Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Fleuron
Msg: 35
Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Yeah…..I’m trying to imagine a high man voice whispering in my ear…..uh, hmm, nah.

I do dig accents, though. Dreamy.
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 36
Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?
Posted: 4/7/2012 6:27:15 PM
munkeechi Funny Tiny Tim singing tiptoe through the tulips. It matters to me. I can not be with a man that his voice is a turn off.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:23:25 PM
yeah ... I'm not so much attracted to or turned on by a Tiny Tim type of voice versus the Barry White voice ... now, Barry White would be LOVELY ...

my daughter was engaged for a long while to a man who had such a whiny little mama's-boy voice that I could barely stand to be around him ... I managed to never say, "oh, grow up and use your big-boy voice!" but I certainly wanted to! one day, my daughter looked at me and said, "I don't think I'm going to be able to stand that voice for the rest of my life!" thankfully ...

I wonder how many men secretly imitate Barry White ...
 What_He_Said
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/8/2012 5:11:15 AM
It is that for some it matters. As you pointed out, there is a disconnect of the perception of matching. So it may be that what we see vs. what he hear just doesn't square up for some reason.

Whether that is of great importance, substantially important, or or even a deal breaker can only be answered by one person. It might be something that can be worked around, or even something that one gets accustomed to in time.

IE. Would Darth Vader be the same if the voice were of Mickey Mouse? Probably not as effective as James Earl Jones. It just seems to pair up in our own minds eye.

Interestingly, James Earl Jones used to stutter, in an effort to correct it, his elocution became his signature style. Dunno why, speech pathologists may offer an opinion.
 russell5417
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/8/2012 6:15:15 AM
What is really weird is when a persons looks and voice doesn't match the personality.

That often works for a comedian....but in real life, not so much.
 Ken_The_Man
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/8/2012 8:50:00 AM
I think so, to the point where I even hinted at what I sound like on my profile. Women love it too lol, I used to do telecommunication and came to the realization after being hit on over the phone so much that I have an appealing voice.

It's crazy the things you can make happen with just the power of your voice.
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/24/2012 10:29:13 PM
I love Gilbert Gottfried and I realize that when he's doing that voice he's in character, but can you imagine? hahaha

Off the top of my head the only voices that rub me the wrong way are the real gravelly ones that talk too loud or the scratchy, phlegmy sounding ones.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2012 2:34:12 PM
For me, I can say his tone and everything else about how someone speaks matters. I was surprised at how much it does matter to me. I was married for a long, long time so it wasn't thought about until I heard several different voices that weren't right for me for one reason or another.

One example was someone who spent years living in Denmark. When we finally spoke I could only understand part of what he was saying because his accent was so heavy. He may have sounded wonderful to Danish women though. I basically ended the conversation with the "have a nice day "rountine ,not knowing what his last few sentences were.
 larissan04
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:54:05 PM
As someone who is very audio-oriented, I'd have to concur. Yes, the sound of a man's voice is very important. It is an integral part of attraction and sex appeal.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 12:54:58 PM
As much as the Op's question was rhetorical I'll add that as average looking as I am I've certainly found that my voice can turn heads. Most of us are predominantly visual creatures, but we have to listen to each other, and that sux if its not pleasant.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/17/2012 12:56:08 PM
Oh yes it does to me. I've been shocked at the tone of a man's voice many times. I chatted with a guy who was about 6'4" and 250 lbs and he sounded like Mike Tyson. Total turn off to me.
 missraven1
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/17/2012 6:37:28 PM

I was just curious what others thought about this. I got to know someone via email and then, once I spoke to him on the phone I was shocked to find that his voice and appearance did not seem to match. Am I being petty or weird or is there something to that? I was expecting a deeper tone of voice however, it was very high pitched-maybe he is a male soprano and can sing well. I really think he is an awesomely wonderful and attractive person, just having trouble getting past the tone of voice.

The mistake made is in assuming, and continuining with the soprano thing. I've experienced this though..tall masculine built man with a chirpy voice. Nah, not for me but it went beyond the voice. I used to find Russell Crowe attractive with his ruggedness but moreso because of his deep voice. All changed for me once his aggressive nature came to light..throwing phones, brawling etc. Plus an inability/unwillingness to share a gentler side, as if it would make him appear like a sissy, something I noticed in an interview. David Beckham is down two counts, both with the Brit accent and his voice (no offence to Britons lol). Well he's still good-looking. Additionally, fame and wealth must've overrode any concern his wife might have had. Going the other way, I find Barry White's voice too deep for my liking.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/18/2012 5:41:33 PM
A woman's voice matters a great deal to me.
I like to hear a pleasant sound if she coos in my ear.
or screams out in passion.
and not sound so annoying if she is mad and yelling at me.

I won't date women from certain regions just for that reason.
I 'm sure some women wouldn't want to date me as I sound "Texan".
So it cuts both ways.
 DameWrite
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2012 1:10:48 PM
The sound of the voice doesn't matter but if they are talking at me instead of talking to me, that's a deal breaker.
 SugahPunkin
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/20/2012 6:24:53 PM
@ dreamfire
oh??
Im glad someone understands.
Even silence to me in an integrate part of music. The silence becomes the music.I dont mean from a 'rest' part.. I mean music stirs such emotions for me that I cant even fathom to understand those who never listen to it. How do they even breathe?

A man's voice speaking to me across the table or in my ear evokes the same response from me. I wish I had a clearer way to explain it.
And Grace?... um, even the words ugly b*tch in the right moment and tune or tone sounds lovely.
;P

Even sitting here typing this and hearing the clicking of the keys while the fan is humming in the distant room is soothing to me.
I enjoy hearing the clanking of dishes at a cafe or the sound of strange men talking in hushed tones at the gym. I remember as a child finding great joy in listening to the snow scrunch under my feet during winter. Yet, I find some forms of music offensive. Some sounds jolt me as if being struck by lightening.
Ive always been this way.
Some voices cringe me.. and I love the Nanny, lol. But her voice does grate on your nerves but Id give just about anything to look like her!
I love the sound of a man's voice and if in love, even the sound of his breathing calms me.
Dont yall feel this way?
 brandee64
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/2/2014 1:53:47 PM
this is something that has bothered me also. I don't like nasal, or girly type of voice, though I don't think it is just that.think it is how it makes you feel. I liked a guy online and he spoke really fast, and something about it bothered me.i am not saying a man would necessarily have to have a deep voice, but don't really know.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2014 3:19:32 PM
Very much so. I have a deep, strong, voice. But I've been told that sometimes that I have a harsh tone to my voice, that some take as me being irratated, or annoyed. I don't notice it myself. Then, I'm also slightly hard of hearing due to tinitis, and years of construction noise. Unknowingly, I have scared off potential dates because of that.
 Etritonakin
Msg: 52
Posted: 8/2/2014 8:01:28 PM
I find my own voice annoying -especially when recorded, as it usually removes the lower frequencies.
I am a somewhat trained vocalist, but when I sing and then listen to it, it just sounds too much like me for me to be happy with it. I've never had any complaints. I'm not sure if I'm going for something too generic or if others would like the things that annoy me. Maybe it's weird to want to sound not like myself. I like most everything else about myself.

As for a voice interfering with a relationship -it's definitely possible. If you always feel like covering their mouth, it may prove too much of a distraction. I personally feel uncomfortable around some (not all, for some reason) very loud and boisterous people -regardless of their actual voice. I suppose it has a lot to do with what is actually being expressed/the personality behind the voice, also.
 ladymercury
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/2/2014 8:21:06 PM
A bit of a tricky question; audio stimulation can be likened to time, I guess. You look at a man and he's attractive and then you experience his voice for the first time. Interesting to see and understand how long it's going to take for that voice to register. If it takes longer to register then so be it, I say. Generally I'm interested in sound based on its own uniqueness and so admit that some sound takes less time to really hit the right places. They've all been pretty wonderful to listen to though on the whole. Some much, much faster than others it seems.

I also take interest in what a man thinks of my voice and resonance. I tend to be on the flat side, less airy (although sometimes I pull it out purely for show), strong and abrupt. Whoever happens to be with me has to genuinely enjoy that sound or else it's not going to work for him. There's a bit of change sometimes, some inflection, though I tend to be more stoic (so I've been told), and so very rarely are romantic tones introduced.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 54
Posted: 8/3/2014 11:11:22 AM
Several years ago I had the experience of taking with a man from online with an amazing voice. I was crushed that when I met him there was no chemistry as I had wanted it so badly. We went out a couple of times, but without that chemistry I couldn't be more than friends with him. It didn't help that looked looked a lot like a female friend of mine.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/4/2014 11:30:19 AM
It only matters if I'm going to have to listen to it.
 April1963
Msg: 56
Posted: 8/4/2014 12:08:38 PM

Yes, it really matters, and matters for everything in life ... for romance or to work!!

Ted Williams: Homeless Man With Amazing Radio Voice Gets Job-easylivesearch.com...and he has a girlfriend now .!

http://youtu.be/wDixNmuAkus
 Strings6
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2014 8:37:44 PM
Some topics and the responses they generate are quite enlightening and give much insight as to why things are the way they are.
 Strange_Steve
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/31/2014 5:36:12 PM
Take a few deep whiffs of the noble gas xenon. That's XENON, not helium! You'll be amazed at how LOW you can go with your voice! But two caveats here: danged expensive, and also used as an anesthetic!

Or you can learn to do "growling vocals", which is way cheaper. Yeah! Almost pretty sure the ladies will line up then! :D
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?