Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moonbeamloveragain
Msg: 101
If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Well...

when your profile starts with football and fireplaces... has references to being a fanatical Vikes and Twins fan a couple times, ends with Go vikes and has catching a game at the sportsbar for a possible first date; having a person talk about how much they loved your profile, followed by asking a couple sentences later if you like sports at all (and asking seriously not facetiously); does tend to make you either doubt their sincerity or their reading comprehension...

or both :)
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 102
If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?
Posted: 9/12/2012 11:36:02 PM
^^^they must be Packers fans...lol!! Go Vikes!
 moonbeamloveragain
Msg: 103
If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?
Posted: 9/12/2012 11:39:16 PM
^^^

^^^they must be Packers fans...lol!! Go Vikes!

LOL! (probably a drunk one at that) :)
 Sniper308
Msg: 104
Posted: 9/13/2012 3:31:13 PM

Yes. Every great now and then, some woman -- occasionally, someone actually nice to look at -- will write to me on here and ask me to tell her about myself... which clearly indicates she didn't bother reading my profile. Incredibly annoying. I just hit the block button at that point.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 105
Posted: 9/13/2012 8:08:19 PM
Sniper...she may want to know more about you than just your politics and love of guns. Women want to know things NOT mentioned in your profile. Before you block a good looking woman who actually took the time to contact you, ask her what specifically she would like to know.

And even though I am a moderate and a Democrat and have a cat (gasp!), I am also a gun enthusiast, Navy mom and daughter, sister, cousin, aunt and niece of veterans. Thank you for your many years of military service in defense of our nation.
 danders1
Msg: 106
Posted: 9/13/2012 8:32:04 PM
i hopefully think they would read my profile but ladies in general don't. i have 39 women want to meet me, but in my profile it states if you can't make an effort to drop me a line, you won't make an effort to have a relationship with me. lol
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 107
Posted: 9/13/2012 8:40:04 PM

Sniper...she may want to know more about you than just your politics and love of guns. Women want to know things NOT mentioned in your profile. Before you block a good looking woman who actually took the time to contact you, ask her what specifically she would like to know.

That's a bit harsh. To block them.
Last week a guy messaged me and I noticed he was from my home town...I was interested enough to ask him to tell me more about himself. He replied with, "Certainly, what would you like to know?" I don't think I would have wanted him to block me.

....mae
 spot4username
Msg: 108
Posted: 9/13/2012 8:45:03 PM
Gosh that would be nice. My profile is crystal clear. I get loads of "I loved your profile" messages and "do you want to chat? or here is my number... *eyeroll*

I used to have a "for dating" profile when I was first on here. I actually got a lot of nice messages about that profile. Men sent emails that made it clear they had read my profile. In the last year or so I noticed that the quality of messages had really gone downhill. I made the choice to go forums only.
 Sniper308
Msg: 109
Posted: 9/13/2012 8:52:07 PM
And even though I am a moderate and a Democrat and have a cat (gasp!), I am also a gun enthusiast, Navy mom and daughter, sister, cousin, aunt and niece of veterans. Thank you for your many years of military service in defense of our nation.

1. I like cats. Grew up with them.
2. I once taught at the USMA so, even though I'm not a "sports" guy, I'm honor-bound to say "GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!" (Even though Navy kicks Army's fourth point of contact year after year after year. It's truly sad.)
3. You're welcome... and thank you for what you and yours have given in service as well.
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 110
Posted: 10/5/2012 2:11:45 PM
I expect them to have been drinking...lol.
 NotSeekin
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 9:39:34 PM

Personally when I get a new message I read the persons profile before the message.

So do I.

That's a super idea. Helps you put into context the message that you got from the person.
 NotSeekin
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 9:46:37 PM
Miss W on 5/26/2012

I HATE this. I had one guy send me the same one within a period of 2 weeks.

My apologies, because I think I've done that inadvertently to several ladies. No offense intended.
 NotSeekin
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 9:57:29 PM
Ms. 1388smartblonde:

...my profile as it is longer than most and there are many men out there who have never cracked a book since high school...

That comment got to my curiosity, so I read your profile. One of the reasons for the length is your intelligent joke that can appeals to those with a knack for arithmetic. Thanks for the chuckle.
 gentleplus
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 11:18:49 PM
@1388smartblonde

so if a guy says "he would like to get together and pop a few rounds off with you".... you would assume he meant a date at a shooting range????

LOL... wink

ps LOVED the blonde joke too.... do u mind if I copy it???
 onewayoranuther
Msg: 115
Posted: 10/6/2012 1:15:19 AM
I took the time to write it...if they don't take the time to read it then that is their bad.

