Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Spirituality and attraction      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pappy009
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Spirituality and attractionPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
--I'm curious, do spiritual people here look beyond the physical aspects when measuring attractiveness of someone?--
--What is the spiritual view on all this?--

The impression I get from your question is that Spiritual matters are seperate from physical matters. Being a human being is a spiritual experience. Is there really a separation. It matters not if you believe in a "something". The funny thing about love, is that some people tend to see relationships as property. Its like clothes, the better I dress the more successful I look and feel. And its true, if you focus your attention on your Ego. When people are this way, the relationship becomes clothing and clothing never last. Then again theres another way of looking at this, what if you wore clothes that made you happy instead of significant. Happy is obviously better, wouldn't you say.
Imagine driving down the street, you glance over to park bench, you see two very old people sitting there man/wife and they are holding hands. That to me is one of the most beautiful expressions of love. And then it clicks, Love is when you care about someone, more than you care about yourself. Those two thru the yrs had there ups and downs, had their time raising children, in and out of jobs, struggles. Its a matter of, that other significant is the reason I am happy to be here, now!
I once asked some friends of mine, what is it that you want out of your relationship. The men boiled it down after a while with this conversation. What they desired or wanted wasn't only a physical relationship, what they wanted is. "I want my family to be happy, my wife, my kids and so on". What the ladies said was the same but with a twist, a good twist. They seem to be happiest when they know that there man is taking care of them the way a woman can take care of a man. The way a woman takes care of her children from that man. What the ladies wanted was a Secure Relationship. In a relationship as such, there is no Ego.
This made me think that there is only one true relationship between people and that is spiritual. Body, mind and Soul. If one of these elements is missing, your in for a rough road. That does not mean that sometime in your life that these three objectives will not manifest if they were not present in the begining. Thats where comprimise comes in, the Ego is put aside. The bond becomes secure.
All relationships are spiritual in nature, maybe not in substance. One that lacks substance does not last. With every mistake you learn.
Everything you do is a spiritual experience.
Reminds me of something I read...bear with me...
When a lion eats a man, the lion becomes the man, when a man eats a lion then the lion becomes a man....the lion is your Ego. What part of you is in control.
So you can see, the "Way I Think of This" is. Its a spiritual love that is without Ego. Were not animal preserving our spieces in a bush. We are spiritual being experiencing a physical life with physical instincts and a mode of survival called Ego. Once that is put to rest, then you are free.
Spiritual love is when you love someone more than you love yourself. Just like two old people holding hands on a bench.
 musicfellow38
Msg: 10
Spirituality and attraction
Posted: 4/16/2012 8:11:59 AM

Some people do glow (like your username states), I think it's just that you can see they are happy/loved.
It's odd...that's what I see when I look at my children, so maybe it's less about the person and more about the observer.

Social status is bogus, people who are attracted to those types are exhibiting less intelligence and more animism.

As a society/species we have developed excuses for our instinctive behavior but attempted to maintain our dignity by proclaiming superior intellects. Unfortunately it doesn't work both ways.
Either you're an animal or an enlightened (aware) being, make a choice and go with it.

With all respect given in the world, and I hope this is taken as only fun discussion when I say this...

I completely disagree with every single word of the entire quote... almost to the degree of believing the exact opposite. to elaborate would start me ranting... and I'll wait and see if anyone is even interested in that. Especially the poster.. which I'm happy to... no argument fishing here. just joining the conversation... respectfully of course.
 magnificent_glow
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/17/2012 10:30:36 AM
thanks for all the input on the subject. I think maybe my idea of spirituality was close to the hippie thing, everyone sharing with each other. being open to the "pretty" and not so pretty....lol though I'm not so sure how much of that actually went on back then, since I wasnt there.
 null_locus_accede
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/17/2012 11:15:14 AM
Why would a spiritual inclination seek to commit to an aspect that can only degrade over time.
 magnificent_glow
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/17/2012 1:00:33 PM

Why would a spiritual inclination seek to commit to an aspect that can only degrade over time.

is there something that doesnt degrade over time?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/17/2012 2:02:12 PM

is there something that doesnt degrade over time?

Time.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2012 3:32:50 PM
Actually, Aristotle, since time is linked to gravity, and according to what we think we know now, that the Universe is expanding, then that means that as things move further apart, gravity declines, and therefore Time itself, degrades.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/17/2012 5:20:26 PM
^^^
Good point.
 A_Gent
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/17/2012 6:13:54 PM
It is one of the "Chemistries" necessary to sustain a relationship.

Physical

Emotional

Intellectual/mental

Spiritual/soul
 musicfellow38
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/17/2012 6:33:16 PM
By special request and dedicated to Mejehoward. ;)

This is for you so I wont bother putting context on this.

so here we go... step by step...

so for starters, I COULD be misinterpreting this all wrong and maybe we agree more than I thought... but taken another way, well, i originally took it more literally and thus, disagree...

"Some people do glow".... taken literally, I dont think I'm alone when i disagree... aside from wearing something that glows of course. I interpreted it as an "aura" which as far as all inquiry has ever found, is fictional. However, if you're talking about body language and interpretations of THAT, additudes and so on, then of course I DONT disagree at all.

"maybe it's less about the person and more about the observer. " I think this statement is true so I'm already backpaddling as I dont actually disagree with EVERYTHING but it still depends on context. Since it's YOU who think other people glow, and if you mean that literally, then it is CERTAINLY more about the observer than the person being observed.

"Social status is bogus, people who are attracted to those types are exhibiting less intelligence and more animism." I'm mixed on this quote. it sounds more like a passion statement from an ethical idealistic but intelleigent person. I could easily be caught sayingn something similar but if I were hard core real about it, social status is at least somewhat important to all of us when choosing a mate or finding them attractive. Statistically, women find success and power is an attractive feature for men to have. Not universally of course.... Men may even find the opposite, finding it intimidating to be coupled with a more powerful woman. Again, not universally, just statistically very relevant. However, with all else being equal, would you not favour a man with an admirable career, reputation and means of support to a homeless man with no impressive background to speak of? Social status DOES play a part and it's not necessarily unintelligent to at least recognize it. at least on some level... but there ARE extremes, gold diggers, sugar daddies/mommies, etc... obviously so to THAT extreme, I at least can apreciate the statment, regardless of nitpicking.

As for the word animisn, which I had to look up by the way, I can see how intelligence and animism can not co-exist... but that's my little teasing jab there... doesn't sound like a very intelligent thing to take seriously... but again, just looked it up so I'm no authority.

I'm going to do the rest later... gotta go for now.
 musicfellow38
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/17/2012 9:00:26 PM
I HAVE to reply to this right away!

First, that may be the most intelligent, humorously appropriate and effective reply to make me do a near 180 of my interpretation of a post.

Consider my first post "taken back" and I stand corrected.

Well done!

I guess my only thing I'd question for the sake of seeing the game through to the end, is that I don't understand why being an uber intelligent "enlightened" being is any less "animal" for being so. Or maybe I'm jumping the gun again and missing the implied mockery of "enlightened" being anything more than an evolutionary quality of a link of a very large and complex animal chain.
 musicfellow38
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/17/2012 9:04:53 PM
Not only am I dying to know how you reply, I'm also now, very curious about how you would explain "spirituality" for me. It's always been a near meaningless word once all interpretions are compared. Regardless of the answer, I'm looking forward to the read.
 musicfellow38
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/18/2012 8:06:36 AM
I have to disagree with the idea that "spiritual" people are less vain.

And before I rant, this is against the wording and ideas implied in the post. Not ranting at the person as person. So, to poster, feel free to correct me if I misinterpreted something. I've been guilty of that before. But if taken in the spirit of fun discussion, here I go.

If for no other reason than the statement itself is grasping at something, anything it seems, even something completely non definable to separate them from other people, and imply a moral higher ground. The reasoning itself actually suggests MORE vain to me. When someone is desperate to feel as if they are "better" than other people but don't actually excel at anything measurable or "real" enough to do the trick, other words and myths are made up to apply that can't be refuted properly because the definition is vague and the rules can be changed to whatever makes you feel as if you are better than others. Thus, a religion can be created to make virtuous what was once a weakness or sin. Less educated than others? Make it a virtue to have to rely on faith in the stories you're familiar and comfortable with despite being only a small amount of information in the vast sea of knowledge and is not based on evidence.

Commit a crime or something you're not proud of? No problem! Create a myth (or choose an existing one) where your guilt is actually a virtue, thus actually somehow making you feel morally superior to those who don't see guilt as a virtue and thus more motivated to avoid the guilt, and thus the crime, in the first place.

Feeling ordinary? Say you're more "spiritual" than others. How does. One become more spiritual? Just say that you are because no one can prove you're not and no Ome can really tell a real spiritual person from a fake anyway... BUT, people who SAY they are more spiritual than others simply have a need to feel more "something" than others without having to make any actual changes in their lives that might help them feel better than others.

Point being, the need to feel better, morally superior, special, is VAIN to me.

Also, why is it that when someone doesnt believe in something without evidence that they don't believe in anything? NOBODY believes in nothing. It's just something else.
 musicfellow38
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/18/2012 9:31:52 AM
I'm not quoting here as I'm on iPhone but Meja, this is for you.

You strike me as someone who thinks quite a lot, critically and thoroughly but have yet been able to abandon some of your early learnings, terminology and expectations of the world and universe. You seem to know what it is people are labeling "spirituality" and are probably correct. Yet, you use the term anyway, probably because others tend to relate despite the word implying "spirit" or some other supernatural entitlement to that "something more" you refer to.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue against there being "something more". Of course there is. We see something more everyday with telescopes and microscopes. We learn more every day about the "drive" behind the universe through physics, quantum mechanics and so on. However, these aren't the answers we were originally expecting. We have a very deep root of stories, legend, ideas and thus perspective and expectations of the universe. We also humanize EVERYTHING. we give gender to objects. We literally give and see human traits in the objects that surround us, make the front of cars look like faces, see human body parts in vegetables, we see US in EVERYTHING. we expect it. It makes sense to us even when it doesn't logically. We see AND FEEL the humanness in the universe. Many call it God. Many call it "Something more that drives the universe".

We're nor trying to learn the truth. We're trying to satisfy and justify our expectations. We are asking questions that have already been answered but not to our satisfaction because it wasn't what we expected. It wasn't god/human/us, etc.

If you FOUND that something else you're looking for, the wizard behind the curtain pulling all the strings, would you stop thinking "there must be something more that drives the universe"? If so, why would you stop wondering if there isn't something more?
 magnificent_glow
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/19/2012 7:10:30 AM
is it fair to say that there are two main aspects to someone calling themselves spiritual?

one would be someone who is opening themselves to possibilities, "seeing things as they are" which would be mainly the eastern philosophy/religions with mindfulness...

the other is thinking that one is special (or superior as mentioned before), with certain destiny ahead which in a way closes them off to possibilities always trying to stay on the path of destiny (maybe not the best way to put it). looking for that special soulmate....
 magnificent_glow
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/19/2012 8:28:41 AM

Best to just chill, enjoy the people you interact with let the world happen.

a bit unusual advice, as if to say its best to stay ignorant. lol tho most likely not what you meant.
 musicfellow38
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/20/2012 8:34:17 AM
In fact, perhaps the very use of the word "spirituality" might be inappropriate then. Like someone misusing the word "ironic" when they actually mean "coincidence". It's popular, SOUNDS cool and everyone else is using it. But what does it really mean? I have to admit, sitting back and not being concerned with understanding the word and the world around us is the easiest way to justify using it and I can see why it feels appropriate to use it to fill in the blank.... The home of ALL supernatural things. The more the world is studied and understood, the less frequent words like "spirituality" are used. It's not that the "spiritual" experience stops happening but better and more appropriate words are used to describe it because we understand it better.

Isn't it ironic that Alanis' song "ironic" contains no examples of "irony"? I think the word "spirituality" gets used in a similar way.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Spirituality and attraction