Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > should weed be legalized whats ur true opinion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 matchlight
Msg: 5
view profile
History
should weed be legalized whats ur true opinionPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
^^^^^The federal courts and Congress don't share your opinion. NORMAL has been claiming for years that the Controlled Substances Act wrongly lists marijuana under its Schedule One, which is for substances that have no officially approved medical use, instead of under Schedule Two, which is for those that do. But after all those thousands of pages of briefs and all the studies they've cited, they haven't been able to sell their argument in the courts. And Congress clearly hasn't bought it, either, because it could have revised the CSA any time to put marijuana in Schedule Two.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 6
view profile
History
should weed be legalized whats ur true opinion
Posted: 4/20/2012 5:14:50 PM
Ya know.. anything in moderation would be fine. Pot is a drug, pure and simple. It affects the brain in a negative way. Yes it helps some illnesses.. but most the scripts out there aren't for illness. They are so folks can get high legally. Just seeing how folks abuse the current laws is enough to show how foolish people are. AND it is about kids getting high ... they are products of their environment. many will not drink and drive because they know they can get tested on the spot and get busted. Not true with pot. So if they have a script they can get by with smelling like weed until its proven they are impared.

To say to legalize it just so CA can get out of debt is stupid. Just say you like getting high and you want it legal.. be honest about it at least. It causes lung issues, short term memory loss, lack of ambition, among other things. Its great for chemo patients, those with glacoma and a few other things... but its still a drug...just because its grown and its green doesn't make it okay.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2012 9:19:56 PM
^^^^ well what if its heroin? or driving fast? or saddism? define other peoples happiness... sometimes someone has to be the adult. I am a mother... and I see what is happening.. and damn my life.. I give a sh*t. So you all dance along spouting your ablity to maintain, and find joy in your oblivian.. and I will try my best to keep my kids and their friends on the right track. Carry on :)
 matchlight
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 11:11:25 AM

Its great for chemo patients, those with glacoma and a few other things.

The evidence that marijuana is a useful medicine for any condition is far from clear. Anecdotes are one thing, and controlled, replicated experiments are another. Even if marijuana is effective for some conditions, FDA also considers the harmful side effects of a drug--some of which you mention--in deciding whether to approve it.

So if they have a script they can get by with smelling like weed until its proven they are impared.

In California, at least, it's illegal to drive while intoxicated by any substance, not just alcohol.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 9:35:42 PM

How does heroin, meth, driving fast, drunk driving, saddism, or anything beyond theft, rape, murder and the like effect anyone else by itself that doesn't use it as long as no real crime is commited beyond it? Any real crime or accident can and should be dealt with strictly on the merit (or demerit if you will) of the crime or accident, not by all of this preventative crap that people use to try and justify just about everything. The majority suffer because of the few with that mentality.

So I guess heroin and meth are next? really? do you actually read what you write? It all starts somewhere. People drive stoned, they are impaired, they are putting others at risk. Their reaction times are beyond slow, the thought process is not at par either. The money we will pay to develope tests to see what legal limits are, how to test to see where they stand, that is on our dime. More people in the court system, more tax money paying for their phuque ups. ... yeah great idea. Now if they are stoned, its against the law plain and simple. No one thinks past their own needs anymore.
 bamslamu2
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/21/2012 9:50:44 PM
i have a idea mary jane nudest colony on ore 20 ackers hoe braken ranch tomass
 Wonder5750
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 7:49:21 AM
As I have stated, I worry for the young people. Adults can do as they please and I know they do. But to think saying smoking pot is okay won't affect our youth is kidding yourself. I am so worried about our youth, they have little hope, they have no ambition as it is. Drive by a high school and really look at the kids. Back in the day we were looking forward to jumping into life, they aren't. I just dont' want to see anything happen that will burden them emotionally further. I think its a rather simple plea. Think about it. Their parents are unable to handle simple life changes because of drugs, legal and illegal.... who is going to stop the process. Talk to them, help them learn how to deal with disappointment. Its the reason most adults smoke pot now. They never learned how to deal with life, its easier to say I deserve... then to say I will work for it. Look at our country. Look at those that feel they are entitled. Look at the generations that have lived on assistance because that is the way they were brought up. You really don't think drugs and alcohol don't have a part in all that? It would be a shame to give a young person any more ammo to use as an excuse to be nonproductive. I am done on this one now. I know its unpopular to be responsible and I know tehre are tons of sites that have "scientific" proof that pot is harmless. But I know what I see in my generation... and it messes ya up for the long hall. I SEE it. If you are young, you don't... yet.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/22/2012 12:53:24 PM
Parents should be controlling their young. Doesnt matter whats legal or illegal whatever your standards are. As opposed to people driving under the influence ... if the current laws havent stopped anyone, do you really think more laws will? Not just police should be policing the streets but friends and family should intervene the best they can if someone is about to drive. As hard as it is and if you arent confrontational then call the cops and tell them which way theyre headed! I dont know anyone using marijuana for pain management go into liver or any other vital organ failure... unlike acetaminaphen, alcohol and others like it !
 Aries_328
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:08:06 PM

All you need is the proper regulation as well as education. Just like with alcohol, it should still be illegal for kids and it should be illegal to drive under the influence, except the penalty for that shouldn't be like it is now. Severe penalties should be reserved for those who commit a crime or get in an accident that is their fault.

I think it is really pretty clear and simple. The laws against it are like prohibition. They are based on moral justifications with overstated nonscientific information as a support. Also... people aren't stupid. Everyone already knows what the long term effects are, what the short term effects are, and that there is ongoing research that may show it is beneficial to some in some cases.

it should be made legal across the country to be managed individually by the states and regulated at a minimum to the level of alcohol and at max to the level of a prescription drug. Allowing 'pot centers' to open up was just stupid and a trick by criminal organizations to pretend to be a legitimate medical industry. We are not that stupid. If it is a legitimate effective medical application than let real doctors prescribe it as needed. End of story on that. If it is regulated to the level of alcohol it can still be prescribed by dr's as much as a glass of wine and anyone using it recreationally will be subject to all of the existing DUI laws without any changes.

All this does is remove it from the criminal enterprises that currently control the access.

It never should have been made illegal in the first place. Mushrooms and LSD also should have legal access. Cocaine, heroin, speed are a different situation due to the rapidly addictive nature but all of them should be available for continued medical testing and possible new applications. Nature has a weird way of making things that people enjoy to abuse very good for certain conditions and very bad to like. I can’t see how mushrooms and LSD don’t have some value in psychotherapy at minimum. I know they have tried forever to find that value and have failed to make the case but it just seems so logical.
 irish_smackie
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/22/2012 10:55:57 PM
I favor legalizing ALL drugs, but think if it ever happens, there should be a limit as to how much health care money should be allotted to detoxing addicts. (Sorry, but this opinion is based on professional experience.)

Also, I think the problem with legalizing marijuana is that there is no effective way to measure quantities in the bloodstream, unlike alcohol (for example), and since the half-life of marijuana is unknown, and it can stay in the bloodstream for god-knows-how-long, and there is no real way of knowing who is under the influence, or how recently it was smoked. This is a big part of the reason why it hasn't been legalized, I think.
 B1gEddd
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/26/2012 1:08:15 AM
If you know your history we can compare weed to the prohibition in which alcohol was made illegal. What was the result of prohibition? Since there continued to be a demand for alcohol (you can't control human behavior) there was a need to supply it. That's basically how the mob came to power.

You see the government doesn't want weed legalized because they are having their cake and eating it too. Not only are the receiving the taxes from medical marijuana and the DEA is also taking drugs, cars, houses, and cash from the drug dealers in this nation. There will always be a demand for weed and any attempts to wipe it out will result in more over crowed jails, more selling drugs by gangs, and an increase in spending mostly to the prison industrial complex.
 IMABROKESTONER
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/27/2012 5:12:30 PM
This is stupidity. Why are all the parents in the world looking for something to blame?
 Truly_Me
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/28/2012 5:32:04 PM
Using weed is a choice we have a right to make for ourselves. Legalization is on its way, and the sooner the better. The drug war is immoral and a huge waste of government resources to boot.
 Truly_Me
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/2/2012 3:50:45 PM

No. There are many hard working pot growers who would be put out of business. Now it is a way to raise revenue for California.

This is a sick and cynical position to hold. The implication is that it's OK for the disastrous war on cannabis users to continue, so that illicit pot farming will remain a lucrative black market practice. Never mind all of the people (many of them kids) who wind up in jail for possession, entering the revolving door of incarceration and real crime.

I'm sure the crime bosses of the 1920's weren't happy about alcohol legalization either. A lot of hard working bootleggers were put out of work at the end of prohibition, but would it have been right to let the violence and extortion continue?

Please, have some compassion for the many, many victims of the drug war.
 Aries_328
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2012 4:50:29 PM

I'm sure the crime bosses of the 1920's weren't happy about alcohol legalization either. A lot of hard working bootleggers were put out of work at the end of prohibition, but would it have been right to let the violence and extortion continue?

And from them we got NASCAR : )
 Socalguy1962
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2012 11:21:29 PM
Yes it should be legalized. I've been a proponent for legalization for a long time.
Tax it, regulate it like cigarettes = a cash cow.

The Drug war is a waste of $$$. During my military career i did plenty of counter drug ops, it was like the little Dutch boy sticking his finger in the hole in the dyke.

Prostitution should be legalized as well. Tax it, regulate it = another cash cow. Seems to work pretty well in the areas of NV where it's legal.
 oh_hell
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/19/2012 8:47:01 PM
If it would save one life to legalize it I'd say yes, since as far as I know it hasn't killed anyone.

As in actuality it would save many thousands of lives I think it's irresponsible to oppose legalization.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/20/2012 12:06:05 PM
I am against general legalization. Here in California, we already have limited legalization (i.e. for medical purposes). However, look at how that system is abused. It is this precise abuse of the system that speaks against general legalization. If only the truly ill had prescriptions (i.e. no abuse) then there would be no technical barrier. Robosigning doctors (and others "on their behalf") don't help.

Driving under the influence is a problem. With alcohol, remember that the repeal of prohibition virtually says that one has a Constitutional right to drink (21st Amendment), but driving is a licensed privilege.
 rod1919us
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2012 10:58:44 PM
California have some of the dumbest laws. I'm 100% for the legalization of weed AAAAAAAAND Prostitution. WHY should we be waisting tax payers' money on keeping pot heads behind bars??? WHY should we be waisting tax payers' money on keeping prostitutes behind bars?? That's a waist of space,time, energy, and money on a whole bunch of nothing. California will never stop people from getting high. They'll never stop women, OR MEN, from doing what they want with their bodies. California so busy trying to keep pot heads, crack heads, prostitutes, etc behind bars, but yet cut funding for schools . The Cal State system sucks *which is why I elected to attend a private university.* People know the effect of weed, crack, etc. If they want to get high let em get high. What they do with their bodies is of no concern to me. Keep the prisons for the Charles Mansons, Grim Sleepers, and the Westside Rapists.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/21/2012 8:31:40 AM
The problem with pot heads or other drug users is that they do effect us.. Same as when a drunk driver gets behind a wheel can kill people. After smoking your life goes into slow motion. Just think this person is on the freeway in rush hour traffic... Lets say you are in construction job.. Would you want the guy next to you to be drunk??? how about being high on pot??? If we could have keeped everyone who smokes off the street and have them do it at home.. Is one thing. But they like to go to parties and then drive home tired and high. While I understand that some pot smokers don't drink. Most people who smoke would also drink same time. Just think of that combination and now put him in the car so he can get home and sleep it off.. When was the last time you heard the police doing house to house inspection to find people who smoke??? They stop most of them driving or on the street. If someone got stoped driving a car and they were smoking and drinking.. Most of the time they would get prosecuted for alcohol only. Unless they were arrested for it a few times before. You only hear about the DUI but if you knew how many times they are high as well you would change your mind.
Mind you that the police can't stop all the killing in the city as well. It don't mean they should just let it go..
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/21/2012 1:07:59 PM
ASIDE - Re: #54 - I agree, especially when I'm near smokers in public too. However, I was including time in their private homes as well (not apartments/connected-condos). Although the EPA is out of its mind, this is the one area that it should act and hasn't - what gives individuals the right to release carcenogenic vapors at will? That affects us all, so any right to smoke ends where it affects the rights of others to breath clean air. It's alot more dangerous than vehicle exhaust.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/24/2012 2:51:27 PM
Melody what you should do before you post is copy it so if you got loged off. You can just log back in and paste your post back and you are done...
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/24/2012 6:47:56 PM
...OR use the back button to the first "add post" page.
 B1gEddd
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/24/2012 7:49:59 PM
Weed should be de-criminalized (look into that) but most likely it will become legal once prop 19 or whatever it is once voted on again.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/11/2012 12:02:37 PM
RE: #62 - Morality is a primary reason a society has laws in the first place. You must be an anarchist.
Show ALL Forums  > California  > should weed be legalized whats ur true opinion