Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 matt e
Msg: 3
view profile
History
are you ashamed of using the internet for something that should come naturally? Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Im not sure internet dating is for the shy. You still have to meet at some point and its pretty similar to a blind date. I think that part takes nerve and a lot of people I know couldnt do it.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 6
view profile
History
are you ashamed of using the internet for something that should come naturally?
Posted: 5/4/2012 3:46:20 PM
I've never had a problem telling people that I am on PoF. I actually met my ex online in Yahoo Chat long before 'online dating sites' became the norm. Neither of us thought anything other than 'we had a lot in common' and enjoyed chatting so met up. Lasted 13 years.

The 'good old days' were easier. You went to a club/disco with your mates, danced round your handbags while the guys kept to the edges of the dancefloor eyeing the women up. Then at some stage they would ask you to dance - not by speaking, it was a tap on the shoulder. You either turned to dance with them, or turned away. Hilarious looking back but it worked. Occasionally you would give a sympathy dance so his mate danced with your mate (who she fancied the pants off) - but only once. Dance with a geek twice and you were a geek (thats in the days that a geek had nothing to do with computers) lol.

I would hate to be young now. The simplicity of meeting up has gone and more and more people resort to dating sites. Clubs are far too busy to spot someone because the next minute, they could be swallowed up in the crowd.

These days, we can meet someone, cyber with them, get married and then get divorced - all online. I wonder if actually meeting people will become a thing of the past.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:11:13 PM
I thought a stigma was something to do with having a lazy eye and an eye patch fixed it. Maybe we should all wear eye patches.
 gould1992
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 6:55:46 PM
I wouldn't say I'm ashamed but at my age there are a lot of people who seem to mock the dating site. I myself see it as a way of increasing my chances of meeting the perfect somebody. I do struggle with shyness when around new people and I've always found talking to them online beforehand has always made things a lot simpler. My last serious relationship was with a girl I met online and things went great in the beginning. Talking to someone online first seems a really nice and easy way to break the ice and see if you are compatible. It takes away a lot of the early nerves.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2012 8:10:29 AM
There`s nothing at all to BE ashamed or embaressed about any more is there, its such an accepted part of our lives now, even the guys in work know i use this place, never had any jokes or micky taking, though thats never bothered me anyway hahahaha :O)
 -Virtue-
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2012 6:35:57 PM
Ive been on here for a while, sent out a few messages, not had many replies, TBH Ive found it all a bit dissapointing, maybe my profiles not good enough? I do agree there is a bit of a stigma about online dating still though, but in my experience so far its all hype! I guess women get a lot more messages then men though...
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >