Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jsphn11
Msg: 26
Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Yes, the voice does matter. High pitched would be a turn-off for me too.

I also have another thing I pay attention to, but many people told me it shouldn’t matter. I pay attention to a man’s hands. If his hands a small, white, gentle, very soft then I get turned-off. Regardless of how many years I tried to convince myself that it shouldn’t matter it still does.
 36kenalee
Msg: 27
Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:12:03 PM
it does 2 me, finally got 2 talk w/ one of mine n he sounded like one of my good friends that had just passed away, ya i had 2 tell him it just wasnt going 2 happen
 Double Cabin
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:46:43 PM
Kites is of course right on the money. Kinda pschucks to have to wear ear plugs knockin' boots.

To fulfill the length requirement might I suggest given individuality that there are all kinds of things many of us will never be able to condition ourselves to not dislike, and its of course never gender exclusive. Although this one time...
 click4love
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/6/2012 7:39:53 PM
A VOICE matters sooooo much!!! You may have to listen to it the rest of your life so you better dig it. A deep voice with a pleasant tone can make a girl all melty inside hehehe
 tuloa942
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/6/2012 11:53:20 PM
So, you haven't met him yet and you're going to reject him because of the sound of his voice over the phone?

Please do run away, very fast...

and leave him to someone who has depth and can appreciate an "awesomely wonderful and attractive person."
 sweetlonelyheart
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/7/2012 11:14:10 AM

So, you haven't met him yet and you're going to reject him because of the sound of his voice over the phone?

Please do run away, very fast...

and leave him to someone who has depth and can appreciate an "awesomely wonderful and attractive person."

If I had "run away" from some of the things I should have looked at before I jumped into relationships.. I would have been better off. (could this be why there are so many roommate marriages.. or people on here that arent happy.. maybe one of the reasons.. I dont know). This includes a whole myriad of things that I am looking at.. and yes attraction is one of them.... I am definitely checking out the package before purchasing this time!! What I have learned both from meeting people "organically" or on the internet in cyberspace is that people can tell you just about anything.. or things can seem one way .. until you "really" know them. I am really trying to go with my gut as well.

I think knowing what you want is important.. not just sitting back and taking whatever you can get.. I have done that.. been a doormat.. and whatever else you care to call it.

sorry guys.. If I have offended anyone here.. however, I am looking for those "masculine" traits.. yes!
 SugahPunkin
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/7/2012 11:46:37 AM
omg... yes. To me, it does matter.

I have a ... well... a kind of fetish I suppose. Auralism where some sounds have a sexual connection to me.
Now dont freak out and make too much fun of me because afterall, Barry White has made quite the living off his voice and swooning women.

So, maybe you have a touch of auralism also. Nothing wrong with it.
Music for me goes beyond just making some noise for background distractions. The sound of a man's voice is extremely important within the world of D/s (for me).

...................... *glances around and screams "dont judge me!!"
lol.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/7/2012 2:16:51 PM
Last night I attended a fancy dinner party in Beverly Hills, I sat directly across from the hostess. I was taken aback by her method of chewing food, real fast and with her mouth very open. She has been a widow for 20 years, maybe she eats alone too much, but wow,,,
A "major" bummer in the 'does it matter' category.
R
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2012 2:46:37 PM
Yes, his voice does matter.
 Fleuron
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/7/2012 5:52:20 PM
Yeah…..I’m trying to imagine a high man voice whispering in my ear…..uh, hmm, nah.

I do dig accents, though. Dreamy.
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/7/2012 6:27:15 PM
munkeechi Funny Tiny Tim singing tiptoe through the tulips. It matters to me. I can not be with a man that his voice is a turn off.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:23:25 PM
yeah ... I'm not so much attracted to or turned on by a Tiny Tim type of voice versus the Barry White voice ... now, Barry White would be LOVELY ...

my daughter was engaged for a long while to a man who had such a whiny little mama's-boy voice that I could barely stand to be around him ... I managed to never say, "oh, grow up and use your big-boy voice!" but I certainly wanted to! one day, my daughter looked at me and said, "I don't think I'm going to be able to stand that voice for the rest of my life!" thankfully ...

I wonder how many men secretly imitate Barry White ...
 What_He_Said
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/8/2012 5:11:15 AM
It is that for some it matters. As you pointed out, there is a disconnect of the perception of matching. So it may be that what we see vs. what he hear just doesn't square up for some reason.

Whether that is of great importance, substantially important, or or even a deal breaker can only be answered by one person. It might be something that can be worked around, or even something that one gets accustomed to in time.

IE. Would Darth Vader be the same if the voice were of Mickey Mouse? Probably not as effective as James Earl Jones. It just seems to pair up in our own minds eye.

Interestingly, James Earl Jones used to stutter, in an effort to correct it, his elocution became his signature style. Dunno why, speech pathologists may offer an opinion.
 russell5417
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/8/2012 6:15:15 AM
What is really weird is when a persons looks and voice doesn't match the personality.

That often works for a comedian....but in real life, not so much.
 Ken_The_Man
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/8/2012 8:50:00 AM
I think so, to the point where I even hinted at what I sound like on my profile. Women love it too lol, I used to do telecommunication and came to the realization after being hit on over the phone so much that I have an appealing voice.

It's crazy the things you can make happen with just the power of your voice.
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/24/2012 10:29:13 PM
I love Gilbert Gottfried and I realize that when he's doing that voice he's in character, but can you imagine? hahaha

Off the top of my head the only voices that rub me the wrong way are the real gravelly ones that talk too loud or the scratchy, phlegmy sounding ones.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2012 2:34:12 PM
For me, I can say his tone and everything else about how someone speaks matters. I was surprised at how much it does matter to me. I was married for a long, long time so it wasn't thought about until I heard several different voices that weren't right for me for one reason or another.

One example was someone who spent years living in Denmark. When we finally spoke I could only understand part of what he was saying because his accent was so heavy. He may have sounded wonderful to Danish women though. I basically ended the conversation with the "have a nice day "rountine ,not knowing what his last few sentences were.
 larissan04
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:54:05 PM
As someone who is very audio-oriented, I'd have to concur. Yes, the sound of a man's voice is very important. It is an integral part of attraction and sex appeal.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 12:54:58 PM
As much as the Op's question was rhetorical I'll add that as average looking as I am I've certainly found that my voice can turn heads. Most of us are predominantly visual creatures, but we have to listen to each other, and that sux if its not pleasant.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/17/2012 12:56:08 PM
Oh yes it does to me. I've been shocked at the tone of a man's voice many times. I chatted with a guy who was about 6'4" and 250 lbs and he sounded like Mike Tyson. Total turn off to me.
 missraven1
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/17/2012 6:37:28 PM

I was just curious what others thought about this. I got to know someone via email and then, once I spoke to him on the phone I was shocked to find that his voice and appearance did not seem to match. Am I being petty or weird or is there something to that? I was expecting a deeper tone of voice however, it was very high pitched-maybe he is a male soprano and can sing well. I really think he is an awesomely wonderful and attractive person, just having trouble getting past the tone of voice.

The mistake made is in assuming, and continuining with the soprano thing. I've experienced this though..tall masculine built man with a chirpy voice. Nah, not for me but it went beyond the voice. I used to find Russell Crowe attractive with his ruggedness but moreso because of his deep voice. All changed for me once his aggressive nature came to light..throwing phones, brawling etc. Plus an inability/unwillingness to share a gentler side, as if it would make him appear like a sissy, something I noticed in an interview. David Beckham is down two counts, both with the Brit accent and his voice (no offence to Britons lol). Well he's still good-looking. Additionally, fame and wealth must've overrode any concern his wife might have had. Going the other way, I find Barry White's voice too deep for my liking.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/18/2012 5:41:33 PM
A woman's voice matters a great deal to me.
I like to hear a pleasant sound if she coos in my ear.
or screams out in passion.
and not sound so annoying if she is mad and yelling at me.

I won't date women from certain regions just for that reason.
I 'm sure some women wouldn't want to date me as I sound "Texan".
So it cuts both ways.
 DameWrite
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2012 1:10:48 PM
The sound of the voice doesn't matter but if they are talking at me instead of talking to me, that's a deal breaker.
 SugahPunkin
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/20/2012 6:24:53 PM
@ dreamfire
oh??
Im glad someone understands.
Even silence to me in an integrate part of music. The silence becomes the music.I dont mean from a 'rest' part.. I mean music stirs such emotions for me that I cant even fathom to understand those who never listen to it. How do they even breathe?

A man's voice speaking to me across the table or in my ear evokes the same response from me. I wish I had a clearer way to explain it.
And Grace?... um, even the words ugly b*tch in the right moment and tune or tone sounds lovely.
;P

Even sitting here typing this and hearing the clicking of the keys while the fan is humming in the distant room is soothing to me.
I enjoy hearing the clanking of dishes at a cafe or the sound of strange men talking in hushed tones at the gym. I remember as a child finding great joy in listening to the snow scrunch under my feet during winter. Yet, I find some forms of music offensive. Some sounds jolt me as if being struck by lightening.
Ive always been this way.
Some voices cringe me.. and I love the Nanny, lol. But her voice does grate on your nerves but Id give just about anything to look like her!
I love the sound of a man's voice and if in love, even the sound of his breathing calms me.
Dont yall feel this way?
 brandee64
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/2/2014 1:53:47 PM
this is something that has bothered me also. I don't like nasal, or girly type of voice, though I don't think it is just that.think it is how it makes you feel. I liked a guy online and he spoke really fast, and something about it bothered me.i am not saying a man would necessarily have to have a deep voice, but don't really know.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?