Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do pets make a difference when considering a profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JSNC7
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Do pets make a difference when considering a profilePage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
" No where did I say I don't like pets or I don't like people who own pets."

From your very first post :

" When I see a person has a pet it gets an automatic by from me.

You could be handicapped no problem, you could have children, an aging relative or another human you are responsible for - no problem

But a pet - not a chance in the world. "

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. You aren't paying attention to what people are understanding from your thoughts, before you write, and send them.

Talk about sending mixed signals, and poor communicating!
 JSNC7
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Do pets make a difference when considering a profile
Posted: 4/23/2012 2:37:39 AM
"a lot of ladies of a certain age live alone, and have a little dog for company, so he is limiting his chances of meeting someone. "

I believe that it's smart for people to have dogs. For health reasons, for companionship, for security/protection, because they love them, etc.

Seeing how a woman interacts with her pet, whether it be a cat, dog, centipede, or whatever, it tells me a lot about her.
 22ogot
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/23/2012 8:00:56 AM
i have to think about this and your question , a lady goes into a grocery store every day and buys dog food in large quanties, the mgr ask what do you buy so much dog food , do you own a kennel ? she replyed no i feed it to my husband. oh my said the mgr you ' ll kill him /
no she said he lover it and i want to give him what he wants / ok sells her the dog food , after a month of this she stops buying the dog food , the manager ask what happen he desided he dont like the dog food any more no she said he died, oh my said the manager. you have killed him !!!!
no she said . he was sitting in the middle off the road licking him self and a truck ran over him!!! and you want me to kiss you honey , well maby not!!
 onehappyfellow
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2012 10:55:53 AM
WasabiGal2 No where did I say I am anti pet. I just don't want to own one myself. And you may not consider a pet as a surrogate for loving a human but many do love their pets more than humans.

I smile at those who anthropomorphize animals as if they were thinking humans with four legs and different shaped bodies. What ever turns your crank.

Yes I clearly understand concept of a package deal - love me, love my pet so why would I waste time for both of us on trying to build a relation ship.

Few complain because I don't want smokers or heavy drinkers but oh what umbrage because I don't want a pet. You'd think it was a sin not to want a pet.

Guess if I said I am a non believer and don't want Jesus freaks there are those who would condemn me to hell.

I wanted a cross section of opinion and I sure got it. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

Thanks to all and good fishing.
 Paderic
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/23/2012 11:00:11 AM
And you may not consider a pet as a surrogate for loving a human but many do love their pets more than humans.

I think these people represent a minority of pet owners.

Few complain because I don't want smokers or heavy drinkers but oh what umbrage because I don't want a pet. You'd think it was a sin not to want a pet.

I think that results more from your poorly expressed original post than from the fact that it is your preference.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/23/2012 11:49:13 AM
I would think if you dont like/want pets that you should bypass the profiles that speak to owning them. Common sense to me.

Personally, I love animals and pets and could not date a man who did not enjoy them.
 twelfth_dimension
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/23/2012 4:01:31 PM
So I guess what we've learned here is that some people like pets and some people don't. Some people like cats and will only date people with cats and others like dogs and will only date people with dogs.

Fascinating.
 onehappyfellow
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2012 4:28:12 PM
So Paderic
It's my poorly expressed original post is it?
Perhaps you are one of whom I spoke when I said some people see the world as they are not as it really is. Perhaps being a dog owner you may view the post not objectively but from the view of a dog owner.

From what expertise do you judge my post to be poorly expressed.

I have taught writing and photography in many places for many years. I have considerable experience as a writer and editor. My work - not me but my work - has received many awards, national black tie affairs awards and more local community awards from people who have followed my writing for years.

I know teaching at colleges and universities is no guarantee of expertise but it is something

And your expertise?

Some people speak or write because they have something to say while others speak and write because they must say something. Which camp do you fall into?
 mrbreezeet1
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/17/2012 7:23:49 PM

Deer taint.
I believe I like any pet other than a "cat" however I am sensative to people that have them although I can't stand them. My friend has to cats been over her house, but I can't stand them sneaking, weird sounding, gotta go in a litter box cats.
Now, if a guy has cats....it's a no no for me. Ceelow green, I didn't really care much for him, but kind of starting liking him for the show he's on....the voice....when I saw he likes cats....I was like OMG, its' going to take a while now before I can get to liking him again. LOL

Cats are nice animals if you give them a chance.
You probably never owned one.
 statemachine500
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:26:22 PM
I would be suspicous of a woman that didn't like dogs or cats.
 moraima
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:44:13 PM
"I cannot deal with dogs. They are needy, smelly and messy."

I sure wish that people could get their heads around the fact that dirty people own dirty animals.

I used to own a pet clinic. Yes accidents happened. Yes sick animals were there. The whole building was sterilized every day as is most clinics. I have been in human clinics that weren't that clean. People used to come in and comment on how clean smelling the building was. I used to tell them that people are in charge here, and those people know how to clean.

Pets don't make a difference in a profile to me unless there are pictures of ungroomed pets. Profile pictures of badly kept pets tell me that their owners don't keep them clean. Yes, there are profile pictures where I feel like sending a message that says "if you can't groom/clip your own dog, take it to a groomer". If the person that has that type of profile contacts me, I probably will tell them how I feel. I did have someone like that contact me. He proceeded to tell me that he doesn't need to keep his dogs clean because he is just breeding them for the money he can get from the puppies.............ew! on so many levels.
 forums1
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:56:33 PM
When I see a person has a pet it gets an automatic by from me.

Um, so *FOR YOU* apparently pets do make a difference in considering a profile. Seriously, what the heck does it matter to you what anyone else thinks? There is a lower age limit to join this site, are you sure you are an adult, because if you have to look to others for approval or disapproval of your own preferences, I kinda have to wonder...

We decide what we are willing to accept, you've decided you don't want an animal in your life at this point in time - so be it, all the more power to you, good luck in your search, and all that... I really don't get the point of this thread, whether pets made a difference to me in my choice of dating is my own personal choice, why would you care?
 statemachine500
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/18/2012 7:01:49 PM

I love animals and have found over the years that they can be very good judges of character.

This can be very true.Had a rotti male at an equipment compound,this one contractor would visit and try to befriend him.The rott would just stare at him,like don't try anything buddy.....the dog was right.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/18/2012 7:23:34 PM
Pets or no pets.
Either doesn't bother me.

unless.....
she has a dozen cats.
Then..... I might wonder.
 grove_22
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/18/2012 7:30:18 PM
This would only become a problem for me if I was allergic to a certain pet or the other person didn't properly take care of their pet. I know dog / cat owners who are married to or are dating people who hate dogs / cats. Clearly this is not a dealbreaker for all people.
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/18/2012 7:34:20 PM
Sure it makes a difference when considering a profile.
I am a pet lover. I have pets. Not everyone wants that.
I don't want them either if they don't or can't accept my pets.
It works out just fine......move along.
 dd3va
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 9:47:22 PM
I have a cat that purrs when she sees me and kills mice from the field behind my house. I also have a 7 month old black lab that rips up the mail and steals my socks but he is so happy to see me when I get home from work and I wouldn't have it any other way. The man for me will love it too.
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2012 7:27:32 PM
I love pets esp. dogs. I would not be into snakes, rats or spiders though. I like to hold the pets like dogs or cats. If a person was allergic, they would have to be put away if they visited the person if they could even tolerate it.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/20/2012 7:35:08 PM
When I was still looking, my profile stated that I had two adult children that did not live at home and two cats that weren't planning on moving out anytime soon. I still had a guy contact me who intensely disliked cats. On the first date he asked "if they are ten years old they are going to die soon, right?" That was also the last date. From that point forward, I made it perfectly clear to the point of asking in my first reply if they were okay with cats cause they really weren't going anywhere. Had a few that never contacted me again, dated a guy for a while that the cats would climb all over. So while for me pets are not an issue, they are for other people and that is fine with me. I really don't want someone around that can't stand the cats. They are not my life, but they are part of my life and I won't give them up for anyone.
 amalefriend
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/20/2012 8:23:48 PM
I don't trust people who don't like animals. They are not for me.
 Sasyecats
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/20/2012 9:17:08 PM
My youngest is very allergic to dogs and dark colored cats. Last man I dated had a dog, a great dog I adored her but I didn't feel right when he started talking about finding her home so we could get a place together. We split up ( for quite a few reasons ) and the dog ran away. I don't care to windup in that situation again.
 NG480
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 6:39:40 PM
IMO, it would 'only' make a difference if both persons share the same passion for animals. Other than that, it really depends on the person.

For me, honestly, i'm not used to being around animals; I'm less experienced. Doesn't mean that I dislike or hate them, though. They are great creatures to have around on this planet. ^_^
 bamagrl68
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/21/2012 9:38:44 PM
onehappyfellow- I grew up with both dogs and cats, but when I got older and had my choice, I prefer dogs.
My dogs are my babies, they go with me and I make that clear from the beginning.
It's possible for people who love pets to be with someone who doesn't, but in that situation the one compromising is the non pet lover. You can make it work with compromise, but the best matches are mutual pet lovers.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/22/2012 10:31:29 AM
I don't care whether or not a man has pets. There could be a variety of issues, including feeling incapable of handling the responsibility, moving too often, pets being disallowed where he lives, or any other number of reasons. As long as his reason isn't "I dislike pets", we're fine. My pet selection states that I have a cat and dog, but I also have two rats and two aquariums. A guy's gotta be ok with that since I absolutely love having pets and they're not going anywhere. There's no smelly litter box since my cat is toilet-trained. My dog is a harmless, perfectly silent little chihuahua. Rats are the sweetest, most intelligent and loving small pet someone can have. My pet lobster and fish are beautiful to watch. I wouldn't date a guy who would expect me to get rid of any of these pets.
 Jason022679
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/23/2012 5:58:17 PM
If she has a little dog dressed up in a skirt or a cat I'm out. Now if she has a lab or golden retriever then no big deal. If she's holding a fish, then we share a hobby!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do pets make a difference when considering a profile