Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chill78
Msg: 85
Why dont guys like girls who like football?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

I cannot sit around all weekend and watch football. Especially if it is a nice day outside. I rather being doing something outdoors. I lived most of my life in tempered climate and if is above 60, I am not sitting around at a sports bar or on the couch wasting time

Being active and watching football is not mutually exclusive. I can do other things on Friday night, Saturday, and/or Sunday morning, and still watch football during Sunday afternoon. Also, there is no meaningful football for 7 months in a year. Including the spring and summer when the weather is usually better.
 TOaks91360
Msg: 86
Why dont guys like girls who like football?
Posted: 2/8/2014 10:43:22 AM
Replace football with contact sports. That should improve your luck:)
 cooldog65
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2014 4:43:16 AM

I wonder if I could find a woman who would like to watch lingerie football (Lingerie Football League is for real) if it's ever televised or comes to my area. It's like Hooters on steroids.

LFL has been renamed Legends Football League and we have the Seattle Mist.

I don't like girls who like Seattle. :-(

I do. Pause the game at halftime...She and I can let off some built up tension...Touchdown!
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2014 7:01:48 AM
Nothing wrong with a woman that likes sport.

However, if you are trying to appeal to a man because of it that is a bad idea. Most men like women that are feminine for the most part which is why the tom boy-ish types tend to have mixed results. This is also why telling a man how you have a degree and are trying to compete with him doesn't really lead to anywhere. Most men don't put that much emphasis on what degree you have or if you even have one.
 Iteration77
Msg: 90
Posted: 2/24/2014 7:18:29 AM
I've got a novel idea - why don't people (of either gender) just be themselves?

Participate in the activities you enjoy and be honest about it. Be who you are and then when you meet someone you click with, it has a better shot at being a decent match. They'll see who you are and if they like you, they will like you for who you are.

I happen to love sports. I played sports when I was younger, still work out, run in races and I'm an avid sports fan. I think it's fun. It's not right or wrong, it's simply me. If someone likes that about me, great (and frankly I've met plenty of guys who do indeed like that about me). If someone doesn't like that in a woman, they probably won't be interested in me and that's fine: nothing wrong with that at all. My goal isn't to appeal to everyone, nor should it be.

Why do we all make this so complicated?
 EricTheBrave
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/24/2014 8:59:43 AM

Why do we all make this so complicated?

Because that's the purpose of these forums. This is especially helpful for the elder segment -- keep the mind sharp, keep dementia at bay a while longer.
 sddude
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2014 9:51:21 AM
That question seem like it comes from another dimension or existance. I never heard guys complain about that
unless you know some very special ones, most guys either do not care or like that women like sports or that sport,
unless you look like a manly quarterback I see no reason for a guy to complain about that.I would not complain.
 chill78
Msg: 93
Posted: 2/24/2014 8:06:48 PM

I actually care what you or men think? I'm past the age of giving a crap and catering to men. Football is some stupid sport that men participate and watch because it makes them feel more macho than they are.

It's okay if you don't like football. But stereotyping people just because they have different interests is uncalled for.
 chill78
Msg: 95
Posted: 2/25/2014 6:13:40 AM

Must I really repeat myself, I don't give a bleep about what others want or think and getting permission from anyone isn't on my priority list. Get over yourself. If you can't enjoy any kind of sport that includes yourself in it, you have a problem. Spectator sports are there to make men feel macho and to be annoying.

You keep proving my point with these types of statements.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 96
Posted: 2/25/2014 8:06:01 AM
Not quite sure who the OP runs across who doesn't like girls who like football...

but the people who also love football like the fact I love it. The people who don't like sports just find it amusing and we talk about other things.

It's like any other kind of interest; people have a lot of things float their boat, that they are passionate about. SOME people assume if you are female and you put that you like sports (baseball and football especially) that it is just to cater to guys; not because we genuinely love sports.

There is a reason I'm on multiple fantasy teams. There is a reason I have not missed a game in most of my lifetime; there is a reason I am known as the purple bleeder...and the twins fanatic.

If someone else likes sports; cool; we enjoy hanging out shooting the breeze and cheering/surviving the games together. If not; we get together after the game is over and we talk about different things.

It is no different than any other interest; only some guys seem surprised that we actually GET the sport; I honestly think some people think female brains are wired to not be able to undertand them; and I know a bunch of EXTREMELY rabid fans that are women that would give guys a run for their money (I may or may not be one of them LOL).

To each his or her own :)
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 97
Posted: 2/25/2014 7:53:48 PM
I don't know how true this is but I've heard it a couple times:

Men don't care if a woman loves football (or anything similar) as long as she's not going to insist that he give up his football friends and/or insist that she be allowed to go along when he hangs out with friends to watch it.
 TigerMan54
Msg: 98
Posted: 2/27/2014 4:55:26 AM
From ilovechristmas:

Spectator sports are there to make men feel macho and to be annoying.

You've got a point and I like your attitude, but really they are there to distract us from other more important matters. Christmas rules!
 Iteration77
Msg: 99
Posted: 2/27/2014 6:25:02 AM

Men don't care if a woman loves football (or anything similar) as long as she's not going to insist that he give up his football friends and/or insist that she be allowed to go along when he hangs out with friends to watch it.

Not sure if that is true or not. I've actually experienced a couple times that the GUY wanted to be included in my plans with my friends (who I watch with every Sunday) a little earlier than I was comfortable with.

An example from 2013: "We've only known each other a couple weeks, it's Super Bowl weekend, why don't you watch with your friends and I'll watch with mine?" was NOT enthusiastically received when I suggested it.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 100
Posted: 2/27/2014 11:35:24 AM

Not sure if that is true or not. I've actually experienced a couple times that the GUY wanted to be included in my plans with my friends (who I watch with every Sunday) a little earlier than I was comfortable with.

An example from 2013: "We've only known each other a couple weeks, it's Super Bowl weekend, why don't you watch with your friends and I'll watch with mine?" was NOT enthusiastically received when I suggested it.

Silly! Of course you suggesting it first will change the whole dynamic. Had you wanted him to ditch his friends and watch it with you or give the OK for you to tag along with his it may have been different. Option of first refusal, and all that.
 Iteration77
Msg: 101
Posted: 2/27/2014 11:42:47 AM

Silly! Of course you suggesting it first will change the whole dynamic. Had you wanted him to ditch his friends and watch it with you or give the OK for you to tag along with his it may have been different. Option of first refusal, and all that.

Ah! LOL. So if I had just given him a reason to say "Stay off my turf, you foolish woman! Stop crowding me! How dare you make demands on me!!" that would have somehow been 'better'? Too funny.

Seriously though - I think that a lot of people just want to find something, anything to complain about - damned if you do, damned if you don't... The negativity that is expressed in here by some folks (not you womaninprogress) just astounds me.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 102
Posted: 3/1/2014 6:01:59 AM
LOL: Yeah, never heard liking football to be the equivalent of trying to break into the lions' club... didn't realize it was a one gender sport; I know a couple women that even have a room in their house painted vikings colors they are so fanatical.

But there is a difference between liking football and demanding an audience while watching a game. Most of the time I'm asked to watch games in a sports bar one on one; but have also been asked to go to a bar to watch with a group of friends (usually there MAYBE will be one other woman, but a lot of times not)... though I have found I end up talking to other fantasy owners as much as if not more than the one who invited me; not because of me but kind of end up getting coopted by them...

but it's never been a problem, I'm just one of the guys. I think it's literally just based on the confidence level of guys whether they can handle it (or guys who hate women period).

It's a comfort zone thing. I don't barge in; I only go when asked. I think that's true of a lot of
. Anyone who assumes otherwise, you know what they say about they that assume...

:)

as for the negativity expressed astounding you (to the woman above me) this is pof forums... it is some people's hobby being negative in here :) The just want to spread joy, sweetness and love from their overflowing reserve of happiness...
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/1/2014 6:10:41 AM
I could completely care less about football, ...I'm a Sci-Fi geek...'nuff said. LOL Yeah, I'm a guy who doesn't like football.

I find it though, ironic that some women had put in their profiles that the guy SHE dates MUST like football. Remember back in the day when women hated football? I think back in the old days they'd sit in a separate room discussing their own interests while the men watched the game in the TV room.

Thus the term coined, 'The Football Widow".

Now, the tables have turned (at least in my case). LOL
 Ainen
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/1/2014 7:18:38 AM
This thread is a trainwreck from the beginning. The thread title is a false premise. This site is international, so it's ambiguous whether they mean soccer or American football.

In reality, girls who are fans of American football get a lot of attention from guys. On here, I don't get many responses from gals whose profiles have photos of them in football jerseys, teams in their interests list, or football a part of their about me. They probably get more attention on here because they have a relateable, shared interest, a conversation starter.

Msg 103: if ScroogeGrinch doesn't like football, she can just ignore it, no need to try to attack fans. You don't see football fans bashing the Oscars and the people who watch them.

I let girls know they'll be a football widow most Sundays in the fall. They usually understand because their father or brother is a fan.
 Crystal_Planet
Msg: 105
Posted: 3/1/2014 7:48:49 AM
Must I really repeat myself, I don't give a bleep about what others want or think and getting permission from anyone isn't on my priority list. Get over yourself. If you can't enjoy any kind of sport that includes yourself in it, you have a problem. Spectator sports are there to make men feel macho and to be annoying.

I bet you can't walk into a park without birds perching on your shoulders and singing a la Disney's Snow White. Children flock to you and the lineup for potential suitors goes around the block. I'm surprised that you can take time out of your busy schedule from brokering world peace and volunteering at orphanages to post here.
 chill78
Msg: 106
Posted: 3/1/2014 8:20:54 AM

I love watching football, all my exs knew this, and they either watched with me, or did their own thing, it wasn't a deal breaker....I didn't throw a hissy fit when she settled in to watch Greys or the Bachelor.

Agreed. Although I think a couple should have some common interests, we don't have to spend ALL of our free time together. If a woman doesn't like football, I can hang out with her Friday night and/or Saturday and watch football on Sunday afternoon. While she is doing something that I may not be interested in.

I don't like opera or ballet. There are certain sports such as golf and NASCAR that I don't like. But I don't stereotype people that like these things.
 Walts
Msg: 107
Posted: 3/1/2014 9:40:02 AM
I like campfires.

They're warm.

I also like my arse kissed too though.

That, and other stuff.
 Mdpfla
Msg: 108
Posted: 3/3/2014 1:46:25 PM
I love a girl that likes football. Even more so, one that likes baseball.
 ZoopCoop
Msg: 109
Posted: 3/5/2014 2:59:05 AM
It is not your "football love" as to why someone does not like you, that is a reason someone is giving you because they can't articulate what they actually mean. It has more to do with your personality, appearance and attractiveness than anything remotely to do with football. For example say you looked like Jennifer Lawrence and had the personality of an Angel but you loved football would guys want to date that person? Remember "what about mary" Cameron Diaz loved football in that movie and every guy loved her. Football is not the issue here, neither is one particular interest it is a broader scope of how

Previous posters said things like "guys don't like aggressive" please ignore those comments, It is simply not true and bad advice. Aggressive has so many connotations its hard to define. What people dislike is the far left of aggressive which is called being passive aggressive, on the far right is domineering or ****y, a different problem. However aggressive is usually a very healthy and good thing in every relationship.
 chill78
Msg: 110
Posted: 3/8/2014 7:45:35 AM

If you live for a spectator sport instead of living your own life, you definitely have problems. Baseball is tolerable to me because you can sit outside in the sunshine and warmer weather, watch the game in person have klondikes and hot dogs shot to you by the mascot of a team and BS to people in the stands. Football is just a bunch of men that fall down and get up again to me in cold weather.

Being a fan of football doesn’t necessarily mean a person has “problems” or has no social life. As mentioned before, I can watch football on Sunday afternoon and do other things on Friday Night, Saturday, or even Sunday morning. BTW, in general there is more action in football compared to baseball.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 111
Posted: 3/8/2014 9:05:17 AM
I like both football and baseball for wildly different reasons. When you are in an overtime game with the playoffs on the line (and bragging rights if you're with a fan of the opposing team) :) it can be incredibly fun to watch; fantasy you have to think, (and have luck), project and be a student of the game... And if you have a frustrating OC, you can go to the game and calle very single offensive play your team is going to play (and if you're right, it means you need to fire your coordinator, because if you can call them ahead so can the defense for the other team... and it is a whole lot easier to adjust when you know exactly what you are going to be facing every down and every situation.

Baseball is a TOTALLY different animal than football. Baseball is not a high adrenaline game start to finish like a lot of football is, but it is a very cerebral game with a ton of strategy, and ironically a lot of passion. Some people only like 14-8 games with baseball because they have more going on; but hwen you are playing in an interleague game with a pitcher going for a one hitter late in the game and they are up to bat, do you bench them for a high average pinch hitter and hope the reliever can keep it locked down if you get the run or keep them in there and hope someone else can get lucky?

Do you go for the suicide squeeze? Do you go for the sac fly or try and hit for the single? Swing for the fence or bunt to move up the runners? How much do you trust your hitters, how much can the runner manufacture on the basebaths to get into the pitcher's head? Do you put in the lefty against the righty, even though the righty has been hitting like crazy the past few games? Do you try and send the runner to take third with two outs when you are having incredible difficulty getting anything going?

Add to that gorgeous 80 degree nights, a cold beer and a dog and good company, baseball is a summer sport with incredible memories.

TOTALLy different watching that than watching football with a bunch of people (or one significant person) while you may or may not do something to disract yourself if you are hitting a bunch of three and outs and your QB is all over the place and telegraphing and the D is keying in... but when you hit a beautifully executed football game hitting on all cylinders, it can be a sweetly satisfying thing :)

football is a lot more than a bunch of big men falling down, and baseball is a WHOLE lot more than a snoozefest with a bunch of people standing around doing nothing.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >