Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > A lesson from "Hot In Cleveland"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FunnyGirly1
Msg: 41
A lesson from Hot In ClevelandPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I am still ok at my age.
 DeerTaint
Msg: 42
A lesson from Hot In Cleveland
Posted: 5/20/2012 5:50:15 PM

Homer Simpson & Marge Simpson – The Simpsons
Jim & Cheryl – According to Jim
Doug Heffernan & Carrie Heffernan – The King of Queens
Ralph Kramden & Alice Kramden – The Honeymooners

Oh I think Doug was adorable. When he did the pole dancing, I was in love. LOL

Ralph doing the Hucklebuck was also hilarious.

But I do agree that tv sets an unrealistic example of what "average" couple look like. I think Roseanne was a good example of middle America.
 ohenryx
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2012 9:04:22 PM

DeerTaint
But I do agree that tv sets an unrealistic example of what "average" couple look like. I think Roseanne was a good example of middle America.

But wasn’t that unrealistic, from the opposite point of view? I know many women who thought John Goodman was attractive (at least at that time), but I have never yet meet a man who would admit to lusting after Roseanne.
 mjinict
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2012 9:19:26 PM
I can see how constantly getting turned down, insulted, and ignored can affect ones attitude. It wouldn't be very realistic to be a Pollyanna in such a situation. But you do need a more positive attitude to attract someone. Gotta have thick skin for online dating.
 Branes
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2012 10:49:21 PM
The fact is, you men and women in your 40's can still be considered hot, but it's a very rare man or woman in their 60's that can still be called hot. Most of us men have given in to the bulging tummies, balding and greying hair. And most of us don't look very good with our clothes off. Even keeping fit doesn't defeat gravity for women or male pattern baldness for men.
Frankly, after 55, it's just too hard to keep it off. And I've decided that life is too short to eat tasteless low-fat food. And who cares. By the time you get into your 60's, you should have grown out of the "looks being the #1 motivation" syndrome. Not that sexual attraction doesn't happen, but it certainly shouldn't be a major consideration in finding a partner as a senior.

After 6 years of being a widower, what I miss is someone to watch tv and movies with. Have dinner with. Go shopping with. Someone to cook for. Someone to curl up to in bed that doesn't have fur and 4 feet. (I have two standard poodles who have claimed my king size bed as their own.. I get about a foot of it.)
At this point, I'd just like some intelligent company. Sex once in a while would just be icing on the cake.
 DeerTaint
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/22/2012 10:17:20 AM

But wasn’t that unrealistic, from the opposite point of view? I know many women who thought John Goodman was attractive (at least at that time), but I have never yet meet a man who would admit to lusting after Roseanne.

From what I know about Roseanne, she's never had a problem getting a man. She's been married 4 times I think. Actually, I remember watching her show and my ex said he found her sexy. I looked at him like WTF? he said it was because she was comfortable in her own skin and knew how to laugh at herself. He also said she had nice feet LOL
 ohenryx
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2012 1:08:21 PM

DeerTaint
From what I know about Roseanne, she's never had a problem getting a man. She's been married 4 times I think. Actually, I remember watching her show and my ex said he found her sexy. I looked at him like WTF? he said it was because she was comfortable in her own skin and knew how to laugh at herself. He also said she had nice feet LOL

My objections to Roseanne were not based on her size, but rather her personality and, most especially, her voice. Her voice used to grate on me like a fingernail on a blackboard. I have known many larger women that I found to be very attractive, but Roseanne definitely wasn't one of them.
 tbicon
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/22/2012 3:24:59 PM
I agree with you about Rosanne. The all time woman I could not stand, as you say, like a thousand fingernails on a blackboard was Bea Arthur, who came to prime time on Archie Bunker and then graduated to the Golden Girls. There was something about her I found incredibly repulsive.
 FlaxenBlonde
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2012 5:33:22 PM
Hello Branes,

I disagree with you on several points. Please know that while responding candidly, I do not intend to be rude to you .

I think many senior men and women can be considered as you say, "hot." It isn't just one's looks but their confidence, personality, intellect, how they carry themselves, etc .

You said, "Even keeping fit doesn't defeat gravity for women or male pattern baldness for men. "
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but keeping fit doesn't defeat gravity for men either. They are not immune to sagging here, there and yep, there... plus having other obvious signs of aging. Long story short, we all age... some age more gracefully and some of us don't.

And the last comment I'll address, " sexual attraction... it certainly shouldn't be a major consideration in finding a partner as a senior."
Being in one's 60's does not mean that physical attraction or chemistry, isn't important. I assure you.... it is. It is major to some of us. I'm long past anyone telling me what I should or shouldn't consider in finding the man I want in my life.

Good luck to all of us in finding who or what we seek.
 sedonaroses
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/22/2012 7:10:12 PM
I have to say I feel more sexy now in my 50's than I did in my unhappily married state of mind. I feel free and pretty sexy lately and at least I know my moods, interests and emotions. I can read people incredibly well. I have to say that I did take a trip to the South recently, and I saw a ton of overweight people. We don't have that here in New York where I live as much at least. Not that heavy people can't be sexy, I'm sure they are and can be, but I feel good so far in this new part of my life. Age is a number and only in the mind. Stay active and I like to do youthful types of activiites and I feel fine. Thanks for posting all of your comments. Interesting to read.
 deserthykergal
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2012 7:59:59 PM
Ha, I'm way over 60 and still consider myself sexy and hot.......maybe not sizzling any longer but nevertheless.....still hot.
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 52
Posted: 5/23/2012 6:08:47 AM
I haven't read all of the posts, but many....I live in Southern California and am considered over the hill. Any of the men who consider me 'hot' usually are from out of the area. When I am outside of SoCal, I get lots of male attention from both young and older.

I love the show Hot in Cleveland. Not only because the women are good looking, but they are funny and I can relate to them.

As to those who talk about weight and the man who said that most of us over a certain age don't look good with our clothes off (men and women). Speak for yourself! I know many people who are over 45 and in great shape. I don't wear a bikini, but have several friends over 40 who do and they look fantastic.

I think it's all in the attitude...men have been brainwashed by tv, thinking all of us should look like that. I haven't gotten an email on here for over a month....most likely an age issue and it's ok. I know I'm hot..LOL
 nativerock
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/23/2012 8:00:05 AM

but it's a very rare man or woman in their 60's that can still be called hot. Most of us men have given in to the bulging tummies, balding and greying hair.

Indeed that explains us not being sexually attracted to them anymore.. It is indeed very rare that I find 60 plus year old men attractive to my eyes, imagine they feel likewise.. So you make lots of friends which is not all that bad..

nativerock
 deserthykergal
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2012 10:55:35 AM
Love your spirit and attitude SpeedracerSmith. I also live in So. California and have to admit that when I first found myself suddenly single again after many years of being a couple, I had a difficult time getting used to being invisible especially when I was out and about with some of my younger girlfriends. I really thought it was very rude and I had never experienced anything like that in my life. But it must be a SoCal trend. Now it's irrelevant because most of those guys rejecting me, well, I wouldn't want them even if I was young.
I have always taken care of myself both emotionally and physically and will not allow some old fart to chisel away at my self-esteem.
But I know what you're saying how different it is outside of SoCA. I'm lucky in that I get to spend some summer time in the mid-west and what a difference!
 smokincigars
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2012 11:26:39 AM
Thanks to all of you who responded to my original post, and especially to the ladies who spoke out about their age-defying "hotness". I agree (and this was my point), women over 45, 55, even 65 and older are often just as hot as they *feel* they are. Maturity, personality and attitude can trump a face-lift -- and the effects usually last much longer.

That's the lesson from "Hot In Cleveland". Yes, those three over-45 women were quite attractive back in Los Angeles, but they didn't realize it because of the cultural youth-bias there. They didn't get more attractive when they landed in Cleveland, but the "real world" men there appreciated them for who and what they are -- mature women rather than perpetually young "twinkies" -- and the women responded to that by feeling "hot" again.

The fact is, women over 45 often look much more youthful today than their parent's generation did at the same age. Part of it may just be my mind-set, but I also believe men and women are physically "staying young" longer on average. I have seen women 50 and older compete and win against very pretty women half their age in Mrs. America preliminaries. There are women in this very forum who look remarkably youthful, to the point that I check their profiles to see just how old they are. And there is the "cougar" phenomenon; their young "cubs" may be looking for sexual experience with older women, but they still want HOT older women -- and they're finding them! Some older (and younger) men may not realize how hot you ladies are, but far more of us do.

Ladies, thank you for being your beautiful, fascinating selves.
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/23/2012 7:27:20 PM
Thank You Cairnmom!

In SoCal..the norm is "image is everything", in my world...attitude is everything!

I agree with you, when I started dating again I was disgusted and outraged at how rude many men in my age group and some younger men were to me..yet they treated my younger girlfriends with respect. I was NOT used to being invisible and ignored, I always had been pretty popular. It's kind of like on here...I remember when I used to get 5 emails in one day. If I get 5 in a month thats good! (all from one man doesn't count".
 Ed Bear
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2012 2:27:32 AM
Don't want to look as old as previous generations did at the same age?

STAY OUT OF THE SUN! Solar Power IS Nuclear power!

And DON'T SMOKE! Not only does smoking make your skin blotchy, wrinkled and inelastic, it means you're a poor candidate for "touch-ups." Tobacco-damaged skin scars easily and won't even out as it heals.

And GET A MOTORCYCLE! 'Nuff said.
ED BEAR
 nativerock
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/9/2012 5:45:38 AM

And Ralph and Alice were a PERFECT match. Ralph had personality and a Job. What did Alice bring to the picture other than the ability to clean and cook?

Yes they were a perfect match.. I think she also brought personality, and something else that Ralph enjoyed to the max.. lol
 ohenryx
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2012 12:10:14 PM

happy2bfit
I am fit and in shape and work hard to stay that way. Yet men around my age are usually looking for the woman ( GIRL~~ HA) 10-15 yrs yonger than they are.

I think you may be scaring off men with your main profile picture. I mean, seriously now, you look like you could beat up the average man, and that is not what most men find sexy.

mysterioustallmn
Valerie Bertinelli would still look good on the sickest day of her life.

+1

nativerock

And Ralph and Alice were a PERFECT match. Ralph had personality and a Job. What did Alice bring to the picture other than the ability to clean and cook?

=============================

Yes they were a perfect match.. I think she also brought personality, and something else that Ralph enjoyed to the max.. lol

Are you trying to tell us that Alice brought some extra special, kinky sexual practices to the table? Please, elaborate, inquiring minds want to know.
 sushisue
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 12:41:51 PM
Valerie Bertinelli does look fit and beautiful and she had to fight the same demons we do. How else did she become a spokeswoman for Jenny Craig, lol!
 sushisue
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 12:52:32 PM
And please don't confuse the characters any of these actresses play on tv, whether it's Roseanne Barr or Valerie Bertinelli or whoever with who they are in real life. They are actresses and they are playing a character...Roseanne Barr's tv personna matched her stage act. With what we know today about the aging process and how to stay healthy for many of us it is a choice. This year I decided to get healthier by improving my diet and taking up yoga, (I had wanted to try it for a long time). My choice. I've lost weight and feel better and I did it for me. Do men like me better? That remains to be seen, but to the men who are disappointed I'm not like Valerie I say..."and if you had wheels you'd be a trolley car". I'm me and that is all I'll ever be.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2012 2:15:11 AM
In praise of older women......Don't forget Sophia Loren! [over 50 years of beauty and class & in her seventies!]
 vestaceres
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/11/2012 3:45:44 AM
I don't complain about my perceived lack of anybody's interest as I am a realist and accept that people have certain expectations of others. I'd hate to be the unlucky soul to have the responsibility of making every man's dreams come true. I was once "cursed" with excessive beauty in my youth, but most younger women are, and everyday they endure the daunting task of warding off unsavory men.

I'm attractive in my own rite; I know what I want; I know what I offer.
 Jusneedu
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/22/2012 2:19:09 PM

I just saw a profile of a man who is 54, who is seeking women 18-55 and in a forum response admitted that women have told him that he is old enough to be their father.

I doubt the fabulous, charming, sexy, intelligent 50+ ladies who are his peers are the ones saying that.

I wonder what he would think of a 54 year old man trying to chat up his 18 year old daughter?

I think I was contacted by the same guy. And when I asked him why the 18 year olds, he told me it was because they come to him like a sugar daddy and he then pretty much gets what he wants from them.

Tis sad........ And any 54 year old going after my grandaughters is bond to be met by a shotgun!!!

I know they say age is just a number, but at times you have to look at the "reality" of it all. Daddy daughter syndrome? Sick!!!

But back to OP... Some of us over 50 have led a healthy lifestyle, and look younger. Or have jeans that prevents us from the wrinkles and aging like some others have. I happen to of been one of the lucky ones who people say does not look over 40 when meeting me...
 HappyRocker
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2012 3:32:45 PM
Yeah, (absolutely ignoring the agist point to most of the above posts) I really enjoy Hot in Cleveland too. I also enjoy The Big Bang Theory.

Who says the Yanks can't do humor or make fun of themselves!

Valerie Bertinelli over 50! Crikey I must be getting old ....
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > A lesson from "Hot In Cleveland"