Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Best guns for concealed carry?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 48
Best guns for concealed carry?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

False again, South Africa, a developed western country has a considerably higher homicide with firearms rate, as well as much more restrictive laws.

oh, these things can be quite misleading , it takes times for a change in law to have effect too; South Africa brought in tougher gun control laws in 2004; prior to that civilians , farmers, etc. would often carry full-auto Uzis & other sub-machine guns with them as they went about their daily tasks, I recall seeing photos from the 1980's & 1990's of farmers on their tractor with an Uzi slung over their shoulder..

Joe Blow has consistently shown he is capable if licensed and trained properly. I'll cite again the statistic that of 25,000 people < murdered with guns in the US between 2007 and 2009, only around 100 were by CCW holders. By contrast, 317 were by sworn police officers. I agree that people who carry should train and be prepared to use their gun. They should also get training in weapons retention so that they can prevent it from being taken from them.

did you mean to use the word "murdered" in that post, as in killed with no lawful reason, killed unlawfully? or did you mean "killed by"..?

In any event, one would assume that sworn police officers more routinely go INTO situations facing armed criminals in high-risk situations, e.g. break-ins, armed robberies, etc.

Supposedly licensed civilian CCW holders would not normally deliberately go into high-risk situations, e.g enter a bank while a hold-up is in progress, or confront an armed hostage-taker, etc.

also the number killed is sort of meaningless without giving the total # of CCW holders vs. the total # of sworn LEOs in the US
 red_fir
Msg: 49
Best guns for concealed carry?
Posted: 4/26/2012 9:02:19 AM
And Back to Topic!

All of the Makarovs are excellent pocket pistols,
Kimbers Solo 9mm is only marginally larger than a .380 but damned expensive.
I've used Rossi snubnosed .357 and found it unusually accurate
Most of the S&W auto's made through the 80's and 90's had a trigger pull that required a crowbar for adequate leverage so test it before you buy it.
 Paul K
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2012 4:34:15 PM
Hey red........

You wrote:
"I've teased myself with the prospect of a custom single action in 5.7x28mm, it would be an excellent round to harvest furbearers with almost no pelt damage. "

Check into one of the HMR .17 rimfire magnums........ Rimfire, incredible velocity and range. Currently only in bolt action rifles, very affordable. VERY cool.

Paul K
 jlbiv
Msg: 51
Posted: 4/27/2012 4:49:13 PM

Can't speak for the Ruger, I've never owned one. I have had a Glock 23, USP 45 Tactical, and S&W 340CT. The small revolvers are ok, they're reliable and not subject to many failures. If you put it in your pocket, no matter what holster you use, you can still tell it's a revolver in your pocket when you sit down and your pants pull tight around your leg. The profile is unmistakeable. The Glock I didn't care for the angle of the grip, too swept for my liking. If I came up on target without paying attention, I was always pointing high. So for me, this wasn't a natural feel. The USP was great, although it's a large gun, it can be hidden if you're wearing the right clothes. Down side, it's a .45ACP, very expensive to shoot and practice with.

I would go with the PM9 Kahr, it's small, compact, and 9mm is cheap to practice with. With practice, you can be more effective of a shot with a smaller 9mm than a larger heavier bullet.

As far as the other comments I've read... Your odds of being involved in a violent crime are about 1 in 4 in this country. Police can't be everywhere and likely wont be able to help you immediately in your most desperate moment if you are trying to save your life or the life of someone you care about. You'll have to save yourself. I'd prefer to be have the ability to do so if I need to though. Also I wouldn't worry about conceal carry people jumping in as good samaritans, there's some pretty hefty liability if they choose to do so. There's no law requiring you to aid anyone just because you carry, you can just call for help and the police can help whenever they arrive.

As far as guns "accidentally" going off... Not too likely with modern firearms. The way new guns are made, it takes some pretty deliberate actions to get them to fire. I think the little revolver I had required 12+ lbs of pull on the trigger to pull the internal hammer back and release to make it fire, and pulling the trigger was the only way to get it to go off. Most guns (especially pistols) have firing pin blocks to prevent accidental firing.

Now for a few obligatory cliches for everyone to enjoy!

“Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.”
Mahatma Ghandi

Gun control is the notion that a woman found in an alley raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

Actually this almost happened the weekend I was getting my permit. My class instruction was from police officers, and that weekend a woman shot an attacker who was attempting to rob her at an ATM at night. That's what the officers told us the next day anyway.

If you don't think conceal carry is any kind of deterrent, you may have noticed most shooting or other crimes by criminals are taking place more and more in "pistol free zones".... ie schools, college campuses, dorms, churches, entertainment facilities or bars. No law abiding person can fight back there.
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 52
Posted: 10/3/2012 6:15:08 PM
""""""""We don't have a need to carry a gun in Canada.

So sad you do."""""""""

Is that because Canada basically took them away?? so sad.........

good day,eh???

PROTON67
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/4/2012 11:21:32 AM
I like the little 22 caliber Beretta p21 bobcat with the popup barrel. It is a semi auto with a 7 shot clip and one in the barrel. Its flat. The ammo is cheap. It easily fits in your pocket without creating a bulge. No one can tell you have it. You can charge it without pulling back the slide, which is hard on your fingers. You just popup the barrel, put one in it, and close it. You can fire all 8 shots in 2 seconds or less. Its not a big caliber but you can whup anybody when you can punch 8 22 caliber holes in them first. Try to get 1 or 2 shots in their head or eyeball. That'll take the fight out of them.
 billingsmason
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/4/2012 4:41:21 PM
.357 snubnose... very accurate in an elevator.

Some things to consider, what is the use? Specifically self defense at close range....
Why carry a long barreled gun if you will never fire it farther than 8-12 feet away? Farther is not self defense, closer is too late.

I have heard the Ruger is prone to jam, the Glock has guide rod problems and the short grip is uncomfortable.
Autos tend to jam if not very clean. A gun carried daily is easily filled with lint and pocket debris.... so I think the revolver is a great choice. Never jams, never have to worry about a safety or if it's got one in the chamber. Having a gun smith take a few pounds off the pull is cheap and easy.

In New Mex, the weapon wasn't loaded it was fine to conceal. So the clip in one pocket, the gun in the other.... no permit required. That is the only reason I see to carry an auto.

I would not recommend anything smaller than a .32. I know two guys shot with smaller caliber pistols a .22 and a .380. Neither was very happy. A leather jacket or vest was enough to slow down the round.

The debate and hate on the subject is funny. Are there no violent crimes in Canada? Do the victims feel that way?

If forced to use your weapon- use it. Double tap center mass.
A conflict situation surges adrenaline through you, people forget to do things like pull the slide or even aim...
 Paul K
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 6:36:06 PM
A lot of people sneer at a .22LR........... That is a bad move, dude. The Berreta .22 with the pop up barrel is an excellent gun. we were out in the desert once and decided to see if we could make it jam by shooting too many rounds through it. We had 4 magazines, and took turns loading and shooting. We got tired and bored and quit after about 30 minutes of straight shooting. The frame and handle got very hot, but that little bad boy kept right on firing.

I think that the best carry weapon for someone who wants an auto, is a .380 cal., either the Berreta or the Walther. Again, since it is something if called upon MUST work, don't cheap out. S&W makes an excellent 5 round revolver with a hidden hammer, so it won't get caught on clothing when you pull it out. Only double action, so that may take a bit of getting used to.

The most useless round is a .25cal.......... I'd rather have a .22 anyday.

As was already stated, clean the gun regularly, and go to the range and fire it at least twice or three times a year. My personal choice is a S&W 19, 2-1/2 inch barrel, .357 cal. I keep .38 +P in it. Even though it is heavy, the weight keeps the gun steady when aiming. I am currently look for a laser pointer for it, don't really like what is out on the market. Probably more important than a laser pointer is having glow in the dark sights put on....... that way, it is easier to aim in the dark. However, it would be very intimidating to see a glowing red dot on your chest if you were a bad guy.

Paul K
 BuzWeaver
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/4/2012 6:45:18 PM
I have a .38 Airweight. Nice gun, very reliable. And very light.
I'm looking at the Ruger LCP and the Glock 26 (Baby Glock)
Saw something on Youtube about the Ruger jamming though.
Love to hear about what other people carry and why.

The Glock 26 is a very reliable gun even if you go with the Gen4. I'm not a fan of Glock but my Father has owned them for years and he really enjoys the Glock line (he has a 26). I have two different options, one is the Taurus Millennium Pro and the Springfield 3.8 XDM.

The Taurus is kind of the miss fit of guns, its not one that your typical gun owner would suggest, but I find it to be very reliable and an excellent CCW. The XDM 3.8 has an extended Mag, 20+1, if you live in California you'll not be able to purchase the XDM with that size Mags. XDM's are quite popular with recreational shooters, which is what I am, they are incredibly accurate, extremely well designed and its just a fantastic side arm.

If you're more fond of Glock's the 26 will be a great choice. If you haven't already consider taking a gun course it will go over some of the common methods of CCW.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 7:30:58 PM
I have an FN 5.7 pistols and love it. Better then glocks imo. I hope i never have to run into a scenario where i have to use it, but if i have to and have no other choice to defend myself in a leathel scenario then it's good i have one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven

Cotter you used to be on the pistol team at OSU? Damn i didn't know that whenever i make my way up in those parts to visit family one of these days we should go pistol shooting at the gun range. I bet you can fire a mean round..
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/4/2012 8:06:50 PM
Try to take my guns, I'm going to kill you

That's because you're a poosy, and live your life in fear.
It's probably best you do have guns as they are still more likely to kill a family member than a criminal, so if it keeps you from breeding....
I'm thinking that's a win for everyone.
;-)
 MrFication
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2012 5:40:49 PM
I prefer any double action .45 ACP. Easy enough to still conceal, big enough to kill probably any would be attacker, not so big as to be cumbersome. Reason for double action, as nice as 1911s are, I just don't want to have to carry it hammer back or have to try to****the hammer if at point blank. I've been seeing good reviews for 10 mm, but still favor the larger bullet.
Lots of women I have met have been preferring a smaller gun that hides well on themselves, like a Kahr or small Beretta.
Luckily, I live in a cold part of the country so it is easy to conceal even larger frame handguns nearly year round. A Colt Anaconda or Desert Eagle might be tough...or might need to grow to about 7 ft tall.
 Rickyblueeyes
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/6/2012 6:00:45 PM
Ruger has the P345 which is a light weight .45 with a polymer lower and metal upper.. I bought one for $320 at a gunshow, then sold it for $500.. which I regret now.
unfortunatly, it's impossible to conceal carry my S&W .460XVR, although..just pulling it out out of the holster is usually deterrent enough.
 BlokeInSydney
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/8/2012 1:17:23 AM

Try to take my guns, I'm going to kill you

That's because you're a poosy, and live your life in fear.
It's probably best you do have guns as they are still more likely to kill a family member than a criminal, so if it keeps you from breeding....
I'm thinking that's a win for everyone.
;-)

I was pretty gobsmacked by that bloke's posting too. 'I will kill you', not 'I will resist' or 'I will maim you', but 'I will kill you'.

So, a law enforcement officer comes to his house and orders him to surrender his weapons and this person will open fire? And this bloke will feel justified in committing murder?
 3ffervescent
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2012 6:16:38 PM

That's not freedom, that's enslavement.

That is not freedom, that's messed up...
 BlokeInSydney
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/10/2012 12:10:07 AM

I respect your right to be a sheep if you choose to. And you should respect my right to have firearms.

I just don't think you have the right to commit murder with them.

If you are that fearful and paranoid you think you have to kill someone who wants to take your toys away, then you have a bit of a problem.

Do you think your right to have deadly weapons is greater than someone else's right to live, especially if this person is a police officer who has sworn an oath to uphold the law and protect YOU?

Once you go down that road I'm pretty sure no amount of weaponry will be enough to stop them not only taking your guns, but you also to gaol. And you will rightly be called a murderer.

Great freedoms that every human should have.

I have the right to do anything I want provided I don't tread upon anybody else's rights and I don't have the right to walk around with a deadly weapon.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/10/2012 4:47:23 AM
Just got my concealed carry permit in the mail about 2 weeks ago. Thank you Gov Scott Walker! Now is the time for me to look at a new toy. I might get a small .380
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Best guns for concealed carry?