Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Phone scams??Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I haven't heard of this but it sounds like at some stage he would have asked for 'specific' details, either bank or personal etc. Other possibility and bear in mind, I think this one is highly unlikely and I don't want to worry you is that he was checking if the house was occupied or was trying to get access to your internet.

You did exactly the right thing in challenging him, even better that you said you had a mac.

Doubt if there is a lot you can do about it unless you had caller number showing so could report to your phone company. Might be worthwhile giving local police a call although I doubt if they would do anything.

I wonder how many people will be caught out by this. Probably quite a few elderly that don't know much about computers and think this is genuine (and of course others who are just gullible).

Just did a quick search and came up with this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres
 try1more
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 4/13/2012 6:17:02 AM
with windows you can give anybody on the net full control of your computer, thats why they need to talk you through it "you have to enable it" which would allow them to do whatever they wanted and install anything they chose to.
it exists to allow remote tech support, never allow it is the best advice i can offer.

edit:
here's a couple of links that describe it

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300546

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Remote_Assistance

note it's xp and all versions after.
 try1more
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 4/13/2012 11:52:34 AM
it's hard to believe how many people when called by a stranger get taken in!
one rule of thumb is any genuine caller will first say who they are and who they represent.
non genuine callers will not, it doesn't matter if they ask to speak to you by name know your age sex and preferred colour of underwear, just say no! not interested! and hang up!
or just hang up.
even for any otherwise genuine caller don't tell them anything.
if they ask they are not genuine, if they are genuine and it's important they will stick it in the mail asking you to contact them.
in which case you should use the number in the book or at least one you "know" is theirs.
the quicker you cut them off the less likely they will call back.
if you give them any time the more likely they will call back, as they will see that as you being unsure and worth another try.
 Tayfire
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 4/14/2012 10:13:27 AM
Iv'e had something similar like this a few months ago. stating " There's something wrong with your computer?" I replyed there's nothing wrong with my computer and put the phone down.LoL. I knew about this scam as i read about it in a local paper. I haden't long just bought a new computer last september. All there wanting is to get you on-line and get your bank details.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 8/2/2012 10:15:51 PM
my ex was getting phone calls last year for 'microsoft' saying the same about
her computer needing sorted.

luckily we were both at my lassies when she told me and so i looked the number
up that the calls were coming from i think it was
0123456789 and from what she said they sounded like they were from the
indian sub continent

IF a number is left check it with this lot or just do a search and see if its a scam

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/0123456789/12

some scary stories on the forums on various sites about this. one wummin in sweden
parted with nearly £400, she said they actually made her believe it was her fault.

on a lighter note another person on a forum said when asked 'excuse me sir, do you have windows?'
he replied 'yes so fvck off i dont want your double glazing' and put the phone down after
much cursing from the window seller lol
 monty336
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 8/2/2012 10:50:50 PM
i would to know how they take off credit card as terminals are registered, they could clone it . ive had these calls and i have gave them all the details they want but not the correct ones, otherwise i wind them up best i can
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 4/17/2014 12:44:34 PM
I got the Microsoft call, he even asked me to switch it on. I told him someone was at the door and left him hanging on the line. Went back ten mins later and the sad git was still there!

I told him that I don't have a computer and that he should be ashamed of himself and that I had kept him on the line to waste his time and money on the call.. I think he was not all there as he said "oh ok, have a nice day"

Whatever next!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:04:57 AM
I had someone call me up to tell me I had a lot of money coming back from Barclays because of an error in the way they had accounted the interest on a loan. It was a lot of money so I was pretty keen. I agreed with everything she said but when she asked me to hold while she talked to her boss I put the phone down. A few minutes later she rang again and asked to talk to me. I pretended to be someone else, she was unconvinced and reckoned I sounded like me to which I replied I was my brother. Huge fun.

When I get really fed up with someone I tell them I am the son of the person they want to speak to who has just died and today is his funeral - works a charm.
 Chuzz16
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 4/18/2014 8:24:25 AM

i like those nice young men who always ask "how are you today..?"

Me too _nx_. I had one today who called to ask if I want solar panels put on my roof. He said I would get my money back within 10 years. I told him with all my health issues I would be lucky to be around in 10 years.

He told me my attitude to life wasn't a good one

''On the contrary'' I said. ''If I didn't have the attitude I've got, I would have been dead years ago.''

I wonder if he will leave it a year or two before he phones back to see if I'm still in need of his solar panels.
 try1more
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 4/20/2014 4:20:18 AM
cant help wondering if it's the scammer that hangs up if they call one of those oldies desperate to talk to someone, or if they listen to their whole life story :-)
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 38
Phone scams??
Posted: 11/27/2016 2:47:47 AM
As it's the 'Season of Goodwill' - thought I'd bump this one.
As always - if it seems too good to be true.......
(as with that other recent thread)
Take care out there guys ( 'n' gals) !

try1more
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 11/28/2016 5:04:06 AM
never mind phone scams what about the black friday and cyber monday scams?

i was looking at something on sunday which had free delivery (online only seller)
this was reduced on monday "but" delivery was extra making the total saving of minus one penny, it cost 1p more on cyber monday :-)
my x bought something for a grandson and saved 1p which she said will go towards a new kitchen :-)

if you can make a real saving it's because they have wharehouses full of crap they can't sell!
so the biggest savings are for things you neither want or need and may very well not end up using.
for me if there is something i want or need it's worth a look even if it's just to be amused by what it will cost you to save a few bob :-)

so whats with all the crowds fighting to get ripped off?
folk have been shooting each other in america!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 11/28/2016 6:13:54 AM
Of course it is all nonsense. I sell design, build and sell kitchens. Every year we get people rushing in to get a comparative quote before the Magnet's 50% discount closes. And we have yet to fail to beat it. All year round. Lots of people do believe it though.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 43
Phone scams??
Posted: 11/28/2016 9:47:54 AM
I love the internet clearance sites trying to shift bulk clothing on to newbie retailers -
if the big boys couldn't give it away -
how much chance do you stand?
I'm in a small town & I've seen 13 'clothing' shops start & fail in under six years.
People never learn............

Justanotherchap
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 11/28/2016 10:20:13 AM
Met a guy who used to run a kitchen shop and put intriguing signs in his windows. One was "buy one, get one". Some people thought they were going to get 2 kitchens. Eventually trading standards followed up on a complaintnd made him take it down.
 try1more
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Phone scams??
Posted: 11/28/2016 8:30:57 PM
had a phone call from a company giving away double glazing, you only paid for the fitting.
i told him i already had double glazing, so he insisted on telling me how theirs was so much better than all the others and of course it's free you only have to pay to have it fitted!
so i said, tell you what, you drop me free units in the front garden and if i think they're better i can fit em meself if not i'll sell em on....he hung up?

the councils have their own scam it's called resident parking.
they were trying it on here a while ago, i guess too many told em where to stuff it!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >