Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 6
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest AlbumsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I can't really criticize any of the albums I saw on the list, but I'm an old guy. I only skimmed the top 150 or so, but it's really heavy on the 60's and 70's. This is the kind of list I would pick. That makes me suspicious right there. Most of the people in North America are younger than me - do we really want to try to tell young people that these are the greatest albums of all time just cause they're the ones that we liked when we were young?
 Rheostatic
Msg: 7
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums
Posted: 5/2/2012 5:28:54 AM
STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!1
 Neptune74
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:34:01 AM
None of my top 10 or so favourite artist in the top 100 albums, so I stopped looking. Isn't this the list of "top 500 albums for middle aged, middle of the road ,white male taste list"?

It would be torture for me to listen to the top 100 albums.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/2/2012 7:17:53 AM

Hard to argue with that. Regardless if a Rush fan or not, their stuff dwarfs most of the fluff listed.

...in your opinion...
 Cobra977horsepower
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/28/2012 10:29:29 PM
If you go by album sales alone, Led Zeppelin tops them all.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/30/2012 6:29:01 AM
Food for thought: a not-insignificant number of albums on this list were given lousy reviews by Rolling Stone at the time of their release.

Led Zeppelin
Radiohead
Nirvana
The Beatles
Black Sabbath
Weezer

all had albums that receieved 2-3 stars, and these same albums went on to score highly in the 500 Greatest Albums list.
 Socalguy1962
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 4:50:11 PM
Rolling Stone has no credibility IMO.

They mercilessly slagged every Black Sabbath record and concert review throughout the 70's and now they have three of their albums in the top 500 of all time....puleeese. (Should've been at least 4 albums, IMO)

Then R.S. is drooling and all touchy feely like the old crazy uncle hidden away in the attic, over the Beatles and Springsteen....overrated, IMO.

Radiohead, Beck, and Moby (a trio of suck, if there ever was one) are on the list. But no Rush, Yes or at least DEEP PURPLE's iconic Machine Head??

Do these same people vote for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Shame)?

The thing about lists like this, everyone can debate till they're all blue in the face and not be right or wrong...lol
 musicfellow38
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/3/2012 12:47:51 PM
Lists are great fun simply because of discussions like this. The more familiar you are with popular music, the more fun it is BECAUSE it is subjective and creates fun contoversy. Beatle fans love asking each other what each other's favourite albums are. and so on. Same with movies, books, etc. Quality is only a small consideration. Cultural impact gets it to the top of the list for consideration.

The list of experts who decided upon the list is impressive but each probably came up with their OWN list. The individual's own lists would be interesting... such as what was Elton John's favourite albums vs Clive Davis?

The final list is the common denomenator from all these others lists. That's why The Beatles have so much prominence. They would be pretty much where you start when it comes to lists like this because they pretty much invented the idea of the "classic album". The sixites and 70's were gigantic for albums in general. And some 80's. but eventually, the singles took over again in the form of downloads, cd singles, radio play, videos, etc. that's why 60's and 70's are so heavily represented. When it comes to "albums" as we know them, THESE were the decades that made them so. Once MTV kicked in, it started to become broken up in different types of markets and then downloading changed everything. Still great albums, but the ALBUM was not a heavy a focus as back in those decades. Plus, the older something is and still loved, the better hold it will take on popular culture and in our hearts.
 musicfellow38
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/4/2012 2:34:36 PM

Re the 60's and 70's being gigantic for albums....sort of. Teens bought single 45's until the mid 60's...most kids couldn't afford an album. Also, many of the top selling albums are from the 80's.

Thanks for the compliments on my original post. Sciencetreker. Lovin' the nickname by the way. We probably have more than just music in common.

As far as 80's selling more, the 80'd had great albums too. I think of Thriller, Faith, Born In The USA, etc. The 90's had Nirvana, REM's big explosion, Pearl jam, Dave Matthews and the jam band explosion, Metallica are STILL huge sellers and not to mention rap and hip hop and so on. They cannot be ignored and I agree. However, I kind of compare it to movies too.

In movies, They are like a decade behind. I think it's safe to say that the 70's in movies are what the 60's did for music. Arguably, Star Wars being the beatles of the movie world. Fast forward several decades and you have the biggest money makers of all time having been made in the past 10-15 years, if THAT. BUT, how many of them would come close to the top of a list of the best movies of all time?

Because of the timing, cultural impact and longevity, movies like Star Wars, Godfather, Jaws will always score higher than even The Dark Knight or Goodfellas or any new Speilberg movie. Because they simply "earned" their place into people's hearts over years of culture and they lasted for whatever reason. it's hard not to think of them as the best.

Superman The Movie is my number one all time favourite movie. because it's the best? The Avengers, no matter how much I enjoy it or how well it does, will never beat Superman in my mind because I grew up with Superman and has become part of my life that I held all other fun fantasy blockbusters against. No other movie made me more excited when the ABC Sunday night movie came on with it's preview of what's coming up RIGHT NOW on TV.

Anyway... just more of what I already said I guess.
 musicfellow38
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/4/2012 2:43:46 PM
Something else I hate on these types of lists is modern releases that are fresh and never had a chance to digest into popular culture. Including movies like The Avengers and Dark Knight and Titanic close to the top of movie list would be premature and probably change quite a bit as the years go by, Not from new competition but how the art lasts the test of time.

I remember albums like Don Henley's End of the Innocence and The Stone's Steel Wheels making the top 10 or 20 on these lists back when they were within a year old. I'l bet they are not on this list at ALL now.

Blockbuster movies that got nominated or won oscars made the movie lists at the time were Shakespear In Love, Babe, Life Is Beautiful, etc. Do they make the list now? no. Blade Runner was a huge critical AND commercial failure when it came out. and I'll bet it's on the lists today.
 musicfellow38
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/5/2012 8:29:40 AM
totally agreed sciencetreker.

And to add to that, car radios of those who actually have cars are either tuned into classic rock, 80's and 90's retro, etc. Which were not much of a thing for rock and roll listeners in the early days obviously. Not to mention tons of variety on radio. More impoertantly, it wasn't until the mid 70's or later that listening to ANYTHING other than radio in the car was a popular thing like 8 tracks or cassettes. Now, mp3 players are huge, cd's, etc.

So, you're right. of course.

Sometimes people aks if the Beatles came out today, in today's culture, would they be as big? of course not, No band will. When they played Sullivan, it was like the ONLY thing on. try to get everyone watching the same show on the same network nowadays that doesn't involve footage of a major city under attack by jet planes or something. Even THEN...... not quite Sullivan/beatle ratings.
 DeepakTolle
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/23/2015 2:12:51 PM

You can tabulate which records sold the most but taste is subjective.

Exactly !
 Witnesstomythoughts
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/25/2015 5:11:40 PM

With those numbers is there any doubt which was the Greatest band of all time?

According to who ??????????

Shall I make a list of the greatest potato chips so you have no doubt what they are based on MY personal taste ?

You can tabulate which records sold the most but taste is subjective.

Post of the MILLENIA !
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >