Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jojoaus
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Meeting the new boyfriend/girlfriendPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I must admit I am a little conflicted about this kind of scenario. I separated from my daughter's father when she was 6 and did not date til she was 16 and had her own b/f! I am not suggesting that this is the way to go but I had a lot of reflecting and growing to do because of emotional abuse from my ex.

I work with preschoolers, and by and large they are open, resilient and just happy to make new friends. Just because mum or dad says.. 'Hey! This is my friend so-and-so. Lets play!' the child is NOT going to become attached all that fast. As long as mum/dad is a constant.. its all good. I see kiddies attaching to caregivers at work and then forming new attachments as carers leave and are replaced. I know it is not exactly the same but just like us, children have the capacity to like/love a large number of people.

While I do NOT advocate the revolving door thing, I honestly think that the children seeing mum/dad interacting happily with another adult is actually a positive. My SO does not get this and when his 12 year old is around, he does not act as he usually does, ie no spontaneous hugs or touching. I tell him... how do you expect K to form an idea of a normal relationship when you do not act as you normally would around me?

OP I think you probably handled it well. You did not say how long you have been seeing the guy, and I suppose that may have some bearing on things. So tricky. But do NOT feel bad- you have not irreparably damaged your child. Go with your instincts :)
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >