Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 139
50 Shades of GreyPage 5 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
so after another boss' wife got the book and got horny, and i realized that so many women i know reading the book were the ones ten years ago telling me i spent too much time with the sensual, not enough buying material goods in order to be a success (golly, now they've grown up to my level, 10 yrs late), I decided to finally grab the book.

not sure where the charge of bad writing comes in, but i'm only30 pags in or so. by pg 4 i wondered if ana has a crush on her roomie Kate, by pg 21 i wondered again (who else would you follow everywhere, why would you be accused of not liking men, not having the hots for your tall dark male friend, why would you not drink so you could let your inhibitions go), so maybe its a red herring and that's where the bad writing charge comes from.

what IS disappointing, tho,is the main character and how many people may actually relate to her. This character is so certain of her failure in life, she doesn't bother to try succeeding. she has to interview a famous person, yet never considered googling him so as to not look stupid in front of him (and while blaming herself initially, eventually decides to blame others for her own lack of oversite). she has time to look over the interview questions so she won't look like a fool...and doesn't respect herself enough to do that little work, so she can avoid looking like a fool.

its like she fails her way thru the day, trying to be no more than 75% dumb. she'll be the woman who at middle age, says, "my life sucks, I don't know how I even got into this marriage." and she'll be right. Grey doesn't need to disrespect her--she does it for him. if someone came to interview you without any sign of interest in you, would you treat them lovingly? she's a perfect victim, b/c he doesn't want a person who will reject him so he won't worry about her red flags. she won't see anything as a red flag because she's so used to "paying the cost", she's never afraid to do more of it.

how many sleepwalkers read this book and go, "wow, that is soooo me"? maybe that's the real embarassment, tho I haven't gotten to the naughty bits yet. but imagine this character not as a 22yr old, but a 40yr old...would you trust her with anything important? would her bumbling be attractive in an adult?
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 140
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/21/2012 1:54:56 PM
^^^^Why is this? The books are FICTION! There is no rhyme or reason to them because they are made up characters and with made up story-line and NO real plot. It's not wonder you were disappointed. Most FICTION ends disappointingly. That's why they are fiction. If one wishes to read the REAL deal? There are dozens of books about the realities of BDSM:
http://www.amazon.com/Screw-Roses-Send-Thorns-Sadomasochism/dp/0964596008
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/playing-dangerous-games-d-j-williams/1022015602
and too many websites about the "realities" to mention. Of course these books are "entertaining" ~ but so fictional it really is quite sad. JMO
 the_biggavell
Msg: 141
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/22/2012 7:06:42 AM
geez... your telling me if i put out a book, about a guy who dominates women, i could have made millions??

that book employs some stuff I've been saying the entire time..

women don't want to win, they want a winner.. to be dominated, commanded.. they want to be Soldiers in your army guys, but they want to be an army of one haha.

and look at these goofy girls going gaga over the book.. take note guys.
 cr4zycupcake
Msg: 142
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/22/2012 8:21:20 AM
geez... your telling me if i put out a book, about a guy who dominates women, i could have made millions??

that book employs some stuff I've been saying the entire time..

women don't want to win, they want a winner.. to be dominated, commanded.. they want to be Soldiers in your army guys, but they want to be an army of one haha.

and look at these goofy girls going gaga over the book.. take note guys

Lmao, exactly the reason I don't like the notion of the book. Not the womens' fantasies aroused, that's fine, but the negative affects it'll have on men (the above being a fine example). Eff that. Reason why I don't like this book on the shelf. People take fantasy for reality. So, some women might wanna spice up there sex life with a spank? All of sudden men think we want to be told to lick the kitchen floor on demand. Get a clue.

Book should come off the shelf.
 want to travel
Msg: 144
view profile
History
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/22/2012 10:39:45 AM
I find the whole thing to be kind of funny
I have always loved everything about sex, and yup..was even a bit wild, when I was much younger, now, I just need to be in a relationship
what I find really amusing,is that most people, never come to terms with their sexuality
they seem to be stuck, in their high school years...., so now people need a book, to explore some sexual things, that are not quite, boring and mundane
I am really not into bondage as a fetish,but have know a very few people who were, it really is all about dressing up and role playing,now I look arround in my nice middle class, existance, I look around and imagine all these people who are now running out to buy, leather, and hand cuffs, sometimes I break out laughing, when I imagine neighboors,in leather lol
 Qedtanya
Msg: 145
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/22/2012 11:45:33 AM

Do women ever read anything that is educational? Or just trashy shit like this?

That's quite a generalization and totally unfair. As an avid reader of practically everything and a woman, I find it harder to find men who read.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 146
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/22/2012 1:10:10 PM
It is a serious ****ed up read - and poorly written, too.

That's what a lot of people say, including my buddy, who is (to be fair) a writer of sorts. It's a market that's been open for a long long time, but with little demand... but once "buzz" gets out there, it gives the green light it's pretty "mainstream" for gals to get into that genre for once... and that lucky author needed no craft or great writing skills to get super-rich super-quick due to being an untapped item -- just a great publishing company to open up the doors to finally untap it.
 poker_fan_in_nyc
Msg: 147
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/22/2012 5:22:14 PM
Well in the 3rd book they are married and I read that part where he tells her he never wants her to be his sub...just saying...

I was flipping through the pages of my mother's book while she was visiting me this weekend...[she loved the triloligy]...I do have to admit most of the sex scenes were kinda boring (or maybe was hoping for something else) but when he handcuffed her ankles to her wrists gave me something new to think about LOL
 LONGISLANDWOMAN
Msg: 148
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/22/2012 5:34:04 PM
To be perfectly honest im seeing this book as more of a love story
Christian is willing to give up his kinks for the love of Anastasia
To me it is all about compromise
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 149
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/22/2012 6:59:08 PM

Christian is willing to give up his kinks for the love of Anastasia

Which really proves that the author doesn't know what she writes about, because you can't go against your "wiring" and still be fulfilled.

Maybe there should be a sequel about how Christian finds another play partner because his wife no longer will participate with him, since she was never kinky - she only went along with it until they got married - and he can't keep going without it.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 151
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/22/2012 7:33:40 PM

Well in the 3rd book they are married and I read that part where he tells her he never wants her to be his sub...just saying...

This:

Which really proves that the author doesn't know what she writes about, because you can't go against your "wiring" and still be fulfilled.

Maybe there should be a sequel about how Christian finds another play partner because his wife no longer will participate with him, since she was never kinky - she only went along with it until they got married - and he can't keep going without it.

Exactly. I've never known a Dom/Master who would "give up" his true nature in order to feel some perceived sense of "love" for their sub/slave. And yep, I feel a new book coming on in which a poly-household is required if he "gives up" on her submissiveness for some self-professed "compromise" or revelation. Again, this is fiction. There's NO truth to it whatsoever. JMO
 jmoinajo
Msg: 152
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/22/2012 8:35:40 PM
Totally behind green eyes on this one.

Women have always bought and shared erotica, nothing new. It's just this book allowed some social acceptance to admitting to reading it.

Certain romance authors are known for being more risque and even rape fanatsy oriented than others, but it was justa trashy novel.read in public, this is no different.

Spend your money on good writing, or use your imagination. Or geeze, I don't know, answer a man's pof letter and meet him for coffee even if his letter sucked and his profile does, too.
 Acehonestlady
Msg: 153
view profile
History
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/23/2012 1:45:53 AM
I am on Chapter 6 of the second book. From the first book and seeing also in the second it is although the Author is creating her own ‘clichés’! Clichés because they are repeated so many times throughout. ‘Biting/bite my lip’ ‘biting/bite your lip’ ‘hitching my/his breath’ ‘breath hitches’ ‘oh my’, ‘his happy trail’ ‘his length’ and others. Plus there are words that require a dictionary only to find that there are far more accessible words that could have been used that express the same thing well enough. It is like she is trying to be clever. There seems to be a little contradiction too with his chest hair! I like the innocence of her intrigue of it but first and often it is described as a ‘smattering’ then at least once it is more substantial. But she goes on about it too much like she does other parts of his and her own body. This loses the intrigue to the reader perhaps.

Having said this though I am enjoying the books as I want to see what happens -if the contract ever gets signed or if she ever is permitted to touch his untouchable regions.

I can go off tangent into my own imagination, make sexier or eroticize more the erotic bits, and exclude the nasty bits from my fantasy. It is a tool for when I am feeling too lazy or not in-tuned enough to start from scratch in my own imagination. But I can imagine better than the book, as I am sure most of us can.

I quite like it more as a physiological story about a stalker with a story waiting to unfold fully and an innocent becoming less so but staying so in some ways than an erotic story. I am a little curious to see if Anastasia ends up buying a strap-on dildo and ****ing him up the arse with it – not sure that would be his thing though!

I am quite happy that it isn’t too well written as it makes me feel better about my own book that I don’t think is well written. Though I am far from breaking even on my book :O(
 gtomustang
Msg: 155
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/23/2012 9:23:38 AM
1) Its interesting it gets panned for poor writing, yet its up for an award. Either the award committee doesn't know what its doing or...it doesn't suck so bad to avoid being a finalist in an award ceremony.

2)while its fiction, its having an effect--at least out here, I get more and more married men claiming their sex life got more active. And, as you can see, I'm at a single's forum--not to order pizza, but to discover what SOME people find sexy. why bury my head in the sand b/c I just don't like what I see?

3)The plot seems quite obvious to me, but maybe its too close to home for some. The narrator wants to FEEL desired, so much she will pay a price for it (a price so high, most will agree its high). If she wanted instead to BE loved, then she'd want respect, and the question would answer itself. She wouldn't do what she's uncomfortable with. If she wanted to feel loved, then yes, she may chase after someone hot and cold, b/c if she could only win over the unwinable, then she'd lose the ugly duckling feeling...well, OK, she'd go after the next emotionally distant guy, and so on and so on.

Fiction? not hardly--these forums are chock full of women asking, "my relationship sucks, but then there are a few things that look like love. does that mean he loves me?" and the answer, of course, is who cares--the situation sucks, respect yourself to get out and find both love and respect, not either/or.

so, talking about it, even in fiction form, isn't a bad idea. its found in reality.

4)I wonder, if Grey was 40 instead of near Ana's age, would the daddy/daughter relationship show itself more clearly...or just gross people out.

5)bondage, as you all pointed out, has been put out there before--heck, in movies. Basic Instinct, Madonna's cheap "mee tooo!" movie (was it "body of evidence"?), and Indecent Proposal didn't have to even have it to get people wondering. So what makes this book create a more intense word-of-mouth buzz advertising?

I just see it as an intellectual exercise...not to mention, like I said, I'm not here to order pizza :) lol IF there was something in the book that men could do to make themselves sexier...I'm not sure how that's going to hurt women. Unless that thing is hurtful or disrespectful, in which case...why are they attracted to something like that, and where do they go from there?

6) Subs/doms can't change, its like homosexuality, you're saying? Its not just a matter of figuring out what you're trying to achieve with your behavior, and finding an alternative behavior, like when you unlearn bad habits learned from parents?
 Miss W
Msg: 157
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/23/2012 10:52:45 AM
I am kind of sort of ashamed to admit that I read the books as I swore up and down that I would only do so if someone gave them to me and a friend did, so I read just for curiosity to see what all the rage was. This is so not my genre.

After the 1st couple of sex scenes, I got bored and the reason as to why I got through them quickly was because because I fast forwarded through them, muttering to myself as to how in hell these people could still walk, shaking my head and saying yeah right. Although not very good, I do have to say that they were entertaining. Some of my "mom" friends LOVED the books. One said to keep batteries as you would need them. Nope. I for one, think it sends a dangerous message to young women by telling them that it is ok and that their love will "change" the guy and will let them accept bad behavior.

The following is a VERY funny review that someone recently shared with me.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215
 deuber67
Msg: 158
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/23/2012 4:00:25 PM
women arent into this kinda stuff till theres a famous book or movie that comes out then all the sudden they all wanna be tied up and spanked
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 159
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/23/2012 6:54:14 PM
Miss W - you're right - that review of the trilogy is hysterically funny!
 gentleplus
Msg: 160
view profile
History
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/23/2012 7:22:09 PM
This is the entire danger of this book from a general cultural view....

"Nope. I for one, think it sends a dangerous message to young women by telling them that it is ok and that their love will "change" the guy and will let them accept bad behavior."

Because Oprah and Dr Berman (both who I admire as being on target... not this time though) ooze over it ... America will follow blindly
 Drawesome32
Msg: 161
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/23/2012 8:03:44 PM
i cant believe women are into this garbage. if youre into this sort of sex, fine, many women are. its the women who go around looking for their "mr grey" that are sad. i guess every average looking girl "wont settle" until they find a guy with the right "chemistry' which is now an incredibly attractive billionaire with a big penis and a ton of spare time. unrealistic expectations at work here.

the difference between this fiction and the zombie fiction that someone mentioned is that anyone in their right mind doesnt actually go around waiting for zombies to attack, a lot of women reading these books are seriously looking for their mr grey, as evidenced by this thread.
 Miss W
Msg: 162
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/24/2012 9:15:03 AM
http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com/2012/07/21/50-shades-of-grey-dinner-party/
Fifty Shades dinner party anyone? LOL!
 hotttmann
Msg: 163
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/24/2012 10:59:46 AM
i am in the middle of the second book
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 164
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/24/2012 11:02:22 AM
its the women who go around looking for their "mr grey" that are sad. i guess every average looking girl "wont settle" until they find a guy with the right "chemistry' which is now an incredibly attractive billionaire with a big penis and a ton of spare time. unrealistic expectations at work here.

While I agree, I have to bring up Harlequin of years passed. The PG-13 versions of 50 Shades. Women have loved that stuff forever and although I find it to be a utter waste of my time personally, I guess if someone finds they can't tell their own real live man what they need/want and yet can be comfy living those things in their own head as fantasies? OK.

This is the entire danger of this book from a general cultural view....

"Nope. I for one, think it sends a dangerous message to young women by telling them that it is ok and that their love will "change" the guy and will let them accept bad behavior."

Because Oprah and Dr Berman (both who I admire as being on target... not this time though) ooze over it ... America will follow blindly

That's my biggest issue with the series as well. (While I don't believe BDSM or an M/s relationship is "bad behavior") ~ I do agree that this series will have some minds all sorts of twisted around.

http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com/2012/07/21/50-shades-of-grey-dinner-party/
Fifty Shades dinner party anyone? LOL!

Now that's some funniness there. (Loved the jello-mold/taco comments.....HAHAHAHAHA)
 gentleplus
Msg: 165
view profile
History
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/24/2012 11:11:59 AM
Verygreeneyez.... on target as always..... will you marry me??? LOL
 funlovingrrl440
Msg: 167
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/25/2012 6:32:09 AM
Slavedriver8, please message me
 sooperguy
Msg: 168
50 Shades of Grey
Posted: 7/25/2012 9:20:13 AM
I read the whole book and can see why women like it. Christian is tall, gorgeous, well endowed, filthy rich, intelligent, articulate, sophisticated, blah, blah, blah. Ana is gorgeous but doesn't realize how much, intelligent, orgasms like crazy, blah, blah, blah. He buys her expensive gifts, but she has a moral dilemma with accepting them (but still does). Can you say Pretty Woman? She just graduates from college, has very good looking male friends, but never had a boy friend? I call BS on that...seems she's waiting for Mr. Right...who happens to be Mr. Alpha male on steroids with Bill Gates bank account.

Stereotypical romance novel formula from what I understand. The sex is pretty tame from a BDSM perspective, they never try the anything harder than spanking.

I seriously regret spending my money on that book...but at least women across America might be a little more open to some light BDSM...I do enjoy light spanking and control!
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >