Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Pushing for yahoo messenger.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 63T
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Pushing for yahoo messenger.Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
HappySingleSpirit;

Some develop a strong emotional attachment to their preferred style, method of communicating.
That being said, his insistence on you communicating in a similar manner was most certainly inconsiderate on several levels and indicative of this strong emotional attachment. This suggests that he may be prone to reacting emotionally without careful thought to the consequences of his actions (inappropriate behaviour). This is a "red flag" in and of itself.
Your resulting "pressured" state is testimony.
Of course, his insistence could have been born of a more controlled and sinister nature.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Pushing for yahoo messenger.
Posted: 9/29/2013 5:45:59 AM
Personally, I like to use YM right away. Seriously, I don't want the person to "think about what he's going to say" I think that messenger/videochat is a MUCH better indicator of what he is really like than en email

I feel a same way. Course I wouldn't be pushy about it, but if that makes her "uncomfortable" I would think once we meet it might be a lots of "uncomfortable" silence while she think about what to say.
What is that all about I would wonder? Does she need time to come up with a lie?

The first part though -- you don't like talking on the phone? You need to plot out answers to things, etc? :) As far as not being a fast typer, you can just let them know... and let them know you're busy, too, so they won't be taken aback by delayed responses.

In the end, I think you're being too neurotic about it... seriously. Relax. It's communication. You don't need to plot & scheme about every little thing or worry about saying the wrong word combinations, etc.

Exactly.
You can't be a slower typer than me. There were times when I got a "HELLO???" while I was on Yahoo..LOL
Told her hold on I am typing..I also had to tell her that there is no spell check so she won't judge me by it.
 MsMaggieMay
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/29/2013 8:18:04 AM
I find it very annoying to chat on here. Sending messages back and forth only makes the page longer and longer so with each new message you are having to scroll down ever farther to get to the newest message.
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/1/2013 3:55:09 PM
Yahoo chat= SCAMMER.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/1/2013 4:47:22 PM
I will confess if someone within one email started pressuring me for off pof info, I usually think either scammer or sexter.

it is just as easy to email within the site at the beginning until you know if you want to do live time chat (though phone is better).

When someone is pressuring right away for information that is personal within the opening email? And being pushy about it?

I run. Always
 usmale6
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/1/2013 5:23:35 PM
The Nigerian scamers like to lead you away from the messages system here and avoid meeting in person, and toward personal email. They also like chat. 3-5 messages on the dating site and then a phone call or meet - that's the rule, and it will automatically weed out the majority of the scammers.
 Archiver
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/1/2013 9:51:53 PM
Yahoo email or Yahoo Messenger are preferred Nigerian scammer methods.

They target new members, disregarding profile comments and distances. They use incorrect punctuation and syntax. They never directly answer questions. They send LONG followup messages in much less time that it would take to type (obviously copied and pasted). "Scammer grammar" is not hard to spot.

They never call you or give you a phone number. Well, it is long distance from Nigeria, after all. And obviously, they never agree to meet you. There are always excuses.

Google searches on snippets of text and image searches of photos will reveal scammers. Since the scammers reuse profiles and photos, they show up over and over again under different names and locations.

The first scammer I encountered sucked me in for a few days, before I even knew that there were scammers. I was so disappointed when I realized that the wonderful man was phony. Click: report and block.

Another time I picked up clues during a Messenger conversation, googled on the spot, and then accused him of being a scammer. At first he acted all innocent and shocked. Then he proceeded to curse and threaten me. I just laughed. I had given him an email address I use only for dating sites, so while I reported and blocked him on the site, I did get an email from him the next day. To my amazement, he apologized for his language and behavior.

In the six months I was active on dating sites I busted over 30 scammers.
 OzzGirl22
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/2/2013 1:54:15 PM
^^ Yup...what she said! ^^
 John255317
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/2/2013 5:41:21 PM
OP, I agree that you feel comfortable how you feel comfortable, that is what matters. With saying that, I actually enjoy using yahoo messenger to chat with someone and last time I checked, I was no scammer. Or Nigerian or whatever. I respect if someone wants to email a couple times before a phone call etc and if someone needs time to get their thoughts together and that is why they like the mail thing, that is great. I have had ZERO problems with using yahoo messenger. I like it because it is quicker and you can get an idea about someone. Emails are great too but too many is just not how I am going to do it, it becomes just cyber stuff and eventually the conversation dies. It can be the same with messenger also. The main thing is however you do it, talk on the phone fairly soon, hear a voice and at least get as much info as you can whether you want to meet.
 MsMaggieMay
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/2/2013 6:41:53 PM
I don't see the problem with yahoo. Since msn decided to get rid of online chatting and you can only use skype with them then yahoo is now the only option. Sorry but I'm not going to skype unless I already know you because when you do this with strangers 9 times out of 10 the moment the picture comes on you are greeted with someones pecker. Blech!
 that_ol_lady
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/11/2013 4:25:19 PM
@msmaggiemay

lmao! before they shut down yahoo chat rooms wow it was nothing but a sausage viewing contest in there..

an your right to the ladies who decide to get on with somebody via chat skype yahoo or whatever be prepared cause you just may see a penis at the other end an not even a nice looking 1 either its always the werid hairy veiny looking ones that are half flaccid..blahhhhh
 Maleman999
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/11/2013 8:01:55 PM
^^^"...you just may see a penis at the other end an not even a nice looking 1 either its always the werid hairy veiny looking ones that are half flaccid..blahhhhh"

Just continue looking until you see a penis you like. Then contact the penis owner.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/11/2013 10:46:19 PM
^^^^^Now that's funny!!!! I am still laughing!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL and then some! I wonder if one has to register the penis? Does the penis take a photo next to a ruler? If you lost sight of one that you liked, could you ask for a penis photo line up.....! Ok, I 'll stop....off topic...sorry :) I had a couple of beers tonight! Whoooohooo!

Oh, on topic: same response as VolcanoKing: yahoo messenger: SCAMMER.....totally!
 Maleman999
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/12/2013 6:01:43 AM
" If you lost sight of one that you liked, could you ask for a penis photo line up.."

You can try using a google recognition app.
 palmer f
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2013 6:22:24 AM
Oh I remember the days of the Yahoo chat rooms and messenger.. They were the Wild West even back when I first got online in the early 2000's. The funny thing about Yahoo is I actually did run into a Nigerian scammer. I caught on the second they contacted me, but I had some fun with them pretending to be a desperate and naive guy.

It lasted for a few days until the person got tired of me always having excuses as to why I couldn't wire them some money to their bank account. They got all huffy and called me a "cold, unfeeling, a**hole" because I wouldn't wire "her" some money to help her get to the states to see "her" dying mother. LOL.

Now back to the OP's problem. . If you feel that strongly about yahoo messenger,why not do some other form of quick messaging? I've run into women on here and other places that do think all yahoo users are scammers in one sense or the other. I will use email in the beginning, but I find that after a few days, it becomes boring and whatever might've been there usually stalls out. Texting is slightly better, but that usually ends up with someone sending a text and then the other person not responding in a timely fashion.

I still talk to a lot of the people that I meet in the yahoo chat rooms over a decade ago. Go figure. LOL.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2013 6:24:44 AM

same response as VolcanoKing: yahoo messenger: SCAMMER.....totally!

I strongly disagree.
To me it just a better way to get to know someone.
She should be open to it, just as she should be open to Skype.
Unless she has something to hide.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2013 6:44:23 AM
When I was dating I would occasionally get persons who wanted to IM.
I viewed them as a "short cut" that was convenient for the type of lonely person who stayed on the net all day to chat.

I work from home. My job is stressful, so I just take a few minutes to answer e-mails when I have to take a break from it all. When I'm working, or on-line for another important reason, I do not have time to be constantly interrupted with IM's making cutesy comments or idle chit chat.

Furthermore, IM's tend to disrupt certain kinds of day trading and accounting software. Then I would have to close the work software, and re-open to get rid of the stupid IM.

I have a husband now, but when I was dating then, or seeing friends now, I find/found it more fun to meet and chat in person with someone who is worth seeing face to face.

BTW: my take on off-shore scammers is that their verbiage is often full of flowery language and specific types of grammar errors.
 Maleman999
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/12/2013 6:44:34 AM
Zuglo65: Looking for various ways to stay hidden behind a screen instead of a meeting in real life after a few messages back and forth is more of a sign of hiding something. The same thing with Nigerian scammers. When they start asking for money, tell them you want to meet them in real life first-mention a coffee shop or wherever, a time and day. That's the fastest way to weed them out.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2013 7:46:02 AM
^^^I agree.
I just don't see a big deal about Yahoo, as I said TO ME it's faster. Not that I am in a hurry or anything, but sending her an email, than waiting for her to respond, and she is waiting for me to respond..meh..
It's like texting, vs talking..
I understand it's interupt her schedule and all that.
But I am the type who after a few email prefer to hear her voice, and meet her face to face.
Desperate, creepy, too fast, or whatever the name calling that follows that approach, I don't care.
 firefly416
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2013 2:48:35 PM
I have noticed that more and more men want to YIM with me. I've tried it but their grammar is always so odd that I'm suspicious. Yesterday one told me his brother wrote his (very short) profile for him. That was after I said I didn't think English was his first language and he claimed to have lived here (US) his whole life.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2013 5:34:15 AM
Maybe that's why this is a very touchy subject for me.
English is NOT my first language, so anyone could suspect that I am a scammer.
And with IM I can't even use spell check, so I wonder what is that makes me look like? Hm...
 Seki1949
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2013 10:25:59 AM
If I decide to play with them, I tell them that I'm very interested in whatever business proposition but that they need to contact my Chief of Security [insert goof ball name here] to be verified. Very impressive to them!

I give them my unlisted fax number which I never pick-up (except see later in this message.) I then listen to the fax number ring and ring. When they write back complaining, I act annoyed at my security chief and give them a specific time to contact him.

Once in a while I pick-up and claim to be Mr. Security Chief's clueless assistance and tell them that he'll be back in two hours. In two hours, I pick up again and assure him that Mr. Security is running late and will be here in only 15 minutes! A 1000 apologies!

Once in a while I pick-up and "It's Their Lucky Day!" I am Mr. Security Chief and my boss is very interested in their business proposition. They, of course, understand the need for care in this transaction and agree to fax me a copy of their passport or international drivers license. I have received several of these; they look genuine but must be stolen and then digitally altered. The ones I have seen are usually from the Republic of South Africa.

I once received an email from the widow of the sweetly recently departedly Major-General [insert goof ball name here]. I wrote back that I was shocked by His Excellency's death and that I had fond memories of helping him to execute prisoners in the National Soccer Stadium. Didn't faze the widow at all; she was so happy that I had known her husband during his 'salad days!"
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2013 3:08:20 PM
I don't disagree with zuglo, but wordsmith is right as well. It is true, however, that you could probably ascertain pretty quickly on IM if your "friend" was non English speaking, at least.

To each their own!
 Zuglo65
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2013 6:33:46 PM

The only time you should be suspicious is when they are asking to Skype/Yahoo IM within a matter of minutes of first contact. They are usually scammers and want to get you off site before their account is deleted

Maybe so..But how hard it is to realize she is a scammer, and cut off all contact??
All I am saying is that don't be so quick to jump to conclusion, or you might miss out on a great girl.
You don't think I got a sad story about her Mom died, car stolen, house broken into etc a few times, after we moved to Yahoo..I just wished her good luck, and deleted a contact.
What was the harm?
 rosewood_girl
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/13/2013 10:01:29 PM
I dont like chatting on pof cause i dont have it mobile. I would probably use messenger as a way of chatting if the person didn't want to give out their number. But personally, I dont sit on my computer all day and waste typing on it, its annoying.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Pushing for yahoo messenger.