Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sociopaths      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lotustemple
Msg: 36
SociopathsPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

There's no good litmus test to detect a sociopath, because some are clearly more intelligent and more successful than others.

I disagree. They don't get nervous, regardless of how intelligent they are.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 37
Sociopaths
Posted: 5/9/2012 2:12:24 PM

Being a sociopath is not a learned behavior nor is it environmentally influenced. They are unsure what causes it, more than likely a missing link.

Im in the camp that it is environmental. They didnt attach during the first three years of life. Doesnt mean they had bad parents , just that at very important moments, where a neuron was connecting within thier brain, they did not get thier emotional need at that moment met. So the brain continues to form pathways, thinking no one can ever meet thier emotional needs and they shut that part of themselves down before they have the ability to verbalise what has happened....yes, I have researched this in depth as a loved one adopted a child who was diagnosed as a sociopath later in life. She adopted the baby when he was already 2 years od. He was loved. However, we know he was neglected before he came into her care. The child was originally diagnosed with RAD-Reactive Attachment Disorder. There is no 'cure'. It seems once the brain forms pathways where it was forced to do so with no emotional support (even if it just percieved, IE an extra senstive child who just 'needs more' than most of us do) they are hardwired forever.

So yes, I have met a real, diagnosed sociopath. Likeable, but a waste of skin.

There plenty of jerks in the world, but there are not really that many true, sociapaths. People toss the word around like they do 'player'...usually to describe someone who they didnt get what they wanted from.
 RyJFa
Msg: 38
Sociopaths
Posted: 5/10/2012 12:35:04 PM
In response to the above, there is generally a distinction made by mental health professionals between sociopathy and psychopathy. Sociopathy is typically regarded as having been more influenced by environmental factors, whereas psychopathy is caused almost exclusively by genetics. A series of twin studies was conducted several years back, looking at the relationship between heredity, criminality, and certain traits related to psychopathy and antisocial personality disorder. Generally speaking, it was found that there was a statistically significant and high correlation between twins with the sharing of certain callous-unemotional traits, regardless of environmental and parental support. Psychopaths are often neurologically deficient in some areas, with under-active amygdalas and abnormal hypothalami.

Of course, what direction a psychopath's life might take can be heavily influenced by factors apparent in their early life. Raised in a support home, one might become a crooked business or politician, rather than a serial murderer or gang-banger.

I do agree with the thoughts on sociopathy, as sociopathy often develops in relation to hostile environments conducive to and supportive of the development of antisocial personality traits.
 bwena
Msg: 39
Sociopaths
Posted: 5/10/2012 3:43:11 PM
Good point sunnyridge. Which is the true definition of a sociopath.... someone who is influenced by society create the criteria for a psychopath. Perhaps our society is creating sociopaths and that is why we run across them so often. Maybe too many people are so used to them they don't even notice there is a problem with their behavior anymore.
 RyJFa
Msg: 40
Sociopaths
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:12:47 PM
Okay. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm a stickler for technicalities - I'm just going to leave this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy#Psychopathy_vs._sociopathy

I sincerely doubt that either Lenin or Hitler were sociopaths. Both followed stringent ideological codes and were not apathetic towards those who were members of their inner circles and political movements. Perhaps Stalin would more fit the criteria, with his great purges and slaughters of close friends and advisers. Hitler and Lenin certainly had marked antisocial tendencies each, but fall short of meeting the full criteria. For example, Hitler was not always an aspiring politician - he was first an artist, rejected by the college he applied to. By all accounts, he was quite loyal and fond of several family members, and was crushed by his mother's death. It seems as if he was a genuine believer in much of what he preached, given his explicit and lifelong love of German traditions and and government.

He was still a terrible person, but it's unwise to toss labels like that around.

I'm also against portrayals of the human species as being wholly and magnificently evil. I can hardly sit through several minutes of Law and Order: SVU, so I know where you're coming from with the "Silence of the Lambs" example - but bear in mind that we've come an incredibly long ways from where we were at two-thousand years ago. I'd say Call of Duty is a step up from the Colosseum. Crime rates are also plummeting in the western world, and the twentieth century - despite two world wars and the Holocaust - has been among the least violent in all human history, when taking into account violent deaths per capita. More people died in bulk numbers, but not in relation to the overall population.

To say that consuming some level of "immoral" or "violent" media is comparable to sociopathy is borderline ridiculous. Psychopaths and sociopaths are generally hardwired to not feel empathy, by means of neurological deficiencies and social defense mechanisms. Most everyone alive, outside of those two groups, has varying levels of empathy. Walk down the street, and almost every person you pass would feel genuinely grief-stricken if the person in front of them were to be crushed by a falling pile or bricks. We cry at funerals, enjoy the company of friends, and act outwardly compassionate to strangers in need of assistance. Even white supremacists, New Black Panthers, and Mafiosi aren't necessarily sociopathic, though proportionally more members of those organizations would fit the criteria for antisocial personality disorder.

Just because members of a population are capable of blatantly directing hatred towards members of other groups does not mean that they are entirely callous and devoid of compassion, which is a prerequisite for consideration as a sociopath or psychopath. People can easily empathize with members of their own group, but not those from others.

I disagree. They don't get nervous, regardless of how intelligent they are.

This is generally true, but still doesn't make for a good litmus test. The term "mask of sanity" is often used by clinicians and laypeople to describe the facade put up by those without conscience - an individual devoid of empathy and emotion often becomes skilled at faking it. They may never appear nervous in front of you, but most folks would take them at face value when told that so-and-so was "nervous" for an exam or first date.

In fact, feigning anxiety could potentially be a great way by which to manipulate "friends" and lovers, which psychopaths are quite good at doing.

Physiologically speaking, the reactions to fear and panic inducing stimuli are stunted in psychopaths, who don't experience cortical activity in the same regions of the brain as would you or I after being shown a provocative word. But I've yet to meet somebody with a pocket PET-scanner.

Antisocial people with callous-unemotional traits and superficial charm are able to wreak the havoc that they do precisely because they're able to bypass the litmus tests we all employ when deciding whether or not to trust a stranger or friend.
 lotustemple
Msg: 41
Sociopaths
Posted: 5/11/2012 1:59:58 PM
In fact, feigning anxiety could potentially be a great way by which to manipulate "friends" and lovers, which psychopaths are quite good at doing.

I still diagree. This is how you catch them.....even if they feign anxiety, as they do most all emotions. There is much natural anxiety in the initial bonding with a new mate and the sociopath simply cannot keep up with the natural flow and will trip up by being too smooth, too cool and too confident. Unfortunately if not educated in the behavior of sociopath most won't catch this.
 ctmp2
Msg: 42
Sociopaths
Posted: 5/11/2012 10:10:37 PM
bwena

Stop reading Ann Ruel books and relax.,,,Smile

ct
 ctmp2
Msg: 43
Sociopaths
Posted: 5/11/2012 10:12:40 PM
bwena

Stop reading Ann Ruel books and relax.,,,Smile

ct
 Dork_Vader27
Msg: 44
Sociopaths
Posted: 5/12/2012 12:56:21 AM
Most people are not capable of making a diagnosis on what is a mental illness or personality disorder. Even those who practice some form of psychology can have a difficult time making a disgnosis and often times wont agree with other people in their profession.

I myself have some form of an anxiety disorder. I have seen a few different counselors and what not.. Not one has agreed with the other on the diagnosis except that i do have an anxiety disorder.

Just because a person has a few of the traits of mental illness does not mean they are mentally ill.

Most serious mental illnesses such as being a sociopath are EXTREMELY good at hiding it..
 lotustemple
Msg: 45
Sociopaths
Posted: 5/12/2012 11:50:54 AM

Most people are not capable of making a diagnosis on what is a mental illness or personality disorder. Even those who practice some form of psychology can have a difficult time making a disgnosis and often times wont agree with other people in their profession.

Do you disempower yourself as you disempower others? This thread is about spotting them in the dating arena, and are there any clues. Ok with you if we share our knowledge and experience with one another?
 BlakTieAffair
Msg: 46
Sociopaths
Posted: 8/4/2012 8:02:44 AM
That's so sad for that child to have gone through that and sad for people who have a clinical diagnosis for such a disorder. I have a disabled child and for someone to shun him for it would make my blood boil . I am not sure about the waste of skin part though the kid didn't ask to be that way.
 vestaceres
Msg: 47
Sociopaths
Posted: 8/4/2012 8:08:31 AM
I think it's unfair to blame somebody for somebody else's psychopathy. There are plenty of people who prey on unselfish, kinf, and respectful souls; those peope are trying their best to advance themselves as a disadvantage o to others. There doesn't exist a responsibility for attracting, but Mindfully dating them one after another, is.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 48
Sociopaths
Posted: 8/5/2012 3:59:21 PM
Most serious mental illnesses such as being a sociopath are EXTREMELY good at hiding it..

I don't think an undiagnosed sociopath necessarily knows (s)he is a sociopath. I think they may know they are somehow different from other people.

Perhaps they are aware that they feel no sense of remorse when they hurt someone; however, since they don't want others to know this fact, they choose not to reveal their true feelings---or lack thereof.
 Aries_328
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Sociopaths
Posted: 8/5/2012 4:13:22 PM
I'm not a psychiatrist, and I don't claim to be able to diagnose someone as a sociopath. It seems to be mostly a fancy way of calling someone a jerk. Whatever you call them, you deal with them just the same. Avoid them if possible, and if they bother you, make the consequences unpleasant enough that they won't bother you any more.

I am one of the few fortunate people to have been in a relationship with someone that was eventually diagnosed as having sociopathic tendencies. It isn't fun. You don't know and when you do get to find out getting away entierly depends on how deeply into your life they were able to get a foot into.

Calling employers to get you fired... Calling police toget you arrested.. Using credit cards you forgot existed and maxing them out... setting up accounts in your name and not paying the bills. All stuff that is illegal yet totally unable to absolutely prove who it was.

Diagnosis is a funny thing. The truth is that we all exhibit these tendencies to one degree or another. To be diagnosed with it just means that after testing has concluded the level of influence of this particular tendency is at a level with those which have been institutionalized. It's all just varying degrees. The comparison is against a non institutionalized person and those that have been. It is not an exact science and what I would find suspect about studies saying only xx percent has this classification is that discounts the associated tendencies... It only includes those that cross the line which is pretty difficult to do.

It is all very subjective. A diagnosis wouldn't occur on jerk while being a jerk... however, once that jerk commits a crime and it is found that he has done this on several occasions... that same person could then be diagnosed. Same jerk just different point of view from an observer.
 billingsmason
Msg: 50
Sociopaths
Posted: 8/5/2012 9:52:09 PM
Out on an hour long drive in the country, no one around... just cruising
great drive, great music... sunny day- ideal
a deer jumps in the road and you swerve, almost wreck.

It's easy to recall the 3-5 seconds of the close call, but the entire hour that was perfect fades.
You just want to get home and curl up on the couch under a blanket and sip some cocoa...

Don't let a few seconds pale your journey.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sociopaths