Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FitAtFittyFive
Msg: 21
Exercise and eatingPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Depends on your end goal. Old-school thinking was to do fasting cardio and then waiting another 30 minutes after your workout prior to eating your post-workout meal for maximum fat-"burnage." It's easy to start chewing up your muscle tissue for energy that way if you're not careful though. However, it looks like you're doing cardio and resistance training for as much as 90 minutes altogether. I'd definitely throw down a piece of fruit or similar prior to starting a marathon session like that so that you don't end up doing a face-plant when you run out of gas.
 perfectforone65
Msg: 22
Exercise and eating
Posted: 5/14/2012 3:04:30 PM
I know I am a little late on post but Specifictruths is very correct!
 nv954
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Exercise and eating
Posted: 5/15/2012 9:13:42 PM
You eat before AND after!

eat about 30 grams of carbs before excercise with some protein(10-15 grams of protein) CARBS FOR ENERGY PROTEIN KEEPS YOU FULL

after your workout
30 grams of protein and 30-45 grams of carbs.

eat 4-6 small meals a day instead of 3 huge meals(this keeps your metabolism running all day and fast)

your workout sounds good, stay dedicated!

this diet is if you want to lose weight!

if you or anyone else has questions msg me im a personal trainer and nutritionist
 Blackout478
Msg: 24
Exercise and eating
Posted: 5/19/2012 3:33:47 AM
I normally workout in the morning on a empty stomache I'm burning alot of fat instead of what I just ate. I also workout later in the day after I eat my dinner to burn off much of the calories I took in. All in all if your trying to lose weight take in less calories then your body uses. The less calories and the more working out the better weight loss you will see.
 Blackout478
Msg: 25
Exercise and eating
Posted: 5/19/2012 9:22:12 PM
Do you mix your 5 times a week routine with weight lifting or all cardio? I would think your body would be use to the same routine 5 times a week and you be kinda defeating the purpose of working out.
 eaxcriminaL
Msg: 26
Exercise and eating
Posted: 5/19/2012 10:06:15 PM

Your body is in starvation mode when you wake up, in which it takes muscle and stores it as fat.
Eat within 30 minutes of waking up to set up your metabolism for the day.

No your body is not in starvation mode. Starvation mode is when your metabolic rate declines. This doesn't happen till about 72hrs with no food.

I do IF (intermittent fasting), i don't eat breakfast, or lunch, i go workout, come home and drink a post workout shake, then i eat my food around 5pm. I eat about 3,000 calories in the evening.

Eating prevents fat oxidation, it also takes energy to digest food, energy that can be used for other things. When you eat your body slows down. This is why i eat the way i do, to relax in the evening.
 eaxcriminaL
Msg: 27
Exercise and eating
Posted: 5/19/2012 10:10:48 PM
not of fan or lyle or alan, I don't like either of them.

the eating 6x a day thing to speed up your metabolism isn't true. If you eat 2,000 calories a day it takes a certain amount of energy to digest those 2,000 calories. Eat 2,000 calories in 1 meal or 10 meals energy to digest the food is the same in both cases.

OP: it depends on your goals, weight loss, performance? Some people just can't exercise fasted, and some can't exercise with food in their stomach. In the end what really matters is total calories consumed.
 PhotoGirl870
Msg: 28
Exercise and eating
Posted: 6/27/2012 11:33:21 AM
I always eat some kind of protein and carb about 45 minutes before a workout and more protein and carbs immediately afterwards. Well, as soon as I can get home.
 BohemianLikeMe
Msg: 29
Exercise and eating
Posted: 6/27/2012 2:32:35 PM
[B]Do you eat something before or after you exercise?

I have been jogging for a couple of months now and I eat a small meal or snack about 1 hour before I jog and then after I come back I have a piece of cheese or some milk. I was reading an article today that said that it is best to exercise on an empty stomach and that you should eat after. My thoughts would be that I wouldn't have the energy to complete my workout which basically involves 1/2 hr running 1/2 hr walking then 1/2 hr legs, arms and such on a rotation.
What are your thoughts on this? What works better for you?[/B]

[I]Eating While Exercising[/I]
Existing stores of glycogen in muscles are generally sufficient in untrained individuals to provide energy for up to 1 hour of cardiovascular activity at a heart-rate 70-80% of maximum (maximum heart-rate is calculated as 220 minus age); if you have ever "hit the wall", it was likely due to depleted muscle glycogen. For this reason, beyond the point at which you would expect to "hit the wall", a simple carbohydrate (sugar) drink should be consumed, such as Gatorade. Consumption of protein prior to or during cardiovascular exercise is unnecessary.

Based on the fact that you do 0.5 hours of walking during 1.5 hours of exercise, it is unlikely you would need anything other than water or perhaps a bottle of Gatorade; consumption of a bottle of Gatorade throughout your workout will not in any way hinder your performance, as Gatorade is easily and quickly processed by the body.

[I]Eating After Exercising[/I]
Nutrient uptake is significantly improved after exercise, especially within 1 hour of exercise. Significantly increasing protein consumption is generally not necessary, even for weightlifters. A daily caloric ratio of the following should suffice for the majority of the population: 50% carbohydrates, 30% fat, and 20% protein, with variances of approximately 5% for each being acceptable (i.e. 55% carbohydrates, 25% fat, 25% protein).

A more accurate and detailed explanation of nutrient ratios can be found on page 76 of the US Department of Agriculture's Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010, found at [URL]http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf[/URL].
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Exercise and eating
Posted: 6/27/2012 3:14:45 PM
I even eat sometimes when going for my daily run...i'll eat an apple or a pear along the way. I definitely don't have to do it but i find it refreshing.

Re above: Gatorade? Forget it... and toss out the other manufactured foods. Consume real food. Have a glass of water and eat an orange.
 BohemianLikeMe
Msg: 31
Exercise and eating
Posted: 6/27/2012 4:01:16 PM
Minimizing manufactured foods is usually good advice, but not in this case. Gatorade is an excellent source of energy and electrolytes DURING exercise, especially longer bouts of exercise (2+ hours); conversely, oranges are not a good food to eat while exercising, as oranges would be digested much slower, as they contain fiber, and oranges have too much potassium and not enough sodium to replace what is lost through perspiration.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 32
Exercise and eating
Posted: 6/27/2012 4:16:25 PM

Gatorade is an excellent source of energy and electrolytes DURING exercise, especially longer bouts of exercise (2+ hours); conversely, oranges are not a good food to eat while exercising, as oranges would be digested much slower, as they contain fiber, and oranges have too much potassium and not enough sodium to replace what is lost through perspiration.

Gatorade is nothing more that pop without the fizz.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Exercise and eating
Posted: 7/3/2012 7:33:01 AM

Gatorade is an excellent source of energy and electrolytes DURING exercise, especially longer bouts of exercise (2+ hours); conversely, oranges are not a good food to eat while exercising

Baloney. Gatorade is manufactured junk with food coloring.

hint...it's simple. Eat REAL food like an orange, not chemicals pushed by the processed foods industry.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Exercise and eating
Posted: 7/3/2012 7:38:58 AM

...nd a glass of ALMOND milk after..

Almond is a good choice over dairy. One can debate the theoretical pros and cons of dairy milk but today there are so many hormones, etc. fed to the cows that cow's milk is a gamble to drink....especially for females.
 Della D
Msg: 36
Exercise and eating
Posted: 7/3/2012 11:06:24 AM
Well, generally you should not eat anything heavy right before exercising, but not on a completely empty stomach either, as the body needs energy for exercising.

Exercising in the mornings, I do have natural whole milk yoghurt with fresh fruits for breakfast and eat then again later, around lunch time once I feel hungry. Right after exercising I really do not feel like eating, so usually drink a glass of milk.

OP, thing is that I do not have any weight goals, meaning I don't try for gaining or loosing. Once there are weight goals involved with the exercise program it is a different issue, and you might want to consult with a nutritionist, especially if you only started recently with the exercise program and have not yet developed a feel for how it effects your body in terms of different nutritional needs.
 stillgothair
Msg: 37
Exercise and eating
Posted: 7/5/2012 2:15:51 PM
im a creature of habit. i have black coffee and oatmeal for breakfast. if its above 85 degrees i eat a cup of melon. then bike to the pool for a 2500 yard swim, followed by a 5k run and then a bike home. i carry water on my bike but rarely drink more than sips. between the coffee, oatmeal and melon i seem to be hydrated enough. i never feel like eating after my routine. about 2 hours later ill start eating, and will eat throughout the day at work in the evenings. i dont pay attention to "sports marketing" and i usually give the personal trainer types a "wink and a nod" when they offer there expertise about diet and exercise. ive been around long enough to know what works for me
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >