Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Capn_America
Msg: 804
You are Hot!!!Page 29 of 43    (3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43)
Hey, Capn America,

Your man-boobs are beautiful.

Wonder if I should be flattered, scared, or buy a shotgun.
I'll go with option 3.
Show your own man boobs with a picture so we can get a good laugh :tongue:

I cant believe all the jibberish on this thread tho. 35 pages of people trying to change other people's attitudes, when they know nothing's going to change lol.
Oh well...
Human nature at its worse, I suppose.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 805
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 8:49:50 AM
it's when someone has nothing to gain, the compliment you give will be more sincere.

I think the complaint about sincerity is a front for much (but not all) of the time. A non-drunken guy could say "Wow, you're hot" out of nowhere to a gal who's obviously attractive -- I don't think sincerity comes into question. I think that the (very) potential problem is that it's taken as generic, non-creative, and just, well, off-putting. Yeah, he highly highly likely said that because he does think she's a looker.

I would say a lack of actually thinking she is hot/beautiful/gorgeous would be a good looking guy, obviously tipsy, around say 1am at the bar, walking up to a gal who's so-so looking, throwing out a one-liner like that.
 CharminC
Msg: 806
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 9:17:47 AM
I cant believe all the jibberish on this thread tho. 35 pages of people trying to change other people's attitudes, when they know nothing's going to change lol.

^^^

Wait, my attitude has since changed!
I now realize that it's best to pretend I'm ninety years old and be so grateful to hear the phrase "You're hot!".

But he ain't getting laid
(slurps tea)
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 807
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 9:18:26 AM

I think the complaint about sincerity is a front for much (but not all) of the time. A non-drunken guy could say "Wow, you're hot" out of nowhere to a gal who's obviously attractive -- I don't think sincerity comes into question. I think that the (very) potential problem is that it's taken as generic, non-creative, and just, well, off-putting. Yeah, he highly highly likely said that because he does think she's a looker.

Being creative can be even worse. I heard a true story about some drunken guy who told a waitress "Wow darlin', you're so pretty I'd chase a laundry truck ten miles just to get a whiff of your panties!"
 Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 808
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 9:29:23 AM

Being creative can be even worse. I heard a true story about some drunken guy who told a waitress "Wow darlin', you're so pretty I'd chase a laundry truck ten miles just to get a whiff of your panties!"

Well that type of creative would be rude....

What about creative like.... "WOW darlin, your nieces are hot and i see it must run in the family. Wouldn't mind taking a peek in your Genes. "

So is that just as lame? Or maybe a bit creepy?

Or do you think something like that might fit in the creative compliment category? For someone in the know it would seem harmless but to a mind straying it could be perceived as a perverted pick up line from a person with bad spelling.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 809
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 9:34:24 AM
Well that type of creative would be rude....

What about creative like.... "WOW darlin, your nieces are hot and i see it must run in the family. Wouldn't mind taking a peek in your Genes. "

So is that just as lame? Or maybe a bit creepy?

I would read it as "jeans" instead of "genes", so yeah, I'd find the double entendre creepy, as well as vulgar. I think I'll settle for "You are hot".
 JennyDazl
Msg: 810
view profile
History
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 12:52:01 PM
thankyou, i feel soooo much better now i know that there's still one man alive thats got a brain in the right place,dont even want to comunicate with someone who begins with "hi sexy"j.
 Capn_America
Msg: 811
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 12:53:15 PM

LMAO Oh my god, I just lolled my azz off! I got to remember this one at parties

thankyou, i feel soooo much better now i know that there's still one man alive thats got a brain in the right place,dont even want to comunicate with someone who begins with "hi sexy"j.

Hi sexy ;-)
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 812
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 1:04:26 PM

Any one thing can be "worse". What I obviously meant was, a generic overdone one-line compliment isn't going to imply insincerity.... being generic has to do with the approach of it all (Just a one line compliment is generic in most cases).

Insincerity isn't accurate. A gal isn't going to think "How dare he say that? He doesn't think I'm beautiful/hot/gorgeous!" That's not her gut reaction, hence, it's not about insincerity. It's just that any generic overused one-line compliment thrown out as an opener has no real substance to it, it being over-played and all... and it's annoying and is associated with shallow guys so she takes it that way.

It rubs them the wrong way. But it's not insincere unless they're being sarcastic.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 813
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 1:14:23 PM

That's not a complaint, merely an observation. Obviously there's not much sincerity in that line at all. We're just saying that we know this. It's not a bad thing, it just is what it is...it's the reason why we tend not to regard it much.

And yeah, he might think she's a looker - and that's sincere. But again - engaging her in the scenario assumes she'd want to know he thinks this - which is where the agenda and probable insincerity begins.

The point I was making was if I had to choose being flattered by two guys telling me I was hot, one of whom I was dating for a while or knew me personally - I'd be more inclined to think that person actually meant it. That doesn't mean I'm going to react badly to the one I don't know - I'd likely just not pay much attention to it at all.

"How dare he say that? He doesn't think I'm beautiful/hot/gorgeous!"

I may not think that, but I will think something similar - perhaps that the last 8 women he saw and the next 12 he sees will get the same comment. Perhaps sincere isn't the word exactly...what's another word for common, or typical? I once had a guy tell me I was the most beautiful woman in a place. That's technically not true - and I'd have to be kinda stupid to believe it. I asked him if he really checked the place as chances are unlikely that I was in fact THE most beautiful woman there.

I was out with the SO recently somewhere, and he told me he thought I was the most beautiful woman there - now THAT I appreciated, and in his case (though I don't see it, of course) he actually meant it.
 Fleuron
Msg: 814
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 1:25:53 PM

I agree with Confident-Realist, any one thing can be "worse" and add….I hardly consider that filth ‘creative.’
 _shakti_
Msg: 815
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 2:31:05 PM
Dreamer:
Lol.. that's hot.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 816
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 3:09:28 PM

that little saying is nothing compared to the time honored one that starts out:

I'd crawl a mile on broken glass.....

Let me see if I can expand on this...

I would let a sumo wrestler wearing golf shoes step on my ballsack, just to be slapped in the face by the doctor who performed your last pap smear.
 cooldog65
Msg: 817
view profile
History
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 4:25:43 PM
^^^^^
Further expansion: I will swim a mile in piranha infested waters...
 troynm
Msg: 819
view profile
History
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 5:43:25 PM
Anita, I agree with Heart completely. Who in their right mind would be insulted by "you are hot" and why? Sorry.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 820
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 7:10:36 PM
I may not think that, but I will think something similar - perhaps that the last 8 women he saw and the next 12 he sees will get the same comment.

If you observe him walking up to every woman like a politician canvasing, then sure... or you realize it's an old friend from high school trying to get you to turn your attention in a crowd. But that's rare.

Perhaps sincere isn't the word exactly...what's another word for common, or typical?

Generic. :) It's not endearing. It's just a reaction of seeing an attractive woman. But a vast majority of the time, they do mean it. It isn't taken as much a flattering way - overdone. If a random guy says you're THE most beautiful woman in the place, sure, that can be rather unconvincing, and that's where a guy's tone & delivery (and further explanation) would have to be high up there for it to be convincing if you're in a scenic crowd. But being seen as good looking or yes, even hot (basically same thing) -- being in a bar with a scenic crowd, being a great looking gal in a guy's eyes isn't earth-shattering (that's why they go there)... so even telling a gal she's beautiful/hot/gorgeous isn't even an attempt at saying anything potentially far-fetched.

I could see it being annoying, unoriginal, etc., and rubbing a gal the wrong way if she's heard it too much and he has little or nothing else to say, while it's delivery being generic as well, etc. But insincere? That would imply that he doesn't find you really that good looking, but at most "decent looking enough." The only way I could see a gal generalizing that guys saying such things were insincere would be if she had multiple experiences engaging with such guys and they blew her off shortly thereafter.... or of course, you've seen him telling not-so-great looking girls they're gorgeous.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 821
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 7:35:38 PM

If you observe him walking up to every woman like a politician canvasing, then sure...

Don't have to see it. If he's saying it to me, chances are very high he's saying it to others...which isn't a bad thing or something that upsets me - it's just pretty likely. I'm not the type of woman who actually believes I'm standing out in a crowd outside of the fact that I am in close proximity at that time - based on pure odds, even if someone says I am. It's typical for a guy to assume you want to hear that kind of thing, so I may say thank you - but I shrug it off as contrived. I've been working in social situations for years - so I know that stuff is strategy to break the ice and make conversation. It's cute and all, but not going to do more than get a chuckle out of me as I walk past.

I do believe a guy thinks a woman's hot if he says so, I just don't believe he's not seeing another hot one 10 minutes later, and another one after that. And that makes sense in the right environment.

A woman who does actually want to hear it and appreciates it may get to know this guy and he'll go with it and may even genuinely become involved - and the story will be told as she WAS the hottest thing there in retrospect, but in the initial stage, it's a straw grasp.
 ExitingTheStage
Msg: 823
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/18/2012 10:28:05 PM
POF News Update

As we've turned to page 36 on the You are Hot!!! thread… the quibble of the earthlings continues.

Having clocked in on April 19th, 2012 at 343 AM, the thread has taken on a life of its' own.

Ebbing and flowing.

Sometimes the whole topic changes…. but the POF "goose steppers" only throw you in isolation when you change the thread title of your post?
(**stards)

I digress… So yes…. You are Hot!!!
An issue that currently holds mankind in a death grip.
Paralyzing and enslaving us all…. as we either partake in the You are Hot!!! thread or just read.

What will the earth look like in the future if this thread cannot come to terms with the linguistically traumatizing weapons of destruction that could make or break us all?

Around the world, reports have come in that too many people have been affected even though they have never heard or seen this forum. Scientists have used their highest tech analyzers and after comparing results from many nations….. the conclusion is undeniable.
This You are Hot!!! thread has alternate dimensional disturbances pulsing throughout the ether….. the question is now….. do we end the thread?
Do we bring in a group of Masters degree in quantum POF floss to osmotically-cycloaliphatic the process?

Stay tuned as POF News keep a watch on this issue and as I go make myself a sandwich.
By the way, fellow POF readers …. You are Hot!!!

p.s. I did not change the title of my post. . . . . Now I'm not sure if that has changed my Sean Connery-like deep Canadian accent that you heard while reading this..... or if I just have to write random gobbledee-gook to get that effect?
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 825
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/19/2012 9:05:32 AM

You can get pissy over her not taking it "the way you think she *should*" all you want, but changing your approach might be a better solution if you really want results.

Take it however you want, it's fine. My problem is how you act on it. If I tell a woman she's hot, and then she automatically assumes I'm trying to bang her, and flips out on me, I have a problem with that. That's insulting to me. If she tells me she doesn't want hear that, or just gives a fake "thanks", then fine.

There's a difference between not liking what someone says, and acting on an assumption that there's some kind of hidden agenda behind what they said.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 826
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/19/2012 9:59:07 AM
^^ Um, she is getting pissy on what you are saying... you are getting pissy on how she reacts to what you are saying.
He is saying it MIGHT be better off if you say something different.

Because you are feeling insulted by her response... while SHE is feeling insulted by your method of compliment.

So you are saying she is wrong to respond the way she feels... where as you are right to respond the way you do to how she responds...

arrogant much?
 Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 827
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:20:15 AM
Well I think long hair is hot and i used to compliment those ladies that I would notice had long hair.

I have a few times been ignored after making a comment about their hair.

I got the impression they were thinking i was being superficial about it and that might be why someone would have an issue with this whole you are hot stuff.

A brief look into my brain would have reveled that i am one of the men out there that sees a woman with long hair as a woman capable of long term relationships. My thinking is for her to have long hair means she has gone through good hair days and bad hair days and instead of just chopping her hair off when frustrated she has kept her hair long. (obviously wigs and hair extensions do not count)

A simple request for clarity would have granted knowledge of the motivations behind the statement, but instead an assumption of shallowness became the controlling thought for the purpose of the compliment.

Everyone loves to assume that they KNOW what was meant it seams. However, without actully knowing the person behind the words there is no context and with no context there just plain is no way at all to KNOW with any certainty what motivated them to make the statement that they made.

I have told women that they are hot. I have even told women that they are NOT hot (when they truly believed that they were hot even though very few men would have likely agreed with her inflated assumptions)

But ladies seriously?.... Is knowing right from the start that a potential suitor that thinks that you are visually stimulating to the eyes enough to cause him to tell you that you are hot really a bad thing?

I just have this mental image forming in my mind of a woman thinking "OMG he thinks I am beautiful WHAT A DISGUSTING PIG HE IS"

Everyone woman that I have ever been with thrived ont he knowledge that i found her attractive even if she had days that she herself didn't see herself as attractive.
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 828
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:32:25 AM

Because you are feeling insulted by her response... while SHE is feeling insulted by your method of compliment.

The difference is that I don't go running to a forum claiming that the only reason she didn't like what I said was because she didn't want to have sex with me or something.

It's not whether or not you take offense to it, it's how you react.

If you have a problem with me saying you're hot, then have a problem with it, I don't care. But when you flip out on me because there's no possible way that I only meant it as a compliment, then you're crossing a line.

Does it make sense yet?
 Fleuron
Msg: 829
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:42:59 AM

Is knowing right from the start that a potential suitor that thinks that you are visually stimulating to the eyes enough to cause him to tell you that you are hot really a bad thing?

‘I’ know from the start that a man finds me attractive when he messages me…..DUH.

How is that an appealing way to start a conversation?

Him: ‘You’re hot.’

Her: ‘Thanks.’

Him: Um, er, ???????

That’s assuming she bothers responding at all. We’re not stupid, FFS. ‘Some’ women know that is leading nowhere we want to go.

Sooner or later, a guy’s gonna have to reach deep into that hollow cranium and dig out something a bit more substantial. He’s already proven that’s a challenge to him.

And before CR jumps on this…I realize the OP had some sort of email exchange with the guy first. Reverting to empty babble after a couple messages doesn’t make it more appealing.
 _shakti_
Msg: 830
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:45:37 AM
Dreamer:
But ladies seriously?.... Is knowing right from the start that a potential suitor that thinks that you are visually stimulating to the eyes enough to cause him to tell you that you are hot really a bad thing?
I have stated before in this thread that I personally prefer if a man doesn't comment on my appearance at all in the beginning. I become way more intrigued about him.

But we all have our preferences, and I don't think that judgements should be made based on them.
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 831
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 6/19/2012 11:01:27 AM

If you consistently fail to predict how people will react to you, then you aren't paying attention and/or you aren't very intuitive. Either way, you're doomed to keep doing the same thing and being frustrated.

I never said a thing about failing to predict how people will react. I'm saying that there's two sides to the coin. For every woman out there who sees "you're hot" as an insult, as us seeing them as a piece of meat, there's a woman who is truly grateful that she heard someone say that to her.

Think what you want to think. But don't react until you're 100% sure. This is how you function socially. This is the thing that's just completely missing with people.

Also, women out there. If a guy only says you're hot, there's a good chance that he doesn't want to actually talk to you. A lot of times, when us guys want to have a conversation, we (OMG IT'S SO CRAZY!!!!!!!) actually start a conversation.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >