Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tuloa942
Msg: 49
Going to cinema alonePage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I go to restaurants by myself all the time. I take a book or kindle. Better then fixing food for one at home. Unfortunately, I can't do it everyday because it gets too expensive but I usually it the nicer fast food places. Panera, Chipotle, etc.
 ThatGuy1082
Msg: 50
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 5/10/2012 6:52:17 PM
I have once. I really wanted to see the last Clint Eastwood movie Gran Torina a few years ago. My work schedule wasn't in line with anyone I knew at the time and I just wanted to see the show. It was a good movie and really, nobody in the theater cared, why should I?
 Kohavah
Msg: 52
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 5/12/2012 5:46:15 PM
Of course I can go to the Cinema alone. However, being a female can get a bit complicated when I have to use the rest room. Everyone knows that females have to enter the restroom in groups of two or more. I simply wait out in the hall, explain the situation to one of the other females who is with a male companion. Then the two of us enter the restroom together being a lookout for the other in case a dangerous Transvestite or Lesbian comes lurking about. Safety first!
 NO_NO
Msg: 53
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 5/13/2012 1:36:37 PM
I think 90% of the times I went, I went alone.

I have watch lots of movies on theater, if I were to wait until someone agreed or invite me to go to see a movie, I would have missed many of which I really wanted to see.
 NO_NO
Msg: 54
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 5/13/2012 1:58:57 PM
Mysticalword wrote;

Those who are self-conscious about going alone can enter the theater after the previews have already started.
Some celebs are known to do this too.

I always try to miss the previews, unless I know it is going to be crowded, the reason being many previews are movies I like to see, and I like seeing movies without nkowing anything about it, or little as possible. If I go with someone, I excuse myself if the previews is still showing, if I go alone I usually bring my mp3 player and listen to music or play a game just to get my attention of the screen and the sound. It hard not to hear the sound, but I never had any memory of anything I accidentally heard from those previews.

I went to watch the avengers with my brother in law, and Hunger Games with my niece, I walk out on the new Spider Man Movie, and Twilight previews. My niece said the Twilight previews was really quick, so I missed a little bit of Hunger Games, she said there were some wrtinen words in the beginning, that is the only thing I missed, as far as I know.
FYI I have no idea of any of the cast in the new Spider Man movie, Hunger Games was the same, but I recognize most actors in the movie, specially the main ones. I had an idea on the Avengers since I watch the other solo movies.

BTW that is interesting piece of information, about celebrities avoiding previews, but I doubt they have the same reason as myself. :p
 chrisshrew
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/22/2014 12:31:50 PM
"You know its a double standard when it comes to going to Movies alone, if a woman goes alone or with another woman, nobody bats a eye, if a guy went alone, most would think he's a loner, loser has no friends etc, if a guy goes with another guy , most would think they are partners.

You really see two guys going to a movie alone, I remember once going to movie with my buddy, this was back in High school and both wore our Football School Jackets, so we look like Teammates going, silly eh?"

Sorry you have completely lost me on that one. Why anyone would be judgemental because it was a man and not if it was a woman is just daft. Most shouldn't care who else was watching, its the film that they have gone to see not other members of the audience.

Going to the cinema has never really struck me as a social activity anyway . You can't talk in any case and unless you go for a drink after to talk about it can you really call it a date? I do sometimes go to the cinema on my own if its a film I want to see but its not something that I feel HAS to be done with others.
 Freeformed
Msg: 56
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/22/2014 4:08:06 PM
Who cares what others think. If you want to go to the movies, then go. You wont see those people again anyway.

I've done it.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 57
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/22/2014 4:28:39 PM
^^Exactly. Going alone is probably better...you can actually watch the whole thing. It's crazy to worry about what people you don't know and never will see again think. Most of them have their own issues and don't pay that much attention to others around them, if anything.
 daynadaze
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/22/2014 6:20:11 PM
I can't imagine why going to the movies or a restaurant (or the bathroom), alone is some horrible social blunder. LOL I can't imagine caring what a bunch of strangers think of me. I do a lot of things alone, I do a lot of things with others. What difference does it make, unless you are going some place where you feel unsafe being alone. My only thing is that if it's on a family night type of thing, where taking up a table just for me is a bother, like I don't go out to eat alone during the busy dinner hours, I'll go earlier or later, but that's not because I care if some stranger thinks I'm* GASP!* alone, which I assume means you must not be desirable or some such silly thing.

I often take my granddaughter to the theater, one time about half way through the movie, I realize we were the only people in the room. That was kind of weird but the movie was entertaining and I forgot about the empty theater as quickly as I'd noticed it.

As for women going to the bathroom together, I find that kind of geeky, why do I need another woman with me in the bathroom? And I don't mean just in public, I've known women who want to go in the bathroom in pairs even in their own home. No thank you.
 chill78
Msg: 59
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/23/2014 7:55:39 PM
I have been to movies, bars, restaurants etc by myself. Sometimes my friends aren't available or interested. I don't think it is a big deal. BTW in my experience, there are usually other people alone at these places.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 60
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/24/2014 6:57:17 PM
I go most places alone - restaurants, bars, cafes, museums - that's just how my life is. Movies too.
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/24/2014 7:45:48 PM
Was there ever a time when going to the movies alone was a big question? Really? Like it was picking your nose in public or something? Like it was whether or not to bet a bunch of money on a horse or something? Really? In the 2000's? No way. Since after 1950 or something? No way.

No way.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 62
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/24/2014 8:16:47 PM
Sure, whether I was dating someone or not it would be no problemo to attend a movie solo.
In fact, I rather wish I would have seen the movie Gravity alone to further add to the sensation.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 63
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/24/2014 8:39:03 PM

I rather wish I would have seen the movie Gravity alone to further add to the sensation.

Eric - Excellent idea. Better yet - go see the 10:35am showing, no one will be in the theatre, total enhanced
sensation! :) Just you, drink, popcorn with butter, Sandra Bullock and space......a final frontier....
 DragonBits
Msg: 64
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/25/2014 5:02:23 AM
Never went to a movie alone, I doubt if I ever will. I would rather stay home and watch TV.

But in 2009 I did go to Bali alone.

When I was in my late 20s, I spent months at a time alone in different cities, ate alone in hundreds of restaurants, went to Six Flags amusement park in Tulsa alone. At the time, I usually enjoyed eating at restaurants alone, the only time it felt weird was on Valentine's Day with hearts at all the tables. This was on extended business trips as an engineer.

But I have to say, going an amusemet park alone is a crappy way to go. Not a lot of fun ridding a roller coaster by yourself.
 Walts
Msg: 65
Going to cinema alone
Posted: 2/25/2014 5:34:24 AM
I have never been fond of watching movies, alone, in a group, or whatever. Not only in a theatre but, even sitting alone at home. I have quite a few DVDs sitting unwrapped under the TV that people have given me over the years. Sitting and watching has never really been one of my "things".
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >