Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The real Christians of Henderson County      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 21
The real Christians of Henderson CountyPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

You really aren't aware of the History of Christ's life here on earth?

I am aware enough to know it was all made up.

No one disputes that... there is evidence everywhere!?!

Many people dispute it.

What evidence?

You can start with the calendar...

All I see on my calender is a some pictures of puppies and a bunch of dates.
 TOEDWY
Msg: 22
The real Christians of Henderson County
Posted: 4/6/2012 1:57:53 PM
Hi Ari,

You said you were aware that it was all made up? I don't understand where you are getting that at all. In fact even most non biblical scholars accept that everything that is written in the Bible is historically accurate regarding Christs life here on earth.

Following are several NON-Christian references to the Historical life of Jesus.

Thallus (c. 50-75ad)
Letter from Pliny the Younger to Trajan (c. 110)
Tacitus (Annals, c.115-120)
Suetonius (Lives of the Caesars, c. 125)
Lucian (mid-2nd century)
Galen (c.150; De pulsuum differentiis 2.4; 3.3)
Celsus (True Discourse, c.170).
Mara Bar Serapion (pre-200?)
Talmudic References( written after 300 CE, but some refs go back to eyewitnesses)

If we limited ourselves only to the first and second Century... every single relevant non-Christian Historical source mentions Jesus... in addition to the Holy Scripture. His life here is indisputable... But what is the real problem you have with that? I sense there is something of far greater concern for you?

Regarding the calendar... this happens to be Good Friday. The day He was crucified as an innocent man. There is plenty of Historical documentation of the last week of Christs life... much of which isn't even found in scripture.

Did you know in fact that on Palm Sunday... last Sunday... that there were two other parades that came into Jerusalem at the same time give or take a day, that Jesus arrived to the cheers of people waving palms, men, women and children waving palms and crying out hosanna in the highest (a historical sign of victory). Huge... considering who the other people were who were arriving into town. lol

You may find the video on this link very informative regarding the last week of Christs life. It's better viewed on the small screen because if you blow it up it's out of sync, although blowing it up is a good idea when you are shown the places in Israel that you are taken to. Also good to let it fully load before you watch it. Kick your feet up because it's 40 minutes.

Think about this too though before you watch it... if you knew you only had one week to live... what would you be doing? Who would you spend time with, dine with etc? I find it fascinating who Jesus spent time with. Not for the last supper where the menu was set, but the night before. Some King!!!

http://www.cor.org/worship/sermon-archives/show/sermons/The-Final-Week-in-Jerusalem/

There are a couple of bonus's in watching this video... one is a little known/UN-publicized open letter/poster from an Israelite to Iranians and vice versa... fascinating what a few naive people can do. Jesus could have seemed naive too... but here He is... still writing? Still LOVING!?!?!

This also happens to be the year 2012 AD or Anno Domini in the calendar we use... which is Latin for 'the year of our Lord' which marks time since the Birth of Christ. Prior to that historical event, years count backwards in BC or before Christ?

I hope this gives you some useful information in erudition. And may you be blessed this weekend!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/7/2012 8:16:52 AM

You said you were aware that it was all made up? I don't understand where you are getting that at all. In fact even most non biblical scholars accept that everything that is written in the Bible is historically accurate regarding Christs life here on earth.

That's simply not true. For instance, I doubt you could find any Bible scholars who would accept the story of the birth in Bethlehem. It was pretty clearly added on afterwards when Christianity was a Jewish sect and they needed to have him born in the City of David to have a legitimate claim to the whole King of the Jews thing.

Oh, and the more common usage now is CE for Common Era, and BCE for Before Common Era.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/7/2012 8:30:43 AM

You said you were aware that it was all made up? I don't understand where you are getting that at all.

What you do not seem to understand is regardless if someone wrote it in a book, it does not make it true.

Furthermore, there is a vast amount of evidences that points to the fact the story of jesus was one that was copied from the story of horus.

In fact even most non biblical scholars accept that everything that is written in the Bible is historically accurate regarding Christs life here on earth.

So basically you are saying that 4 out of 5 dentists prefer BMW's, ergo: nothing.
 FundamentallyPeople
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/7/2012 11:17:11 PM

This is simply not the case. Even if we assume that you mean the more mundane details of the biblical narrative, as opposed to unnatural births, ressurections and other magic tricks. While there is a general consensus among historians that Jesus is a historical figure rather than a mythical one, that consensus isn't based on hard evidence, and only goes as far as "There was a man called Jesus who was born in Gallilee, was regarded as a healer, and was executed for sedition against the empire by Pontius Pilate." There isn't even any eveidence for the existence of Nazareth.

Further, none of the references you cite are contemporary, and all have other problems besides. This, combined with your blithe overstatement of the case in general, leaves you with serious credibility issues, in my opinion.

Thallus (c. 50-75ad): Actually, we don't have writings of Thallus, only comments by another writer who dates from the 3rd century that reference him.

"on the whole world there pressed a fearful darkness, and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. Thallus calls this darkness an eclipse of the sun in the third book of histories, without reason it seems to me."

That's a reference to the historical life of Jesus? Really?

Letter from Pliny the Younger to Trajan (c. 110): "Others named by the informer declared that they were Christians, but then denied it, asserting that they had been but had ceased to be, some three years before, others many years, some as much as twenty-five years. They all worshiped your image and the statues of the gods, and cursed Christ."

This actually does nothing to prove the existence of Jesus. It does prove the existense of christians, if there was any doubt on that score. Further, there are serious problems with this letter being genuine at all. It is found in only one ancienct copy of Pliny, and it's portrayal is at odds with what is known about him, for starters.

Tacitus (Annals, c.115-120): "Nero fastened the guilt of starting the blaze and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians [Chrestians] by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular."

This is a bit closer to the mark you're aiming for, and at least it is generally considered to be authentic. However, there is no source for where Tacitus got this information, which leaves open the possibility that he is simply repeating what had been told to him by early christians. This possibility is reinforced somewhat by the passage calling Pilate a procurator, when he was actually a prefect, which would not happen if he were working from official roman documents. They were kind of sticklers like that.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the rest are more of the same, in the interest of keeping my post down to a semi-reasonable length.

Most people don't know who Jesus really is... only what they have heard from someone uninformed to begin with

Truer words were never spoken.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The real Christians of Henderson County