Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "we are all individuals!"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vlad dracul
Msg: 10
view profile
History
we are all individuals!Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
pgl

bollocks to work this morning im going to watch life of brian
pity i have no incontinentia buttocth to watch it with me.

anyway the greek shall inherit the earth
 vampyreshadow
Msg: 11
view profile
History
we are all individuals!
Posted: 4/28/2012 1:15:59 AM
I believe our herd instincts, nationalism etc, get us into to much trouble, and individualism and individual thinking should be encouraged, See Stanley Malgrims Perils of Obedience, free thinkers tend to cause less trouble then Authoritarian mentalities.Bad people do bad things all the time, but for good people to do bad things, one just need to encourage blind obedience to authority
 want to travel
Msg: 12
view profile
History
we are all individuals!
Posted: 4/28/2012 11:46:21 AM
Really since Old Bush, came out with, the new world order, that is exactly what has happened
mass media, is now very subjective
show a tiny bit of flesh, the movie gets an r rating, show the world ending and all manners of violence...pg
where is the M.A>S>H, and all in the familly, nowhere, anything that does not conform exactly to what mass media shows, is considered a threat to national security
the USA does not even show its fallen soldiers comming home from the wars in flag draped coffins
somehow Bush, thought that was contrary to national security, and Obama has not changed anything
A lot of us count on the USA, as the best chance for freedom, if it fall the rest of the world will too!
 trinity818
Msg: 13
we are all individuals!
Posted: 4/28/2012 2:51:55 PM

the USA does not even show its fallen soldiers comming home from the wars in flag draped coffins
somehow Bush, thought that was contrary to national security, and Obama has not changed anything

Not true. Under President Obama the policy was changed to allow them to be publicized with the family's permission.

http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=4757

For nearly two decades, Pentagon officials insisted there was no way to allow news coverage of returning American war dead at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware without intruding on the privacy of families or infringing on the sanctity of the mission. But in February, the Obama administration eased the tight restrictions that had been in place since 1991. Under the revised policy, the immediate next-of-kin of the fallen are asked if they would like members of the news media on hand when the remains of their loved ones arrive at Dover and are transferred to the Air Force mortuary. In more than two-thirds of the cases, the answer from families has been "yes."
 JDinMN
Msg: 14
we are all individuals!
Posted: 4/29/2012 5:20:03 PM
Interesting. I did my master's thesis on this sort of topic. I theorized that individuals act as particles and groups of two or more act as waves. Much like the wave/particle duality of light.

Groups are more easily influenced because for there to be an "ism" like nationalism, there has to be the opposite of it. Somebody across some border somewhere. Whereas individuals have to be influenced one at a time.

Because of the (1 / -1) nature of groups (or belongs and don't belongs) groups are more prone to group think and localized biases. Groups are at their base a division method.
 DameWrite
Msg: 15
view profile
History
we are all individuals!
Posted: 4/30/2012 9:39:10 AM
The characteristic? Integrity.
If we act with integrity it will show in the work we do, the art we make, the children we raise, the relationships we have the bodies we use and the earth we live on.

A healthy community helps others, help themselves.

What does it look like? Great! a lot of smiling faces (and if someones not smiling, we find out why and do what we can so they do).
 want to travel
Msg: 16
view profile
History
we are all individuals!
Posted: 4/30/2012 11:56:25 AM
so, what if someone is looking for attention
are you going to the symphony to hear the music, or judge all the other people around you (you actually gave all of us the amswer, you are not there for the music)
who are YOU to think you know what is proper and wahat is not!
 DameWrite
Msg: 17
view profile
History
we are all individuals!
Posted: 4/30/2012 12:53:03 PM
Wear whatever you like, I honestly don't care.
Would it matter to you that I don't own a gown and I might have to make do with my "do"? Or should I stay home because I don't own something appropriate? Is a hundred dollar dress appropriate, or does it have to cost thousands? Is home made OK? Or does it have to be from the latest designer? See how things get out of hand?
Let people wear what they want. If you don't like it, you don't have to look.

I like seeing people dressed it odd ways, it's fun and a refection of THEIR personality. It doesn't hurt anyone.
Where as telling people they have to dress "appropriately" just might.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 18
view profile
History
we are all individuals!
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:28:41 PM
Yes we are individuals- but we are also a part of humanity as well. Its part of a duality of our existence.

Its always be a part of how we live our lives. Do you conform or go at it alone?
Talk the same? It a very useful tool sometimes. Dress the same? Sometimes yes and sometimes no or to a degree.

But by supporting ourselves as individuals, we can add strength to the group as a whole. And being rich in something, we can share it with others in exchange for something we have in less abundance.

Now of individuality has a bad effect on the group, it will be discouraged. Things such as theft, fighting over the same peace of land or possessions generally leads to a bad end.

Too much group think and they all walk off a cliff. But listening to one person may save them. But following a single leader can result in the same.

These are the type of choices we make every day. Choose wisely.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "we are all individuals!"