It's not much different then taking the time to get all dressed up only to meet a man who half ass got ready before he met you. That has happened more times then I like to admit. Some have not even shaved..it's like WTF and I will walk. Yep, I sure will....just ask the piano man...he still hasn't forgiven himself. I have and moved on.
 arwen52
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2012 10:13:01 AM

I mean really, if a person can't even make the small effort to read a profile before making contact, what other efforts will they lack in later? So what, profiles start to sound alike, reading a person's profile means you have some sort of interest past just noticing a good-looking picture.

When a man contacts me and asks for my name...I know he didn't even bother to read my profile...it's disappointing. Others will start off their email to me with, "Hi Debbie". Those men take the time, cudos to them!!

Yep. My profile says explicitly: "If you want a response from me, you're going to have to write something *interesting*! "hi. u r cute," "I like your profile," or similar will *not* get a response. If you want to start a conversation, have something to say! Tell me why you think we'd want to know each other, what makes you laugh, or about something interesting you heard on NPR recently. Decent spelling and punctuation are appreciated."

At least half of the messages I get go something like this: "Hi. I'm Alan. Want to chat?" or "Liked your profile. Hope you'll read mine."

This tells me that either 1) they haven't read my profile or 2) they *have* read my profile and think that what they just said is interesting. In either case, they haven't qualified for a response.

Folks, if you want a reply from a guy or a gal, take the time to read their profile and say something that will make them want to respond to you. If you don't, then you have no excuse for complaining when you don't hear back.
 TwistedAir
Msg: 117
Posted: 10/8/2012 11:00:06 AM
Got contacted twice by Asian girls in their 20s wanting me to switch over to Yahoo mail and talk. They were in some foreign country. Looks like another scam going on...

Well it was a lot better then someone local that looks like a hippo. LOL
 Girlflower
Msg: 118
Posted: 10/14/2012 12:35:03 AM
Hi debbie..good question. When I get contacted by someone with copy and paste remark it just puts me off the whole dating thing.
 NotSeekin
Msg: 119
view profile
History
...do you expect for them to have read your profile?
Posted: 10/16/2012 9:22:47 PM
Ms. arwen,

Eyes - bluish with a little green and brown - is that what they call hazel?

I really don't have room to make such a statement, but I will anyway: you should post a closeup pic of your peepers, based on that comment above.
 NCnavetG8r
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2012 10:13:59 AM

I do, and would, but it's pretty much a moot point with me. LOL
 CDMer
Msg: 121
Posted: 10/17/2012 3:34:37 PM
Thirty three women have initiated contact with me. I would say of that number thirty did not read my profile and three did. Those three met all or at least most of the criteria I specified as essential and wrote about shared interests and other commonalities. Most of the thirty were so lacking I wondered why they even bothered other than to irritate me.
 johnl46
Msg: 122
Posted: 10/17/2012 7:57:08 PM
I would hope they read my profile. Otherwise it would be a waste of their time and mine if there was nothing we had in common.
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:03:17 PM
i've been with my boyfriend for way over two years and he is still reading my profile:) he was visual and also dyslexic. a good thing or he would have realized my age. yes, if i were a bad person, he would eventually have figured it out. but, as much as i scoured profiles for that mental connection, he "sees" profiles. if he did read what i wrote, he probably would have run:)

on the other hand, i've met many a good profile reader with wonderful profiles of their own, who lied and were full of sh_t. so, it's all about the journey. for every disappointment, there are also "missed" opportunities. i just treated it like sales. did not let anything get to me, just focused on the outcome, weeded out the obvious jerks and let the universe "provide", which she did.

i think the real work is if you meet the person and click. again, i was adept at weeding out the real jerks. but, there were many coffees with nice men, some of whom i befriended but w/o any chemistry. then came my honey bunny. are we a lot alike? no way! do we have each other's back? yes.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 124
Posted: 10/18/2012 12:50:42 AM

Thirty three women have initiated contact with me. I would say of that number thirty did not read my profile and three did. Those three met all or at least most of the criteria I specified as essential and wrote about shared interests and other commonalities. Most of the thirty were so lacking I wondered why they even bothered other than to irritate me.

I have a similar "track record". The majority of women who contact me pay no attention to my profile. I always take the time to reply to them and let them know they should read profiles before making contact. I get very mixed reactions, most of them being upset. Tough.
 NotSeekin
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2012 8:19:20 PM
Ms. Solange Bond2 on 9/10/2012

... Having a positive mental attitude and outlook on life is far more important to me than a list of things you like to do. ... Personally, in life, I appreciate someone who pays attention to details, who is thoughtful, kind and caring in their actions.

... When you live a life of appreciation and gratitude, there is no room for disappointment, resentment or bitterness. Every encounter, every experience has led you to where you are today and has shaped you into the unique individual that stares back at you in the mirror every morning. Learn to appreciate, to accept, and to love that... and your life (and those you touch) will be forever better for it.

I enjoyed and appreciated these comments.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?