Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Would you spend money to upgrade a home you don't own?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
If you are going to stay there a long time, sure, throw a few bucks at the place. As a lifelong renter, I have always added a few personal touches (ceiling fans, wall tiles, etc) and painted my kids rooms the colors they wanted them as long as it was allowed. I always asked the landlords first, and sometimes they even reimbursed me!!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Would you spend money to upgrade a home you don't own?
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:09:53 AM
when I've rented houses, I've asked permission for the landlords first and was occasionally reimbursed ... we've done all the usual painting indoors ... replaced a few windows ... front door once ... we ALSO refinished the oak hardwood floors in one house which turned out to be a MUCH bigger task than it first looked but the result was magnificent ... we lived in that house for six years and really enjoyed those floors ...

made me feel like I was a part of the house, even tho we hadn't actually owned it!
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:36:13 AM
Well it depends.Depending if I really Liked location/area/neighbours,LLs Apart&Rm etc..than if permitted..I may use abit cash to make apart/rm as into a'Home'I could call as & enjoy to part of my life's hopeful content for me.Otherwise if I wasn't happy etc..couldn't do it perhaps on somethings.It would just be as it were with what already have.Maybe inquire on repairs & the like but not to extent seeing it could be a house etc.Just it would be shelter a place merely its an apart to reside in.No more no less unless there's changes.
But if'rich'&able ah to'upgrade'..I would have a studio a condo,cottage a house though not owned.All to my love(to my liking)to build/design/renovate etcs.Have marbled/wooden flooring,jade stone arches,peach painted/wallpapered walls & long hallways glass spiral staircase, ceremonial carpets,accessible neccessities i.e sunrooms & all that & more.Of course simple aparts.one can do only so much or maybe not..but simple is good.Make it mine my home my life &Etcs To Be Cont. Your sweet home is where your dear heart is.Its not forever but you can build memories & impressions of time you were there before during after
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/5/2012 2:52:38 AM
I think you should do whatever you want to make yourself comfortable -providing the landlord has given the all clear.

I've always owned my own house - I have always upgraded the home I lived in,not just with my eye on the value of those changes but with the objective of making the house work for me. If you are planning on staying a while, you should be happy in your surrounding and comfortable.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/5/2012 7:04:16 AM
I agree with the others.

Make your mark, just be mindful on how much you invest.

With a floor .... buy a carpet.
Paint a wall ... colour makes you FEEL good.
Try to upgrade with things that you can take with you when you leave.

The surroundings around us increase or decrease our energy.
So yes ... being comfortable in your surroundings is very important.

I too am looking at selling my home, as it is now time to move on.
I may rent, as it is cheaper and a lot less responsibility.

And when I do ... I will make my surrounds conducive to me.
 laskoboo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 7:26:37 AM

My question? Would any of you POFers spend your own money to make a place you don't actually "own" more to your liking? A place that you would plan to stay in for a very long time?

no.
I would find a place already upgraded or buy a place.
It would be a foolish thing to do since you do not own the place. I suggest you tell the landlord
you will sign a 5 year lease if the following are upgraded:
flooring
new paint ( color of yout choic)
and whatever else you see that can be upgraded, like water faucets, enrty doorknopbs with new locks, showerhead, thermostat control, celiling fans, garbabge disposal, etc....
 TooShadows
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 8:29:23 AM
I've done that in the past. If the landlord has no objection,go for it. Most landlords won't mind,especially if it's something that will raise the value of the apartment.
 gigigrongbell
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:03:13 AM
Well I didn't look yet but I wanna see your picture. I have 4 eyes so am feeling a kinship already. I've been in my apartment for 6 years. I thought I would find a suite or a wee house but I like this place too. I am getting new paint and carpets this Spring so that will be a pick-me-up but I'd likely stay anyways. Why not spend a little and make it feel more your own? It's your money and another way to enjoy it. Don't apartments sometime get sold by the unit? Might want to find that out.
I owned a house, still do actually but he lives there with his nose hairs.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:10:17 PM
I would only enhance decor that I could take with me upon leaving if I were renting. It's something that was ingrained into my train of thought by my family since I could talk.

Ive been on the landlord side of the fence and most times when I would agree that a tenant could revise something, it would end up costing me a lot more when they left as Id discover they really screwed something up and now I was on the hook to repair the damage before I could re rent the unit. Towards the end of my being a landlord, I only allowed painting...and even then I would be mortified to see they had painted over gorgeous old wood trim. YIKES!

I can see why someone who knows they are staying for a long time would want to make it a home though.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:29:22 PM
If it's a place you know you (a) like and (b) will be staying in long-term, sure - toss some money at it. You'd do the same if it was a home with a mortgage, and when you sold that, you wouldn't expect to take all the improvements with you. Same rationale for this place. You pay for what you want with the knowledge that you're going to leave it behind when you move - just like when you sell a house. As long as the leaseholder is cool with it, there's not a problem.
 want to travel
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:42:19 PM
Most North American, do NOT own there home s
the BANK does, and yes they poor money into them
I am lucky, my ex and I both had money, bought and paid for our house in 10 years
so whatever happens our money is safe.....
but almost everyone I know including family, owe big time
 daynadaze
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 4:57:49 PM
I would. If I had the money and the owner was okay with it and I liked where I lived, why wouldn't I want to make it the way I wanted it...makes perfect sense to me. But I would do it knowing that it wasn't mine and I that I can't take it with me.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:22:55 PM

It's ludicrous, and most apt. complaexes won't let you even paint the walls, much less "upgrade".

Baloney. I've lived in very few apartments where I wasn't allowed to at least paint the walls, but I've usually rented from private owners, not complexs, and even of the two or three of those I've lived in, at least one had no problems with me painting and installing a ceiling fan, they even paid for it.

Why would you spend your life renting, pouring that money down someone elses pocket, for years, and never owning where you live?

Because in these uncertain times one never knows when they may find themselves out of work, or too disabled to work, and then a bank swoops in and takes it all. And when you rent, if something breaks, they fix it. If you are on disability or out of a job when you own and your furnace goes kaput or you need a new roof, you are SOL.

Go find a small, comfortable home and a small plot of land, and make your mark there.

And pray that you don't lose your job or a leg or something.......

I LOATHE apartment living. If I had the funds and a chance, I'd leave this apartment so fast the carpet would smoke. (It probably will anyways. I swear they use the cheapest POS carpet they can find in these places.)

It certainly isn't for everybody. For me personally, I love the fact I don't have to cut the grass or landscape. I love the fact that if my air conditioning or heater (or anything else) goes out, it gets fixed. Yeah, you get a-holes that move in from time to time, and sometimes it would be nice to have a huge backyard to sit in without a bunch of other people intruding. Then I think of having to mow that huge lawn, and I'm happy all over again.
 Padawan61
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 10:49:10 PM
My question? Would any of you POFers spend your own money to make a place you don't actually "own" more to your liking? A place that you would plan to stay in for a very long time?

I wouldn't even bother with simple landscaping or shovelling the snow around my apartment building ... much less put money into permanent fixtures (like flooring) ... to a place I do not own. If you ever do decide to leave, your landlord will thank you for YOUR investment into HIS investment.

I would like to "make my mark" on this place

You can make your "mark" the way canines do ... which won't cost you as much.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/6/2012 2:40:52 PM
I have painted and wallpapered at my own expense, but I wouldn't put down tile or carpeting.

Also, be aware that while you PLAN to stay there for awhile, things happen. I spent about $200 dollars and untold hours in "redoing" the last house that I rented. I intended to stay there for some time, but winter convinced me elsewise. In an apartment, it seems even iffier because you might get noisy neighbors, etc.
 SerendipityHappens
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:35:03 PM
Typically when I rent to a new tenant, I give them two options: Option 1: I paint the all the walls white for them. Option 2: They can paint the apartment themselves using colors of their choosing.... I've never had a tenant pick option 1! People like to add personal touches to the place they call home. I've had tenants install carpet, paint, etc. I even had one tenant who HATED the drop ceiling in the apartment and pulled down the old cracked ceiling and re did it with new sheetrock so that she didn't have to look at the ugly suspended ceiling anymore. I had another tenant remodel a bathroom and add a new tub/shower unit (I paid for materials only and her brother in-law who was a licensed plumber installed it for her) I just ask that the tenant discuss with me first but mostly I'm cool with them doing what they want because usually when someone invests a lot of time and effort into making their apartment more appealing to them, they'll stick around longer.

My only word of caution to the renter is that I'd be careful of the landlord who may try to raise your rent or toss you out after you've spent a ton of money on the place... but if you don't foresee this happening, then yes, I'd invest my own time and effort and a little bit of money into fixing up a rental place if I was planning to stay there for a few years.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:55:13 PM
"I keep my rentals up very well. If a renter wants to paint as room, or do some upgrades, I will meet with them, and if I see that they don't wnat something too strange, I will pay for materials, and they supply the labor. I never make that deal unless I have at least a one year lease. Sometimes we have to re-write the lease in order to get it to over 1 year."

Well said. Talk with your landlord. Flooring can be quite reasonably priced, or it can be a big time investment. What you want to do?
 southmeetswest
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2012 10:39:28 PM
i think you should do it. home should feel like home. i am on the fence about ever buying again. want to be mobile just in case.
i would however negotiate a longer lease to enjoy the benefits as long as possible.

kaylee
 arwen52
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2012 6:38:33 PM
I'm a landlord and I've also been a renter.

First of all, check your lease. Your lease may forbid you to make any changes. I once had a tenant who decided - without letting me know - to make some "improvements" in her apartment. She cut a hole in a door to put in a cat door - something I really did not appreciate - and she putted up some linoleum tile to expose the wood floor underneath and decided to sand it. She did an awful job and I was left with a real mess.

Don't do anything without talking to your landlord first. It's quite possible that if the landlord knows you're going to be around for a few years they'll not only allow you to do these things but might pay for the materials, as long as they know you're going to do a decent job.

And you might want to ask for a longer term lease. After all, what if you paint your apartment and then in a year the landlord decides not to renew your lease? Or sells the building and the new owner doesn't renew the lease?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >