Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 part deux
Msg: 242
George Zimmerman (watchguard) is in FBI custody!Page 7 of 31    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31)
Mysteria, you claim to have been stopped by the police while in a housing project, what in the world does that have to do with a civillian chasing down and shooting an unarmed teen?Do you not see the fundamental difference between the police and a civillian?
And if it is not worth responding, then why did you post? Do you think it makes you seem clever?

Ps, your bs. complaint about another poster was rejected by the real mods, so maybe you should stop behaving like you have the right to try and censure others.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 243
George Zimmerman (watchguard) is in FBI custody!
Posted: 4/20/2012 4:36:10 PM
lol, you said that once before & I proved you wrong, lol such a short memory you have

Not really, you didn't prove anything of the sort. You only proved what I said about your posts. Clowning around and repeating uncorroborated information from dubious sources doesn't convince anyone of the truthfulness of your assertions. It only reinforces the doubts and the opinions of those that believe that there is much racism behind the effort to demonize Trayvon Martin.

So you know, tomorrow I will take the time to write a post to show clearly what I said about your posts and your campaign of intentional mis-information.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 245
Posted: 4/20/2012 5:05:40 PM

Ps, your bs. complaint about another poster was rejected by the real mods, so maybe you should stop behaving like you have the right to try and censure others.

And here I was trying to figure out who was asleep at the babysittin that was suppose to be going on here....have we got ourselves a self-appointed forum Zimmerman?

I prefer to remove race from the equation and look at the "Stand Your Ground Law"....and if one applies Murphy's first law: "If it can go wrong it will"...then one can see why "Stand Your Ground" is a recipe for needless killing of innocent people.
 part deux
Msg: 246
Posted: 4/20/2012 5:17:36 PM
Bad, I just don't understand how chasing after someone is standing your ground? Isn't that the antithesis of standing your ground?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 249
Posted: 4/20/2012 5:45:49 PM
Bad, I just don't understand how chasing after someone is standing your ground? Isn't that the antithesis of standing your ground

Deux, I don't know what is real or fabricated in this case...he chased-he didn't chase...yada yada yada.
My issue is with the John Wayne cowboy western "Stand your grain of sand" law.

If your on the ground with someone on top of you, you don't have a choice but to stand your ground. Not a great chance for escape in that senario. It seems that is one likely senario that could of happene

Thing is the eye witness accounts, in this case, are conflicting....I would rather see a trial by jury decide the meits or demerits of Zimmerman's account.

And it's not that I doubt the voracity of the newly released picture of the bloody Zimmerman head...but, the timing is impecible...and a month after the event...which is plenty of time for photo-shopping or not.
 Rainiqui
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2012 7:32:20 PM
part deux -

Bad, I just don't understand how chasing after someone is standing your ground?

In at least four of your posts in this thread, you appear to be convinced that Zimmerman "chased" after Martin. Would it be possible for you to cite your sources that a chase did in fact occur or is this just your opinion? I am curious as to what led you to become convicted of the "truth" of the "chase".
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 253
Posted: 4/20/2012 7:38:06 PM

In at least four of your posts in this thread, you appear to be convinced that Zimmerman "chased" after Martin. Would it be possible for you to cite your sources that a chase did in fact occur or is this just your opinion? I am curious as to what led you to become convicted of the "truth" of the "chase".

There would be two things:
1) Trayvon Martin was talking to his girlfriend on his cell as he was walking back from the store and said there was a creepy guy following him. His girlfriend suggested he run, Trayvon said he was just going to walk quickly.

2)Zimmerman told the police in his 911 call that he was following Trayvon.
 statemachine500
Msg: 254
Posted: 4/20/2012 7:40:09 PM
Really? At 7pm? What about if they'd been elderly, still suspicious? Female? Walking a dog, or pushing a baby carriage, male or female? Still suspicious?
At 7pm it was dark,and he had his hoodie up.Yes there was light rain.He wasn't elderly,female,or walking a dog,he appeared to be loitering to Zimmerman.Zimmerman was trying to thwart further break ins in the community.If you were walking home on a direct route I doubt you would attract attention.It's the loitering part.Seeing as your family has a number of RC's I find it surprising you take this view.
 Rainiqui
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2012 10:19:03 PM
Actually, my question was addressed to part deux....

There would be two things:
1) Trayvon Martin was talking to his girlfriend on his cell as he was walking back from the store and said there was a creepy guy following him. His girlfriend suggested he run, Trayvon said he was just going to walk quickly.

2)Zimmerman told the police in his 911 call that he was following Trayvon.

but thanks for giving your opinion. I have never really considered "follow' and "chase" to be synonyms.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 12:26:31 AM
irish
i seldom agree with you about anything but for this once your spot on it
is about a law. but im afraid the race element was introduced on page 1 within
the first few posts

lily (again)
you seem to know a lot about the case hen? knowing who was thinking what
and all. you privy to info us mere mortals do not get?

and finally the bladder,
''OK well I guess we should all take a deep breath, relax & let the jury & judge deal with it.
none of the people posting here (to my knowledge) is on the jury, or is/will be the judge for the case, so any opinion any of us have means..
*drum roll, please** "exactly nothing !" (and not a CAPS lock in SIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

i at last read something the daywalker wrote and agree with i must go and lie down
in a darkened room

p.s any spelling or grammer mistakes blame liberton secondary school and the useless
education system in uk schools

toodle pip
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 260
Posted: 4/21/2012 4:58:30 AM

Well if Aunt Juanita kept it in her purse for a month and just came forward with it you may not be considered a conspiracy theory loon. However it was taken by police on the night of the incident and held as evidence ever since so I guess you are wanting to disparage the entire Seminole County police department and others at this point before the trial even begins.

http://gma.yahoo.com/warning-graphic-photo-possible-evidence-shows-george-zimmermans-050145810--abc-news-topstories.html

Sorry, link cannot be found.

ABC has the exclusive photo...and their report states that they just obtained it (from where?) and that investigators have viewed it...what exactly all that means is beyond me.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 261
Posted: 4/21/2012 6:32:35 AM

Well if Aunt Juanita kept it in her purse for a month and just came forward with it you may not be considered a conspiracy theory loon. However it was taken by police on the night of the incident and held as evidence ever since so I guess you are wanting to disparage the entire Seminole County police department and others at this point before the trial even begins.

http://gma.yahoo.com/warning-graphic-photo-possible-evidence-shows-george-zimmermans-050145810--abc-news-topstories.html

Sorry, link cannot be found.

ABC has the exclusive photo...and their report states that they just obtained it (from where?) and that investigators have viewed it...what exactly all that means is beyond me.

I second your doubt!

At this point there seems to be a concerted campaign of dis-information going on in order to poison the public's mind about this case. No matter what the true evidence that will be shown during the trial, people will be asking what about the picture with the bloody head? where is the picture of the broken nose? They will, in their own minds, have reasonable doubts in case of a conviction. It is, IMO, a well orchestrated campaign to wrest legitimacy away from the judicial system when things don't seem to be going their way.

Think about it. Now they have, supposedly, a picture of the bloody head that came from the Seminole County police department. Why would they release such a picture after the Zimmerman defense asked for the records to be sealed?

And why would ABC put out a report without corroboration as to the authenticity of the picture? Who owns ABC?

Who are the people that paid Geraldo Rivera and Alan Dershowitz to sow the seeds of distrust of the facts and the legitimacy of the judicial process in a crime involving someone by the name of George Zimmerman?
 CharminC
Msg: 262
Posted: 4/21/2012 2:18:20 PM

If the account of what occurred, according to Zimmerman & if the pics of his wounds are real, I would think the autopsy report on Trayvon would indicate the presence of cuts, scrapes, bruising & blood, (both his & Zimmerman's). I think they would be able to determine by his gun shot wound the position he was in when shot, on top as Zimmerman claims or on the bottom defending himself. As much blood as the vid shows, some of it must have splattered on Trayvon, this too should be in the autopsy report & his clothes should be evidence. If Trayvon had hit Zimmerman with the can of ice tea, this should be evidence & could show signs of Zimmerman's blood &/or dented also. This would not prove who started the fight or why but it can show that Zimmerman's claims of self defense just might be what actually happened.

Finally, a logical post worth reading.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:43:34 PM
Mission accomplished. Most Americans are so distracted from the root of the problem, ALEC/NRA Stand Your Ground Laws, that most of the energy is going into judgement on this particular case and the Dirty Harry Laws will go unchallenged.

With all the media and hype around this case, it is going to be difficult to find an untainted jury pool. Odds are good at this point that a mistrial will be declared due to lack of finding an unbiased jury.
 statemachine500
Msg: 265
Posted: 4/21/2012 6:24:33 PM

I'll be waiting for the riots after Zimmerman is let off. The Black Community is not going to sit back and accept the notion that a black teen can be stopped on the street and shot by someone who profiled him as a loiterer.

The "hoody" bs is the most ridiculous part of this whole case. I wear hoodies too and I don't think of myself as being a suspicious character for doing so.
Maybe you can take your white ass down there and join them in the rioting?A hoody worn deep effectively conceals your identity.I would steer clear of any person wearing a hoodie in this manner at night.
 matchlight
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 8:54:08 PM

The Supreme Court needs to shoot down this law and force State Legislatures to rewrite it where people can't just catch people on the street and shoot them and get away with it.

And I'm sure it will--if there are state laws that really allow that. Someone posted the text of the Florida law here, and I don't think it's unreasonable at all. It certainly doesn't make it legal to track a person down and kill him. You're supposed to be backing up, not pursuing.

You can't start trouble with someone, and then when he's beating the living daylights out of you in defending himself, shoot him dead, and make your self-defense claim stick. All these laws really do, as I understand them, is extend the traditional law of self-defense to encounters that take place outdoors. Justice usually follows common sense. It's much easier to convince people you were right to use deadly force to defend your life, or someone else's, if the trouble came to you, than if you went looking for it.

I don't see how it would be any easier to convict Zimmerman if this law didn't exist. When there isn't much clear, straightforward evidence, it's especially hard to prove someone guilty of a crime.
 russell5417
Msg: 267
Posted: 4/22/2012 6:34:14 AM
msg 399............you are talking about your racist attitude................... aren't you?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 11:23:49 AM

It's time to be honest about Trayvon Martin, the criminal thug who assaulted George Zimmerman.

Yet more proof that Stand Your Ground laws are dangerous. Idiots running around afraid of everyone, shooting first. Vigilantes given a license to be judge, jury and executioner because their amygdalas rule their lives.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 270
Posted: 4/22/2012 11:45:45 AM
George Zimmerman didn't shoot first. Trayvon Martin assaulted him.

An mysteriously, another eye-witness crawls out of the woodwork.

All kidding aside Stand Your Ground is a barbaric law...it's the cowboy shoot em up law made for the wild wild west...yet, brought to Main Street USA
 matchlight
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:16:49 PM
^^^^I'm only saying that evidence of aggression tends to weaken a self-defense argument. How or if that will apply here, I don't know.
 russell5417
Msg: 272
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:21:25 PM
If Trayvon Martin DID have a gun, and DID shoot George Zimmerman, he (Martin) would be innocent under the current "stand your ground" law.

But that didn't happen.......Trayvon Martin was shot and killed by George Zimmerman, who was the one to FOLLOW Martin. George Zimmerman evidently made a choice to get out of his car after catching up to Martin.

Zimmerman shot and killed an unarmed teenage boy that had to stand HIS ground (if we are to believe the accounts of Zimmermans wounds).

This should be a no brainer. Regardless of Trayvon's background...........regardless of his dads parenting skills. Basically, in laymens terms, Zimmerman shot and killed an innocent teenage boy, in the early evening, because he (Zimmerman) decided that the teenage boy (Martin) didn't belong on (Zimmermans) "turf".

Zimmerman is a criminal, that was displaying gang banger mentality.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:29:55 PM
The Stand Your Ground laws not only made the defense of the killer more flexible in the vagueries of the language, but prosecutors and judges can also apply the laws arbitrarily and subject to political pressures. In neighboring Georgia, a much more compelling justifiable homicide found the shooter to be guilty of murder and face a life sentence.
http://www.salon.com/2012/04/11/when_stand_your_ground_fails/
Chief Justice Leah Ward Sears who argued, “the State failed to disprove John McNeil’s claim of self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt.” She went on to write:
"Even viewed in the light most favorable to the verdict, the evidence was overwhelming in showing that a reasonable person in McNeil’s shoes would have believed that he was subject to an imminent physical attack by an aggressor possessing a knife and that it was necessary to use deadly force to protect himself from serious bodily injury or a forcible felony. Under the facts of this case, it would be unreasonable to require McNeil to wait until Epp succeeded in attacking him, thereby potentially disarming him, getting control of the gun, or stabbing him before he could legally employ deadly force to defend himself. This is not what Georgia law requires."

The danger of being shot by someone with irrational fears, is compounded by a use of lethal force on civilians by police as well.
http://www.alternet.org/rights/107001/%22justifiable_homicides%22_are_on_the_rise%3A_have_self-defense_laws_gone_too_far/?page=entire

Ohio State law professor and criminal justice expert Joshua Dressler explains, the castle doctrine basically dictates "that your home is your castle; it's the one place where you should be able to be free from intrusion." This idea has provided the legal basis for self-defense legislation across the country for years -- legislation that traditionally has also acknowledged a person's "duty to retreat" in the face of a threatening situation. "The law has always taken the view for self-defense that someone can use deadly force to respond to what the person reasonably believes is a threat," explains Dressler. But, he adds, "the old law tended to be that people ought not to use deadly force until absolutely necessary. They tended to require people to find non-deadly solutions."......

Although the report got little attention in the press, an article in USA Today quoted criminal justice experts who cited "an emerging 'shoot-first' mentality by police and private citizens" as a possible explanation.

Dressler agrees. "What's been happening is that a lot of states have broadened their homicide rules to give greater authority to citizens to use deadly force in circumstances that in the past would not have been permissible," he says. Expanding "stand your ground" style legislation "means that there are going to be, in the future, many more homicides perpetrated by citizens against other citizens -- homicides that were in the past viewed as criminal now will be seen as justifiable."

"If you talk to prosecutors, the message that they're getting is, really, don't even prosecute cases that come close to the category of what is now deemed 'just homicides.'"

Whether a killing is "just" or not is currently determined by local police departments, to whom the concept is long familiar. "Police, of course, use justifiable homicide, both in self-defense and in crime prevention," explains Dressler, "but now a couple things are happening. One is the reality that … thanks to the NRA, some fairly conservative judges, Republicans, we've really become an armed nation. Far more people possess guns today than in the more distant past, and that means that when a police officer is dealing with someone, they have much greater reason to fear that the person they're dealing with is armed." This, perhaps, helps to explain the rise in "justifiable homicides" committed by police (not to mention the rise of "non-lethal" weapons like tasers, themselves deadly weapons).

The recent FBI study is not the first time the government has tracked the number of "justifiable homicides" committed by police alongside those committed by civilians as if they were equivalent phenomena. But given that police officers are, at least in theory, trained to be uniquely authorized to use force in a law enforcement capacity, to what extent do these new laws blur the distinction between police and civilians?

"I think the creed of the NRA is that citizens/civilians have the right to use deadly force because the police don't (or cannot) protect us," says Dressler. "So, under that view, yes, the distinction is blurring."
 Imported_labor
Msg: 275
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:36:33 PM
The tape recording of the 911 dispatcher is more than sufficient evidence to prove that Zimmerman was the aggressor. While he was talking with the dispatcher, Zimmerman was very excited when he said "He's running." and was breathing heavily when he was told not to follow Trayvon. Still Zimmerman was remarking: "He ran.."

If that is not proof that Zimmerman created the situation which ended with him killing Trayvon Martin after he profiled him as someone who was trying to commit a crime, I don't know what is.

Dershowitz may say what he wants, but he is not an unbiased participant in this case. Does Dershowitz normally make this kind of statements about all murder cases. If not, then why he is trying to poison the public's mind about this case. Does the name of George Zimmerman have anything to do with his reprehensible behaviour? For all those interested in the issue of the bloody head of George Zimmerman, a while back I posted a link to the opinion of the Florida Chief Medical Examiner, who said that there doesn't seem to be evidence of cuts on the head or nose of the triggerman.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >