Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How skinny is too skinny?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 checkitwreckit
Msg: 19
How skinny is too skinny?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
lol, your thread title should be "how to tone down" or something like that. might get some better answers. or google it:P
 afitnessmodel
Msg: 20
How skinny is too skinny?
Posted: 5/21/2012 6:16:18 AM
some people can't help if they're skinny~i eat healthy but i do have many cheat days~i love food~but i'm little & to others i'm too skinny~i workout on weights & i run~i do have so many food allergies~i do have to be careful or i have to go on steroids because of my allergies~some people can't help that they're tooooo skinny~
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2012 7:36:08 AM

I'm 40. I have been vegetarian for 18 years. I am 73" tall and
presently 185 lbs

I'm now on my mid 50's

I've been a vegetarian for going on 3o years. About the same height and 180 lbs.

Also, zero issue with strength. I can do more push ups and chin ups than 98% of the guys (of all ages) at the gym. Abs are a tough one to get a handle on. I have decent abs but this is due more to little fat on the body rather than ab exercises. My girlfriend likes to rake her nails across my tummy. i 'think' our abs already have decent natural muscle shape but it's usually hidden under a layer of fat.

Re running...I do a modest pace for 20 minutes 5 days or so a week. This is certainly first for cardio health but it also gives the legs tone. Gives the thighs and calves some shape. I don't work the legs at the gym.

Re vegetarian...not sure if it's best in earlier years buta vegie leaning diet is definitely a big plus after the mid 30's or so. My guy veggie friends tend to be lean and mean...the women are slim and their skin radiant.
 statemachine500
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/21/2012 6:34:56 PM

Stop smoking dude.

I'm 40. I have been vegetarian for 18 years. I am 73" tall and
presently 185 lbs. Up 'til 35 or so going over 165 was not
happening. Age is a factor. I could see the veins in my lower
abdomen into my 30s. I've put on Charles Atlas style
muscle in the last 5 years. It looks like a 1940s physique.

I have never smoked tobacco,no weed for 15 years.You look more like 170 max.

In the real world I prep driveways and garages with a skidsteer,but there is still plenty of shovel work,raking 40 mm gravel,rebar,pounding wood stakes etc.

Then I go to the gym a couple of nights a week.Because you need to.That means heavy weights.Anything less and you're just kidding yourself that you are in the shape you could be.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/22/2012 7:36:40 AM
When you start breaking bones or feeling unhealthy you are, "Too Skinny".

Nuff said...
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2012 7:50:09 AM

I guess you never heard it was good to have a man with a strong back?(smile)

^^^^^^^HA!!

As long as they can press/lift 120

You are to skinny if you stand sideways and disappear
 Blackout478
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/26/2012 12:29:26 PM
If you want to tone up, just do weight lifting and cardio. You can even some protein shakes that will make you produce muscles faster and stronger. I'm your same weight, but I have broad shoulders and naturally can't get skinny. I would just hit the gym and get a personal trainer and tell them what your goals are. You also need to eat better. Fish and baked chicken will give you good results and will help build muscle also.
 Sensei_Ro
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/26/2012 4:00:20 PM
IF you want to tone down, it's all in the diet. Any aesthetic goal you want to achieve is all about the diet, the gym is only supplemental to it.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2012 10:45:58 PM
quote] Any aesthetic goal you want to achieve is all about the diet, the gym is only supplemental to it

Agree with you. I've been a gym rat for 4o years. Weights for 98% of folks just finishes the edges after losing fat.. Many folks when overweight a few pounds just look pudgier through lifting weights. You need to remove the fat to show any definition.
 statemachine500
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/27/2012 10:43:18 AM

Weights for 98% of folks just finishes the edges after losing fat.. Many folks when overweight a few pounds just look pudgier through lifting weights. You need to remove the fat to show any definition.

Of course you need to remove fat to show definition.What's defined under the fat?You need to lift weights to create something to look at,otherwise it could just be ribs....
 statemachine500
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/27/2012 10:45:35 AM

Any aesthetic goal you want to achieve is all about the diet, the gym is only supplemental to it.

I haven't seen anything aethetic about POW camp or H survivors.
 Sensei_Ro
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/27/2012 11:27:17 AM
I know, which proves my point even further considering they had a terrible diet.
 statemachine500
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/27/2012 5:42:29 PM
Small spelling mistake in case you thought I meant "athletic".

I haven't seen anything aesthetic about POW camp or H survivors.If the muscles do not get sufficient stimulus,they waste away as you get leaner.The result is not "toned" or "athletic".It's skinny.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/27/2012 5:58:50 PM

I haven't seen anything aesthetic about POW camp or H survivors.If the muscles do not get sufficient stimulus,they waste away as you get leaner.The result is not "toned" or "athletic".It's skinny.

A POW Camp, really?

People in POW camps look the way they do not because they where not doing 5X5's at the local 24 fitness, it is because they have been starved and when that happens both fat and muscle tissue is compromised.

Muscles need both stimulus and food, take away one or the other and changes will start to happen.
 statemachine500
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/27/2012 6:59:40 PM

A POW Camp, really?

People in POW camps look the way they do not because they where not doing 5X5's at the local 24 fitness, it is because they have been starved and when that happens both fat and muscle tissue is compromised.

Muscles need both stimulus and food, take away one or the other and changes will start to happen.

How the heck was I misunderstood there?I've been trying to get it through to people that you must stimulate all muscle groups.

I know a few things about POW camps Ari.
 dipper1984
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/15/2012 12:56:53 PM

^^^^^^^HA!!

As long as they can press/lift 120

You are to skinny if you stand sideways and disappear

Why 120? :-)
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2012 3:04:27 PM

When you start breaking bones or feeling unhealthy you are, "Too Skinny".

Actually the lighter a person is the much less likely they are to break a bone. The exception are things like osteoporosis by they are not about being 'skinny' but poor bone densdity.

Basic physics..there's a lot more kinetic energy in a 250 lb weight falling than one that's 150lb...way more. This is why kids can fall several times a day and not break anything but an obese person trips over a sidewalk crack and breaks a leg.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2012 8:18:07 PM

Once read in a men's health mag, that the quickest way to look like you packed on 20lbs of muscles was to loose ten pounds of fat.

Agree 100%. Expecially with abs.

Little is sillier at the gym than guys pumping iron and drinking their protien powders and then going home to eat a pizza. etc. They often look 'pudgy'. Doesn't matter how much muscle one has if there isn't a toned body.
 Sepa-Isis
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2012 9:01:04 PM
Too  skinny is when u can see bones. 
You want to 'tone', start lifting weights and start lifting heavy and get ur food under control (if this is an issue). It will be hard to build muscle on a calorie deficit. 
Weight lifting 3xweek with some cardio
 afitnessmodel
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/17/2012 6:33:15 PM
That isn't so...anyone can break bones...its not cause one is too skinny...thank you.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2012 4:25:48 AM

Why 120? :-)

So you men can sweep us off our feet of course.:-0
Ouga Chaka, ouga chaka! ....
 MayorOfWho-Ville
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/23/2012 10:04:01 AM
Ok this subject is very near and dear to my heart. I am a very light person. I don't have that layer of visceral lining my skin. True fact. I have a very active metabolism. At the current times, I am consuming 4000 calories, and run 4 to 8 miles every other day, with muscle failure in-between just to maintain the hard work of weight gain. And yet by medical and Army standards I fall into the under weight category.

Just the other day I was in my Local Wal Mart and a chunky lady came up to me and implied I had an eating disorder.

After struggling with this self conscious demon I have had, I have come to a conclusion. There is no such thing as too skinny or under weight as long as you eat healthy and exercise. Society as a whole has two fatal flaws about weight, one they think it is a disease to not be "normal". Its not something that can be treating as such. It is a metabolism and a psychological disorder in some. Secondly everyone needs to learn that everyone has their own standard that should be based upon their own build, eating habit, exercise, and psychological health, and biological health. You cannot lump any one into the Too skinny, too fat, or healthy. You need to look at ALL the factors before putting someone into one of the statistics. Its not a black and white issue.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/28/2012 9:55:27 AM
I was in an antique store the other day and glanced at the clothing back in the day. People were much smaller- both men and women, as we all know, and basically healthier if they were living an active, agrarian lifestyle. A whole foods diet that's full of alkaline/ alkalizing foods will have you jumping the moon with energy and will have your pH in balance. I also use (Bragg) apple cider vinegar every day for this purpose.

Yes, too skinny is when you're out of balance and become unhealthy. Don't do this quickly. Manage your energy, workouts, food intake, rest and don't get in a hurry to lose weight etc and you'll be fine.
 kiiza
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/29/2012 5:27:44 PM
common guyz, why would someone wanna look malnurished for the sake of satisfaction of inner feeling? I have know many unhealthy looking ladies thinking that they can look cute by shadding weight! The best way to be beautful, excercise, eat healthy, develop a habit to emergy in community service, lice in clean environment, stop abuse of substance of illicit drugs, alcohor, tobacco,.. increase your bible study, listen to gospel and other livable music,.. avoid unhealthy area such as on going club life,.. learn to dress attractive and and yet healthy,.. avoid multiple sexual partners, clean up your tongue, no curses or dirt wors and go for what is good.. trust me you will be happy and no matter how you look like the world will love you, not due to your fancy external appearance, but for your meaning love and smile people can feel when they look into your eyes..
 tallshyman
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2013 9:17:52 AM
when I was a teen I was 6'4" and 88 pounds I was very unhappy about, mom wanted me skinny she never cooked anything :(
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How skinny is too skinny?