Funny how you do.
I find your posts nonsense but don't slur you by calling you paranoid.
Can't deal with a different pov existing?
The lack of casual sex gives men depression.
 RushLuv
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:30:21 AM
^^^

I am willing to take that bet.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:38:40 AM
“As we all know, hooking up for casual sex is bad for young people because it causes emotional or psychological damage. Right?

Well, actually, no. At least not for young adults between the ages of 18 and 24, according to a new study by University of Minnesota researchers. Even they found the results startling.

They asked more than 1300 young Minnesota adults about their most recent sexual encounters, their self-esteem and their emotional wellbeing. Interestingly, only about one-fifth of the subjects said their last encounter was casual.

But their overall emotional status was no different than the four-fifths who said they were in committed relationships with their most recent sexual partner."

- THE SYDNEY MORNING HERALD
 Capn_America
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:40:27 AM

Miriam Grossman is a right winger with an agenda who is also opposed to sex education.

LMAO Dude, you can probably pick ANY book in ANY library and say the same about it's author.
Well, maybe besides Stephen King lol.
I agree to some degree with the post, I just wish they decided to emphasize the fact that sex and love are interelated. When I was kid, it was actually a concept I never had trouble following; we learned the biological aspects of sex in Biology classes, and we learned in Religion classes that love is what "governs" (rather, what SHOULD govern) the act of having sex. So.....
As bad as religion can sometimes be (on this website anyways :evil:) it did do some good things. Anything that teaches about love isnt all bad in my book, and love is something we dont talk about, or teach, enough to our kids. Were too busy warning them about the "big bad world"....
 Capn_America
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:42:00 AM

“As we all know, hooking up for casual sex is bad for young people because it causes emotional or psychological damage. Right?

LMAO. New one on me.
Only kind of psychological damage that can be haved by casual sex is if he/she clubs you on the head with a lead pipe. Maybe then....but if not, I dont see how lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Casual sex linked to depression