Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you have a date with a man who was a sniper in Iraq?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 starofgaia
Msg: 26
would you have a date with a man who was a sniper in Iraq?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I married a man(obviously, we're not married anymore) who was a South African Border War vet. I didn't understand the extent of violence and pain in which he experienced and he caused for others until he became drunk and revealed his horrible experiences. War destroys the people who are ordered to fight - soldiers are always the proxy bull-proof vets for the people who sit in executive cheers. It isn't sexy or wonderful; and being connected can be challenging. But, vets deserve love and care. It's a damned shame our country has taken better care of vets!

In your situation, I would not have seen him, again, either, if I got a bad feeling about it - so you're absolutely right. There is no way to tell on the first meet whether or not somebody was in the military or not. Some people weild guns because they're just paranoid. Others returning home are really frightened.
 starofgaia
Msg: 27
would you have a date with a man who was a sniper in Iraq?
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:51:28 AM

sorry but hes lieing. no sniper who was in iraq would have to carry a gun with him in public. you did right thing not to see him again. if he was in iraq he may have seen some things but to be honest i highly doubt he was ever there

I'm inclined to agree with you.
 Paderic
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:07:01 AM
I don't see how anyone can speak to the veracity of this man based only on the OP's account. He may be a liar, he may not be.

If he is indeed a police officer, he is required to carry whether he is in his jurisdiction or not. It would have nothing to do with him being a veteran.
 leagueofextraordinarymen
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:19:38 AM
Police Officers are not in the habit of letting people know that they are carrying or not, especially on a date....I'm not sure why he would tell you this....no police officer would carry a gun in a bag for many reasons..it would be on his person...god forbid if he ever forgot his bag somewhere....
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:22:05 AM
If he is indeed a police officer, he is required to carry whether he is in his jurisdiction or not.

You make this sound like a given. It is simply not true.

The Detroit Police Department has ended its decades-old policy that required officers to carry their department-issued weapons at all times.

Off-duty officers now have the option of leaving their guns at home when they're off duty. Previously, cops were exempt from the policy only when they were in church, on vacation or attending a sporting event.

http://www.policeone.com/news/91539-detroit-p-d-changes-gun-policy-off-duty-officers-not-required-to-carry-weapons

All sworn members of the Department shall be suitably armed at all times when on-duty. Sworn members, off-duty, within the City of Baltimore, shall be suitably armed, except at such times, or under such circumstances, or when engaged in such activities as a prudent person would reasonably conclude the wearing of a firearm to be inappropriate.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2010/06/offduty_cops_with_guns_in_bars.html

A date hardly seems like the appropriate venue for a firearm, to me.
Also, note it states "wearing of a firearm." A prudent law enforcer would not tote around a gun in a "backpack" where it may be beyond his immediate physical control or present an attractive target for theft or even a child's curiosity, IMO!

The more I think about it, the shakier it sounds. I call LIAR! Good job, OP! :applause:
 Paderic
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:35:48 AM
You make this sound like a given. It is simply not true.

OK, they are strongly advised to carry. When someone travels, they presumably will be in their jurisdiction when they leave the house and when they return home. I've known a number of police officers in my lifetime, nearly every one of them had a firearm close by almost all the time.

When I carry, I use a lumbar pack. I can access it as quickly as an ankle holster. It's also easier to conceal when wearing clothing appropriate for warm weather.

It isn't unusual for someone to have a firearm in their car while they are in an environment they deem inappropriate to be armed.

It seems to be the default position of women on this site that any male that a female poster asks about is a liar.
 Infinity_G
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:39:28 AM
I am wondering why this post is improperly entitled.

It should read, "Why did this man show up on a date with a gun in a back pack?"? lol
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:46:19 AM
^^^ Yeah, you're right. He may be traumatized, if he was a vet, who knows?

I guess he's a police officer or not, but I can't imagine his department would allow him to tote a government-issued revolver around in a sack?

If he IS a cop, he's not a very careful one.

Wonder if the gun has the serial numbers filed down?

Sounds weird to me, anyway.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/7/2012 8:46:12 AM
I think the guy has a screw loose but not for the reasons you suggested. If anyone truly feels the need to protect themselves 24/7, carrying your piece in a backpack is NOT the way to do it. He is a cop?? He is a liar. I think he drives a Segway around at the mall and shakes down teenagers for stolen earrings. Barney Fife has delusions of gun-toting grandeur, which is why he also gave you the BS story about being a sniper in Iraq. Yes I am sure there are many angry pimple faces who would like a piece of him, danger danger army ranger. If I had a jerking-off icon I'd insert it here. Off-duty cops and people with concealed carry permits would not *THINK* of carrying a weapon around as you described.
 curvesweetblonde99
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/7/2012 9:02:22 AM
I could just not deal with someone whose job was to shoot and kill unsuspecting (maybe even innocent) people walking about their lives from a distance. I mean, just to visualize that is horrifying. It would take certain characteristics in a person to make them capable of doing that and I don't think those characteristics would translate very well in a relationship with me, unfortunately. But to each his/her own.
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/7/2012 9:02:32 AM

It seems to be the default position of women on this site that any male that a female poster asks about is a liar.

You'll have to get in line behind the guys who believe all women on this site that ask what you do for a living are gold diggers, etc.
 Capn_America
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/7/2012 9:09:31 AM

Guy was using the MOST powerfull projectile weapon ever devised by man and could probably shoot a pin needle at 1 km in darkness.....

Carefully when he blows his load

s don't kill people kill!! A gun never picked itself up and killed anyone..??

HA! Says the girl downstairs. But I saw this movie once........ ;-)
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/7/2012 9:21:23 AM
I dont really see what the big deal is? I can see no chemistry..but not because of the gun. Why were you afraid of the gun? Guns don't kill people kill!! A gun never picked itself up and killed anyone..??
 CountryCowgirl9
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/7/2012 9:31:26 AM
I would ask him if he wants to go to a shooting range on our next date...

but gun freaks vs. gun users are two different people...

go with your gut, no matter what else is there... generally, it will not lie..
 purfectmeow
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/7/2012 9:35:21 AM
Almost this entire sub division where I live is either active/inactive military, law enforcement, or retired.
Kinda keeps the riff raff away dontchyathink? Would I date a sniper? I would but it would bother me he was a better shot :) No one I know keeps their weapon in a back pack. Heck most of us wear it to the store.
 Pheonixmamma
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/7/2012 10:04:44 AM
You dodged a bullet.

I agree with all poster number #17 had to say......As an ex military member I will tell you that this persons behavior is absurd and NOT the norm. Also, most actively serving police officers will not devulge their profession to strangers, let alone aquaintances , just as regular freedoms of speech also become inhibited, IE Police Offices are not able to openly participate in social forums such as FB etc.
This guy was a nutbar, and I would welcome you to report his behavior (concealed weapon toting) to authorities.

I say again, NOT normal, NOT professional.
 Capn_America
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/7/2012 10:06:55 AM

Heck most of us wear it to the store

This does nto terrify me in the least. NO sir. Not at all.
I'll have to be nice and polite to EVERYONE if I ever go shopping in the States LOL.
 DomG79
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/7/2012 10:47:47 AM
I dont really see what the big deal is? I can see no chemistry..but not because of the gun. Why were you afraid of the gun? Guns don't kill people kill!! A gun never picked itself up and killed anyone..??

That's exactly right!

If there were more responsible gun owners out there, and people carried regularly, their would be less crime.

Schmette
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/7/2012 10:49:57 AM
Off-duty cops and people with concealed carry permits would not *THINK* of carrying a weapon around as you described.

Shes got it right!

If he really needed 24-hour protection, I'd think he'd carry a little 38 special or something like that in his sock or something, rather than take the time to locate the backpack, run to it, get the gun out, take off the safety, aim and fire. He could be dead by then

thats exactly what I was thinking
 tuxqueot
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/7/2012 11:03:24 AM
There is a HUGE difference between a foot soldier and a sniper.

Infantryman can see combat up close. They are prone to PTSD. You have to be aware of certain personality quirks they can develop that will stay with them, sometimes for years, even after they are done serving. It can be a hard life, but a rewarding life as those men tend to appreciate the good things even more than usual.

A sniper is chosen. A sniper is picked out of a crowd of infantrymen for 2 very important reasons. First and foremost they must be outstanding in their accuracy at any range. This is not as common as you may think. Less than 1 in 1000 of the men who can be a soldier can make a good sniper. The second quality looked for, and is even more rare than the first, is the ability to disassociate. A grunt in combat KNOWS who his enemy is, he knows who is trying to kill him and he can kill that enemy with little or no remorse. A sniper doesn't have that. A sniper knows nothing about his target other than someone higher up decided that target has to die for some reason unbeknownst to the sniper. A sniper has to be able to execute the mission with out feeling remorse for the life taken. This does not make him a bad person. In many cases it makes him stronger than other men who served because they can do what needs to be done with out letting their emotions get in the way.

When I served, I was approached to become a sniper. I could, and had killed. I was a very good shot, steady hands, extreme patience to wait for the right moment. Everything that makes a good sniper, except one. When I took a life, I knew who I was killing, I felt those people deserved to die at the time it happened. But I could not become a sniper. I could not kill someone from 1/2 mile away just because I was told that person needed to die. If I didn't know for myself who I was looking at deserved to die, I was not able to complete the mission.

whether or not to date someone just because they can, and have, taken human life is a decision you have to make for yourself. But make it an informed decision. The men who served deserve to find happiness. They deserve to find someone who they can come home to that appreciates who they are and what they did. And who wont be afraid of them because they did something in their past that needed to be done.
 Paderic
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/7/2012 11:32:10 AM
Off-duty cops and people with concealed carry permits would not *THINK* of carrying a weapon around as you described.

What she described in rather poor English is a gun in a backpack. I have a CPL, if I carry while wearing shorts and a tee shirt I use a lumbar pack. It meets the legal definition of concealed and access to it is as good as any holster. I would not have it on my person while driving, it would be located somewhere in the passenger compartment.

No surprise, lots of kneejerking going on here.

Also- not all police use revolvers issued by their departments. Many use auto loaders they purchase themselves.
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/7/2012 11:41:41 AM
^^^ An actual retired police officer mentioned he was required to use a specific holster.

MSG 16:
I'm a retired Police Sergeant.

My department required I carry off-duty, in an approved holster, and to take action, as needed, within my jurisdiction.
Now..given that, and not knowing the OP's state laws, or the fellows department regs..having a handgun in a backpack is pretty lame.

This sniper thing..why does it matter what he did, where?

My gut feeling is that someone was trying to bolster themselves for some reason...

You weren't an officer. I think I respect the input from the other source more.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/7/2012 1:42:13 PM

Also, most actively serving police officers will not devulge their profession to strangers, let alone aquaintances ,

So, what ARE they supposed to list on their profile as their "profession", and not be a liar?
 carolann0308
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2012 1:53:06 PM
I would date a man in the military.
But no, I would not date a guy that claimed to be a sniper and carried a weapon in a back pack. Any police officer I have ever met does not walk around telling stories like that. People that are military officers do not walk around claiming to have to watch their backs 24/7 in public unless they are insane.
 AtlantaGuy35909
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2012 6:08:51 AM
Not all police are required to wear a firearm off duty.

Also, someone carrying a firearm for self defense would NEVER store it in a backpack. Are you going to ask a bad guy if he will wait for you to retrieve your weapon from your backpack? That is just ludicrous.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you have a date with a man who was a sniper in Iraq?