Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The Demanding Customer      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 goodkindacrazy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
The Demanding CustomerPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I think there is a difference between being demanding and making unreasonable demands. I am going to demand (politely ask) what I want, a Caramel Mocha Frappachino light. Will I be unhappy if I don't get it? Of course, because it wasn't unreasonable to expect that I would get a Caramel Mocha Frappachino light. Its not as easy as straight up black coffee but its entirely doable. Its only when making unreasonable demands, like asking that they only use cream from Belgian cows that you might assume that the customer is looking for some drama.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 16
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/15/2012 1:22:56 PM
Take a person at your local coffee shop.

I like a little coffee with my cream and sugar.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 17
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/15/2012 2:04:53 PM

Sometimes when you have no expectations you can be utterly blown away.

Indubitably.

One might even go so far as to say, with no expectations one will often be utterly blown away.

I can't seem to live my life without ANY expectations but I can see a clear benefit in trying to reduce them. Expectations are fine until you factor other human beings into the mix.
 Della D
Msg: 18
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/15/2012 2:39:58 PM
Not sure about your correlation there OP, as real life might not be just as simple.

I like my coffee black, strong and steaming hot (even here in that hot climate). Now, as that line sounds like in the movie, I'd like to stress that for me there is no racial innuendo!

Anyhow, for "dating" these basics might (just might once really strong and really steaming hot) suffice, but for anything more serious they surely won't. Choosing a partner and/or ordering coffee (or any other beverage for that matter) are two very different issues IMHO.
 Della D
Msg: 19
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/15/2012 3:14:36 PM
Wow, looks like I missed that one!

@Igor: Most accurately put! Thumbs up! (Not sure why I don't have that symbol here to use?)
 AddHomonym
Msg: 20
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/15/2012 6:13:41 PM
I'm getting the feeling a little balance is needed suddenly.

...in the real world, someone who wants something specific and asks for it, is actually MORE likely to be pleased with the outcome than those who have only vague ideas about their own tastes.

Let's just forget that this quote starts off with a childish insult meant to imply that all those with different opinions are insane.
Next you get the deliberate attempt to redefine the argument, thereby making it more "winnable" by confusing specific with demanding. A medium, regular coffee is specific. The use of the word "ask" in place of demand is the same problem.
Then you have the very strong assertion that being "specific" equates to greater satisfaction which, to my limited knowledge, is false and untenable. The examples I have used are considered very accurate by a few of our other members and in no way suggests that such people are even a little bit happy, let alone superior in their ability to feel said emotion as a direct result of having put more demands on the server. The typical result for people making orders like this, in my limited experience, is to become upset with the server. I don't consider this to be an example of "happiness" but then again, maybe that's the problem. Maybe complaining to some underpaid server about not having enough foam on your whatever, is happiness for some people?
The last part of this quote denigrates the rest of humanity for lacking the developed cognitive abilities of the demanding customer.

I like Igor and I generally agree with him while always respecting what he has to say but on this one, I get the impression that my comments hit a little close to home and he lost his ability to reason objectively. That or maybe he was drunk?

I don't expect you to agree with me or even like me, but don't tell me Igor made a good argument there.
 forums1
Msg: 21
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/15/2012 6:41:14 PM
There's not a lot of ways to screw up my order - Large black coffee.

Yet, I did one meet the king of all idiot servers...

Me: "Large black coffee"
Them: "Cream and sugar?"
Me: "No, black. No cream, no sugar, just black coffee."
Them: "So a large coffee..."
Me: "Yup"
Them: "Whipped cream on that?"
Me: "No, just a plain black coffee."
Me: (getting pissy now) "I said *black*, what part of *black* do you not understand? No, NO cream, NO sugar, NO fake sugar, NO whipped cream, NO little sprinkles with a cherry on top... *BLACK*, as black as it comes out of the pot, unadulterated, pick up a cup, pick up the pot, pour, and put a lid on it..."

Its really really hard to make me "lose it", but this guy just really didn't seem to get it.
 Walts
Msg: 22
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 4:53:21 AM
I agree in theory OP. A couple of things I might add though.

One, I think people DO BELIEVE it's their God given right to have a list of expectations(which I agree) but,with that, think also it's the God given right to have those expectations met(which I call BS) Many reasons for it. "The customer is always right" ca ca line being one of them.

The other thing is that people have been led to believe in out North American society is that because they have have the cash, they can't get what they want. If we compare that to here,I would expect SOMETHING for somebody if they want me to fufil their list of requirments. Fair is only fair, is it not????

Too many people are walking into the corner grocery store expecting a latte' just because they want it.

Oh. Our lives are only as "complicated" as we make them. Simple. And again, from one of my favs......

"" We make ourselves rich by making our wants few.""

REREAD,,,,"wants".
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 23
view profile
History
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 5:01:08 AM
Be careful when choosing a name. Calling yourself "AddHomonym" lays you open to someone who WAS actually trying to "win" these discussions, to accuse you of using ad hominem attacks, which are inherently self-defeating.

No, I was not drunk, I don't get drunk. I am often mistaken in what I think someone is trying to say, but I'm not convinced that that is the case here. I also periodically fail to express myself as clearly as I want to. Perhaps that applies here.

My concern with your thread concept, OP, is that since you carefully painted pictures of two groups of people, those who are picky about the coffee they drink, and those who are selective about partners, and you did so with a clear intent to attach negative judgments to both, I take issue with you.

I disagree with the general notion that being selective is "bad."

I disagree with the implication, intended or not, that communicating one's tastes and desires is "bad."

And I disagree that there is any useful correlation to be found between people who want a particular kind of drink, and how open they might be to a variety of people, when they feel love or attraction.

In my experience, everyone who has tried to push such similes, hasn't been so much exploring the world, as they have been seeking to change it, much as the historic imperialist "explorers" of the old days did, announcing to each group of startled natives, that now that they have been "discovered," that they belong to the Old Rich Guy back home.

That is the sense that I got both from your original post, and from your adjustments since. If I am wrong, so be it, these discussions are structured to allow for observations that aren't a perfect match. And in case you are actually genuinely trying to learn something from this yourself, someone nudging you to look outside of your comfort zone, SHOULD be a help to you.
 onlydateIF
Msg: 24
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 1:00:24 PM
Not a coffee drinker, also agree w/ Igor's posts, and men who don't also have preferences and standards are not my cup of tea. I think my preferences reflect my upbringing and where I'm at in my life. On a free 'everybody's' dating site, it is wise to have clarity :)
 AddHomonym
Msg: 25
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 2:56:33 PM
Let me start off by offering Igor a big man-hug. You've taken up the gauntlet to speak up on behalf of the demanding customer and they love you for it. I don't consider this to be your fault and I still respect your words even though I think you are right out to lunch on this one.

<div class="quote">And I disagree that there is any useful correlation to be found between people who want a particular kind of drink, and how open they might be to a variety of people, when they feel love or attraction.

I and likely every person in here also agrees with this. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with the discussion. This is the emotional, reactionary response from the demanding customer. I get the impression you are hearing what you want to hear and maybe when the boiling blood simmers a little, you'll see what I am trying to say.

Here's my best effort to clarify the situation and if I've altered some facts, it isn't due to dishonesty, rather it has to do with this being a dynamic conversation:

The Demanding Customer is a metaphor. Yes, it was offered as a potential looking glass through which we can view our little, weird world of online dating. There is no if, then statements, no direct correlations since neither I, nor anyone else has done a study on this topic to my knowledge. I try to couch my terms by using qualifiers like "it seems to me" or "in my experience", etc. to try and keep some sort of balance. It seems I missed my mark since so many of you aren't getting it.

The central point is a very simple one and one that cannot be refuted...in my opinion. Adding complexity to your order increases the likelihood that something will go wrong. I consider this to be on par with "devices that have moving parts are more likely to break down sooner". You can argue all you like but I consider these sorts of things to be common knowledge. IF increasing your list of demands (complexity of your order) leads to an increased likelihood that something will go wrong (reducing your satisfaction or happiness) THEN why would such a person do that to themselves and all the other people around them? That is the closest thing to an if, then statement you are going to find in here...from me anyway.

Choosing to add complexity to your order seems to be a conscious or unconscious choice to have something to complain about...it seems to me.

The suggestion that there may be some sort of correlation between demanding customers and demanding daters has to do with the process of selection and the amount of complexity one chooses to impose upon the process. None of this has anything to do with what people choose to order or whether they have the right to order it.

How does that relate to us, to daters in here on POF? I'm not entirely sure of that myself. The thought that did occur to me was that some people choose to add complexity into their lives and I don't believe that such things are done as entirely isolated events but rather as a personality trait. I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that someone who has just finished screaming at a young girl in a coffee shop is going to come in here and look for easy-going, laid back dates who want to go with the flow. I think it's far more likely (and totally unproven) that the demanding customer is going to impose the exact same sort of demands upon potential dates...and inevitably react in a similar fashion when things go wrong with their "order".

I never said a black coffee drinker makes for a better human being or lover or anything else. I'm also not asking anyone to change a damn thing about themselves. What I am saying is that since this idea popped into my head, I have chosen to instantly disregard those I consider narrow of mind and heavy on the demands listed on their profiles.

I reject the notion of "acquired tastes" and find that those who speak of refined palates are usually snobbish boors. Two words in particular are very important in my life and relevant to this discussion - Simple Elegance. That is what I admire and aspire to in my life. A child's smile, a foal being birthed, a rainbow coming out after a summer shower, these are examples of beautiful things that are simple and elegant to me.

You and everyone else can do whatever you choose to do. "'An ye harm none, do as ye will" is an excellent phrase I think. I personally find it embarrassing and annoying to be with a demanding customer in public, so I avoid them once I have identified them. Currently, I'm of the mind that people who's profiles are chock full of demands, exemptions, must haves and all the rest are likely to be these same sorts of people. I won't tell you this is a fact because it isn't. It's an idea and one which some of you seem to hate with a passion. Your attempts to defend the need to over-complicate your lives kind of makes me feel like a kid serving coffee to someone who didn't get their order just the way they wanted it.

You can do whatever you want. I'll do what I want. You folks have already excluded me from being able to ask you out so why should you take offence to my not wanting to date you anyway?

My philosophy is to try and make my way through this world as best I can, while spreading the least amount of drama possible and doing the most good. Ultimately, leaving this planet better off than I found it, is the highest goal worthy of striving for. Screaming at barristas and making waitresses take my food back to the kitchen numerous times, does not fit into my philosophy. In fact, this kind of behaviour is in total opposition to it.

In short, I believe that picky and demanding people will abuse and mistreat strangers in public whether they are getting a coffee or looking for a date.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 26
view profile
History
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 3:14:12 PM
Okay, I think I can see where I misunderstood your earlier posts. As for having a prejudice against you, or a general dislike of you, that isn't the case, (ref the person who thought I was after you, and not arguing against the ideas I thought you were pushing forward). I admit, being accused of drunk posting doesn't endear someone to me, so I'm not enamored of you either.

Anyway: If I am correctly reading you this time, you are not advocating anyone change to please you. Fine.

I still don't care for what I think you are saying instead, which seems to be, that when you read a profile or a set of statements from someone, which indicate to you that they are very selective in a way that excludes you, that in addition to passing them by as not useful additions to your life, that you also feel the need to attach negative labels to them in your mind.

I believe that picky and demanding people will abuse and mistreat strangers in public whether they are getting a coffee or looking for a date.

This sounds to me, as though you are convicting these, relative to you, "overparticular" people, of being callous and abusive, not because you see them being so, but solely because they are particular about who they want to spend time with.

I still think you are wrong. This is a waste of your time and energy. It isn't necessary to both pass someone by, AND call them nasty names, unless you have a personal difficulty feeling good about yourself without having to be "better" than anyone who rejects you.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 27
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 3:52:03 PM
We're almost there. The drunk thing was a joke, included some of my invisible qualifiers and was offered as an out to you. Sorry you took offence to it.

...you read a profile or a set of statements from someone, which indicate to you that they are very selective in a way that excludes you, that in addition to passing them by as not useful additions to your life...

This is close, except it's so over-the-top personal that it loses anything it might have gained. This isn't about me personally. Again, I am grateful to those of you who wish to include me in your ever-growing list of exemptions. That saves me time and aggravation. Imagine me having to wait until I physically met a woman before getting to see her throw a tantrum in a restaurant? No thank you.

I also believe that throwing a fit in a coffee shop and screaming at some kid is a form of abuse. It's ignorant, hateful, selfish and it adds stress and resentment to the lives of every single person forced to watch it unfold. Yet I see it every single day.

Perhaps I am also hoping that some borderline demanding customers might take a moment to think about how their actions affect others around them? This isn't an effort to convince anyone to date me personally however, I see more as a public service. If that translates into the dating scene then that would be a good thing, in my opinion.

I do think my examples of demanding customers are pretty crappy people, I've made that clear enough. This does not translate to the people on POF directly since those who are filtering out anyone who doesn't fit their own personal fantasy mate, will never have the opportunity to scream at them and throw a tantrum...until they come to the forum that is.

It's the process of making choices and choosing to add complexity that is the issue. One that I think many people could benefit from pondering a little bit.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 28
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 5:35:04 PM
MrOP, there is nothing wrong with ordering a special drink that is on the menu.
You seem to be ranting about an ex-wife who would make scenes in public in a way that embarrassed you. That's never pleasant. But to equate ordering an 'interesting coffee drink' with trying to make more drama out of one's life, way above and beyond by then rejecting said order and making a fuss about it just does not translate to anything other than you and your SOs weirdness.

I'm sure most of us have come across people who never seem happy no matter how others cater to them, or try to please them. The simplicity or complexity of their wants and needs is not the issue. Some people just are never satisfied or happy. Pity them, but pass them by.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 29
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 6:06:04 PM
^^^Uh...no

My ex is just one of many examples, one that I had the most insight into to be sure. I've had other girlfriends, pals and work acquaintances who fall into the Demanding Customer model. I also see them out in public on a daily basis.

This isn't about me or my ex wife. See msg 56 for further clarification, I'm tired of writing.
 onlydateIF
Msg: 30
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 7:35:19 PM
OP, people are complex by our very nature, and ALL of us make choices-We'd BETTER be making wise choices when it comes to dating! I don't see how wanting a triple caramel latte w/ sprinkles transmutes into abusive yelling at a barrista or waitstaff (?)-BTW, where do you live where there are so many tantrums??. In my entire life,living in many locations, I have to say, I have only seen someone berate a service person ONE TIME- in a nail salon. You can relax now, the problem is not as real or large as you imagine it to be. It appears the majority of people have a social conscience which keeps them from making a public spectacle of themselves and enjoy exchanging pleasantries-Pheeeeeeewie,......... just breathe........... everything's gonna be alright :)
 abelian
Msg: 31
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 8:21:05 PM
Now apply that thought to this place.

There appears to be a correlation between demanding customers and demanding daters.

You've way over simplified the analogy. I can be a demanding customer to any company that appreciates my business if I make it worth their while to give me preferential treatment. For that matter, I don't even have to demand anything. It's automatic or I go elsewhere because I'm going to be a loyal customer and I'm going to make it worth some company's while to treat me better than some random person who just walks in the door. There's a lot more to a transaction (and dating) that just demanding or non-demanding customers with generic currrency wanting a commodity product. If I am a good customer, I can get the preferential treatment I expect for the business I give them. It works the same way in dating, except that too few people are prepared to make an offer without first knowing what they'll get. Everyone wants a good deal, but few people want to be a good deal.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 32
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/16/2012 8:39:48 PM

...where do you live where there are so many tantrums??. In my entire life,living in many locations, I have to say, I have only seen someone berate a service person ONE TIME...

Do not come north across the border, for your own peace of mind. This is indeed a common occurrence up here and I'm shocked to hear that Americans are so well behaved.

For Abelian, I could not and I would not try to argue that the ideas in the OP are brutal over-simplifications. I'm not offering any facts here. It is nothing more than it was presented as...an odd idea that popped into my head the other day.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 33
view profile
History
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/17/2012 4:06:12 AM
Perhaps this is would be better seen as a member of the "General Use and Pseudo-Science of Red Flag Application In Dating" sort of discussion.

Since it seems to be human nature to try to learn from our troubles, how to avoid repeating them, it is very common for people to try to look through what they've been through which was unpleasant, for hints on what to look for to avoid more unpleasantness. In these forums, that is commonly called Red Flagging some trait or behavior.

It's a very problematic business. I find it to be very similar to the sort of approach in the scientific world, where someone tries to decide about something through noting statistical coincidence. In scientific analysis, this approach can have some rewards, but it is also fraught with great danger for someone to mislead themselves as well. My favorite joke example of a wrong analysis, is that if you just look for statistical correlation, you would logically come to the apparently rational conclusion, that Tornadoes are caused by Trailer Parks, and farms.

In the dating world, the very same sort of erroneous thinking pops up regularly, in discussions where people start listing their "Red Flags." Since I have long ago come to the conclusion, that many unnecessary negative experiences in life are a direct result of such purposely developed prejudices, I argue against them when ever I think someone is proposing to add another mistaken correlation to the public list.

As this thread began, and until very recently, I saw no mention that the OP was referring only to demanding and impatient/abusive selective people. Perhaps I missed something there. This is a very different discussion indeed, if you shift the focus from "people who want unique coffee," to "people who jump down servers throats for failing to read their minds about what they want." If you change to the second complaint, then I would switch to the side which would indeed be very wary of associating with the latter kinds of people.

But then again, this thread is titled, and started out to be about "The Demanding Customer." The thread now seems to be transmogrifying into "The Abusive Customer," which is a completely different subject.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 34
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/17/2012 6:04:12 AM

Me: "Large black coffee"
Me: "No, black. No cream, no sugar, just black coffee."
Them: "So a large coffee..."
Me: "Yup"
Them: "Whipped cream on that?"
Me: "No, just a plain black coffee."
Me: (getting pissy now) "I said *black*, what part of *black* do you not understand? No, NO cream, NO sugar, NO fake sugar, NO whipped cream, NO little sprinkles with a cherry on top... *BLACK*, as black as it comes out of the pot, unadulterated, pick up a cup, pick up the pot, pour, and put a lid on it..."

Its really really hard to make me "lose it", but this guy just really didn't seem to get it.

That has been exactly my experience, except all I want is real cream added. Now I always pop the lid and take a sip before leaving my spot in line, to ensure they did not add anything else, as I absolutely will puke if sugar or sweetener goes into my coffee. Yet, I can honestly state that once a week, I get soemone who I see about to add sugar to my coffee order and I have to stop them...and clarify AGAIN that I only want real cream. Im sure to that server, I seemed 'demanding' while I am not. I ordered coffee with cream, and I want coffee with cream. And NOTHING ELSE!! I purposely select coffee shops that I already know have real cream so as not to ask for something they may not have in stock. I do my own due diligence, they need to listen to thier customer and provide the service the customer is paying for, not assume I made a mistake and really would like some sugar in my coffee. Yuck!! (as a kid the last chocolate I ate before puking was pot of gold coffee...to this day, coffee and sweet together will make me hurl)

I dont go to places like starbucks anymore because a simple coffee with cream order thows them for a loop.

I would not care one bit if anyone standing behind me felt put out because I asked the server to correct my order either. Im paying for a coffee with cream and I am not leaving until I get that. End of. If they have an issue with the delay, they really need to address it with the staff and manager as the delay was not caused by the customer, it was caused by the server disregarding my request or making an honest mistake that needed to be corrected.

I would never send anything back to a kitchen where I could not see what was being done to my food or drink either. I know what happens when food is sent back out of the publics line of vision. In that case, Id just ask for my money back and leave.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 35
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/17/2012 8:17:32 AM
I'm trying to read minds here, I could easily get this wrong.

I believe the OP wanted to highlight a personality trait that is seen fairly commonly in POF profiles from both genders but, dare I say, more often from women's profiles than men's (now, I wonder how much honesty is going to cost me).

Specifically, an attitude that something that is to some degree unreasonably long and complex (e.g "milk-fed goats milk") is owed to them immediately (poor attitude, notice the... "now!" in his post). I don't think the poster had any intentions of "picking" on those people that know exactly what they want but, on those whose requirements border on the unreasonable along with the poor attitude present in the request.

Correlating this to the dating scene, the "equivalent" is a profile with a long list of overly specific requirements with little or no leeway for compromise, coupled with a "don't you dare" send me a message if you do not fit _exactly_ those requirements right _now_. Obviously these kinds of profiles (whether from men or women) expose a personality type that is likely to be the one of a "drama queen/king". It is unlikely anyone will ever meet the list of requirements but, the originator of the profile may very well be one who complains endlessly about the opposite gender's behavior (how dare he/she send me a message when I specifically said no one under 6 foot 5, green-eyed with a Goldwing Harley and a master's degree in reconstructive surgery, message me)

Being that this kind of behavior is a personality trait, it is likely that, whoever manages to be a demanding, unrealistic and unpleasant customer will expose that trait in other activities such as dating.

Now, I'm in line for my cup of coffee... :-)

I like my coffee to be about 2 to 3 times stronger than espresso and with sugar. That's what I like. What I order however is, a regular coffee with cream. The reason being that coffee has a tendency to stain my teeth which is something I cannot live with. This is also the reason I put cream in my coffee, cream reduces the staining enough that regular brushing takes care of it.

Y'all excuse me, I'm going to pay for my coffee now. Thank you!
 AddHomonym
Msg: 36
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/17/2012 11:36:00 AM

General Use and Pseudo-Science of Red Flag Application In Dating

I'd say that is a fair assessment. I would probably drop the Pseudo-Science part altogether because that would give it more credit than it deserves.

If I didn't make the distinction clear enough before, I appologise. This is entirely about ill-behaved and rude customers not discerning ones who know what they want. The confusion comes in because every ill-behaved and rude customer describes themselves as discerning and knowing what they want. There is a difference. That difference says an awful lot about the customer, in my opinion. A person could walk into a coffee shop and ask for the moon, it's how they react when they don't get what they want, that is of primary importance. As a general assumption, the idea I put out there is that the more complex the order, the greater the likelihood of something going wrong with that order and therefore, there would seem to be an increased chance of a public tantrum. I'm sure there are people who make unreasonable demands who are actually capable of still being a decent person when they don't get it. I just think that is more the exception than the rule and that is based upon nothing at all - I just felt like saying it.

I'm a simple guy with simple tastes. I want my life to be as stress and drama free as possible. This doesn't mean I don't appreciate a fine, specialty vodka in my martini from time to time but it does mean that if all I can get is Smirnoff, I'm not going to let it ruin my night...or anybody else's.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 37
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/17/2012 12:24:03 PM

A Gold Wing is a Honda and never to be mistaken for a Harley.
Call me a demanding picky pof'er but I could never date a man
that didnt at least know the difference.

Thats like confusing Turkish coffee with iced tea.

(chuckle) of course you're right. I remembered that a Gold Wing was a bike but I didn't remember it was a Honda. Since I used to ride Hondas, I guess the name must have stuck in my mind.

No harm done datewise either. I'd trade a Harley for a Honda or a Kawasaki yesterday. As far as I'm concerned, you're a wonderful POFer, I don't have to worry about you borrowing my Kawasaki (if I still had it.) :-)

I highly prefer Turkish coffee over tea and could never confuse one with the other :-P
 jennink26
Msg: 38
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/17/2012 3:48:33 PM
Yes I hate customers like that. It just wastes time in line, especially if sprinkles or whatever are on the counter free to pick up and use. I don't mind if its that complicated as long as their are nice about it. Its usually the person's attitude that gets under my skin more so then the order. I'm always nice to people in restaurants, and retail environments since Ive worked there and know how bad it can be. But some people are just ***holes no matter where they are from or what the situation is.

One bad customer example: I worked for a home improvement store. Had two ladies that would come in weekly. Always bought the marked down plants that were on sale, ya know the scraggly looking ones/ half dead. And they would bring them back a few weeks later to the return desk demanding their money back. Only reason they got away with it was because they always complained to the general manager who let it slide. All the other managers in the store including regional ones, hated those two ladies. When I saw them I would avoid them like the plague because they were always rude, always loud, always asked for a manager, interrupted you and yelled if they didn't get their way. Basically they had a scam going because they would get store credit on a gift card. Even our Manager that was in charge of theft and fraud had files on them. According to her, they had gift cards worth over $3 grand due to returning bad plants that they bought as bad plants. Eventually corporate put a stop to it, and I loved the scene when they came in and even the General Manager had to say No and also made them return the gift cards. Glad to see that scammers get what they deserve.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 39
The Demanding Customer
Posted: 5/18/2012 7:16:05 AM

OP, perhaps you should have been more demanding in choosing a wife that was less demanding thus that would've saved you the headache of all the supposed drama & tantrums she threw at you for not getting what she demanded[

I can't speak for the authour of this but my guess would be that it's the wordplay involved in repeating the word "demanding" that might make it a bit funny. The use of the word "supposed" kind of makes it seem less funny and more of a dig but that's just fine. The funny thing is, this comment is a bullseye - I had so many opportunities to walk away but didn't. I like this quote because it reminds me that there is a balance between being true to yourself and your needs and being a Demanding Customer.

The person you're looking for in a date has to be compatible with you on an ongoing basis. You don't just swallow what's there; you have to find enough of what interests you mutually in life. It really isn't about cooking up drama by being too picky; it's about knowing what you want and not putting up with a simple solution, not just taking anybody that comes along

Compatible on an ongoing basis...would you be kind enough to share your secret with us? Such knowledge will not only make me rich, it will probably make me the King of the World! The fact that you seem to be able to do this with a keyboard is even more astounding. Nothing I've written should suggest that I think people shouldn't have standards or express their needs and wants when searching for a date. I use the word date to distinguish between those searching for a mate. The internet can help us find dates quite easily but it isn't possible to find a mate, without going out on dates. Lots of folks seem to think they can order up a Prince Charming or the female equivalent, and never have to leave their house. Maybe they can, who am I to say different? That certainly ain't my style though.
I think it's important to know yourself and your own needs enough to narrow and focus your search efforts but there comes a point where the Law of Diminishing Returns comes into effect. I don't know about you people but I most certainly have fallen in love with women I might never have expected to get involved with. In fact, every major relationship I've had was with someone that wasn't my idea of a perfect match. I don't even understand how a long list of demands has anything to do with love or relationships - I guess I just see people and the world around me in a very different way.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The Demanding Customer