Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 12
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I figure I'm relatively safe. Zombies want brains. When the zombie apocalypse happens, I'll be King of the World, baby. Yeah, who's stupid now?
 part deux
Msg: 13
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:13:02 PM
I would go out and eat all the junk food I want; it's the zombie apocalypse, I no longer need to watch my figure.
 lagoda
Msg: 14
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:47:56 PM
Schadenfreude at its finest hour.

I think I could turn bad, real bad. Laughing and pointing with just cause. Time to kick ass for as long as possible, even get me a gun. Bigger the better.
 torgo70
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/25/2012 5:56:43 AM
Wait for Asia Argento to come pick me up in Dead Reckoning...she promised.
 torgo70
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/25/2012 6:05:27 AM
I'm not sure The Walking Dead is a good how-to guide...all it taught me was how to constantly argue amongst my group. Shaun Of The Dead? Hmmm, no, at least not Shaun's group, now the girl they ran into, and who came back in the end? Yes, she obviously knew what she was doing.

Fido is good if you want to learn how to make zombies into domestic help.

The best survival guide- "The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead"
http://www.amazon.com/The-Zombie-Survival-Guide-Protection/dp/1400049628
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/25/2012 9:03:47 AM
The fine funny film, "Fido" addressed the technology that could harness zombies for good.
Zomcon, a better life through containment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2rlszMJc8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mo6C6up1Qo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fido_(film)

The film takes place in a 1950s-esque alternate universe where radiation from space has turned the dead into zombies. This resulted in the "Zombie Wars", where humanity battled zombies to prevent a zombie apocalypse, with humanity the ultimate victor. The radiation still plagues humanity, as all those who die after the original contamination turn into the undead, unless the dead body is disposed of by decapitation or cremation. In order to continue living normal lives, communities are fenced with the help of a governing corporation named Zomcon. Zomcon provides collars with accompanying remote controls to control the zombies' hunger for flesh so as to use them as slaves or servants.

In the town of Willard, whose name is a reference to the town in the original 1968 Night of the Living Dead, housewife Helen Robinson (Carrie-Anne Moss) buys a zombie in spite of her husband Bill's (Dylan Baker) zombie phobia, as Bill has had bad experiences with zombies having been a veteran of the Zombie Wars. Their son, Timmy (K'Sun Ray), befriends the zombie, naming him "Fido" (his true name is never revealed, and little is revealed of his "pre-zombie" life, except that he died of myocardial infarction, and at one point Helen wishes she had met him before she got married and when he was still alive). One day, Fido's collar malfunctions and he kills their next door neighbor, who turns into a zombie. Timmy "kills" the zombified neighbor later, but not before she kills and infects another person, causing a small outbreak. Zomcom security forces quell the situation and then investigate what caused the outbreak.

When a pair of local bullies are blamed for the missing neighbor, they capture Fido and Timmy. Fido escapes and runs to find Helen, who comes and rescues Timmy from the bullies (who, through misadventure and Fido's hunger for human flesh, are now zombies), and they try to forget about the whole thing. Several days later, the neighbor's body is found and the murder is traced back to Fido, who is taken away to Zomcon where the public is told he will be destroyed. Timmy learns through Cindy Bottoms (Alexia Fast), daughter of Jonathan Bottoms (Henry Czerny), Zomcon's abusive security chief, that Fido is simply working in a factory at Zomcon. Timmy sets out to rescue him with the help of Mr. Theopolis (Tim Blake Nelson), previous security chief of Zomcon who was forced into early retirement when it was discovered he was found guilty of fraternization with his female zombie, whom he has remarkably preserved well to retard her decaying process, thus giving her a relatively attractive appearance.

Meanwhile, Timmy locates Fido, but is captured by Mr. Bottoms, who attempts to throw Timmy into the zombie-infested "wild zone" that exists outside of the fenced communities. Bill comes to the rescue and is killed by Mr. Bottoms, who in turn is killed by Fido. Timmy is set free and the news media propagandizes that the Zomcom security breach was the fault of rednecks who venture out into the wild zone to hunt zombies for fun. Helen finally learns not to belittle Bill's bad experiences from the Zombie Wars by paying for a headless funeral in order to prevent his zombification. The film ends with Fido as a surrogate father and husband, Timmy, Helen and Helen's newborn baby by Bill as a new family. They, along with a few neighbors happily enjoy their new domestic lives together, including the zombified Jonathan Bottoms who is now more attentive to his daughter.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 21
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/25/2012 2:32:37 PM
That's some good shooting. And I come from people who had to shoot well in order to eat. I got a .22 on the day I was born.

But all the same, I think chainsaws are more sporting. I guess I'm just a traditionalist.
 lagoda
Msg: 22
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/25/2012 3:09:01 PM
Ha! Ha! ^^^

Now that we have nothing to lose, we have the terribly suppressed gun toting wannabes coming out of the closet when we were so conservative in that other thread. hee hee! How hypocritical. hee hee!

My brother and I went to the farm to visit during the summers. My uncles taught us to shoot their shotguns when I was about 7 . After they left the farm, my dad never took over the task. He had a bad experience in the military and so my brother was only allowed to have BB guns, and bows. My dad taught us to box, but that seems rather lame for zombies.

I'm pretty handy with some power tools. But unless you have a gun you'd need someone to 'do us both' when the time came.

I bet there'd be a lot of quickly resolved dating issues in those days.

Consider this our first date. Here's your rifle. Here comes one now!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 23
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/25/2012 3:22:31 PM
Just cause I know guns are necessary and useful doesn't mean I think having them in urban areas is a good idea.

I grew up with a healthy respect for guns and shooting. Something I see very little of from those advocating packing a filled shoulder holster.
 lagoda
Msg: 24
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/25/2012 6:43:09 PM
Survival of the fittest doesn't fit in anywhere in the present timeline. It's a nasty, rough concept that civilized people shouldn't be having. There would be little morality other than take care of what is yours and do unto others before they do it to you.

After the apocalypse, then all of that bad behavior will be justified. Seriously, I don't think I'd want to be around either. When I was younger I was more adventurous. But we wouldn't be talking about the wild west, where the next cabin 10 miles up was sure to have a bit of rabbit stewing on the hearth.
 torgo70
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/26/2012 7:51:20 AM

The fine funny film, "Fido" addressed the technology that could harness zombies for good.

While the people are busy watching the movie and trying to recreate said technology, Asia Argento will have already rescued me.
 red_fir
Msg: 29
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/26/2012 8:47:42 AM
In all the movies I've seen the zombies congregate in desert wastelands, and large cities, so I'm going to Bamf.....
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 30
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/28/2012 12:52:23 PM
You've got a problem then. Cause you won't find that town on any map. You'd have to go down so pretty lonely roads to get to Banff anyway.
 Worbug
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/29/2012 10:55:15 AM
Well considering how much I love the forums, the first thing I wound HAVE to do would be log into the forums and find the "The Zombies Are Here" Thread's in the Off Topic threads. Then I would read all the arguments from the forum liberals that society needs to accept and embrace the Zombies because it is genetic and not a choice to be a zombie, that they deserve to play in all the Reindeer Games that everyone else enjoys, and then about they guy that shot a Zombie just because he was a Zombie minding his own business, and then read all the post about how unhealthy the eating habits the Zombies have, that them eating brains is destroying the health care system, and then the read the arguments about how all the illegal Zombies are taking all the jobs and need to be deported, and the list would go on.

As sure as God made little green apples, if Zombies ever became a real thing, all of you know threads like I have described would pop up and the usual posters would be would be arguing both sides of the issues.

AS for what would I do, I think I would probably get pretty creative like Bill Murray did and dress and act like one tripping them up, pulling pranks, finding all kinds of creative ways of dismemberment, having fun finding out which bullet gives the best head shot, probably chain a few up, train them and keep for pets, have lots of fun getting all kinds of luxury items the the New Zombies of the Rich and Famous no longer need. My life, at that time, would be Fun, exciting, scary. Some would describe my actions Obscene I am quite sure.
 JDinMN
Msg: 33
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/29/2012 5:07:05 PM

The only thing there might be a shortage of would be pretty women

Once we lost the influence of the media around what is "pretty" and moved into survival mode; any woman who didn't want to eat your brains would become "pretty".

My dad taught us to box, but that seems rather lame for zombies.

Push a T-handled knife through the glove and start popping zombies in the brain pan. This is potentially more effective than guns because of the no ammo requirement and quickness of take down. But big disadvantage is way close combat and if the virus is transmitted via any bodily fluid - you'd need a face mask and could never get cut. On second thought, just run.

For me, it would depend on how fast the virus was spreading. If there were zombies beating on the door I'd clear and grab the boogie bag. If time permits, slow spreading, I'd use my 2 week reserves, monitor the situation, set up a defensive position, recon/buy additional supplies to prep for extended bug out.

Weird thing is that I was recently thinking about building a wood gasification unit to power a generator. Just because I'm cool like that. (Translation = a dork). :>
 lagoda
Msg: 34
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/29/2012 6:05:36 PM
I am amazed how cool and smart everyone sounds in this thread.

Chuck Norris. You can retire. We don't need you.

Zombies. We got this.
 red_fir
Msg: 36
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/29/2012 6:54:44 PM
Fema's simple downdraft wood gasifier for use in national emergencies;

www.woodgas.net/files/FEMA_emergency_gassifer.pdf

For the technically incompetent;

http://gasifier.wpengine.com/personal-energy-grid
 lagoda
Msg: 37
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/29/2012 11:32:03 PM
When I saw the gasifier attached to that puddle jumper in the first site, I decided to skip the first link and go to the second one. It doesn't take no genius to know that would be one loud piece of equipment. Not too environmentally friendly to the wildlife.

The Victory Gasworks site doesn't say how many gold necklaces and teeth I should send them, how many of my family one unit will service, or whether they deliver. But it sounds like it would be pretty good to set out on a couple acres in the arboreal forest out back. That would keep my slacker relatives busy chopping wood. Build muscles and keep them axes handy. I hear squirrels, as fast and nimble as they can be, will sometimes hang out in the tree tops watching the ruckus below right up until the backcut. The kids with their nettings can scoot on over to the back lean and harvest them critters along with the felling. Grand time to be had by one and all.

This is looking like the best family reunion ever.
 JDinMN
Msg: 38
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 4/30/2012 5:24:38 AM

somebody been watching the Colony?

I originally saw about these power conversion units from a paper written by a prof at Auburn University (War Eagle!) about how they powered a truck with it.

Just looked up The Colony's one. Blah. I can do better. They didn't even have a radiator/gas cooler on theirs. But I was amazed when it worked.

And "wow, a scifichicky?" Totally heart you! I'd have to shoot msg 8 (Igor).

We'd all be around the campfire.
scifichicky: "Where's Igor?"
me: cleaning pistol "umm, ehhh, dunno" (shrug)... :>
 lagoda
Msg: 41
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 5/8/2012 7:32:44 PM
^^ cover, you'd die and then become one. You have to take precautions against that sort of thing.
 Casper66
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 5/8/2012 10:53:39 PM
Well I'd take the tricked out RV from Land of the Dead, holds multiple people, guns, food, water and you can drive to more remote less populated areas to avoid hordes of zombies. If I had to do hand to hand, I thought it was a great idea they had in 28 days later with the police riot gear to protect you from bites and spray, one of my favourite Zombie movies, that and Shawn of the dead. Just finished watching aaaaahhhhh Zombies, they think we are the infected.
 Casper66
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 5/9/2012 10:01:52 AM

but I'd go one better and trick out a Semi-trailer or one of those massive tour buses

We could start a convoy Bladesmith and travel around picking up other POF formites as we go.
 lagoda
Msg: 45
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 5/9/2012 7:35:35 PM
That would finally put the Biltmore to good use. Are the grounds fortified?
 Casper66
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 5/9/2012 7:49:48 PM

Well, Let's just all meet up and take the Biltmore, plenty of space for everybody and lots of open ground around it to boobytrap and higher places for sniper duty.... if you gotta hole up might as well do it in STYLE

Great place, I'm in.

Don't know how to shoot blade, but I know which end the bullet comes out, and I doubt it would take very long to learn with all those Zombies, most of my family hunt so I'm familar with rifles.
 part deux
Msg: 48
Zombie Apocalypse U.S.
Posted: 5/10/2012 12:57:50 PM
I hate to admit it, but I know myself, and I would probably wind up zombie food in 2.2 seconds after the apocalypse hits.Me, and my 2 zombie pugs, will be coming for your big, juicy, brain, scifi!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >