Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do men over 50 really want the same?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 76
Do men over 50 really want the same?Page 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I'm 42, and have women in their 20's approach me thinking I'm in my 20's. It generally only takes minutes for me to lose interest after hearing some of the shit that comes out of their pieholes. So, with that said, I prefer my age or older.
 platypus_man
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Do men over 50 really want the same?
Posted: 5/5/2012 3:29:23 AM

I don't recall men thinking that Jamie Lee Curtis ( in her prime ) or Haley Berry were not sexually appealing based on thier short sassy haircuts. I do believe Meg Ryan, Sharron Stone and even Jennifer Aniston pulled off the short hair look fairly successfully.

This argument goes on all the time. Sure, if you have a smokin' hot body, there will still be guys interested. But very simply, if you want to know what guys like to look at, look at what we pay to look at. Go to any dancer bar, or pick up any men's magazine; >90% of the women will have long, beautiful hair.

but tell me, what are YOU bringing to the table, guys? No grey hair, no middle age spread, no sensible clothes? Yeah, right.

Men and women have different priorities growing up; men are primarily interested in a woman's appearance, because that's what gets us sexually aroused. After all, if there's nothing physical going on, why date? Most of us have much more in common with other men, and usually prefer to spend our spare time in sporting pursuits rather than what most women like to do (how many guys really like to go shopping, not including the gay ones?). Women are more interested in a guy's social status, finances, and assets (Men don't care at all what a woman makes, what she owns, or what she does for a living, or if she's one step above being an illegal immigrant as long as she's 'hot' to us). Women care very much about those things. Yet, as we get older, women seem to think that all changes; that men somehow now want in women, what women want in men. But in most cases that's not true. I can't tell you how many times I overhear women lament, ' Gee, I have a nice car, a house, and a good job. Why isn't he interested?'. Simple. We're not looking for a husband. You are. Men date women we're physically attracted to. Lots of women, on the other hand, will date a guy who looks like a toad if he has the right job, social position, and assets. Most men will not. Best example? Hugh Hefner and other guys like that. You don't often see a woman in her 80's surrounded by lots of young, hot guys. But you see the reverse all the time. Men and women are different. It may not be fair, but we have to live with the hands we're dealt.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 78
Posted: 5/5/2012 3:50:11 AM
While I DO find it quite comical that your average 55 year old "Bob the Plumber" type seems to think he deserves a hot 20 or 30-something, I too, wonder - what's HE bringing to the table?

Hell, I'm 53 and don't find balding, grey-haired, out of shape men in their 50's attractive but that's what 95% of the men in my age group look like. I don't want to date someone who looks like my father.
 smilingrock
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/5/2012 4:24:56 AM
THIS will be Thelma Steven’s first Christmas as a sexy chick after she splurged £4,000 on surgery to banish her hated “turkey neck”.

Thelma was sick of being compared to everyone’s favourite festive bird.

Now after jetting to Cyprus for a neck and facelift, she’s planning her best Christmas ever.

Thelma, 50, says: “I always hated Christmas and dreaded anyone cracking a joke about me looking like the turkey.

“This year there will only be one wrinkly bird in the house at Christmas — and it won’t be me.

“I’ve bought a sexy dress and I can’t wait to show off the new me.”

Divorced grandmother Thelma had been happy with her looks until she hit her 40s and things started heading south.

She says: “I tried face cream after face cream but nothing worked.”

As her face sagged so did her confidence. She says: “I was sure people were looking at my neck, so I wore scarves to hide it.”

Desperate to banish her “bird’s wattle”, Thelma started a facelift fund, saving spare cash in a pot to pay for the op.

Six years without a sniff of romance passed before Thelma, of Romsey, Hants, plucked up the courage to see a surgeon in the UK. She says: “When he told me it would cost £6,000 I thought I’d have to live with my neck for ever.”

But a few months later when kitchen designer Thelma had a picture taken for her work website, she was so horrified with the way she looked she knew she had to act.
 smilingrock
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/5/2012 6:18:20 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yes and you post with no pic too. LMAO
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/5/2012 6:25:00 AM
In any case, my position is the same as this:

... don't find ......out of shape men ....attractive but that's what 95% of the men in my age group look like. .... I don't care about the color or lack of the hair on his head, but I do care just as much as he does about being fit and healthy

Fit and healthy people do not usually have average bodies. And yet you have no picture and describe your body type as average. Are you being understated about your appearance or do you have an average body for a 60 yr old woman and expect to attract a 60 yr old man with a body that is far better than average.

Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/5/2012 7:48:33 AM
I think fit and healthy people do indeed have average bodies, to me, that would be what fit and healthy means: what a body should be

That is a very intersting take on the word average since your perception is that 95% of the men your age are out of shape. With the same line of reasoning maybe I could say that an average woman body is like that of Marylin Munroe's in her prime because that is what I would like them to look like even though 95% or more of the female population does not look like that.

average means what the medical profession says is average. Healthy, height and weight proportionate

I don't think you will find too many physicans who would call the average 60 yr old american healthy. On average the average american population is overweight and unhealthy but they are of average health and body type.

I have no problem with the term average but if you think that 95% of men your age are out of shape and unhealthy then you are saying that average is out of shape and unhealthy. I personally feel that average means out of shape and unhealthy because that is what the average person is so I think we actually do have a similar perception on what average is.
 nononsense11
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/5/2012 7:56:27 AM
I think that a man wants to find a woman that he is compatable with. For me, I am more comfortable with women closer to my own age because we have much more in common more often than not. As far as the physical relationship goes, women of my own age or within a five year window or so are wonderful lovers, they are confident in themselves and are confident in their own ability to enjoy and share rewarding intimate moments. No bath tub in the yard for me ;-)
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/5/2012 12:23:25 PM
BMI calculations do not take into account type of weight a person is carrying. At 210 and 5ft 10 in I am obese by BMI calculation but I have a lower body fat content than many men who are my height and 160 lbs. I would imagine a woman the average american woman would typically have significantly higher body fat content than the average american male by virtue of her proportionally lower muscle and bone mass.

Overweight is about your body fat content in terms of % of your weight and not about just height and weight.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2012 2:23:33 PM
95% of men in 50's out of shape? Not really. I'd lower the figure to 75% or so. A lot of my hikling and running partners are quite active. Perhaps level of fitness is more of a regional and cultural thing than a statement that crosses wide demographics.

When my girlfriend and I met on Match.com her numero uno criteria was that a guy be athletic. She's a fit, active woman and wanted the same in a partner. We guys have it relatively easy...women want us to be fit, hygenic and respectful...all variables we have control over. I'm an average looking guy but my gal says that I could be a two out of ten on the handsome scale and it doesn't matter to her as long as she can't find any fat to pinch on my stomach.
 Rob3444
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/5/2012 2:50:14 PM

I cannot believe u men talking so bad about women over 50. Like we sit home knitting all night. That's why I date younger men. They appreciate me as a person more. They aren't trying to recapture their youth by trying to date arm candy so othetr ppl will think he still has it.

Self proclaimed hypocrisy! LOL
-----------------------------------
Now Jersey Girl you seem to want someone 5 years younger but only 2 years older, why? because you can, right?
you're smoking hot and more power to you!
-------------------------------------------
The long/short hair demand is just plain moronic.
----------------------------------------------
I did not want to hurt anyone's feelings with my post, it was "mostly" tongue in cheek. It's more about my way of life, am I just current or immature? Don't really know myself. Please don't lump me in with anyone that would make disparaging remarks about a persons appearance, at any age.
---------------------------------------------
As for what us old guys bring to the table: I bring a gut that can go right "on" the table, now that's dead sexy.
 Rob3444
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/6/2012 3:43:25 PM
There is one thing about this thread that I find a bit amusing and that is as to how people feel entitled to actually tell another person who to go out with.
I can say that if there are cougars out there my age that only date young buff guys, more power to them!
If for instance I only want to date 25 year old girls, but not just one but two at once why would that bother a random woman, that doesn't even know me?
 Peche12
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/11/2012 7:16:49 PM
For the guys looking for that younger babe, I chalk it up to midlife crisis. Let me share an experience I had. A friend talked me into going to a POF party at a club. There were several middle-aged attractive women there. A guy standing next to me at the bar made some comment about all the matronly women there who held no intester for him. I listened politely as he describe his dilemna. He was 49, overweight, had the balding comb over thing going, was a high school teacher, and had full custody of a 15-year-old who had been in a heap of trouble. But this guy was honestly convinced that somewhere out there was the twenty-something hottie he just knew was looking for him. And with all he had to offer! I can't believe they aren't knocking his door down!
 shy2anne
Msg: 89
Posted: 6/11/2012 8:14:16 PM
op, i have to say that i agree - and i find it's not just on dating sites but in real life too.
i have this romantic notion concerning an older couple (in their 70's) that i know that married late in life and are so happy together. they have respect for each other, their own interests as well as shared interests. they are active, loving towards each other.
yet i find that most men my age (50's) are interested in 20 or 30 year old women.
it's just the way it is.
i am in shape, don't take any medications, am smart and active - don't have any ailments lol
i'm taking this dating site stuff as a learning experience and have fun with it.
i do have hopes of finding someone to share the good times and not so good times with..but i'm betting that will come through "real life".
there must be some men on the planet for you and i that are interested in someone sexy and kind and with life experience in their own age range.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 90
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:14:12 PM
I'm only 45 but I can tell you that meeting a woman my age is very hard and I dont expect it to get easier. For what ever the reason is. It's always easier to start a conversation with someone who is younger. They are more open while older women it's easier to pull teeth then have conversation. They come across very unintresting to talk to anyone. It feels as if guys there age are not good enough as if they are looking for something real speicle. I go to alot of meet up hikes and other get toghers.. Im not the only man who thinks and feels like it. If a woman wants to meet guys her age then she needs to make it easier for us to talk to you or god forbid you actualy start talking to a guy and show some real intrest in him... Thats what younger women do. Thats what you used to do when you were younger, More open to meet people With alot less expectation from the guys...
 damassteel
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:03:27 PM
Hell, I'm 53 and don't find balding, grey-haired, out of shape men in their 50's attractive but that's what 95% of the men in my age group look like. I don't want to date someone who looks like my father.

You won't be dating anyone who looks like your dad if you don't wish to because you don't need to. You are very attractive, with a youthful appearance; hence you have options. I am in that 5% set outside the one you mentioned. I too have options and don't wish to date women my age who look like my mom; and a lot of them do.
I'm happy to consider dating the ones that have taken good care and have been aided by favorable genetics.
It does not seem at all out of place for a man 50+ to date women 15-20 years his junior, IF he still can project virile masculine energy. It only looks weird when he can no longer can and is still trying. Oh and I don't need to show any friends that "I still have it"... because I actually do still have it and they know it( not that I care really).

p.s. I think the OP's question has been adequately answered... NO, we don't all want the same.
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 92
Posted: 6/12/2012 6:35:17 AM
I like men my own age...they don't like me.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 93
Posted: 6/12/2012 6:58:44 AM

I like men my own age...they don't like me.

They are dumb.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2012 7:36:37 AM
This thread is a microcosm of a lot of male/female 'communication'.

Classic female concern: 'My guy doesn't express his feelings. I wish we could communicate better'

Her: Let's talk...tell me what you are thinking...what you 'really' feel.

Him: I like sexy vibrant women who dress up like hotties, have long hair and want to go skinny dipping at midnight on a work night. She can be older as long as first and foremost she sees herself as my sex partner rather than mom or grandma.

Her: That's not right because of blah, balh, blah....double standard...blah, blah,

Him: I thought you aked me what I feel and not what I 'should' feel.

Guys learn early in life to rarely actually express themselves when asked by their woman a question like 'what do you want in a woman', etc. Women 'think' they are asking a question but what they really need is feedback confirming what they 'want' to hear. Guys are masters at answering these questions the way we all answer questiions on a job application ...'what are they wanting me to answer?' However, on a forum like POF most of us have no reason to no reason to soften an answer unless we have some need for other posters to like us. In real life if our girlfriend gets her hair cut a bit short and asks us if we like it. We say ' Sure, it's fine' when actually thinking 'what the hell did you do that for!'. Many guys like women with long hair... and are jumped on for this preference. Right or wrong I can no more prefer a woman with short hair as as I can want a vanilla ice cream rather than chocolate.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/12/2012 7:41:03 AM

when asked by their woman a question like 'what do you want in a woman',

Isn't the answer to this question usually "my penis"?
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2012 7:47:42 AM
If dating with a relationship in mind, my preferred age range is from at most 10 years younger to a few years older. Someone would have to be extraordinarily compatible for me to venture outside that range.

If dating just for fun and social contact, I don't care about age, and will date any woman who wants to date me as long as there's something in common and mutual attraction. I've dated women from 13 years older to about 25 years younger, and they've usually approached me.
 Capn_America
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/12/2012 7:49:05 AM

be aware that in any given group of guys, 9 out of 10 prefer a woman with long, sexy hair

Just to comment this, I had hair about a week ago that was not quite shoulder lenght. Got sick and tired of the heat, and the fact that my mother kept telling me I looked like a homeless guy LOL.
So, I cropped my hair up short, and the results are, MOST of the people who told me it looked great were either men, or women over 50, and for the younger ones...most of them were like "WHAT DID YOU DO WITH YOUR BEAUTIFULL HAIR?!?"
So yeah, I'd think it's a safe statement to make lol.
 smilingrock
Msg: 98
Posted: 6/12/2012 8:16:34 AM
Watch out for that "turkey neck syndrome" it can be quite distracting during a lively conversation.
 msholiday1
Msg: 99
Posted: 6/12/2012 8:22:01 AM
If you can't find a man, I'm wondering why...... something wrong with this site and or the men are just playing around. You are gorgeous.
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 100
Posted: 6/12/2012 8:28:21 AM
These days at age 70 I am dating women 20 to 25 years younger. That feels about right to me (and them).
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do men over 50 really want the same?