Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do pets make a difference when considering a profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 44
Do pets make a difference when considering a profilePage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Pets or no pets.
Either doesn't bother me.

unless.....
she has a dozen cats.
Then..... I might wonder.
 grove_22
Msg: 45
Do pets make a difference when considering a profile
Posted: 6/18/2012 7:30:18 PM
This would only become a problem for me if I was allergic to a certain pet or the other person didn't properly take care of their pet. I know dog / cat owners who are married to or are dating people who hate dogs / cats. Clearly this is not a dealbreaker for all people.
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/18/2012 7:34:20 PM
Sure it makes a difference when considering a profile.
I am a pet lover. I have pets. Not everyone wants that.
I don't want them either if they don't or can't accept my pets.
It works out just fine......move along.
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/18/2012 8:25:54 PM
Yes it did, at one time I would never date anyone with pets ,couldn't stand the hair/fur now I'm a dog owner,I still hate the shedding but I love my doggie....
 anicesmartwoman
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/18/2012 8:52:29 PM
I haven't taken the time to read the rest of these replies.

But I would say--you would generally not be a good match at all for those of us with pets. So it's best for everyone if you pass us by!

"Surrogate object for affection"--You have a really unusual way of looking at pet ownership. Just like you appear to not understand us pet owners. I really cannot understand someone who has this view of the value (or lack thereof) of owning a pet. Sometimes there is just no common ground to be found.
 anicesmartwoman
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/19/2012 9:14:35 PM
xenoshane--LOL. That takes what I said about no common ground to an extreme. But, yeah! I don't trust them either.
 dd3va
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 9:47:22 PM
I have a cat that purrs when she sees me and kills mice from the field behind my house. I also have a 7 month old black lab that rips up the mail and steals my socks but he is so happy to see me when I get home from work and I wouldn't have it any other way. The man for me will love it too.
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2012 7:27:32 PM
I love pets esp. dogs. I would not be into snakes, rats or spiders though. I like to hold the pets like dogs or cats. If a person was allergic, they would have to be put away if they visited the person if they could even tolerate it.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/20/2012 7:35:08 PM
When I was still looking, my profile stated that I had two adult children that did not live at home and two cats that weren't planning on moving out anytime soon. I still had a guy contact me who intensely disliked cats. On the first date he asked "if they are ten years old they are going to die soon, right?" That was also the last date. From that point forward, I made it perfectly clear to the point of asking in my first reply if they were okay with cats cause they really weren't going anywhere. Had a few that never contacted me again, dated a guy for a while that the cats would climb all over. So while for me pets are not an issue, they are for other people and that is fine with me. I really don't want someone around that can't stand the cats. They are not my life, but they are part of my life and I won't give them up for anyone.
 amalefriend
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/20/2012 8:23:48 PM
I don't trust people who don't like animals. They are not for me.
 Sasyecats
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/20/2012 9:17:08 PM
My youngest is very allergic to dogs and dark colored cats. Last man I dated had a dog, a great dog I adored her but I didn't feel right when he started talking about finding her home so we could get a place together. We split up ( for quite a few reasons ) and the dog ran away. I don't care to windup in that situation again.
 NG480
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 6:39:40 PM
IMO, it would 'only' make a difference if both persons share the same passion for animals. Other than that, it really depends on the person.

For me, honestly, i'm not used to being around animals; I'm less experienced. Doesn't mean that I dislike or hate them, though. They are great creatures to have around on this planet. ^_^
 bamagrl68
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/21/2012 9:38:44 PM
onehappyfellow- I grew up with both dogs and cats, but when I got older and had my choice, I prefer dogs.
My dogs are my babies, they go with me and I make that clear from the beginning.
It's possible for people who love pets to be with someone who doesn't, but in that situation the one compromising is the non pet lover. You can make it work with compromise, but the best matches are mutual pet lovers.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/22/2012 10:31:29 AM
I don't care whether or not a man has pets. There could be a variety of issues, including feeling incapable of handling the responsibility, moving too often, pets being disallowed where he lives, or any other number of reasons. As long as his reason isn't "I dislike pets", we're fine. My pet selection states that I have a cat and dog, but I also have two rats and two aquariums. A guy's gotta be ok with that since I absolutely love having pets and they're not going anywhere. There's no smelly litter box since my cat is toilet-trained. My dog is a harmless, perfectly silent little chihuahua. Rats are the sweetest, most intelligent and loving small pet someone can have. My pet lobster and fish are beautiful to watch. I wouldn't date a guy who would expect me to get rid of any of these pets.
 Jason022679
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/23/2012 5:58:17 PM
If she has a little dog dressed up in a skirt or a cat I'm out. Now if she has a lab or golden retriever then no big deal. If she's holding a fish, then we share a hobby!
 abmccray
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 6:30:29 AM

It depends on what kind and how many. More than one dog is too much for me. Not a fan of them, and could live my whole life without them. BUT, having ONE dog or ONE cat is fine. I've went out with men who had 3-4 dogs and that's all they talked about. Imagine bachelor men with 4 dogs in the house...

Sorry...but no go.

If you're not at home for, like, 8 hours in a day in a row regularly - you -should- have more than one dog to curb its boredom/separation anxiety. Dogs are social animals - and having one dog, and being gone for half of the day is actually mean.
 AnAustralianWoman
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/26/2012 7:07:03 AM
I would question whether or not I would like to date a person that has never had a pet!
Surely at some stage in their life they had a pet...maybe a cat, dog, bird, fish,****oach, ant...any pet, because I would like to know how they felt about their pet and how they treated their pet.
A pet is company, doesn't judge you, and has unconditional if you feed it.
I personally have 3 cat's, 1 dog, 2 fish (use to be 7 fish but these two ate the other 5), and 1 duck.
If someone doesn't like the fact that I have pet's then they can continue on their way.
Shunning an animal show's disrespect to the animal kingdom and make's me ask why does MAN think he is any better than animal's?
Trust me there are some pretty stupid human's out there in the big wide world...far less than in the animal kingdom.
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/26/2012 7:14:08 AM
No problems here... the last love interest had 9 cats, they were not the issue.
She did not like dogs, go figure.
 Jusneedu
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/26/2012 3:25:12 PM
Pets to me, does make a difference.
If someone shows on thier profile pictures, and talks about all thier animals in thier profile, then yes, it makes me take a step back.
I am allergic to cats, and not one to go to someones house when it reaks of animal feces an urine.

Been there done that, and NOT into the smell and hair all over my clothing when I leave. Sorry, but that's just the way it is, no matter how cute the pet or pets.....

And to the one who said if you dont like pets, you have no heart. Not true...... I have a huge heart, but pet dander, hair all over my clothes and the smell is not for me.
 abmccray
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 3:30:48 PM
Well, too bad you went to people who didn't vacuum or give their pets baths' houses, I guess? You guys go out with some of the worst people.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/26/2012 3:40:02 PM

Well, too bad you went to people who didn't vacuum or give their pets baths' houses, I guess? You guys go out with some of the worst people.

I agree with you completely. I have two long-haired cats, all my furniture is covered unless I am having guests (easier to throw the covers in the wash than to try and get the embedded hair off the furniture) and the floors are swept routinely to keep the hair away.

Animals shouldn't smell and the homes of people with pets shouldn't smell. If that is so something is wrong. That being said, people who are seriously allergic to cats or dogs will still notice their presence no matter how clean the space is kept.
 ClassyAngel1
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/26/2012 3:42:37 PM
Me, I don't mind dating men with pets--in fact I did date a man with a dog-felt like there was competition on that.
I would never put pets before people, but makes me think there are people out there that will-never thought I would encounter that-but never say never....so I am a little leary on that...will pass on their profiles. Yes, a dog does give their masters unconditional love, but give others a chance! Gee!!
 Rheostatic
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/26/2012 7:53:12 PM
For some, it makes a huge difference. For others, it doesn't really matter. Women who have (or love) bigger dogs go right to the top of my list. If she outright states she doesn't like or want dogs, I hold nothing against her but simply won't contact her - it just wouldn't work out.
 webmdtech
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2012 12:58:28 PM
i am so surprised to hear so much negativity toards animals.. makes me sad. animals are such a loyal friends. If i see a profile with an animal my heart melts, it shows they have compassion . Common people. Like Incubas said ' I hope not everyone is that fu**ed up and cold."
 Sniper308
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/29/2012 2:46:39 PM
OP: Yes, it makes a difference to me. Someone who doesn't like (for that matter, love) pets will not be someone with whom I can get along. What they have in their heart won't be what I have in mine and it would absolutely, positively become a source of conflict sooner or later.

Perhaps you've had better experiences with the human race than have I. However, all I see around me is one half of mankind ___ing over the OTHER half of mankind for a piece of the action. I see it in this country and I've seen it around the world. Where I don't see it is in the animal kingdom. I tend to have infinitely more respect for most animals than I do for most humans... and, on my part, from my perspective, WITH GOOD REASON.

So again, for me personally, it comes down to what is in a person's heart. I couldn't have a woman in my life who saw animals as just "things." What is in my heart would not mix well with what was in hers.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do pets make a difference when considering a profile