Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Anyone else only come here for the forums?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ilovetodance1234
Msg: 101
Anyone else only come here for the forums?Page 5 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Mostly here for the forums. Have not had much luck with the "meet-n-greet", "dating" etc. Have found at times though that I have to take a break from it when the responses become toxic, twisted and arguementative. Unfortunately this type of behavior also is found in profile communication. Had a guy last night contact me to tell me I have a pretty smile but proceeded to verbally attack me about my profile. It is amazing though how much one learns in the forums about how people feel, react, and what preferences are. Some are good, some are bad but each to their own.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 102
Anyone else only come here for the forums?
Posted: 6/19/2012 4:57:04 PM

Come on dude.
Hard to say your 30 when in fact your 50. Unless you look particularly youthfull, people will notice.

Sure, 20 years might be a stretch, but I met a woman in real life who first told me she was 42, which she did look, and I was 42 at the time, then she got busted when she told me where she went to high school......MY high school......which meant she should have been in my graduating class. She wasn't in any of my yearbooks, so when I asked her about it, she confessed to lying about her age, she was really 52.
 MyHandsHurt
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/19/2012 5:29:19 PM
My popularity as a fish has dwindled. This forum is the only thing I like. I have actually made friends from this forum.
 ExitingTheStage
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/19/2012 6:41:17 PM
Forums only.... although I window shop profiles, I don't take anything off the rack for now.

Social opportunities are on hold.... so forums are entertaining
 HawkingJr
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2012 7:08:56 AM
"who are a lot less than 90% by the way"

Every time one of these threads pops up, there is very little support for the dating side. In this thread alone, I count close to 90% "forums-only." Admittedly, the way the question was stated, people who aren't here for "forums-only" might have decided it was a question not addressed to them and left it alone, but still.

Also, do note I said "forum regulars." In the the suggestion/help forum, I'd wager the vast majority of threads are started by users who are definitely on the site for dating, but are not "forum regulars." Most often they make a post sincerely seeking help, and then get sermonized and demonized for having done so and are never heard from again. Most other forums (including this one) are largely populated by "forum regulars," though the original post of a thread is often asked by a "fly-by-night" user (who often is just a troll).

And I did say in the very next paragraph after the one you quoted that "Yes, exceptions to those who abandoned the dating side because they found somebody there." Obviously, on a site with 40 million users, on occasion two star-crossed lovers are going to stumble across one another, but as many of those 90% of forum regulars will tell you, POF does its damnedest to make it as difficult as possible for that to happen.

Which puts me and quite a few others in an interesting awkward position. Because I am somehow both simultaneously defending the dating side and condemning it. Which a lot of forum regulars are ALSO doing but to the completely opposite effect. POF's dating side is indeed of an inferior nature... but it is the only real reason for the existence of the site as a whole. There are a lot of users who anytime POF makes a mistake or someone brings up a suggestion to make the dating side better will trip all over themselves to defend POF's dating side decisions and actions to their last breath... and then will come into a thread like this and admit they are only here for "forums-only" because nothing good was happening on the dating side. W...T...F? On the other hand, I am saying through both sides of my mouth that the dating side sucks... but frequently tossing out ideas that could possibly make it better, and continuing to use the dating side in the meanwhile because it is the best thing I currently have for my sole purpose in being a POF user.

BTW, I'm definitely not dismissing online dating in general. I have met a lot of women from other dating sites. POF just has a bunch of issues that make it a much less useful tool for me specifically, which arguably is "my problem," not POF's. But if they want to make any money directly from me (and others like me frustrated with the site's deficiencies), they would be wise to implement some of my ideas that I would be willing to pay for. Isn't that what it's all about? Making money?

(Somewhat OT: My #1 special interest is obviously filmmaking... a hobby/business with very few women besides actresses, who, with all apologies to those I've worked with, usually are among the most superficial women on earth.)
 catfa51
Msg: 106
Posted: 6/21/2012 8:40:21 AM
I really have no time, nor desire right now to date, so I impart my knowledge in the forums!
 natgoat227
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 10:27:06 AM
I started out with six hours developing my profile and then on the Search line....
(during my 3-day probationary period...)
in an ever-expanding radius...
I found several Very Attractive potential partners, but it always came down to one of two factors :
"You're Too Old for me!"
Or
"You're Too Far Away!"
(Okay...3....)
"I'm just here for the Forums!"
Now...The Forums are an extension of the Search....
Showing a little more of my personality and attitude than can be displayed in my profile....
without making it overly long and dull.
Maybe...just Maybe...some nice Lady that I haven't noticed, yet...will take a shine to something I post...
and make the First Move!
Stranger things Have happened..!!
Not ALL the good ones are Taken...!!
 Capn_America
Msg: 108
Posted: 6/21/2012 10:32:43 AM

Not ALL the good ones are Taken...!!

True.
They didn't have to be born in freaking SOUTH AFRICA compared to where I live though LOL
 RAMPERBILL
Msg: 109
Posted: 6/21/2012 11:19:00 AM
Aside from the forums, I also come here for dessert. Nothing better that a big bowl of I scream with nuts. You'll never run out of rocky road here.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 11:54:09 AM
The effectiveness of searching for a date in the forums has to be pretty limited. There are only about 3 women that I am aware of who are current forum regulars that live within 50 miles of me (two of which are much older than me), yet nearly 30,000 POF members overall are in that same 50 mile radius. That's actually much worse than the 1-3% of POF members who are forum users that both other users and the site itself frequently quotes -- that's 0.1%. I'm sure the percentages in NYC and LA and London and Toronto are better than that, but even 1-3% is not particularly useful when you consider how many of those will not be attractive to you and not anywhere near your age range.

Now if you're willing to relocate or carry on long distance affairs, that's another story entirely. I'd probably do it for the world's most perfect woman myself. But back in the early days of the internet, I recall getting deeply involved with a couple of women I met online from Canada and LA, and maybe their "interest" in me was at least partially inspired by the notion that it was unlikely we would ever meet, but as it turns out I ended up with business trips to that area of Canada and LA after a few months of emailing each of them, and both freaked out at the idea of meeting. I'm not saying it can't sometimes work out -- indeed from the same (non-dating) site I came across the LA woman (or more like, she came across me, since she emailed me first), a pair who lived hundreds of miles apart eventually got together and married because of their interactions on the message board. But as someone who actually met them a couple of times, I can tell you, NEVER were two people on this planet meant for each other more than they were. That's pretty rare.

I'm just saying, I definitely wouldn't be counting on the POF forums themselves as a dating tool, because the percentage of locals that frequent them are so low and most people aren't willing to "go the distance." I have come across a handful of threads in which people mentioned falling in love through the forums, but I guarantee you the liklihood of meeting someone special through the dating side is much higher, no matter how bad it seems sometimes.
 Capn_America
Msg: 111
Posted: 6/21/2012 11:58:55 AM

Aside from the forums, I also come here for dessert. Nothing better that a big bowl of I scream with nuts. You'll never run out of rocky road here.

I am SO committing that one in the great big book of cool jokes to tell when your with english speaking people LOL. Thanks Ramper
 OutMind
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/21/2012 12:17:20 PM
I come here for the pop corn.
 RAMPERBILL
Msg: 113
Posted: 6/21/2012 12:47:32 PM
I am SO committing that one in the great big book of cool jokes to tell when your with english speaking people LOL. Thanks Ramper
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You're welcome Cap'n. Just want to mention Copyright 2012, Ramperbill Productions. I can use the extra money.
 ladyc4
Msg: 114
Posted: 6/21/2012 1:34:57 PM
Ramper,
That is a hilarious and often accurate observation.

I'm a forum regular. I try to be kind whenever possible. Even with other forumites whom I regularly( or so it seems) butt heads with, I'm truly saddened when/if they encounter personal adversity-but to work the forums for DATES...
yeow! Granted there are those whom I appreciate for their personalities, viewpoints and sense of humor, and some I probably would date were it in the realm of practicality...but I didn't come here(forums) to actually LOOK for dates and I certainly do not particularly regard the forums as a source for dates. ( wow-was that a huge collective sigh ovf relief or did a tornado just go thru here?) LOL.
Cindy O
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 115
Posted: 6/21/2012 2:19:37 PM

I come here for the pop corn.

And the twizzlers :)
 NG480
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 5:34:11 PM
For me, I would love to make a few friends here that relate to, or not relate to 'all', the same interests that I am before it evolves into a relationship. Other that that, it really depends. ^_^
 Smoky_Blue
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/21/2012 8:06:17 PM
ditto for forums, twizzlers, friends and ummm the drinks..

but my glass is empty so I am off for my 151 and sum coke..

I hear the other drinsk are over >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 BlackJacket87
Msg: 118
Posted: 6/21/2012 8:14:42 PM
The forums are becoming the only place I come to. I've tried this site again and have had more success now than in the past, but even after going through a few profiles and getting some messages, it doesn't feel like I'm finding anyone (except one person) I'm interested in. That one is nice, but I'm not so much having a fun time going through profiles and not liking what I see or hear.
 msholiday1
Msg: 119
Posted: 6/22/2012 3:54:37 AM
Here mostly for the forums. Live in a small community and there aren't many single men but if one should come along.........
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 120
Posted: 6/22/2012 4:21:45 AM
I love dumbing it down on here....no not a persons profile name ,me....I read between the lines and and draw out the unsuspecting innocent soles...I usually don't give advice, there seems to be enough of that and most posts are usually answered within the 1st 10 responses...., so I will throw in my 2 cents of wit or not....,I was on and off here for 5 yrs ....had 250 followers....but I just don't feel like giving it my all anymore so I keep things simple.....

Hmmm just maybe this is one of those posts that will draw out the best in some of us ..lets wait and see!!!!
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 121
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:01:31 AM

I read between the lines and and draw out the unsuspecting innocent soles

Dude. The foot fetish thread is in the Sex and Sexuality Issues forum.
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 122
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:28:28 AM
Exactly my point!!!! I wrote it like that for a reason....did you not read my entire post lol....outwit the witted ....or as the fox said to the rabbit "you still smell like a rabbit"

"Hmmm just maybe this is one of those posts that will draw out the best in some of us ..lets wait and see" !!!! TAADAA!!
 ucancallmenina
Msg: 123
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:35:44 AM
i started just to meet someone to date but that hasn't worked out so i come over here and read instead.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 124
Posted: 6/22/2012 1:25:06 PM

I come on here to be ignored, seems to be working

lol; I think a lot of people in here feel that way sometimes.
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/22/2012 1:46:36 PM
If one comes here for the forums only, must meet this requirement: boring life.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Anyone else only come here for the forums?