Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 51
view profile
History
If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
So many are destined to be single forever. I deliberately don't read too much into profiles as a filtering method. If someone come back with attitude (or not at all) I know they are not for me.
 zerocool77
Msg: 52
If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?
Posted: 4/24/2012 9:13:21 PM
I don't have a problem with someone initiating contact without having read the profile so much what bothers me is someone ho after the initial contact never bothers to look at the profile to see if we share interests and then worse yet asks you questions that are answered in the profile

But much more annoying than that is people who write two line responses to full page letters and think that is a response to be considered an excuse for you to write them again.

Although at this point no one has written me in a while so I guess even the two liners would be somewhat better than nothing.
 BostonWolfhound
Msg: 53
view profile
History
If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?
Posted: 5/1/2012 7:12:26 PM
If I get a generic "Hi" email - I will respond back with a quick friendly note asking what it was about my profile that interested them and then I comment on something in their profile that interests me. I can't say this is terribly successful as I don't usually hear back at that point - but I feel like I am cutting out at least some of the "scammers".
 HopalongHowie
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/1/2012 7:29:09 PM
How in the heck are they going to read my mind if they haven't read my profile? lol

Hang on I'm trying.

My mind reader seems to be malfunctioning.
 HopalongHowie
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/1/2012 7:44:44 PM

If I get a generic "Hi" email - I will respond back with a quick friendly note asking what it was about my profile that interested them and then I comment on something in their profile that interests me. I can't say this is terribly successful as I don't usually hear back at that point - but I feel like I am cutting out at least some of the "scammers".

You actually reply?

I'm a guy that puts a lot of thought and effort into a first contact after reading a ladies profile. I even go to the extent of opening it in a separate window to reference as I write but if I get one response in 100 I'm shocked.
 kari135
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2012 11:09:43 AM

Lot of women on here are just playing games.

So are a lot of men. There are a few I maintain regular contact with, but they mostly are not anywhere near my city, or even my state. The last time I contacted a man first on POF, I got a really rude response, following which he blocked me. It never occurred to me that anyone would be insulted by being complimented on a well written profile. The only reason I stay on POF is to take part in the forums now.
 loveoutside
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/2/2012 11:41:30 AM

I even go to the extent of opening it in a separate window to reference as I write but if I get one response in 100 I'm shocked.

That seems like lot of effort for little result. Why not just say - "I read your profile and find you attractive. Write me back if you are interested" If they do write back, then you could put more effort.

I've yet to hear anyone refer to anything I wrote on my profile. Every email I got was about my pictures. On top of that, most women don't put any relevant information on their profile. Typically I'll see something like "I'm hardworking, love the beach, run, love spending time with friend/family" It never fails and I rarely write back or just say thank you.
 cariboolady1
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/2/2012 11:41:32 AM
Interesting post OP. I have found that most men who contacted me on the first day I went on did not read my entire profile. The ones who contacted me on the second or third day were much better. They did take the time to read my profile.
Yes, I expect that they do read my profile. It saves alot of deleting time.
 sus1119
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2012 12:12:33 PM
At the end of my profile it says, "Please don't just click 'wants to meet'" but I get 7-10 "wants to meet you" a day. So it's obvious he has NOT read my profile. But to figure out if I want to meet him, I would have to go to his profile because I'm not going on looks alone. So he expects me to either a) respond on just his looks; or b) go read his profile even though he has obviously not read mine. Sorry, but no.
 tsolathe
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2012 7:38:38 PM
I absolutely think they should have viewed the profile and hope something in their message refers back to something in my profile which can start a conversation. I get quite a few profile reviews, possibly because it makes women laugh and smile a bit. Many messages are just nice compliments on making them smile. I do wonder at times though which is looked at first when a message is received -- the profile of the sender or the message they sent.
 RobHamilton
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/3/2012 8:10:01 AM
Hi Debbie, I don't worry if someone takes the time to ingest my profile. It is possible that they may want to find out face to face what I am like... I feel our profiles are just a flash expose of our lives and the people that are really interested will ask the important questions later. Don't sweat the small stuff, the right man might be illiterate lol
 CRKid
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/3/2012 8:13:32 AM
I agree with you 100% I will admit, I'm first intriqued by the photo, then I read everything after that to see if I feel compatible with that person. If I feel comfortable I'll email/respond and talk to see if we share somethings, then maybe setup a meeting. Good fishing :-)
 OnlyLovelyLady11
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/25/2012 11:03:21 AM
It would be nice if people do and I believe it would save people from being discouraged! Acknowledging someone hasn't read before contacting, is really beneficial for make a sound decision! Shallowness, shows a great lack of character!!
 MountainMama2012
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/26/2012 12:46:45 PM
I also think someone should read my profile before initiating contact.

I've had more than my share of men who click on my picture that they would like to meet me. Then, when I read their profile and respond, I never hear from them again AT ALL. It would sure help to alleviate the feelings I have of how shallow so many people are to want to meet you just on the basis of a picture alone vs. initiating contact based upon mutual likes and interests.

I, personally, do not initiate contact with ANYONE without reading their profile first. But I've also found that over half of those show as "read, deleted" so I can only assume they are also judging me based on my picture only.
 Dmaj7
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/26/2012 12:54:53 PM
I agree. It's disappointing when someone doesn't read your profile. I attribute it to people playing the numbers. Send out a bunch of generic emails and hope someone replies. At the same time if you are getting lots of attention because of a pretty picture, well some people would love to have your problem :)
 Miss W
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/26/2012 1:42:46 PM
Yes, I do expect that.

Send out a bunch of generic emails and hope someone replies.

I HATE this. I had one guy send me the same one within a period of 2 weeks. Sheesh!
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/26/2012 8:38:03 PM

I HATE this. I had one guy send me the same one within a period of 2 weeks. Sheesh!

I had a guy who sent the same exact email (big long heartfelt one) on the same day with two different pictures (both of course looked like movie stars) from two different city locations.

Gee, think he was legit? :)
 deere_rancher
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2012 7:00:24 AM
Op
I have found that if you have an interesting profile , you will get more emails ,and they will be more genuine in their attraction to you
 SweetPea7896
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/30/2012 12:34:05 AM

I always know when someone hasn't read my profile. The ones that start their email with I Loved Your Profile. Yeah right. Then you ask them what it was that they liked and you never hear from them again LOL

That's funny because I just had the opposite happen to me. I contacted a guy and said how much I enjoyed his profile, so he asks me what I liked about it. I told him exactly what I liked. I never heard from him again. ???? go figure!!
 TedJMill
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 7:42:31 AM
I find a generic e-mail a turn-off. There's a lot of stuff in my profile; mention something from it.

When I e-mail a woman, I bring up a book or movie she mentioned in her profile that I like, or say how I fit something she says she's looking for, or some other reference like that.
 SweetPea7896
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/30/2012 10:01:25 AM

I find a generic e-mail a turn-off. There's a lot of stuff in my profile; mention something from it.

To each his/her own, but my people are picky in their aging years, I'm finding. I thought as we age we get more open minded and less judgmental and forgiving. Sheesh, to me finding love isn't that easy and cutting oneself off from potential mates just because of an opening email is a bit closed isn't it?
I answer all emails I receive and am open to the possibilities with every one I meet on here. Come on people, either you stay closed to simple things or you open up to the possibility of someone who might not be as good at the written word or as photogenic as you might like. Maybe they are not very photogenic or maybe they are really great verbally instead of in writing. Guess if that's how you are that's the way it is but I don't want to do that I want to be open to all possibilities. I am not usually attracted to older men but have decided that you never know and will leave myself open to almost all. You have to draw the line somewhere and for me, any guy younger than my son (34) is to young :) Guess we all have to do what we have to do for ourselves. I'm just saying.
 scottey63
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 10:47:23 AM
Of course I expect them to read it. Then when she says "So, tell me about yourself", I know she hasn't read it. I'm pretty much turned off at that point.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/30/2012 10:51:01 AM
^^ I usually assume when a person asks that question, it is less that they haven't read the profile and it is more they are trying to make conversation; as maybe they think hearing it from a person directly rather than them writing it on a somewhat cold profile might make it easier to see what is the most important for them to list first or something...

Sometimes it might be because they haven't; but some people don't really know what to say so that is a starting question. I try and give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/30/2012 11:39:35 AM
It's weird--very few profiles have made me want to contact a member--guys who have taken the time to invest in good pictures of them doing the things they love and have a passion for--those are the guys I want to hear from.

Normally if a person writes me (and it is someone I want to know better) I go and view their profile and respond back with something in it and we can go from there--but i have also said to a man --"tell me about yourself" meaning I have read your profile and now tell me more--I think some time we are so set in our ways we forget it is another person behind that screen--who can be feeling down, dejected, nervous (you might be the first person they have tried to contact).

It's funny I am sure there are some saying--I don't care if they read it --just someone write to me.

I also think most profiles are wayyyyyy to long.
 imrrc
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 12:14:32 PM
Thinking that the "look at picture and email" is about like going to a bar and hitting on someone for a one-nighter. No need for info, let's just do it attitude. As someone else stated on here, I always read the profile before responding to an email. Good to do so I can have a decent response. I wrote a long profile, said plenty of crazy stuff, and have gotten a lot of emails just about my profile, and that was before I put up photos. Within hours of posting photos, I received 15 emails, and could quickly tell that the only reason a few contacted me was because one photo has me in a suit next to a beautiful BMW Z-4. Had they spent a few seconds reading even the photo description, they would have realized it wasn't mine. It was all about image.. The others had obviously read my long profile, and gave me many compliments, and I was glad to respond, because they replied to some of my statements and asked a few questions. Only been back on here for a week, but it is easy to re-learn who not to waste time responding to. I am moving to a new area and by reading profiles, I am learning what there is to do in that area when I get there. Recon is a good thing.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?