Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do men over 50 really want the same?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SilverLight
Msg: 101
Do men over 50 really want the same?Page 5 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
After perusing probably at this point at least a thousand profiles on about 7 different sites, I can say I have found these to be true:

1. Most men state they are looking for younger women, and this preference gets more intense the closer to 50 a man gets. Once he hits 50 he will be looking for women in their 30's and 40's. I said MOST, not all. Some will ask for as young as 18. Yes, I've seen it! Even more men, regardless of age, will stop the desired age of the woman a few years shy of his own. This is very common. Men just feel more comfortable with younger women. Because this is so common, I think it is biological in origin.

2. Men lie about their own age. This happens ALOT. Not everyone. Again, if this happens, it's always around the age of 50. Men will hang onto the late 40's for as long as possible. I've discovered this lie a number of ways. When confronted the guy will either quickly blow off the deception as unimportant or justify it, or they get extremely irate with me for pointing it out. One guy covered the lie with another lie, claiming his identity was stolen and my people search results were inaccurate. A few days later I noticed he had changed his age on his profile to be accurate. And older.

Another guy I actually met and ended up becoming good friends with also had lied. He stated his age as younger than me at the time, 42. Turns out he was actually 10 years older than me. When I asked him about why he lied on his profile he said because women his age couldn't keep up with him.

There seems to be alot of thrashing around with men when they hit the big 5-0. Some guys really identity with people in their 20's. They don't "feel old" and want to hang onto youth by proxy.
 Capn_America
Msg: 102
Do men over 50 really want the same?
Posted: 6/12/2012 8:42:28 AM

There seems to be alot of thrashing around with men when they hit the big 5-0. Some guys really identity with people in their 20's. They don't "feel old" and want to hang onto youth by proxy.

Midlife crisis, andropause, you name it. It happens a lot. I have no idea why either, and I've noticed it with people that I meet. I think that men like that just have in their view something like "The ends justify the means". Or they want to live out what they never could, and date a women really younger.
I dunno about myself personnally. Probably. But I get uncomfortable with the thought of someone way younger than me. I want a lady with a head on her shoulder, and a beautifull face. The rest is negociable LOL. One thing is for sure, I'll never feel the need to lie about myself, for whatever reason, even if I grow old, fat, bald with no teeth. I want someone to love me and like me for ME. I have more sense than to think that even if I ever got to that point, no one would love me; because there is someone on this Earth for EVERYONE.
People should just STOP wanting Claudia Schiffers and Hugh Jackman's all the time(Yup, a lot of women do the same as well), THEN things would probably go much better....
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2012 9:16:42 AM
silverlight;

good post.

However, I would change your last line. Guys don't want to hang on to youth as much as don't define 'youth' the same as some women do. Many of us are really not attracted to a woman who extols the virtues of being mature, responsible, successful in her career, a good mother, etc. She can be all those things and that's a positive but guys want a 'girlfriend' first and not a wife, mother, etc. We want to be able to call up our 'girlfriend' at 10 pm on a Tuesday night and get a response as in 'that sounds great, i'll be ready for you' rather than 'that's nice but I have to get up early as have an important meeting at 8AM'. The hell with the meeting, sleep through it or daydream about the thought of sperm still swimming around in you.

I went through about 400 profiles on Match that me my criteria. i emailed only one woman. my girlfriend. She's a successful, responsible professional woman, a great mother, has a grandson, etc... but in her profile she presented herself as vibrant and spontaneous. She's only a year younger than me in age and neither of us assign the fun stuff in life to 'youth'.
 SilverLight
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/12/2012 10:37:06 AM
Science, good points! I can see what you mean. Things a woman may value (Yes, I do value maturity and responsibility, etc) may seem like great traits upfront, but maybe what guys are actually looking for is that free spirited "anything can happen" attitude, and of course, the idea that she puts him first, beyond her career and pets, etc.

I would prefer a guy to be my age or a few years older. Not into 70 year olds quite yet. Can't fathom the idea of a guy in this 20's or 30's. Wouldn't be able to talk about 80's rock with him! :D
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2012 11:25:58 AM
silverlight,

Yes, I'm the same. My girlfriend grew up in Denmark and I'm from from southern France. Although very different cultures we both still learned a lot of our English listening to the same Top 40 pop on Radio Luxembourg in our youth....watching the Eurovison song contests, etc. The 'little things' that a younger woman would never quite relate to. My nephew was complaining about some issue with his Ipod. I said something about he was lucky he never had an 8-track. My girlfriend and I started laughing and my nephew looked at me with that puzzled 'what?'

Some of our most fun times are simply going on Youtube and watching old clips from music groups in our younger days. I even forgive her that that her first album was Abba.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2012 11:51:31 AM
OP ... I , like so many men my age prefer to date women our age , but where are they ?..... busy with their careers, enjoying their freedom , still dating younger men or whatever

but for the OP to say this
unrealistic expectations of finding a 30 - 40 year old?

is ridiculous.... its 5 times easier to date someone 40 , than it is to date someone 52
 sddude
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2012 12:06:18 PM
We men want them forever young and hot that can cook have good sex and bring us the beer.
What is wrong with that ? GF 6 months ago was 19 I broke it off with her because she wanted babies right away she rushed it fast, wanted to move in after a month, she asked me to be her fiancee' even before being a boyfriend; there were other issues, her family wanted me to straighten her up...
well I have known her for years as the neighbor but that is beside the point.

My present GF is 24 and very headstrong, she does not cook, I do, sex? she is a maniquien no action no signs of life, and she does not bring me my beer, she drinks it all. mmm Why am I with her, ? because she is smoking hot more so than my neighbor.

True story, and kidding aside .

Even though I am way older than they we have alot in common, I surf with them, go to lakes and snorkle with them, activity partners and have alot of them, I know where good clubs are, the concerts, and other fun places, that is basically what I do , work and have fun, long term relationship is desireable witrh a fun person I seek...

Still I have gotten cheated on by young and also 50 year olds who are also very "HOT"

I have dated homebodies and professional women in their middle years even some my age, still if we have something in common it would click but most of the time there is nothing in common but talk about politics and poetry or poop and diapers if she is a single mom, the economy and maybe feelings and the philosophy of life , I can talk for hours with them while playing chess, I have other needs and special moments.

To me and other guys it is what is in common, what we like and want to be seen with, who to have looking up to us, no looking angrily at us. Older women tend to look down angrily at us/me , saying grow up and stay inside, be at eyes reachI have been doggy slapped in public by them when I embarrased them by being with me, (a Jackass moment , another story)

OK I WILL ADMIT IT , MOST MEN ARE PIGS AND WE TRY NOT TO SHOW THAT FACT, we look at magazines and have posters and see the commercials all with young lean beautiful women; our ears and noses perk up and our tongues hang out like dogs ready to eat bacon.

I actually would wish I met someone my age who did the same things, I am a bit of an adventurer , mature women are more calm and practical.

Women see younger hunks as bacon also . For some reason older guys do not see a barrier to having a LTR with a a way younger woman. I know alot of way older guys have LTR or marry a waman way younger than they , usually the guys are buff andor have money. My judo instructor is 5ft 3in amd is 60 years old he looks young handsome and buff is is about as fun as the ball tank at mcdonalds, women flock to him when he is single. He always has a young beatiful girl as his GF. I think he married one of his ex students.

Women whay do young women go for a guy like that even if he is 60 years old , same idea different answer.
 Capn_America
Msg: 108
Posted: 6/12/2012 12:12:06 PM

Of course not. They`re not even humans. They`re aliens disguised as Tyrannosaurus passing as zombie eating mutant plants from the 5th Dimension.
Men over 50 only want to have sex slaves. ALLLLLLL of them. No one is serious. No one is willing to have a 5 minute conversation with a woman. No one SEES a woman differently than a walking, talking flesh and blood f*ckbag. They`re ALL here just to screw women up and lie abotu as many things as possible before they die.
Carefull; there`s one hiding in the corner of your kitchen over there. With the George Bush mask and the chainsaw....................
 jsphn11
Msg: 109
Posted: 6/12/2012 12:32:33 PM
That topic reminds me of a joke:

“When I was in my twentieth I liked women who were 20 y.o., thin, perky and sexy. Now, 30 years later, being single again I found out that my taste hasn’t changed” :-)
 shy2anne
Msg: 110
Posted: 6/12/2012 2:30:16 PM
lilybeyaz, wish i said that.
 troallen55
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2012 4:26:10 PM
Hi.
I cannot speak for every one.I prefer women over 50.
Problem is finding the rite one with no hang ups.
Knows what they want.Dating more than 3 at a time will cause you to lose the one you wish you had stuck with.
Men want great sex communication and trust.This is just to much for most women over 50.
I will not stop till I do find the one with a heart of gold.Over 50..
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/12/2012 5:50:23 PM
MSG 118.. Most are just friendly and most of the time its what its all about. I do too being friendly most of the time and not trying to pick them up and date them. But I also dated a girl that was half my age she started with me. We keeped talking and realy had lots of fun. She was the one to ask me out.. I realy didnt expect it to be anything more cause of the age diffrence and she was a solid 8+. She had to leave the country cause of family matters. At 22 she was smart and we talked about everything and anything. I must admit that I'm friendly with everyone and talk and laugh but I dont realy try and pick up anyone. It would feel very akward if I ask anyone and they say no or if we date and then stop. Then we see each other on hikes or other meet up groups. I also go with sierra club and other smaller hiking and outdoors group. I personaly dont ask anyone out.
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 113
Posted: 6/12/2012 9:02:46 PM

I like men my own age...they don't like me.

They are dumb.

well, perhaps Mr. Pig of Your Dreams..I didn't want to man bash...LOL
 karma1160
Msg: 114
Posted: 6/12/2012 9:37:40 PM
Dont worryabout what other people want, you look nice you are articulate and seem
To have a lot going for you.
At 52 determine what you want and enjoy the process.
It could be that you are a tad bit lonely and wanting things too fast. When people first come here it is a candy store and then most come back down to earth and get real. You can't blame people for trying.
Any man that wants to try his luck in the younger pool probably
Is someone that at this age you wouldn't be interested in anyway.
 RCB111
Msg: 115
Posted: 6/12/2012 9:55:47 PM
I can't speak for others, but I know I connect well with women in my age range better than the younger girls. Although there are plenty of 30 to 40 year olds or younger out there. I have experienced a number of age appropriate women that hang on to their old hurts, and refuse to let go of past relationships. I tend to get a lot of mixed signals from women my age. I will add that my web based dating experiences have been different to say the least. I guess because of the anonymity of the internet people tend to behave in mannerisms they would not normally exhibit. That is an obstacle to finding a good connection as the initial meeting is not based on honesty. Just my two cents. Good luck my dear.
 Capn_America
Msg: 116
Posted: 6/13/2012 6:34:36 AM

(I named my hand-held shower Hugh in his honour ; )

Haha, that`s funny crap ;-)
I would name my male vibrator Drew in honor of Drew Barrymore (if I had one... :-( ) but you know, when she meets me, falls madly in love with me, marries me and has kids with me, which WILL happen, OF COURSE, then she might take offense
 Savona
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/13/2012 7:49:13 AM
I don't seem to have a problem with men at any age. Oh lucky me.
 Savona
Msg: 118
Posted: 6/13/2012 7:53:26 AM

Watch out for that "turkey neck syndrome" it can be quite distracting during a lively conversation

Watch out for the giggley jowles looks like my father syndrome, it can be quite distracting during a conversation. And I'm not kidding.
 lmhardwood108
Msg: 119
Posted: 6/13/2012 10:48:48 AM
what is it that you want that makes you so compatible with them?
 sddude
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2012 11:21:58 AM
lilybey,
That is exactly how I feel, I even date way older women because they look and act not like a mom and not like a grandma, but alot of times the attitudes come up and tear me down by saying, I am too old for that or that is for young people or " you are embarrassing me .....etc... then I stop dating them. As people age alot of hangups get accumulated in my view because that is what I see more women with time accumalate hangups , younger women just have not accumalated alot yet.

Guys want a pleasant woman not one with hangups period, women I am sur ewant the same.
 smilingrock
Msg: 121
Posted: 6/13/2012 12:33:44 PM
Or the cake makeup flaking off a wrinkled face and that bright lipstick too boot. Makes monk monasteries enticing...
 prometheus1666
Msg: 122
Posted: 6/13/2012 12:44:59 PM
Or the super hot mustache and chin beard that some women decide to go with...
 smilingrock
Msg: 123
Posted: 6/13/2012 12:53:01 PM
^^^^^^^^^^ younger women, older whiskey and money plus a little 'tang on the side...
 Walts
Msg: 124
Posted: 6/13/2012 5:37:56 PM

I don't seem to have a problem with men at any age. Oh lucky me.

Now THAT made me laugh out loud for just a little too long. I gotta go catch my breath.
 shy2anne
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/13/2012 5:48:09 PM
i'm going to offer this theory. and i know y'all might bash me for generalizing..
i think most women who are moms have the responsibility for raising the children. a lot of men don't.
so many women won't be attracted to someone their children's age.
i know i could never have a relationship with one of my son's friends! i just don't think that way. i see a 20 year old and whether or not he is good looking, i think i could have changed this kid's diapers or bandaged his booboos lol
i am NOT thinking of having a romantic relationship with him.
i don't want to feel like my partner's mother either! eww
i am wanting someone i can relate to. who has similar life experience. who knows something about pleasing a woman and can appreciate me for who i am, not just what i look like.
because like it or not, we are all getting older every day :)
many men don't think at all in those terms. they don't care if a young woman is their daughter's age or their granddaughter's age. they just see her as someone they might be able to have sex with. it's kind of creepy to me.
agree or no?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do men over 50 really want the same?