Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The pen is mightier than the sword?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Except in some rare instances where the grammar has been absolutely appalling for a 40+ yr old woman ( and i do mean bad ! ), i never judge a womans profile on her general spelling, none of us are perfect (disregard what we`d like to think to the contrary ), but WHAT they say matters more to me, than HOW they go about it, as long as its clearly understandable ( even with miss spellings ) then i wont give it another thought, i`m HARDLY up to academic levels myself with regards to education, so it would be a bit two faced of me to judge others in that area. :O)
 Jo van
Msg: 3
The pen is mightier than the sword?
Posted: 5/7/2012 5:15:48 AM
I like words and language, and plays on words, and puns.
Like PoF meats.
Or "The penis, mightier than the sword?"

Speaking only about forum posts, it always amuses me when someone is pretending to be knowledgeable about complicated subjects, like finance, or science, but they haven't learned the difference between there, they're, and their.
It just shows me that they don't really know what they're talking about there, and they clearly haven't read all that much, or their spelling, grammar, and punctuation, would be better.
It tells you, who you're dealing with.

Having said that, we all make mistakes, and 'typos', that's a different thing.
The only time I bother pointing out mistakes, is when they (ironically) 'correct' someone else.
I think we're each responsible for only our own behaviours. (Although, you'd think that seeing the correct spelling, repeatedly, would be enough of a clue, for them to correct theirs, but that doesn't seem to happen here.)

A sword is worthless in cyberspace, you can't change people's opinions with it, nor express your own.
But with a (virtual) pen, you can reach thousands, and (maybe) change things.

But it's 'horses for courses' really. If I were fighting an actual dragon, I wouldn't choose a biro....

DAFT_DOG
Msg: 4
view profile
History
The pen is mightier than the sword?
Posted: 5/8/2012 3:10:03 AM
Mind, when all`s said and done..and with regards to which is the mightier.....i would`nt like to have a clout across the head with a sword ! :O)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >