Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hopejd
Msg: 31
Are there ever any happy ever afters on POF with over 45's?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I don't understand your theory. If we stop looking, doesn't that defeat our purpose for being on here? We are seeking because we seem to have a very short supply of men, esp. in Bradford County, PA who are anywhere near the caliber we are wanting to be with..I've changed my profile, expanded my search and including more guys that are a few extra pounds and trying to be open minded without just giving all my standards the boot. What I have found are players. They talk the talk, and that's it. They want txt sex, online sex. anykind of sex but the real thing. I find that guys that live more than an hour away don't want to be bothered with transportation or meeting. They just want it delivered. Sorry, it doesn't work that way in the real world. The later the night gets, the worst it gets. I get all younger guys that want an older woman to self satisfy themselves while your'e talking to them. I am ready to give up. I have no new matches, nothing in my email inbox. So, Im not impressed.
 Thornz2000
Msg: 32
Are there ever any happy ever afters on POF with over 45's?
Posted: 4/25/2012 8:19:23 PM
Seems that way to me as well.
Well over 100messages out and no replies. Guess they are not interested in a man with good values and will treat them like a queen and a great retirement plan.

I'm looking at Asian countries for women and planning a few trips. If no American woman wants us its time to look elsewhere.
 notaround
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/26/2012 5:24:44 AM
Hang in there, Kari! I have met some outstanding men on this site and been on many many dates. Perhaps you need to make your pictures more enticing. Men are attracted visually. Right now I am seeing someone I like and I keep in touch with a few others. Good luck!
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/26/2012 11:00:15 PM
Yes. But you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince....oh, and beware of warts. lol!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/27/2012 5:31:42 AM
Well, it took me ten months to meet and meld. It lasted four years and ended because of ill health (perhaps not unlikely given our ages). I like the forums, so stayed. I'm not yet back to looking yet, but it's spring, so ya never know, lol! Just enjoy the convo, and hang in.

And ya, you *really* never know: There's this lady who was talkin' with this Australian guy, it didn't work out, but a couple of lady poffer's introduced her to another Aussie, and they're getting married in a couple of weeks. It takes being willing to take whatever it takes, grin. . . .
 JSNC7
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2012 6:22:01 AM
"I don't understand your theory. If we stop looking, doesn't that defeat our purpose for being on here? We are seeking because we seem to have a very short supply of men, esp. in Bradford County, PA who are anywhere near the caliber we are wanting to be with..I've changed my profile, expanded my search and including more guys that are a few extra pounds and trying to be open minded without just giving all my standards the boot. What I have found are players. They talk the talk, and that's it. They want txt sex, online sex. anykind of sex but the real thing. I find that guys that live more than an hour away don't want to be bothered with transportation or meeting. They just want it delivered. Sorry, it doesn't work that way in the real world. The later the night gets, the worst it gets. I get all younger guys that want an older woman to self satisfy themselves while your'e talking to them. I am ready to give up. I have no new matches, nothing in my email inbox. So, Im not impressed."

I like your profile. I do answer women's profiles who have some of your appealing qualities and interests. I'm looking for a long term relationship; I'm sincere, and I know what I want.

And I wish that more women like you, lived closer to more men like me.

OP, yes, I haved had long term relationships from this online dating, including POF, over the years.
 ohenryx
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2012 7:48:16 AM

hopejd
I don't understand your theory. If we stop looking, doesn't that defeat our purpose for being on here? We are seeking because we seem to have a very short supply of men, esp. in Bradford County, PA who are anywhere near the caliber we are wanting to be with..I've changed my profile, expanded my search and including more guys that are a few extra pounds and trying to be open minded without just giving all my standards the boot. What I have found are players. They talk the talk, and that's it. They want txt sex, online sex. anykind of sex but the real thing. I find that guys that live more than an hour away don't want to be bothered with transportation or meeting. They just want it delivered. Sorry, it doesn't work that way in the real world. The later the night gets, the worst it gets. I get all younger guys that want an older woman to self satisfy themselves while your'e talking to them. I am ready to give up. I have no new matches, nothing in my email inbox. So, Im not impressed.

Hope, I really liked your post. I only wish you were closer. Do not give up, there are many, many men like myself who are looking for the real deal, someone just like you.
 abelian
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/27/2012 7:57:06 AM
my opinion- not a chance! seems pof is mostly for 25-35 yr old bracket. im 45 and dont have a chance!

I disagree. I was 45 when I was dating here and I didn't have much difficulty dating. I rather thought this was the easiest dating I'd ever done and I met my fiancee here.

im tired of it, over 100 messages easily, stopped counting, 2 coffee dates, blown off both times, seems the 45 yr old bracket, all women care about is how much $$ you have and looks, i have neither sadly :(

Although I'm sure having those things don't hurt, women are far less concerned about looks that most guys think. It is true that many women become curmudgeonly (as do many men) when they reach their 40s and they do start to value financial security, but that's not the same as valuing $$. What is true, at least in my experience is that it's more difficult to date women in the 40+ age range than women who are younger, so date younger women and women closer to your age who don't act their age. I assure you that as a general rule, a 45 year od guy will have a much easier time getting a date with a women who is 35 than with a woman who is 45.

Personally I don't see a down side to being 45 and dating for the average guy unless women ever have an epiphany, overcome their mental block against dating hot younger guys for sex instead of dating guys older than they are and they start to question their desire for a relationship to go along with sex. (In other words, when women start thinking like men, you'll be up the proverbial creek without a paddle, but for now, being a 45 year old guy is about as good as it gets for dating.)

As an aside (which I seriously doubt you'll believe, since few guys do), writing sentences with proper punctuation, following the rules of English grammar and writing a profile that makes whatever attributes you think you have, self-evident, will go further than you imagine. Women really do draw inferences about your intelligence from what you've written and how you've written it and I assure you, that whatever success I had on pof didn't come from my one photo with me wearing a Mickey Mouse hat, (although I did get contacted a lot about that, too).

You only have to look like George Clooney and have his money if the rest of your profile doesn't hold any other appeal for those women who read it. If I had to rely on looks and money, I'd have never dated the women I've dated, so for the average guy, a lack of looks and money is an excuse, not a reason for not getting dates. So, put a little more effort in to making yourself seem fun, intelligent and interesting or else save your money for Porsche GT3, since at least you'll never see an unattractive women get out of one.
 Thornz2000
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/27/2012 5:54:18 PM
Also depends where you are located is another part of the equation.

I'm in Seattle and for my age group women are greatly outnumbered by men.

I have been told by a few women in my are who are on POF they get 50-300 messages a day.

For men... HAHAHAAHA... we have entered your name in the Seattle Sweepstakes.. Good luck.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/27/2012 6:16:28 PM
tornadoadv

Your header is not good, the Shark doesnt have a good feel about it. You need a smiling pic also. You say you are 56 on your profile so you have lied right there. Many people think they look younger than they really do. They kid themselves often. Not saying you do.

Capitals are seen as shouting. Get a full length smiling shot and you may have more luck. Also be realistic in who you contact. Take a leaf out of Ohenryx book as he seems to have some success at least he actually meets people, he says.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2012 6:22:43 PM
Ever after is a long time, but I've been pretty darn happy for about 15 months now, and I have no complaints.

Of course it did take me 2.5 years, about 70 or 80 first dates, and one rather painful 6 month relationship (my own fault) until I met my lovely man, but it was all worth it.

Things are going very well with us, in spite of the distance, and I'm learning new things about relationships all the time, because I've never been in one like this. Preston is the best man I've ever been with, and I don't want to hear anything about there being NO good men on POF.

