Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 haventbeenthere
Msg: 210
You are Hot!!!Page 8 of 43    (3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43)
Anita, thank you for posting your problem. To me it sounds like you are one the people on POF who wants to meet someone as a friend and hopefully have it develop into a healthy, mutually satisfying relationship. This quite possibly might involve respect. Some people are offended by the whole appearance-focused, hollywood mentality, as long as you look "hot" that's all that matters. If you found that comment uncomfortable and disrespectful than of course it is nothing you have to accept. Hopefully, you will find a man who will be respectful of you and appreciate all that makes up you as a person and not just a sex object. And, as a human being, I want to apologize to you for the people who in their comments have made fun of your grammar. The heart has it's own language, words optional.
 fall-blossom
Msg: 211
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/27/2012 4:51:23 PM
perhaps when I'm 60 and someone says "you're hot" I might think differently.... somehow I doubt it though!

People can be hot in all age groups. My mom is 63 and is hot and she knows it! She is toned, fit, and full of life. At the age of 43 maybe I should be doing some of the things she is doing so I don't continue on a path of flabbiness.

Some examples of well known hotties are Sean Connery (in his early 80's), Lionel Richie (in his early 60's), Julia Ormond (in her late 40's), and Rachel Weisz (in her early 40's). Lots of people are hot, hot, hot whether they're are known or unknown!

How the term "hot" is viewed is subjective and everyone's perception will be different regarding what it means when it is said and how it is received. Some will equate it with sex while others will equate it with physical attractiveness. It's doubtful many will equate it with fever though. Hee hee hee.
 shopgirl2361
Msg: 212
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/27/2012 4:53:04 PM
yes cause unless u have already established that type of chatting forum, they r just horny **stards!!!, my opinion, but i am 50 and have been there done that!!
 surfaceofficer
Msg: 213
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/27/2012 5:00:05 PM
If women are still calling me hot at 40...Im gonna write a damn book.

Evidently I'll have gained some information that others would gladly pay for.
 Fleuron
Msg: 214
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/27/2012 5:51:38 PM

No one is SAYING that because a man tells you you're hot,you are in anyway obligated to "spread good and wide for guys"!Or,that sex is ALL they want from you! That's what YOU read into it based on your own issues!
Stop projecting you fears onto innocent men you simply don't find attractive enough to take the compliment from!

Wow….grab a paper bag before you hyperventilate.

I missed this helpful analysis of my psyche. Those poor, poor innocent boys, incapable of coming up with anything more original that parroting Paris Hilton from what, ten years ago? Pffffft. Set that bar nice and low!

Glad to see there are women here who can handle themselves in a mature way ..

I am appropriately chastised by your rebuke. Next time a guy tells me I’m hot, I’ll let him take me out to McDonald’s on his bicycle and then we can watch a Seth Rogan movie marathon.
 PinkNeonSocks78
Msg: 215
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/27/2012 5:56:00 PM
It's a compliment, simple as that. Just shut your hole and say "Thank you" rather than thinking "less" of someone that uses the word "HOT."

It's like being judgmental just based on someone's choice of words. Blah. How lame.
 LadyRider81
Msg: 216
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/27/2012 6:05:07 PM
What are they supposed to do? Tell you youre hideous? Pull the stick out of your bunghole and be thankful you caught their eye.
 cooldog65
Msg: 217
view profile
History
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/27/2012 6:23:33 PM
^^^^^
Bunghole...straight from the Great Cornholio...Beavis and Butthead!
 Novemberat15ft
Msg: 218
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/27/2012 6:35:53 PM
In my opinion, it depends on the interpretation, the person saying it and the person receiving it.

Saying you are hot can have two different meanings. One is a sexual tone and one is a I don't know what to say and instead of pretty or beautiful, the word hot comes out of their writing or mouth. Alot of it has to do with society because sex is so expressed today and the word hot floats all around us all of the time. It seems old fashioned to see pretty, beautiful or attractive.

In your situation, its likely that the person who contacts you without knowing you, and says that phrase, it will continue to turn you off because you are used to associating that phrase in a advanced sense of forwardness. I can see how that could spook a woman for reason only she can explain.

Other people take it as a compliment and feel confident over their intitial fears of the use of the word. They figure they can handle whatever it is they want to deal with or not.

In short, we are all different, with unique personalities and changeable character traits. There is a right person for you and I don't think the type that approaches you with the hot phrase is your compatible type, period.
 statemachine500
Msg: 219
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/27/2012 6:39:43 PM

I get this quite often, and while I don't find it insulting.....I wonder what sort of reaction they expect, because, I'm NOT all that. Seriously....do guys think all they have to do is throw out a cheesy compliment and have a woman fall all over them?
Apparently so.And some women are ready to lap it up from a younger man.
 tallmanenters
Msg: 220
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 1:01:07 AM
It's a throw-away phrase. Not really a compliment, more like 'hello, you are f'kable' I said it when I was in high school. The truly hot (mind and body) already know they are hot and in demand, so something simplistic like this will make the guy look like an idiot or at best just another random guy that doesn't stand out. Unless it's an aging insecure woman that needs affirmation from every stranger. Nothing to be offended at, though. Just doesn't mean anything. Move along.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 222
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 9:41:11 AM

Those poor, poor innocent boys, incapable of coming up with anything more original that parroting Paris Hilton from what, ten years ago? Pffffft. Set that bar nice and low!

The term "hot" was used to describe someone who's attractive long before Paris Hilton came along.
 Meems919
Msg: 223
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 9:49:16 AM

Those poor, poor innocent boys, incapable of coming up with anything more original that parroting Paris Hilton from what, ten years ago? Pffffft. Set that bar nice and low!

The term "hot" was used to describe someone who's attractive long before Paris Hilton came along.

Pigster, it's HAWT that you know that.
 ariat82
Msg: 224
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 9:49:31 AM
If you feel they want to meet you just because of your looks then I can understand. If you are here to meet men who actually are interested in YOU not just a piece of a$$ then this may be a good way of weeding them out but if you have been talking to them for a while they are comfortable now to tell you what they think. Give them some more time and if all they focus on is your looks then ya move one. I have learned from experience when ever you tell a man on here you are not interested they lash out and get mean and ya I love it when they first contact me then when I say 'no' they call me fat and ugly (wtf? lol)

Me, personally, do not like to be called 'hot' because I don't see myself as hot so therefore I feel they are just trying too hard, secondly I would rather hear cute or pretty or beautiful. More feminine delicate words. Not ones that are more associated with sex.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 225
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 9:53:31 AM
can u say 'self-esteem' issues?/ really?/ c'mon..go with the flow..and dont read into every syllable a guy says. Take a chill pill, meet some of them..and then get back to us...ok? Believe me without that long hair..u wouldnt even be luke-warm..lol..
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 226
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 10:09:34 AM

Pigster, it's HAWT that you know that.

Please don't call me "Pigster". It's degrading and offensive. Please find a more eloquent alternative that will knock my socks right off my hooves.
 tuxqueot
Msg: 227
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 10:10:25 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Let's face it, folks. Most of us here are not models and are not going to win any "beauty" contests. But I'm not attracted to model types and I'm not interested in the kinds of women who win beauty contests.

Every day, I tell my lady she is beautiful. As often as possible. Because to me, she is. She is the 3rd most beautiful female in the world to me, right after my 2 daughters. But for the longest time she would get flustered and stammer and tell me I am crazy, she isn't even pretty. She is finally starting to warm up to the idea that *I* find her beautiful and I couldn't possibly care less what any other person thinks.

So if a guy says you are hot, or smoking, or beautiful, and you disagree with him, you could just be hurting yourself and missing out on someone who could love you for you even if you are not a model. Then again it could just be codespeak for "nice rack, can I bury my face between your boobs?". It's a judgement call.weed out the creeps just looking to score and find the guys who look at you and see a work of art.
 latinworld
Msg: 228
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 10:17:54 AM
I totally agree with Mr. Franken.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 229
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 12:46:12 PM
I just simply respond, "Thank you, I say a girl can never get too many compliments". My response makes his comment a positive one. Hasn't caused any problems so far! LOL
 a_Libra_rising
Msg: 230
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 3:06:35 PM
I don't think "you're hot!" is insulting. It's a compliment, albeit an unimaginative one. I only like receiving that from guys that I think are also hot. If it's from someone who's not hot, well, it just grosses me out, even though it's still a compliment.
 cajuncooker
Msg: 231
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 3:16:07 PM
Im not going to insult you here although I will say you sound like one of two things: A really stuck on yourself woman wwho thinks she is above the compliments from men. Or you seem like one of those physcotic women who think everyman is out to stalk you and wont leave you alone. So thats the first thing.
Now as for the poster who said you are not all that hot well they are right.

Now you are hot is either a flirt to see how it goes or a compliment. Would you rather him say wow your check book and your car are nice and big? Humm. that sounds gold digger to me. But Take it as a compliment really. I dont tell a woman she is hot if she is not. And I also dont compliment a woman unless she is downt to earth.
So the fact is you should just walk away form all men and relationships,

@ Sea_shells:
how is you have nice long dark hair and nice glasses and they compliment both your smile and clothing. Is that original lol?

A woman once text me you are hot at the time she did I was running a 102 fever and text her back how did you know I was feverishly burning up? she asked huh? i told her i had the fever but usually I tell them if they text me that no I am not I am me and I know who I am good and bad so i am not, but thank you for the compliment.
 a_Libra_rising
Msg: 232
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 3:57:27 PM
hahaha "you're hot" isn't imaginative at all. it's a cliched expression and overly used in pop culture which has bled over to pretty much all cultures. if someone said, "i think you have great style" that would be much nicer to me because the person thought of something else NOT overly used to say to me. that's basically what i was pointing out.
 happy_one1970
Msg: 233
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 4:18:11 PM
I think it's nice to receive compliments, as long as it doesnt lead to vulgar comments. I could see you discontinuing conversation if they talk vulgar, but a compliment should be followed by a ...thank you. Good luck on your search for love.
 Glad4today
Msg: 234
view profile
History
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 5:44:19 PM
polite words matter, "you are hot" is childish, your very pretty followed by a compliment that has nothing to do with my looks would win my attention. Just the way I see it.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 235
You are Hot!!!
Posted: 4/28/2012 5:53:52 PM
gourmetchef

She is very attractive and my bet is that you wouldnt knock her back. That was a mean spirited remark and I kind know why you are here now.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >