Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Any good diets to cut tummy fat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shmodzilla
Msg: 26
Any good diets to cut tummy fat?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
All I am going to add to this is the very first thing you need to learn. The word or term " diet " Lose that thought, take a breath and now start saying
" proper diet " One works , the other might work for awhile and make you miserable in the process.
 stayfit4life
Msg: 27
Any good diets to cut tummy fat?
Posted: 5/18/2012 7:15:36 PM
If you have any questions message me, im a personal trainer and nutritionist

Really and what happens if you eat carbs after 6 PM? The fat faerie drops by? Guess you haven't seen the latest study showing that eating carbs does not cause fat gain and that subjects actually lost it.

Gee I am also a personal trainer and have studied nutrition, sports nutrition, read tons of studies on subject and say that B.S. I can also say that I ate/eat carbs at night and eat at night period and lost 20 lbs in 90 days.
 lovelikewinter
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2012 7:22:33 PM
Hey stay fit, I tried PMing you for further advice on this too but it says you are not accepting mail from someone my age.
 stayfit4life
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/18/2012 7:48:52 PM
That's funny as I tried emailing you and it said lovelikewinter is not accepting messages from someone of your age or gender LOL
 statemachine500
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/18/2012 8:43:36 PM
Too funny.

Do your cardio in the morning before eat OP.No pasta.
 lovelikewinter
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2012 10:53:40 PM
Haha yeah sorry about that. I have a lot of messages from 45+ guys asking me out. I thought about changing it so I could talk to you for a bit, but you can imagine.
 Blackout478
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/19/2012 3:38:05 AM
You can't burn fat on the tummy by doing sit ups. It just builds muscle under fat. Best thing to do is workout and the lil extra fat should burn away if only have fat on one area, then it has nowhere else to burn where the fat is. You can't pick a spot to burn your body does not know where its suppose to get the fat from.
 nancy225
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/19/2012 5:14:45 AM
Skip breakfast.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/19/2012 9:12:00 AM

Skip breakfast.

He did not ask how to add more fat, he was asking how to get rid of it.

As skipping breakfast will cause your body to store more fat.
 part deux
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2012 9:24:49 AM
The whole spot reducing thing was debunked years ago, when it was noted there was no significant difference between the dominant and non dominant arms of tennis players.
As for belly fat, it could just be your body type- some people have thicker waists than others. They also tend to have a larger chest, and more narrow hips.

Whatever your body type, good posture is important. It creates strong back muscles that hold your tummy in.
 stayfit4life
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/19/2012 12:53:19 PM

He did not ask how to add more fat, he was asking how to get rid of it.
As skipping breakfast will cause your body to store more fat.

Could you elaborate on how this happens if you are not in a caloric surplus. I don't eat breakfast, eat 1-2 meals a day and get all my macros and calories in for the day and am not gaining/storing fat. I do Intermittent fasting style of eating.
 stayfit4life
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/19/2012 4:56:37 PM
Well lets see it called life, being a single parent and not being obsessed with things. I also stopped working out for 17 years. While I stopped working out and eating more then I should have I still keep up with things.

Also physique does not dictate knowledge. Some of the most asinine answers come from those with physiques. :-)

Night time carbs has been going one for over a year.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/19/2012 5:33:46 PM

Could you elaborate on how this happens if you are not in a caloric surplus.

Be happy to.

If you are getting your 8+hrs a sleep a night you are waking up with an empty stomach and going to long before eating will start the starvation cycle and your body will store it as fat.

Basic rules of biology and how the body normally adapts to this would be for it to store a larger % of the food consumed as it would be considered a stress for most people.

How much you will gain is impossible to say as there are far to many factors at play.

I don't eat breakfast, eat 1-2 meals a day and get all my macros and calories in for the day and am not gaining/storing fat. I do Intermittent fasting style of eating.

What ever works you for you.
 statemachine500
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/19/2012 6:47:48 PM
Bodybuilders do morning cardio on an empty stomach.FFA's are low after sleeping the night.It works for them.
 allthegoodnamesrtaken1
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/20/2012 5:41:47 AM
Waking up to an empty stomach after 8 hours of sleep isn't remotely close to *starvation mode/cycle*

Starvation mode is an overused, misunderstood term. Plenty of information regarding this study, and others, under conditions conducive to true starvation. A nights sleep doesn't come close to that.

Karl Friedl, PhD, Army researcher, conducted an 8 week study on this very topic. His background - - http://www.tatrc.org/conferences/ata_2011/bios/Friedl_bio.html
Plenty of background to be found on the net, manuscripts etc on this study

Aristotle - - "........ starvation cycle and your body will store it as fat"
What do you mean by "It" ?

Message 39 as well -- "As skipping breakfast will cause your body to store more fat."

How?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/20/2012 6:28:30 AM

Plenty of background to be found on the net, manuscripts etc on this study

I looked at a few of them and the one I could find dealing with reduced calorie intake concluded that the participants lost weight but that with participants that lost more than 10%, a large portion of that weight loss can from the loss of muscle mass, which put those soldiers at a disadvantage with regards to energy levels during the day.

From the study, conclusions..

The results of this study agree with previous investigations of the influence of
calorie restriction on health and performance. Restriction of energy intake, while
providing adequate vitamins and minerals, results primarily in weight loss with some
decrease in function related to muscle strength. The level of energy expenditure at
any fixed level of energy restriction will in turn determine the severity and composition
of the weight loss. On the other hand, starvation results in a reduced intake of all
nutrients and can lead to a series of serious metabolic and functional changes. The
situation that we observed during 8-1/2 weeks of Ranger training was consistent with
restriction, but not true starvation. The primary consequences of the level of food
Intake and energy expenditure that we observed In this study were manifested as loss
of lean body mass consistent with reduced maximum lift capacity and a possible
compromise of the defense mechanisms of the immune system.

Study that I looked at: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA257437

Now that sounds to me like skipping breakfast may have a detrimental affect on your body.
 allthegoodnamesrtaken1
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/20/2012 7:22:45 AM
Karl Friedl starvation study --- Google

I'm posing 3 direct questions to you. Your post # 39. How does skipping breakfast cause fat storage?
I'm asking you to break down and explain your statement from a basic biologic standpoint.

Question #2. Your post #44. How does waking up after 8 hours of sleep, on an empty stomach, constitute *Starvation Mode? Please give us a basic biologic background on this.

Question #3. When is the human body considered in a state of starvation mode?

I'm not necessarily being argumentative......I'm asking you to stand behind your statements in Posts 39 and 44.

The conclusions snippet you shared above states "After" 8 1/2 weeks of restriction. I'm looking for something that shows skipping breakfast, as you stated, results in starvation mode.

In addition -- Your above conclusions snippet.....please read it slowly and thoroughly. It actually makes a case against what you are saying, not for it.

Again, the term starvation mode is overused and misunderstood.
 stayfit4life
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/20/2012 8:13:56 AM
First off that study is not applicable to your average person trying to lose weight so I would not go drawing any correlation or conclusions from that. Secondly and diet undertaken that has you only lowering calorie intake without doing any strength training will cause a greater muscle loss and why diets alone are not the answer and why I always include strength training. Also strength training coupled with adequate protein intake will negate muscle loss or minimize it. Also strength does not have to diminished. Even while on a low carb/calorie diet my strength levels increased. Plenty of studies out there to back this up.

Starvation mode is misused by most do to lack of fully understanding what happens. If you take a look at the famous Minnesota Starvation study http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment you will see that at no time did the body store fat. Not until body reached critical body fat level. Look at prisoners of war and tell me that the body stored fat while they were in true starvation mode. Ain't happening.

The body is in a constant state of storing and burning/oxidizing but at the end of say 24 hours it will store/keep excess calories or burn/oxidize stored calories to make up for any deficit. If you are in a deficit the body can't simply manufacture calories out of thin air. First law of thermodynamics.

To many are listening to wrong unsubstantiated information that simply keeps getting repeated.
 wildirishrosetoo
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/20/2012 8:37:10 AM
I'll tell you what I have done and it's been very successful. I simply count calories, and stop at 1700.
I keep a food journal/diary and I am very detailed about it. In a short time I have gone from 192 to 179, which is very close to my college weight from years ago. My numbers are perfect, 157 cholesterol, great BP, etc.,
My friends tell me, "Oh, counting calories is too much trouble. I don't have time for that. " But they're on statins and BP meds, etc., while I take care of things naturally.
I eat no junk whatsoever. When you start counting calories, you learn quickly that sweets and junk snacks throw the count off very quickly. I eat chicken and fish, nuts, yogurt (no dairy otherwise) and almost no meat at all. Meat maybe once a month if that. Also, I have chicken vegetable soup nearly every day, and I never tire of it.
And I exercise daily.
For many years I resisted counting calories, thinking that it was too much trouble. I'd try to cut down on food and skip meals but nothing really worked. You have to do the count. And if you do it, you'll learn what to eat and what not to eat.
I need about 100 calories per waking hour and I stick to it religiously. I've learned to calibrate it, and I can feel the energy ebbs and flows because food is just fuel.
When I look back on how I used to eat I can only shake my head in disgust.
 stayfit4life
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/20/2012 9:30:56 AM
As interesting as that sounds I don't see myself as mice. Would be interesting to see what would happen in humans.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/20/2012 5:11:01 PM

Karl Friedl starvation study --- Google

Yep they lost weight and most of it was from a loss of muscle mass as their bodies started eating themselves.

The study also does not look at average people but only deals with people that have less than 14% BF, that are not so much just skipping breakfast but are dealing with restrictive calories intake each day, so really is only applicable to them.

Below I have provided a link to a study that deal with what we are talking about.

I'm posing 3 direct questions to you. Your post # 39. How does skipping breakfast cause fat storage?
I'm asking you to break down and explain your statement from a basic biologic standpoint.

When you are sleeping your body is for the most part consuming glycogen, after 6hrs or so most people start to run out of glycogen and by skipping breakfast you now could be going 10 - 12hrs without food, if this continues for an extended period of time the body will start to store more fat to make up for the lost foods, as you are starving yourselves each day.

How long and how much a person will be affected is impossible to say as each person is going to react differently.

Question #2. Your post #44. How does waking up after 8 hours of sleep, on an empty stomach, constitute *Starvation Mode? Please give us a basic biologic background on this.

See Above.

Question #3. When is the human body considered in a state of starvation mode?

When it has run out of food, and this will be different for every person.

Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Dec;92(6):1316-25. Epub 2010 Oct 6.
Skipping breakfast: longitudinal associations with cardiometabolic risk factors in the Childhood Determinants of Adult Health Study.
Smith KJ, Gall SL, McNaughton SA, Blizzard L, Dwyer T, Venn AJ.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The long-term effects of skipping breakfast on cardiometabolic health are not well understood.

OBJECTIVE:
The objective was to examine longitudinal associations of breakfast skipping in childhood and adulthood with cardiometabolic risk factors in adulthood.

DESIGN:
In 1985, a national sample of 9-15-y-old Australian children reported whether they usually ate breakfast before school. During follow-up in 2004-2006, 2184 participants (26-36 y of age) completed a meal-frequency chart for the previous day. Skipping breakfast was defined as not eating between 0600 and 0900. Participants were classified into 4 groups: skipped breakfast in neither childhood nor adulthood (n = 1359), skipped breakfast only in childhood (n = 224), skipped breakfast only in adulthood (n = 515), and skipped breakfast in both childhood and adulthood (n = 86). Diet quality was assessed, waist circumference was measured, and blood samples were taken after a 12-h fast (n = 1730). Differences in mean waist circumference and blood glucose, insulin, and lipid concentrations were calculated by linear regression.

RESULTS:
After adjustment for age, sex, and sociodemographic and lifestyle factors, participants who skipped breakfast in both childhood and adulthood had a larger waist circumference (mean difference: 4.63 cm; 95% CI: 1.72, 7.53 cm) and higher fasting insulin (mean difference: 2.02 mU/L; 95% CI: 0.75, 3.29 mU/L), total cholesterol (mean difference: 0.40 mmol/L; 95% CI: 0.13, 0.68 mmol/L), and LDL cholesterol (mean difference: 0.40 mmol/L; 95% CI: 0.16, 0.64 mmol/L) concentrations than did those who ate breakfast at both time points. Additional adjustments for diet quality and waist circumference attenuated the associations with cardiometabolic variables, but the differences remained significant.

CONCLUSIONS:
Skipping breakfast over a long period may have detrimental effects on cardiometabolic health. Promoting the benefits of eating breakfast could be a simple and important public health message.

Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania, Tasmania, Australia. k.j.smith@utas.edu.au

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20926520
 stayfit4life
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/20/2012 6:45:04 PM
After adjustment for age, sex, and sociodemographic and lifestyle factors, participants who skipped breakfast in both childhood and adulthood had a larger waist circumference (mean difference: 4.63 cm; 95% CI: 1.72, 7.53 cm)

Seriously. Their waists got bigger cause they took in more calories then needed. The real issue with skipping breakfast is that some people will eat more calories later and this gain weight.

I don't eat breakfast, do intermittent fasting and my waist is not growing so that study is B.S. Look up studies on intermittent fasting. Also there are studies on meal frequency and body composition showing no advantage to eating more meals.
 allthegoodnamesrtaken1
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/20/2012 7:51:51 PM
In your first 3 lines you misquote two facts of the study. Slow......down......your.......reading........Aristotle

No. The weight lost was not mostly muscle mass. Muscle mass was lost "starting" in the 6th week. It took over a month for *starvation mode* to ensue.

No. The study did not "only" deal with people with less than 14% body fat. Subjects ranged from 6% to 18% BF. The
"Average" subject was 14%.

You still haven't backed up your other statements either. Hopefully you didn't feel the glycogen usage ramble was an answer.

My point here is simple. When you make a statement such as *skipping breakfast causes the body to store fat* then go on to say skipping breakfast causes starvation mode.......I might challenge those statements.

The above study you posted means absolutely nothing to me. Regardless of what it may seem, I do not dispute the benefits of eating breakfast. I do not dispute the negatives that may ensue if you don't. What I am disputing and have asked you -- is to explain and back up your statements. I also dispute your overuse and misuse of the term *Starvation Mode/Cycle*

I look for and am interested in truths. No more no less.

I submit that skipping breakfast does not throw the body into "starvation mode" as you claim. It simply is not true.
I submit that going for 10-12 hours without food does not cause the body to store that next meal as fat as you claim. There are farrrrrrrrrr too many dynamics at play for you to possibly know to make that blanket statement.
 Firebrand
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/22/2012 3:45:35 AM
I don't suggest dieting. At all.

I suggest an overhaul on your eating manner altogether. Consume a lot of protein; skip the carbs. Less than 100mg of carbs a day does wonders. No sweet stuff (softdrinks, candies, chocolates etc). Just water for drinking, nothing else.

Sure, you exercise but stomach fat is the last thing to disappear regardless of how much exercise you put in. I'd suggest targeting large muscles and working them to the point of exhaustion. Ab exercises are a joke if you're trying to burn stomach fat; stick with an intense cardio program for that.
 0ldhag
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/22/2012 10:02:02 AM
Garlic.

Eat a clove at each meal, maybe 3 cloves a day.

Reduces appitite, and cleans your blood.

+

Jog.

Also, whole foods are not expensive. Each week, I litterly live off 8 tomotoes, some broccli, green beans, onion, fruit, ocra (good fiber) and any other veggies in season. Strawberrys, melons..anything.

I never cook any food.

The key, is to not limit yourself. When I feel like a pizza, i'll go and have one, a whole one and eat it all. If I feel like chocolate, i'll buy one and eat the whole damn bar. But by the end , i'm usually so disgusted that I don't crave it for a long long time. I find 'overdueing' the foods I crave, help me to not crave them for a while.

Plus the more whole foods you introduce to your diet, the more you'll want to eat them.

One more thing, think about everything you eat during a day..and like someone else said, eliminate something.. just one thing...like I no longer use sugar in my coffee, but i'll use honey...now honey has more caleries then sugar but it's healthier...

Also, never eat the same thing all the time..change it up. For example on my salads i'd use some vinigar one day, then the next i'll use fresh lemon..sometimes i'll use olive oil, sometimes i won't...never keep using the same things though...
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Any good diets to cut tummy fat?