Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 26
If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I imagine many men pull up the pics & lick the screen, or gawd-knows-what-else...
 EmilysGhost
Msg: 27
view profile
History
If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?
Posted: 4/7/2012 7:02:58 PM
I wish men would read first but I suspect most respond to the pictures. Since my interests are not mainstream they would save themselves grief and trouble by reading first. ;^)
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 28
If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:19:20 PM
I can't imagine why one would contact someone on a dating site without bothering to read their profile.
 Akizzej
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/8/2012 3:24:09 AM
If I'm interested in someone, I'll make an effort to find out more about them so most definitely.... and even 'current' fellow has indicated he read mine and said that I was way out of his league... so much for that - cos I'm kinda over him like beans on toast ... lol
 PamiOakley
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/8/2012 7:19:51 PM
I don't email anyone if I haven't read their profile. It never crossed my mind that someone has contacted me without reading mine. I guess I am naive! Grumble, grumble, so now you have given me yet another issue to wonder about when I get that elusive email.
 aries1947
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/8/2012 10:07:38 PM
I do expect that they have; however, I usually find that they haven't really read it. I don't understand that at all, because they have no sense of me as a person and are only mailing me because they liked my photo. If I get mail, before I even read the mail, I check out the profile. I see no useful purpose in starting up a conversation with someone when we seem to have absolutely nothing in common. If I see possibilities, then I will respond to the email. One can usually tell if they haven't read your profile - it's the short one-liner guys who send "Hi, how are you?" or "How's your day going?" or other totally inane or sexually charged remarks. If they can't think of anything more than four or five words to initiate contact, the conversations aren't going to be very interesting. I was on this site for a few years when I lived in Alberta. I finally gave up about five years ago and have just VERY recently created a new profile in my new location. It doesn't seem to matter where one lives, the results seem to be similar. I'm starting to reconsider my decision to make another effort to meet someone, as when I look around at the so-called relationships I see out there, most days I'm relieved to be single. I've decided to give it about 6 months - after that, I'm gone if this avenue once again proves to be futile.
 TryAgan
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2012 10:14:07 PM
If they don't read my profile, I put them into the same category as the guys who are calling me every week with an offer to clean my air ducts.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/8/2012 10:15:47 PM
God what I would give to never read another online dating profile again!!!!!!!!!!!
 paulajenel
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2012 2:18:01 PM
If a person can't spend a couple minutes to read a profile I can't imagine they would have much to say beyond hi. Personally when I get a new message I read the persons profile before the message.
 PamiOakley
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/9/2012 5:16:14 PM

Personally when I get a new message I read the persons profile before the message.

So do I.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/11/2012 10:14:31 AM
I will confess I am pretty turned off if someone contacts where it is obvious they didn't take even so much as three seconds to read ANYTHING in it. Glancing, skimming, mine is long enough I won't hold someone not wanting someone to read Mitchener against them :) But reaching out to a total stranger coldly with absolutely no interest in who is behind the person by definition kills my interest; because curiosity and interest are two of my biggest turnons; and a person who can't be bothered to even look at a person they are claiming to get to know better... doesn't inspire confidence :)

Not that there's anything wrong with it if not bothering to look works for some people; but it wouldn't work with me personally. Do I expect them to read it? No. It is obvious a lot of people haven't who have contacted. But do I really appreciate it when they do ? Very much so.

imho
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/11/2012 11:25:17 AM
Like most men the pic is what piques my interest....but what I find kind of strange is that some
women with multiple pics don't always use their best photo as the primary...all very subjective I guess.
Then I DO read profiles,and look for any potential red flags or common interest etc., for example,
it seems with SOME women,thin...athletic...average,have a whole different meaning than mine!
Which again is subjective,but maybe not so much,hey we all like a little honesty.

If we have some things in common or I just want to get to know this lady for what ever reason,
I'll proceed to initiate contact with a short introductory message,maybe throw out a little humor
or whatever.
If I get a reply back GREAT,if not move on,as I think at this stage the whole process is just a
numbers game anyway....but I might file that person away and maybe try again later,as I think
it shows you are interested....or maybe just persistently desperate! LOL
Repeat try's have paid off in the past though....yeah right,that's why I'm still on POF!!!
 marthastreasure
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/12/2012 7:47:43 PM
Sometimes I want to write back and say.... Did you even read my profile? Wtf. I am very specific on my profile. Especially about age and location. I get guys totally out of the ballpark! One of the best things about internet dating is you get to put out there exactly what you're looking for! Don't you just hate it when someone gets all pissy with you for just saying what you're look
ing for?
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/14/2012 9:19:52 AM
How in the heck are they going to read my mind if they haven't read my profile? lol
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/14/2012 9:28:58 AM

How in the heck are they going to read my mind if they haven't read my profile? lol

LOL
 Wedne003
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/14/2012 11:41:30 AM
I try to look for something in the profile I am relate to and hence use that has mu opener
 starofgaia
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/14/2012 12:36:33 PM
If they are asking questions in e-mail that can be answered by a skim of your profile, then they are not worth your time. If it is an innocuous question about location or profession, it's OK; but when they "forget" to read about your relationship preferences that don't include married or separated men, then block them.
 catalina_view
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/14/2012 2:06:36 PM
If it's very short and doesn't use big words, yes they usually read it.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2012 2:59:20 PM
while I WANT them to have read my profile ... in no way do I EXPECT them to have even looked at it ... evidence weighs HEAVILY that the "men" who initiate contact with me on PoF don't even know what state I live in or how old I am ...

there's something about my profile that gets all the "little boys" going ... I get hit on regularly, weekly by the 20 to 30 year old crowd ... one sent me an e-mail yesterday from out of state and I clearly told him that I considered men who are 60 years old to be too young for me and that he was less than half that so this wasn't going to happen ...

he wrote back ... all ... "ohhhh! do you think you're too old? I don't think you're too old at all" ... so I had to write back to him AGAIN and say, "NO, sonny ... I DON'T think I'm too old ... I think YOU'RE TOO YOUNG! we have absolutely nothing in common" ... at which point, he stopped trying ...

this does NOT happen in real life so I think there must be some code word in my profile maybe in my interests that the little boys are responding to ... I certainly DON'T say that I want to have sex with children but that appears to be what they're "hearing" ...

grumble, complain ... lousy rotten kids!

maybe it's like calling a tobacco store to ask if they have Prince Albert in the can then saying to let him out so he can breathe ... you have to be 12 to think it's funny ... bored so doing prank e-mails ... shrug ... who knows ... but they're annoying ...
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/14/2012 3:21:09 PM
maybe it's like calling a tobacco store to ask if they have Prince Albert in the can then saying to let him out so he can breathe ... you have to be 12 to think it's funny

I'm 55 and I think that is funny.

OK, excuse me, I have to go make some phone calls.

Let's see....t....t....termite....tobacco....
 Lilgunshy
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2012 7:37:37 PM
I would never contact a man without reading his profile. And I would hope he read mine before contacting me to know we had something in common.
 elednuw
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2012 2:35:03 PM
I've had a lot of women initiate contact,but when I message them back,I rarely hear back from them.Lot of women on here are just playing games.
 Daskate
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2012 3:09:34 PM
The pictures are supposed to lure you in and then the profile should entice you to take the bait and initiate contact but have you seen some of these profiles. One word or a sentence repeated over and over again to meet the POF word requirements, one woman's profile was an ongoing online diary or so many misspellings or grammatical errors that you'd think a child wrote it. I could go on and on but you get the point. I think you get desensitized to reading them because for every legitimate one there are a dozen that make you go Hmmm but in the long run there is no real excuse not to read the profile regardless of how bad some are.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/17/2012 3:10:48 PM

Lot of women on here are just playing games.

And not the good kind like Scrabble and blackjack.
 Sunshinelady555
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/17/2012 4:40:22 PM
No I do not expect that most men have, because often times they just look at photos. lol
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?