Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do men over 50 really want the same?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rob3444
Msg: 51
Do men over 50 really want the same?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
[Let me just say I havent known a man I couldnt pop his teeth out.]
So you are the toughest guy around. Really cool on a forum.

You could go on all day about the umpteen examples that prove your point. I have not noticed that most men in thier 50's are pigs but I will agree with you that all the men your dad knows and all the firemen lol and all your examples are so funny. Please tell us more it's all based on your Daddy issues.

Whats with all the elders stuff? Who cares. this is about how naive you are. More Daddy issues?
I'm really into boxing and always was and don't ever remember popping any ones teeth in.

Could you give us a ball park as to how many people's teeth you have popped in?

"haven't known a man whose teeth I couldn't pop in." That's so funny and shows what a clown you are.
 tuxqueot
Msg: 52
Do men over 50 really want the same?
Posted: 5/1/2012 9:12:27 AM
Look at history.

Men have almost ALWAYS been matched up with women younger than they are. In fact there was a time when a man couldn't even think about marriage until he finished his journeyman phase of his training and had himself established in his trade (age 30 minimum). And then he was often married to a girl barely into puberty (15-16 years old sometimes).

This is actually biological. A woman can bear children reliably up to about 35. With severe risk up to 40 or 45. But a man can father children much much older than that.

Some men feel that they need to be older than their woman. Makes them feel more manly, more in control. Again, this is actually biological. It is in the way men are hardwired. So yeah, expect alot of men to be looking for a woman a few years, or even alot of years younger than they are.

that being said, my wife of 18 years is about a year older than I am. And the lady I am dating now is almost 2 years older than I am. So some men like em about the same age, even a little older. But even I would have trouble connecting with a woman more than 5 years older than me, maybe 10 years at the absolute most. Not saying it couldn't happen, just would not be easy.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2012 1:08:45 PM
tuxqueot;

In fact there was a time when a man couldn't even think about marriage until he finished his journeyman phase of his training and had himself established in his trade (age 30 minimum).

That was a minutia of any society. Average age of first marriages for men and women in western societies has never been higher than today....close to 30. Most people, males and females, use to marry in their late teens or early 20's until recent times.
 willowgrrl
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/1/2012 2:08:09 PM
I have grown weary of the high school graduate crowd who damand sex within seconds of talking! The latest was a man whose massive massive gut, hung down to his knees! He claimed he was 40 yet was at least 60. Hurl.
 Mr_Celibate
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/1/2012 2:30:26 PM
To all the women over fifty,
Where were you when I was twenty-five?
I said hello, you left me to rot,
And now, I will not tie the knot.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2012 2:34:03 PM

I have grown weary of the high school graduate crowd...

You prefer those who never finished high school?
 smilingrock
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/1/2012 2:44:08 PM

I have grown weary of the high school graduate crowd who damand sex within seconds of talking! The latest was a man whose massive massive gut, hung down to his knees! He claimed he was 40 yet was at least 60. Hurl.

LMAO looked at your profile and you say you get about 50 calls a day like that. Hey girl dont give them the phone number and look at their profiles first, double DUH on this one.
 WD1094
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2012 2:50:58 PM
For men selecting a mate is primarily based on physical attraction, not what you have in common. Age does not matter if they are attracted. You could be older and it wouldn't matter but generally youth translates to physical attraction. You are not having luck with some men because of this ... to prove it simply send messages to men you don't find attractive.. and you will see most will reply with interest since they find you attractive.

One thing you can control to attract men is longer hair. Down to the shoulder or at the very least the chin line. This is something you can control. This will attract a few more men.

Of course for long term happiness you need intellectual and personal compatibility and since you are a high school graduate some educated men will unfairly judge you as being intellectually incompatible quickly. Education does not determine intellect but it is a pretty good guideline. So if you messaging educated, successful men many will look to see what your level of education is. If they find you attractive they will get to know you to see if that is the case. If they are not attracted they will not bother.
 OyVay...
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/1/2012 3:23:18 PM
Well OP, since you are new to dating sites, let me share my view of the skinny on them.

There is just about every kind of man or woman on here. The smart, the stupid, the tall, the short, the heavy, the skinny, the religious, the irreligious, the happy, the angry, the sad, the joyful to name but a few.

The one thing they all have in common, as will you, is few approach dating the exact same way. Some are reasonable, some are deluded, and as such there is no unique answer to your question.

I myself date down 8, and up 6 years, not a hard and fast rule, more of a guideline. My experience has taught me, this works best for me. I have had first contacts from a 67 and 69 year old, I have also had contacts from a 29 and 2 35 year olds. Matter of fact, considering I have been here on and off for almost 4 years, dated more than 60 women. I can reasonably state, I have been contacted by almost every age from 29 to 70!

"I don't get it!"

Nor will you ever get it! Why do men over 50 want 30-40 year olds? Your guess is as good as mine, to relive their younger days, for sex, because they find them more attractive, because they want kids or worse MORE kids.

I could flip the script on you, and ask why 50 year old women want guys 1 year older than themselves but will go down 20 years "because people tell me how young I look", or sex, or they believe they are more active...whatever the reasons are.

We can delve into the number of women who complain every guy over 40 has ED. Or that many assert they are broke or homeless, or just plain crazy.

"we don't seem to connect"

Ahhh...there it is!

This is merely a shopping mall of sorts..you get to peek in the window and apply for a job as a potential dater of that particular vendor. Then unfortunately it is up to said vendor to assess you against what he prefers or is looking for. There is no limit to the number of lame excuses for not dating you, any more than there is for the same thing happening to men.

If you read the forums, I think you will see a vast number of smart, attractive, interesting men and women. You may note some of us have been here for several years. I doubt this is out of choice. If you consistently read their posts, you will see many of them as reasonable. Some have given up on dating from here and only post now.

"BUT"....every once and a while, we see someone have success. They meet that special someone, and either stay and post or leave and live. All you can do is control your own actions. Write a few people, date a few and see what happens. Please don't worry or concern yourself with those that frustrate you or fail to connect...it is a vast waste of your time and energy. Do some things IRL, enjoy the forums and most of all enjoy the dates..we only pass this way once ya know!

edit to add: oh and to give it to you from a guys perspective on what we sometimes get!
Welcome back rising mist...otterplay...willow whatever..check out that posting history.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/1/2012 4:15:15 PM
I have grown weary of the high school graduate crowd who damand sex within seconds of talking

So are men who are between the ages of 27 and 40 and over 6ft tall and not overweight more or less likely to do this than the people who do not meet the criteria you have listed on your profile?

I think all of us who graduated high school could be considered to be in the "high school graduate crowd". But I would imagine some men in thier late 20''s would feel a stronger connection to thier high school days than a man your age or older.

Willow your introductory paragraph in the about me section of your profile is one of the most negative I have read. . There may be a prize for that.

So how did all those men get your phone number anyway.

BTW you spelled pallid wrong and I think you really meant flaccid...

Pallid - 1. Having an abnormally pale or wan complexion: the pallid face of the invalid.
2. Lacking intensity of color or luminousness.
3. Lacking in radiance or vitality; dull

are you sure you have a masters degree unless this is your subtle way of looking for a man with a shiny dark penis. I do believe I knew the differnce between pallid and flaccid when I was in high school.
 edgedreality
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/1/2012 4:23:23 PM

I'm new to dating sites and am starting to question whether men over 50 really want a women over 50 or do they have unrealistic expectations of finding a 30 - 40 year old?

I haven't read any of the replies yet. And I can only write/speak for myself. I prefer a woman over 50. We would have grown up in the same era with similar values and tastes in movies, music, and everything else in between. That and, with me being over 50 myself, I find women over 50 much sexier. In their attitude, the way they dress and (almost) everything else in between. But that's me.
 smokincigars
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2012 7:36:23 PM
At any stage in life, some men prefer women near their own age, while others do not. Personally, I like to be with women who are reasonably close to my own age, because we have life experiences in common; but I also want a woman who thinks, feels and acts youthful -- not trying to be younger than she actually is, but with the attitude that getting older does not have to mean getting OLD. A woman around my age (I'm 62) or even older who still harbors an "inner teenager from the 60s" is ideal for me; but if forced to choose between a woman near my age who has "gotten old" inside and a woman a few years younger who thinks, feels and acts "young". I will choose the younger woman every time.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/1/2012 8:12:55 PM
I am looking for around my age.
I've dated older and younger.
and find women in their 50s to be quite attractive.
Not all.
just those who try to stay healthy.
as I do.
 mcrider1986
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 9:04:34 AM
I am having the same thing happen to me. Those that view my profile are pushing 60 plus. And those in the 50 -60 year old range have let themselves go, way over weight not even close to height and weight proportional, and look like 100 miles of bad road. I do prefer to date someone my age give or take 2 or 3 years. I take care of my self psychically and mentally and would like to meet someone who does the same.
 Catalinadancer
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/4/2012 9:24:57 AM
Personally I like my hair short and still think I look femine. Just saying!
 Capn_America
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/4/2012 9:31:32 AM

My dad talks to me a lot about the women he's interested in and he is 57 this year. I know that he looks for women in is age range, he says "yes, there is and age limit for me." So I guess there are men out there that don't just chase women 20 years their junior, just have to be patient!

It's a hidden message there, he wants you to hunt for him and play matchmakers. Dad's are very much in love with their daughters since birth, so I'm sure he'd get a kick out of you presenting to him 55 year old collegue from work or something lol ;-)
 cariboolady1
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:03:10 AM

This is archaic thinking. In modern times, women do not need an older, financially secure man to look after them. They can look after themselves and do. As well, women in their 40's are now, due to modern science, having healthy babies, and people are living far longer than they used to, so will be around, and be healthy, to raise these children. Things are very different now than they were before. Assuming that mating is going to be the way it was in the past is using thinking that no longer applies. As well, statistics show that in the US and around the world, about 90% of couples who marry are within 5 years of age of each other. The statistics are there to prove that. Few women are marrying men 20 or 30 or even 10 or 15 years older. That is PROVEN by statistics in countries all over the world, including Asia and the Middle East.

Actually it's not archaic thinking. It has scientific basis and 100 thousand years of evolution doesn't change by one generation of social engineering. It's stamped in our DNA through survival...what worked the best so that we evolved as we are today and can have the ability to sustain our race.
But anyways, in this miniscule time period of "plenty" (all relative when you think how old humanity is) women are more relaxed and able to be self-sufficient. Could change in a minute, a year, 10 years or a thousand years. If all technology, modern science and society was wiped out by something catastophic (asteroid) we'd all go back to what kept us alive for thousands of years. Earth has a history of these catastrophes on a regular basis.
Probably the strongest will have to hunt the big mammoth and the weaker will look after the home fires. The larger and stronger will protect/provide for the smaller ones including women who have babies to watch. The older women with grown children will have to be smart, cunning, sexual and useful if their partner is lost and they try to find a new provider/protector. Or they will die. Seems life doesn't change, does it? :)
It would be nice to be more broad-minded and realize that some drives within our DNA structures are stronger in some people and weaker in others. Or...the drive is tamped down and current "cultural thinking" is tried out.

There is NEVER a "wrong, old-fashioned, archaic, 50's way of thinking. That description only came from supposed forward thinking ideas when feminism gained a new strength in these times. I would venture to say that feminism ebbs and flows during times of plenty and times of famine/hardship. Throughout the ages there have been times when females were very strong and self-sufficent. It's not a new thing.
Anthropology is very fascinating.

Yes, men in their 50's are attracted physically to the "womanly ideal"...be it women in their twenties, thirties, forties, fifties and sixties. It's the way they look. Physically fit and healthy. Mentally healthy and happy women smile alot and can easily engage a man with direct/indirect looks and body language. Visual is first impact with most men...always has been. Just remember a woman's strength is not like a man's strength. We are equally strong, we just do it differently.
That is attractive to a man at any age....even at 85.
 Rob3444
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:10:40 AM
I'm 54 and am attracted to a certain type of woman. (doesn't make me a pig, and I know a lot of older guys that really don't want what I want, maybe they are chickens?)

I like loud hard rock, attractive (hot?) women, very horny women. Women that also like contemporary social media like 4chan, Youtube and those I can be political incorrect around just because it's funny. Women that don't talk a lot about pie crusts, Women that will go into protests with me. Women that love dark movies like Lars von Tier type stuff.

I like to pull all nighters, jump in a lake, naked, use the "C" word if necessary. Can I get that in a 54 year old package? If so fine, but the odds are slim. Can I get that with women 15 years or more my junior sure if I'm not desperate and can wait.

Sixty nine year olds are a dime a dozen and have a cool sounding age but I don't like doilies all over the place.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 3:44:06 PM
Rob3444

Right on the mark.

It's not about age but wanting to date a woman who still sees herself as a hot babe first and not as a grandma. At 9pm I don't want to hear 'it's late and I have to get up in the morning' but rather 'sure, let's go jump naked in the lake' .
 platypus_man
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 7:40:51 PM

Personally I like my hair short and still think I look femine. Just saying!
G
Great! Glad you like the way you look! Just be aware that in any given group of guys, 9 out of 10 prefer a woman with long, sexy hair. You will have lots of your female (and possibly married male) friends that will tell you what you want to hear, that you're short hair is cute, sassy, sexy, etc.. None of that matters. What matters is what the men you are trying to attract, think. Unless of course you're trying to attract women who like other short haired women.

I think one of the oddest things is that at some point, women start trying to look like their grandmothers (because they want to 'act their age'), and think that is still sexy to men. They cut their hair real short, and wear stuff no younger women would even think of wearing. Then they expect men to line up and love it. I don't know a lot of guys (wait, no, come to think of it, I don't know any) who are attracted to women with short, 'sassy' hairstyles. Women promote that idea because it's politically correct to do so, and, of course, because they want to believe it's true.
Life doesn't work that way, sorry. Men are wired to be attracted to young females; that's why there's such a huge cosmetics and clothing industry which are designed to make women look younger than they actually are. Sure, you can ignore that; but it won't change the world. Men go after young appearing women because that's what we're attracted to. Of course, we 'like' older women just fine. We even enjoy spending time with active interesting women our own age as we get older.....as friends. But romance? That's only going to happen if there's something about you that causes us to feel sexual attraction. And wearing grandma type outfits isn't going to do it, until we're in our 80's.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/4/2012 7:54:24 PM

be aware that in any given group of guys, 9 out of 10 prefer a woman with long, sexy hair

I don't recall men thinking that Jamie Lee Curtis ( in her prime ) or Haley Berry were not sexually appealing based on thier short sassy haircuts. I do believe Meg Ryan, Sharron Stone and even Jennifer Aniston pulled off the short hair look fairly successfully.

Some women can wear it and some can't. Many women just simply do not have hair that is healthy or thick enough to wear it long especially as they age and some women's faces just do not suit long hair and this become more common with age.
 Allan Anger
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/4/2012 8:09:43 PM
yes, i love woman over 50.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 8:27:33 PM

I think one of the oddest things is that at some point, women start trying to look like their grandmothers (because they want to 'act their age'), and think that is still sexy to men. They cut their hair real short, and wear stuff no younger women would even think of wearing

I had a girlfriend once with gorgeous long flowing hair. She cut it short and 'ugh'. Her excuse was summer was coming and it was 'more manageable and less fuss'. That was it for me. I want a woman who has a first priority in life is to look hot and sexy.

Yup, there are gals who look fine in short hair but they have to be cute, young and perky. Even then they are way sexier if they just tie their hair up and wear it long to bed. back where i come from a lot of women of all ages have long braids and wrap them up....don't see it much in North America.
 meowkatt2012
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/5/2012 12:33:16 AM
I cannot believe u men talking so bad about women over 50. Like we sit home knitting all night. That's why I date younger men. They appreciate me as a person more. They aren't trying to recapture their youth by trying to date arm candy so othetr ppl will think he still has it.
 russell5417
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/5/2012 1:13:05 AM
I feel most comfortable with a woman close to my age. There are a LOT of women over fifty that are VERY attractive!

You are a great example of that!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do men over 50 really want the same?