Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Anyone else only come here for the forums?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 windowgarden
Msg: 76
Anyone else only come here for the forums?Page 4 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
The forums are fun and interesting!!! So much more so then Eharmony forums, which I think ar mean and nasty to people (the posters). There are a couple of women on eh that are downright hateful...Explains why they're there instead of out on a date. I think the men here on POF forums participate more as well. And also you can learn a lot of valuable info here!!!
 Pingshooter
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Anyone else only come here for the forums?
Posted: 5/14/2012 6:21:26 AM
I originally came here to see how to date.
Discovered the Forums, and like them.
Now, I frequent the Forums and exchange notes with the Forum friends I have made.

Not adverse to dating, just spend more time reading, participating in the Forums, than actively searching for a date.
 Kariann71
Msg: 78
Posted: 5/14/2012 6:29:11 AM
Yep, just a forum user here. The conversations are always highly entertaining and sometimes quite educational.
 AnAustralianWoman
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/14/2012 7:27:07 AM
Forum's only for me thanks.
I prefer to meet people in the real world. That way what you see is what you get.
I have had way too many people make contact that turn out to be way too young or just want an intimate encounter, I'm over it.
 BrockLee74
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/14/2012 9:36:26 AM
I am here for the forums. I do look around and occasionally answer a PM, but the forum is my main reason I come here.
 Miss W
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/14/2012 9:44:10 AM
I have been on and off of here for awhile. I started out looking to date but found that it had a lot to be desired. Then I found the forums. If I had not found them, I would have been long gone. I went into hiding for awhile, and am even considering dating if someone great comes along. If not, I like the forums.
 Capn_America
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/14/2012 9:49:54 AM
I just come on here to laugh at all the scary people
 becknboys
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 7:55:42 AM
Amen brother! Just started an identical thread myself! haha Guess we can welcome each other, or high five or something? lol
 Daisyrose73
Msg: 84
Posted: 6/19/2012 7:59:16 AM
I'm only here for the forums. Profile is hidden as I have found the one. I don't even log into the other side of the site.
 Chrisdan57
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:06:02 AM
Forums only....picture deleted, profile hidden.
 SilverLight
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:31:49 AM
Only the forums. Not interested in serial daters or contracting an STD.
 cooldog65
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:36:33 AM
One day I clicked on forums out of curiosity and now I spend most of my time here. Not looking to date at this time, as I realize I'm still in recovery from my last relationship that ended a little over a year ago.
 onlydateIF
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/19/2012 11:37:00 AM
If someone from here showed up who seemed like an apropos candidate,and I was interested, I would date them. This doesn't usually happen though. Not bc I'm too picky as the underachievers are always sayin, but bc I know they can achieve at least as much as me if not more-nothing was ever handed to me in life, I worked for it all, and I have overcome many an obstacle in life and prevailed. The forums are a great way to take a break from whatever else is 'up on the screen' for me in regular life. I don't fret over dates or not from here. IRL has always been my first choice, and for good reason :)
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 89
Posted: 6/19/2012 11:39:34 AM
I prefer to meet people in the real world. That way what you see is what you get.

Absolutely.
No one ever lies about their age or job or marital status in the real world. (rolls eyes)
 TRESemme1
Msg: 90
Posted: 6/19/2012 11:50:23 AM
i come here 99% for the forums and 1% for other stuffs.
 bmore_goat
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 12:08:13 PM
Forums only.
Profile hidden, don't even really sign in on the part anymore.
 HeartOn64
Msg: 92
Posted: 6/19/2012 12:14:34 PM
Does anyone come here to actually date?
Here for the forums with a hidden profile
thanks to finding love 3 years ago here.
 Capn_America
Msg: 93
Posted: 6/19/2012 12:15:49 PM

No one ever lies about their age or job or marital status in the real world. (rolls eyes)

Come on dude.
Hard to say your 30 when in fact your 50. Unless you look particularly youthfull, people will notice.
Marital status is another story however
 wanderer1999
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 12:17:09 PM
Just for the forums unless I somehow end up single again.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/19/2012 12:17:56 PM
I'm curious to know how many people spend the majority of their time looking for dates on this site as opposed to checking the forums.

I'm here strictly for forum participation, and have my profile hidden from searches. I've already met my match on another dating site. I'm open to having a few "chat buddies" from the forums, however.
 okiehairstylist
Msg: 96
Posted: 6/19/2012 12:46:30 PM
I had a profile a long time ago... but I must say the forums brought me back... however... I must say the attention doesn't suck! :)
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/19/2012 1:05:19 PM
I usually come for the dating side but stay with forums even after hiding my profile, whether dating someone actively or just clearing my head from meeting dating overload.

Sometimes the attitude in the forums can get to me; when you have some people who seem to want to deliberately pick fights and twist words so that they can throw them back in people's faces or those who seem to want to attack people when they're down...

but there have been some amazing inspirational people, stories, some incredibly funny (and twisted) humor and a lot of people who do truly want to help; so I get sometimes inspired in here as much as I get depressed by some others.

So right now I am only here for the forums. The people watching is amazing... (sometimes in a train wreck kind of way, mind you; but still... amazing) :)
 HawkingJr
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 1:25:54 PM
I have to be seriously wanting for something to do to end up in the forums. I was on the site for 2.5 years before I ever made a single forum post, despite knowing they existed since I first joined the dating side. Having been a hardened veteran of numerous other website forums (most unrelated to dating) since the mid-90s, I knew what a vast time suck they were (there's nothing like being up at 3AM trying to compose the perfect retort when you have work in 4 hours) and figured it was best I just stay clear of POF's.

But after 2.5 years of dating side futility, I finally ventured into the forums to see if anyone could help me figure out what I was doing wrong.

Nearly 3 years later I realize, nobody knows what anybody's doing wrong.

Actually, the ultimate foolishness is asking dating-side advice from users who have completely abandoned the dating-side. Which, as evidenced by this thread, is probably over 90% of forum regulars.

Yes, exceptions to those who abandoned the dating side because they found somebody there. But if I were in their shoes, you'd never see me again on the forums-side. Because I'd no longer be "wanting for something to do" and would also no longer feel the need to vent my POF frustration in these hallowed halls, since I wouldn't have any. Indeed, during periods when my business life has gotten completely out of control, I've gone months without logging into the forums. But I have logged onto the dating side almost every day since I first joined (though when things are "completely out of control" I log-in just to check views and messages and don't have time to attempt to make first contact with anyone).

I'm actually not sure I consider the forums to be entertainment. The Help area is definitely informative. The rest is, well, war. More in the opening scene of "Saving Private Ryan"-sense rather than the actual D-Day invasion of Normandy-sense. Maybe a little sport to it, too. If I make a post, I hunker down immediately and wait for the fall-out. I'm actually pretty disappointed in myself if at least 5 people don't try to rip me to shreds afterwards. I suppose it's entertainment if you consider masochism to be entertainment.

But because I have no kids, no gf/wife, not close to family, friends are growing apart because of their own growing families, I suppose I come to these forums on occasion just because any non-work-related human interaction is good human interaction, even if largely negative and over the internet.

So, thank-you, sir; may I have another?
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 99
Posted: 6/19/2012 1:33:49 PM

Actually, the ultimate foolishness is asking dating-side advice from users who have completely abandoned the dating-side. Which, as evidenced by this thread, is probably over 90% of forum regulars.

um, if you are reading forums, a LOT of the people who are forums only (who are a lot less than 90% by the way)? A lot of us abandoned the dating side because we found someone on it. I know many people who HAVE found people online (both genders).. though like I have said in the past at least here in Minnesota there are more women than men on it so it is a lot more even than people in forums lead people to believe on the man vs women online overall thing.

We didn't all abandon it because it didn't work. It depends on how you use it. There are a lot of things that I have read that could work; but every time i see you you always say all these reasons they won't work for you; so if you have it figured out; don't ask. Still say you can do special interest groups as well; you seem to have strong areas of especial interest; so find people in person who like those things and meet them; online is good on occasion but in person is good too.

(but you are right; there is a lot of war-like tone in SOME of the topics; but some are pretty cool) Peace.
 karma1160
Msg: 100
Posted: 6/19/2012 4:13:18 PM
I am here for the forums only it can be a huge eye opener as to how people really feel .
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Anyone else only come here for the forums?