Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Trevork52
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Titanic 100 years on - Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
BBC2 Timewatch did a good program last night. "Myths Of The Titanic". Really did cast aside a lot of the fairytales. It will be on iplayer for the next 7 days!
 WrogermeWroger
Msg: 5
Titanic 100 years on -
Posted: 4/8/2012 5:26:15 AM
Around a month a go some scientist people worked out that "not that long" before the Titanic sailed that there was a combination of lunar and solar super high tide on the part of the earth that broke off stacks of ice bergs, and then enabled a lot of them to come across the Labrador "shallows"?????? and into the shipping lanes.

That the captain was very experienced in doing that run and inspite of ice warnings, from a near by ship and hussling by the company designer (that weasle???) to keep the speed up for the record breaking first run - which he as a captain was a fool - but the chain of circumstances of the SUPER high tides and his reasonable expectations of the route to be clear of ice, it was not to be.

A few weeks later..... in the press.

I read an article about the NEW museum in Ireland - where the Titanic got built - complete with a replica of the grand staircase etc., and I just wished that the bloody needle would grind it's way through the 78 and the long playing necrophilliac track would come to an end.

"It's like this whole thing is absolutely DONE TO DEATH" and next week, there will be another program and in a few more months - there will be another another program or publication or research papers.....

And in a few more months... and and and and

I am just sick of hearing about it....
 vlad dracul
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Titanic 100 years on -
Posted: 4/8/2012 6:02:13 AM
there will always be interest in the titanic, its just one of those stories that will forever
be investigated and looked into.

but i remember reading about this refugee ship being sunk during ww2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff

The figures from the research of Heinz Schön make the total lost in the sinking to be about 9,343 men, women, and children. This would make it the largest loss of life in a single sinking in maritime history.

either way what a bloody horrible way to go. i'd much rather pop my clogs after having a good old
guzzle of the wreck the hoose juice down in the boozer.
 Tayfire
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Titanic 100 years on -
Posted: 4/8/2012 10:07:49 AM
There was a double page about it in a local sunday paper this morning and it claims if the ship hit the iceberg head on it wouldn't have sunk? but because it was a glancing blow to it's side that's why?

There is a tourist attration exibition in Orlando in International Drive where you get shown around by a man in costum,also a big block of ice you can touch and also you get taken on which is ment to be part of the deck of the ship. I visited this when i went there in 2006.
 xxmistyxx
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Titanic 100 years on -
Posted: 4/8/2012 3:39:52 PM
I am slightly disgusted with some aspects of it all..

I think the cruise ship that is going to where the Titanic sank will give the families some insight as to how there loved ones died or survived and also the chance to say a final goodbye...

The items that have been recovered from the wreck over the years should ,if it/they belonged to a passenger then the items should be given back to their family and not sold at auctionin one huge lot...

The 4 part series being shown I see no reason why it should to me it looks like a film been cut into quarters... We have had 2 films that is enough...
 xxmistyxx
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Titanic 100 years on -
Posted: 4/9/2012 2:48:54 PM

The chance to say a last goodbye,to someone that died a hundred years ago?.

Now that was taken out of context.... They will be able to remember and say goodbye at the place where the ship sank..They will be able to see where their loved ones died or survived but suffered lots in the cold and throughout thier lives with nightmares etc..

Quote me again if you so wish but I will not come back to this thread..

50 years ago many who were on the ship that survived had grandchildren who they told their tales to many of those grand children are STILL alive and feel their grandparents pain...
 stonecastle
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Titanic 100 years on -
Posted: 4/11/2012 2:48:24 AM
By the way an interesting coincidence is that back in 1898 another ship sank, the Titan. It was back then the biggest ever made by men, unequaled regarding her luxury & technology, her nineteen water-tight compartments would allow her to keep floating even if nine of them were flooded, making her "practically unsinkable", that's why she carried only 24 lifeboats able to carry 500 people. The total passenger capacity of the titan was 3000. The titan also sank in April after also being pierced by an iceberg on her starboard side, the disaster took place in the north atlantic ocean, a few hundreds miles off u.s. coast, the collision happened near midnight for the titan & exactly 11.40pm for the titanic! But while the Titanic was a real ship the Titan was fictional written about in a novel called Futility by American author Morgan Robertson.
 stonecastle
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Titanic 100 years on -
Posted: 4/12/2012 6:35:12 AM
I don't think that long range submarines had been invented back then in 1912. Submarines were quite primitive until World War II in 1939.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Titanic 100 years on -
Posted: 1/8/2013 5:23:32 AM
Well I have a friend who says about me 'the only thing he hasn't been down on is the Titanic'. . Pays to advertise :-)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >