Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kmac6
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Overseas contactsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Run Forest ..... Run !!!

The chances of anything other than chat friendships are pretty slim. I have good radar when it comes to scammers and hardley ever reply to messages from overseas.
 kmac6
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Overseas contacts
Posted: 4/29/2012 3:25:14 AM
Hate it when I mispell something. lol..
 kmac6
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Overseas contacts
Posted: 4/29/2012 3:34:43 AM
I have a couple of female friends from the forums of another site one in Florida that I keep in touch with.

I guess if they seemed genuine I would chat to them.
 WD1094
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Overseas contacts are scams
Posted: 4/29/2012 5:28:20 AM
Most likely she will ask you for some money to help pay for the flight to come visit you and then you will never see her again.

Also consider the risk of not being attracted in person. Just look at all the local dates gone wrong. Most people do not look like their photo's for a number of reasons some of which are technical.

If she looks too good to be true then that is generally the case.. DON"T send money.
 runningout
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Overseas contacts
Posted: 4/29/2012 5:41:51 AM
There is no guarantee that if you start speaking with someone local OP, that it is not a scam of some sort be it for money or just playing games. Try to get out of the habit of "visual attraction" from users on here as there are tons and I mean tons of forum posts about people being "visually attracted" to a pic and then when the date showed up, they didnt recognize them in person.

I say nothing wrong with getting to know someone but do you really want a LDR? If it does truly bother, why not set a mail filter so people can't email you past a certain distance?
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 18
Overseas contacts
Posted: 4/29/2012 7:22:26 AM

Just a quickie... what is the deal with getting interest from members overseas? Should I be especially cautious or just go with the flo? Bottom line and cutting to the chase, I don't want to used as a way for unscrupulous members to get a passport and then vanish.. especially when contact is from a lady with which there is a visual attraction...

OP _ if you don't wanna be used.... then don't be...

hint: if a woman likes you or has real interest in you - the only thing she'll ever ask you for is your time and attention.... nothing else...
 moraima
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Overseas contacts
Posted: 4/29/2012 9:08:03 AM
Overseas, or across the border from another country? Over the years, I have been contacted by several men from the USA. Had a man from Texas want to ride his motorcycle from Texas to Ontario to meet. When I message with men from USA, I find out that they have no idea what immigration to Canada would require. As I have no interest in LDR/penpals, I don't even bother to message back to forth anymore. I won't be sponsering anyone from another country.
 windchymes
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Overseas contacts
Posted: 4/29/2012 12:22:04 PM
Of course you're visually attracted, scammers tend to post photos of supermodels to suck you in. Keep your wits about you.......why would a smokin' hot chick who can afford jet-setting lives in Brazil and the UK be looking for a dude in here??? It's only time before she finds herself in some kind of a pickle and writes to you for money to help her bail herself out.
 moraima
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Overseas contacts
Posted: 4/29/2012 2:11:36 PM
" its about being taken for an emotional ride"

What emotional ride! Who gives their emotions to someone they have never met! Think you need to think about why you want to get emotional about someone you have never met and may never meet.

``when your not used to having compliments thrown your way, it can not only be a pleasant surprise but you can also find yourself asking if there is a ulterior motive. ``

Compliments over the internet from people we have never met are nothing but throw away remarks.

Every time I am contacted by someone from another country, I think to myself............what they ran out of people in their own country to contact.
 neck romancer
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Overseas contacts
Posted: 4/29/2012 7:12:18 PM
you do know ppl pay good money for green cards right? Just sayin.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >