Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Would you employ you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *rem*
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Would you employ you?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Would you hire staff that are only capable of doing the advertised job, or would you want people who are capable of achieving more?
In the current economic/employment climate it seems only readily disposable people are wanted. Is that any real benefit to the country or the company?
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Would you employ you?
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:42:02 AM
I would employ me depending on the job. I am always willing to move into different areas of work, work hard, put in longer hours than necessary so that I can learn more than the essentials.

I would find it very difficult to work in job that I found boring, so I guess I make sure that I don't have to. I like variety in work and if I am interested in what I am doing then I will go the extra mile. Saying that, ask me to gut chickens or peel potatoes all day and I would be clock watching and looking to get out ASAP.

I have been lucky so far that I have never had to take a job that I didn't think I could really make something of.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Would you employ you?
Posted: 3/27/2012 6:55:58 AM
I don't see what's 'snobby' about ensuring the right people for the right job. Just because a job may be unskilled or repetative (boring) doesn't mean that people can't be happy doing it or won't take pride in the work that they do.

However, if I personally, had to do that type of job I would not be happy. I would still do it to the best of my ability, I would always be on time, wouldn't skive off, but would be out the door as soon as it was time to clock off. Therefore, I wouldn't employ someone like me for that position.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Would you employ you?
Posted: 3/27/2012 8:51:25 AM
OneOnOwn - were you also the first one to take less money home so that your staff still got paid. I hope the whiney little gits that felt delivering leaflets was 'not my job' don't get another chance. Yes it was for the benefit of your company but it might, just might have kept their jobs viable.

I worked in a Recruitment Agency as a co-ordinator but when the receptionist left to get married, work was slack so we all chipped in to cover the phones and visitors. If the cleaner was off sick, I thought nothing of getting the hoover out.

When we all chipped in, it wasn't so that anyone gave us praise, it wasn't so we got a pay rise - it was so that we all kept our jobs. Which we did until the owner had a heart attack and had to give up.

My ex partner ran a small landscaping business and when things got slack we went out delivering leaflets in all weathers when times got tough, the lads he employed - nah, they stayed in bed. He ended up taking home no wage, we lived on mine but the guys he employed still went home every week with a full wage packet.

Like you, he gave up in the end. He got fed up working for his staff.
 *rem*
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Would you employ you?
Posted: 3/27/2012 1:27:18 PM

Of course I would employ me,would anyone actually admit they would not employ themselves?

I'm aware most people have a positive opinion of themself. The point i was trying to make is that you may be overqualified for a position but still willing to do it. So how would you feel being turned down for a job in Mcdonalds or KFC when you may be capable of running the place instead of serving fries?
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Would you employ you?
Posted: 3/27/2012 2:51:48 PM
Rem - You would like to think that anyone in desperate need of a job would work for McD's or KFC's just to tied them over and while it's true that virtually anyone can get a job with McD's I think they are less likely to employ someone who is apt to question what they are being told to do. I doubt McD's would be happy employing someone like me no matter how keen I appeared to be.

When I worked in recruitment we used to get people coming in and all we had to offer was call centre work. A lot of highly experienced people turned their noses up at it but a few months of being on benefits and bored witless they were back to see if the positions were still available. I actually got turned down for a call centre job - think it's because when they said they didn't bother with CV's as they were useless (they preferred to have you juggling and reading stories), I disagreed with them and suggested that CV's at least gave an indicator to someone's ability. They were right to turn me down as I would have been soooo unsuitable for just answering calls and reading from a script 8 hours a day, even though I had excellent telephone skills etc.

My daughter worked for McD's for many years and actually enjoyed it but in that time she learned how to do the rota's, became a team and shift leader, took over the ordering and stock control and cashing up. When she left it was because she was offered the first job she applied for which was running the phones and ordering aspect in an office, in the first week she spotted a £7k had not been invoiced. Then she started assisting the accountant and within a couple of years had taken over the accounts. She now runs the office totally and her boss actually asked her to run an offshoot company he was setting up for his son. Her husband also worked in McD's part time while he was at Uni studying Accountancy, didn't do his second year because he was offered a job doing something in Private pensions and at 19 was in his first full time job earning £30k+
 *rem*
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Would you employ you?
Posted: 3/27/2012 4:50:44 PM
I actually got turned down for a call centre job - think it's because when they said they didn't bother with CV's as they were useless (they preferred to have you juggling and reading stories), I disagreed with them and suggested that CV's at least gave an indicator to someone's ability.

I understand your view but disagree with it somewhat. I've hired graduates that have no idea about the reality of the positions they're aiming for and no practical usefulness either.
The reason employers might want to see you juggling and reading stories is that it shows if you're open,confident, friendly, team player/team builder, cooperative etc etc.. None of that shows on a cv no matter how well qualified you are.

The example of your daughter is exactly what i mean. Rather than causing unrest and upheaval within the company i'd prefer someone who could learn the business from the ground up, spot where efficiencies could be made, and eventually take on a role with much more responsibility. This doesnt seem to be important to companies at the moment. Rather hire an obvious underachiever and when they have outlived their usefulness/cant stand the boredome any more/disillusioned by lack of prospects... get rid because there are a million more like that available.
 bootielicious
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Would you employ you?
Posted: 4/5/2012 2:23:35 AM
I do employ myself so yes I would. If only more people had my work ethic. I have and am trying to teach my son the same work ethic and although he is getting there, he's not quite worked it out yet.

TheHappyChappie msg 11. Well done on stopping smoking. I admire anyone who is able to do this and that shows great strength and determination to me, so wack it on your CV and I'd employ you!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Would you employ you?