Plus, I didn't even have to kiss all those frogs, since they pretty readily revealed themselves as such.
Also, they might not have all been frogs, in fact I know they weren't, but simply not good matches for me.
 sushisue
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2012 7:39:59 PM
Really! My daughter and her family moved to the Seattle area a year ago...maybe I need to visit more often! In DFW and I guess I'm not using the right bait, lol!
 five-marie
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2012 8:15:07 PM
There are some success stories, very few when you consider how many are on here and "looking for a relationship".
I've been in here 5 years, had a few relationships that lasted over a year.
I seem to meet men with issues so I'm not even looking anymore. Who would have thought it would be so difficult to meet someone decent and grounded at our age?
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/27/2012 11:43:32 PM
I sincerely think it is twice as difficult to find a decent partner at 50 than 25 because those men and women who are marriage-minded, faithful, and know how to treat a spouse lovingly and well got married in their 20's and they are still married.
Lucky for me, my fella was married to a woman who did not have the good sense to be happy with what she had but before Ray I met about 20-25 others first whose dating behavior made it crystal clear why their spouse had given them the boot. Among the weeds, however, roses bloom so do not give up just yet.
 CoffeeShopSundays
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/28/2012 8:19:56 AM
I agree with you. The ones who contact me are either obviously 20 years older than they admit or they act interested and then disappear. I have been told that it is because this is basically a free site and most of the good ones are willing to pay for meeting someone in hopes the quality of the other party will be better. I just don't know but I do hope I won't be here in 10 years also. I'm a nice girl.........maybe that's why we cannot find a nice guy........because they might really be all taken.
 CoffeeShopSundays
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/28/2012 8:35:46 AM
It is the same way here in Arkansas. Right now, I have over 120 men who are interested and some have sent me messages. A few were really nice guys but most were much older than they claimed and had some really serious issues. Of the best ones, I sent out a reply and about 90% just sent me a phone number for a hook-up. I deleted those. The other 10% were either completely delusional about what they wanted in a relationship or they were somehow either mentally or emotionally unavailable. For example, I met an obviously intelligent, attractive, genuinely nice guy last week. He said he was super interested but never called or answered my last reply. He asked me what kind of movies I liked and I told him psychological thrillers.......does he think I will show up at the restaurant with a kitchen knife? lol. Anyway, that is how they all turn out.........either they disappear or they want you to come over and "service them." No, I am not a prude but I cannot go over to a guy's house that I have never met and watch movies from the sofa either...lol. That guy told me he was insecure about his appearance and that he was certain I wouldn't want to be seen in public with him so I had better just come over to his house for a date........lol............I guess that might work on an 18-year-old but I am about to turn 50 in September. I want more than just the "top bunk."
 Katrina999
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/28/2012 1:19:49 PM
How come all the people that have experienced love on this site and are now in committed relationships are still on this site??
 Thornz2000
Msg: 51
Posted: 4/28/2012 8:49:04 PM
I see that too and choose not to ask.

When I found 1 gal years ago, we deleted each others profile.

So if I'm here you know things did not work out. We tried for almost 4 years.
 stellavixen
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/29/2012 6:58:56 PM
I have had a substantial relationship with a POF member.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/29/2012 11:44:46 PM

Also depends where you are located is another part of the equation.

I'm in Seattle and for my age group women are greatly outnumbered by men.

I have been told by a few women in my are who are on POF they get 50-300 messages a day.

Wow...looks like I'm in the wrong part of the country.

...mae
 bluemoonshining
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/2/2012 5:45:45 PM
If it was too easy ....it wouldn't be worth it.
 HitchHykr01
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:33:18 AM
I've only been here a few months and have not met anyone IRL, most if not all my messages have gone unanswered.

Maybe we should have some sort of support group where we review each others profiles and point out things that we should change, etc., but staying truthful, of course. I'd love to get a woman's perspective about my profile, does it suck, do I sound like a psycho, just uninteresting? It's hard to sell yourself I think.
 LagunaGirl2
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/5/2012 9:10:42 AM
I find it extremely hard to meet a guy on here who wants someone more than to "Hit it & Quit It" . Unfortunately, I have found that men (maybe woman...but not me) look at POF as a Catalog to Score with Woman. One for every night of the week. Some have asked me to turn on the Skype and watch them do their "thing"....How gross. Those guys should go to another site that is for "below the belt entertainment." A lot of guys on here are come on to do noting but Score... I have taken a survey of the girls in Chicago...and that is our conclusion.
 LagunaGirl2
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/5/2012 9:13:43 AM
I cannot open up your profile to read it and give you ideas. Only the photos open up which look attractive. Don't know what the profile says anyway.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2012 3:47:21 PM
my best friend is getting married in a month to someone she met here 3 years ago. she will be 52 this summer and he will be 57.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >