Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Fuel pricesPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I can't give up my car even though it spends 99.9% of the time on the driveway and costs me £40-50 pm to have it doing nothing. I nearly gave it up when I moved from Lincoln to here because I was hardly using it but instead I had it transported at cost of many £££'s. I drive to Tesco once a week and occasional doctors (although combine that with a Tesco visit) although I had been driving it 3 mile round trip to work and back. Even when I moved and work was just round the corner, I drove just to keep it from siezing up.

If I give up my car now I'd probably never drive again so I'm not going to do that in case I move back to Scotland sometime. Then I would sell my car here and buy another in Scotland.

For the amount of fuel I use, I don't really notice fuel prices going up but I do notice taxi's getting more expensive.
 ControlledFolly
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Fuel prices
Posted: 5/15/2012 9:15:53 AM
I think this is setting us up to all jump on the electric car bandwagon, which on paper is a fab idea but the reality should be given consideration. Apart from forcing people into even more crippling debt by way of loans and HP etc (like the scrappage scheme of which many of those cars still being paid for have been re-possessed), this will kick start the ill informed if well intentioned eco warriors into frothing at the mouth levels of fervour.

Of lesser concern to most will be the environmental impact of millions of batteries that require disposal.

Of greater concern to most will be the cost of said batteries when they need replacing and the one often overlooked is the cost of replacing the electric motor, which last i read was at around 30k miles at a cost of around £7000 before labour. And i am confident that the laws of supply and demand will inflate this further.

The bottom line is that there is every intent of screwing us as hard as they can to exercise our right for freedom of movement. And for every penny increase in transportation costs thats another penny added to the cost of each item of food you buy. You pay at the pump, youre getting fvcked, you pay more at the checkout, you are getting double fvcked. In short we are all not just getting fvcked, we are getting raped.

Homework: Compare oil prices per barrell to prices at the pumps for the last 30 years.
 badge73
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Fuel prices
Posted: 5/15/2012 9:17:59 AM

That's what I mean, the government can't change oil prices but it can make petrol cheaper at the pump by cutting fuel duty to offset the rise.

afraid to say you might be wrong there as governments actions do play a part in oil price, last few months a possible invasion of iran and the oil price jumped because of it.

im not that fussed about petrol prices as my bike does around 50mpg and wont moan about less cars on the road.
 Richard_of_York
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Fuel prices
Posted: 5/31/2012 10:41:02 AM
Driving (or motorcyle, I suppose) is still by far the best value transport (for beyond cycling range) in terms of pure cost and convenience, unless all your travel is (i) solo and (ii) from/to locations well served by public transport, which is simply not the case for almost everyone. That will still be true with 50% more fuel cost.
 jaqi
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Fuel prices
Posted: 5/31/2012 1:18:29 PM
I couldn't part with a car because I wouldn't be able to get to all the venues for my dancing and that would make me extremely depressed :(

I was in a car accident at the end of january when a car jumped the lights and took me out! I had been thinking of a new car for the past 18 months due to the cost of fuel so the accident took the decision out of my hands as my car was written off. I bought a little diesel smart car which I absolutely love. It does me 85mpg when I am not putting my foot flat on the floor and zips along nicely on the motorway. I have had to downsize what I cart about but she is worth it.

I never have a problem finding a parking space, expecially at work and everyone smiles at her and it's a bit like when I had my old VW transporter and other transporter drivers would wave and flash their lights as we passed ... well smart car drivers do the same!! She used to be called smartipants but I have had to change that to Arfur as she looks like arf a car :)

No I definately couldn't be without a car.
 UKTom2
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Fuel prices
Posted: 5/31/2012 4:07:58 PM
The cost of fuel per month is not a significant proportion of my income, so no real worries.
I have been working at the fuel economy challenge though, just for fun really.

The main thing to concentrate on is to avoid braking by planning ahead a lot more. That's the key to economy if there's changes in speed required. After that, lowering cruising speeds makes a lot of difference. I've got quite zen about it now and can sit on motorways at 55mph indicated wherease 2 years ago I wouldn't do anything less than 80 at any time. That's the difference between 50mpg and 38mpg instantaneous.

The real fun is making good progress along A roads and still getting the average up to 45mpg. Conservation of momentum, planning ahead, virtually no braking, carrying the speed round corners. Did I say that I was enjoying this?
 badge73
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Fuel prices
Posted: 5/31/2012 4:36:08 PM
did many people know there is another bigger fuel rip off? most supermarket/garages sell unleaded fuel that is 10 percent ethanol ... which is basically water down, does not give you the required m.p.g and costs more in the long run.

for proper unleaded you have to use the super fuels what they sell in garages which are sometimes an extra 10p a litre more!!

as a member of a biking organisation you would be surprised at what the dangers off to much ethanol can do to petrol engines, rots the seals and hoses and other parts .... and to think the powers that be want to raise ethanol to 15 percent. be warned!!
 badge73
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Fuel prices
Posted: 6/1/2012 8:45:59 AM
i didnt know a lot about it till i brought a old kwak and had fuel starvation problems, examined inside the fuel tank and all the lining had just collapsed and basically rotted due to the ethanol ... a friend of mine paint on her custom bike started to flake around the fuel tank due to ethanol rotting the paint work.

i have asked questions to various organisations including daily mail, and the tax payers alliance but they dont seem to be interested even though its YOU the public being conned and paying out more money in the long run. the government are not interested as again make more revenue and lets be honest scared of the oil companies.

oil is now less then 100 dollars a barrel and falling rapidly ... wonder how long before we see this reach the pumps? just in time for the 3p rise in august ...

fuel should be cheaper in the future due to the advances of the motor trade in making cars do 80mpg and more, plus advances in electric engines mean less demand.
 ZXTTTT
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Fuel prices
Posted: 6/1/2012 2:04:19 PM
When the prices come down, I notice more than when the prices go up. Normally costs around £70-£80 for
half tank, 8 MPG around town and the best I've done was 21MPG at 60MPH on cruize over 200 miles.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >