Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jo van
Msg: 6
Preferred on profile...Is it ok?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I agree with Woz on this particular subject,
It seems a kind of "flame" to say things like "no fatties" etc., and there have been many posts where people have messaged to say they've been offended by the wording of profiles.

If you're looking for a partner, it's best not to come across as "too negative" IMO.

BUT I have "No Tories", and "No God Botherers" on mine,
so to a certain extent I'm being hypocritical.
However, before I hid my profile, (and since), that didn't seem to deter either.

ControlledFolly
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Preferred on profile...Is it ok?
Posted: 5/3/2012 11:54:04 AM
I just present who i am and let those that like the sound of it come to me. I then choose who i wish to talk to and who i dont. Trouble is i like to chat and banter with everyone and that sometimes leads to connections i probably shouldnt have bothered with in the first place as they get even more offended when i say no.

I dont get offended if someone puts a preference on their profile about body type, religion, race etc, i know where i stand and i leave them alone if i dont fit in with it. I really dont understand why people take it so seriously that they get upset because they dont conform to everyones ideals.

This is more about the self image of those complaining than those that have up front profiles.
 ControlledFolly
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2012 1:05:45 PM
i agree that no fatties or whatever on a profile is shallow, and its not to my taste i can certainly see why people do. I would love a blind date concept online no pic or profile or a very basic one like A/S/L and let the connection happen without prejuduce. i guess O'megle does this up to a point and it would no doubt be massively abused but would be fun. I am sure that verification of identity etc could be done to weed out the nutters.
 *rem*
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2012 2:12:16 PM

As Black man who has a preference for dating caucasian women,you would think I would happy to see this. These days when I see it, all I can think of is "I've got to be worth a bit more than the colour of my skin". I would never state my preference to date caucasian women on my profile because its not high up on what Im looking for. There aren't enough decent people laying around for anyone to start specifying what colour or ethnicity we want them to come in. Just meeting one is a sight to behold these days.

I agree with this although i don't have a "preference" for any ethnicity. How bloody ridiculous. As i've said before, if you exclude an entire race for no other reason than their race (because you haven't met them all) then its pretty obvious that you fall into an unsavoury category of person that I don't have time for.

Only dating one ethnic group (regardless of your own) is certainly not a compliment in my view. Its just as blinkered and offensive as filtering by race.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2012 2:24:48 PM
How much difference is there (if any) between stating on your profile 'no fatties' or 'prefer slim women' - both technically say the same thing but one way sounds offensive and the other doesn't.

I wonder how many people would be offended if I had my personal restriction on my profile - I don't like thick lips or at least not the thought of kissing anyone with them. I realise that relates mainly to a specific group but there are white guys with thick lips. What a stupid thing to have as a deal breaker but kissing is important and if you don't like the way someone kisses ......

It's no big deal now since I have friends on my profile but I used to have to reject a number of emails - I didn't even bother to read them, just said a straight 'thanks but no thanks'
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2012 2:17:36 PM
@msg68

"I guess she provides a bucket for weekend sleep-overs..."

or maybe she just hands you the toilet roll and a shovel, and holds the back door open for you ? :O)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >