Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Religion and modern relationships, is there a basic conflict?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nightowl2004
Msg: 101
Religion and modern relationships, is there a basic conflict?Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I believe this would make a great term paper or Nobel Peace Prize material. YAWNNNNNNNN.........
 OnlyLovelyLady11
Msg: 102
Religion and modern relationships, is there a basic conflict?
Posted: 6/8/2012 4:53:20 AM
I read the different comments here and it's very sad! I'm a very dedicated Christian and sex has never been an issue! I do believe that sex is a natural act,'' Of Making LOVE!'' People today are so mundane and have cheapen the relationships. People blame religion. However if one actually studies the bible and truly seeks God, they would find a much more fulfilling sex life! Instead of Next, Next!
 Capn_America
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/8/2012 5:20:30 AM
When i got married, I am Catholic by the way, not a perfect one,

Sddude; it's weird. The way you describe Catholic religion being, is VERY different from what I was raised in. Pretty much the entirety of Quebec is Catholic, yet religion was very powerfull here in the 60's and before, the world has since come out of it. A lot of people are turning atheist, yet not completely. A guy I know was raised a Catholic and says he doesn't believe in God but will give his kids all the sacraments "just to be safe".....kind of ridiculous, but whatever.
I've never had anyone belittle my beliefs or religions. Well that is, before I joined POF... I find it disturbing that so many would choose to mock someone over things they believe in. It's something 5 year olds do in Kindergarden. Not adults over 30....

To each their own, but I will never knowingly date a Catholic-raised guy again, whether he's lapsed or active. Too much conflict of values and ingrained attitudes for me<

Naturemaid; see above. I dunno, I think it has more to do with cultural values, than actual values by the church. Or you dated guys that were just too pro-religion. I live my life according to...how I live my life. The way religion affects my life concerns only me, by myself, when I'm praying. I didn't know things were any different with the same religion as mine elsewhere, it's rather disturbing actually...

get the silent treatment for the next two days because I had "made her sin".

Oh GOOOODDDD have I sinned, if that's the case... :devil: I think people sometimes take religion WAYY too personnal. It's okay to have faith and believe in something, but I doubt if God would want it to rule you absolutely if it was a break from your happiness.

The Bible might be an old book full of stuff that never happenned, but there are some lessons I always remembered from it. One of them being the main message of Jesus; love each other. The other one being "God made us in his ressemblance". So, if he did, it rather means he knows the human mind, no? So if we try to be good, decent folks, yet don't necessarily follow all the precept of the Church word for word and pound for pound, and we show ourselves tolerant over those who have different beliefs than us, he'll be damned happy for us.
No...?

OnlyLovelyLady11
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/9/2012 5:15:37 AM
Yes, of course God want's us happy. However, so does a mother want her child happy . When she tells the child not to play in the street ,is it because she doesn't want him to have fun??? Doesn't anyone here acknowledge the Spiritual Realm? Ephesians:610 Are we all so intellectual? We don't need wisdom? Self indulgence is fulfilling?
 nightowl2004
Msg: 105
Posted: 6/10/2012 9:30:53 PM
Religion & modern relationships conflict. Yes. The End.
 Capn_America
Msg: 106
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:41:18 AM

Yes, of course God want's us happy. However, so does a mother want her child happy . When she tells the child not to play in the street ,is it because she doesn't want him to have fun??? Doesn't anyone here acknowledge the Spiritual Realm? Ephesians:610 Are we all so intellectual? We don't need wisdom? Self indulgence is fulfilling?

God...
I`m going to hang myself.
Okay, ignore everything I ever posted on here; people are nutz.
I rest my case.

Goodbye.

*jumps*
 smilingrock
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/11/2012 11:00:59 AM
Onanism is Verboten

Onan (Hebrew: אוֹנָן, Modern Onan Tiberian ʼÔnān ; "Strong") is a minor biblical person in the Book of Genesis Chapter 38, who was the second son of Judah. Like his older brother, Er, Onan died prematurely by Yahweh's will for being wicked.[1]

Biblical account
After Onan's brother Er died, his father Judah told him to fulfill his duty as a brother-in-law to Tamar, by giving her offspring. Centuries later, in the days of Moses, this practice was formulated into a law of a Levirate marriage, where the brother of the deceased would provide offspring to the childless widow[2] to preserve the family line.[1]
However, when Onan had sex with Tamar, he disregarded this principle when he withdrew before climax[3] and "spilled his seed [or semen] on the ground", since any child born would not legally be considered his heir.[4] He disregarded the principle of a Levirate union, so God killed him for being wicked. (Genesis 38:3-10)

Classical views
Early writers have sometimes focused on the spilling seed, and the sexual act being used for non-procreational purposes. One opinion expressed in the Talmud argues that this was where the death penalty's imposition originated.[5] This interpretation was held by several early Christian apologists. Jerome, for example, argued:
"But I wonder why he the heretic Jovinianus set Judah and Tamar before us for an example, unless perchance even harlots give him pleasure; or Onan, who was slain because he grudged his brother his seed. Does he imagine that we approve of any sexual intercourse except for the procreation of children?"[6]
Clement of Alexandria, while not making explicit reference to Onan, similarly reflects an early Christian view of the abhorrence of '"spilling seed'":
"Because of its divine institution for the propagation of man, the seed is not to be vainly ejaculated, nor is it to be damaged, nor is it to be wasted"[7] "To have coitus other than to procreate children is to do injury to nature"[8]

[edit] Early Jewish views

The view of wasted seed referring to masturbation was upheld by many early rabbis. However, the Levitical regulations concerning ejaculation, whether as a result of heterosexual intercourse[9] or not,[10] merely prescribe a ritual washing, and remaining ritually impure until the next day began on the following evening.

Roman Catholic views

The papal encyclical Casti Connubii (1930) invokes this Biblical text in support of the teaching of the Catholic Church against contracepted sex.
 rockondon
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 7:04:28 PM
Moreso I'd say there is a conflict between modern relationships and indoctrination or organized religion.

I shake my head at all the ones who pick and choose which rules to follow from whatever scripture was forced on them (they'll tell you they chose freely of course) as though its a buffet to be picked from.
 DBuscaglia
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 1:04:51 PM
Prudish? You HAVE to be kidding.....My goodness...

I can't stand it when other people refuse to accept other people's religions....without bad-mouthing them. I met a man here....he said that my Catholic religion's teachings were CRAP. Needless to say, I was glad I had found this out before we had met. I mean, he didn't have to agree with my religion's teachings...but to call them CRAP was rude and intolerable.
 smilingrock
Msg: 110
Posted: 6/19/2012 1:07:21 PM
So are you one of those devout Catholics that believes sex outside of marriage is a sin? How about contraception?
 judyjc5
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/1/2012 9:17:48 PM
Yes many religions are against it! But frankly where are the people that live it ? And yes I was raised as your wife but yet I don't know why they believed that way .The marriage bed is undefiled and to be a place of pleasure .Song of Solomon is a beautiful story all about love and sex. I don't think most people are still in that mind frame.And honestly I know very few!
 judyjc5
Msg: 112
Posted: 7/1/2012 9:47:41 PM
I believe the Bible is the true inspired living word of God! I do not call myself a Christian because the word means Christlike and I am n no way Christlike! and do agree most religion is corrupt ,Have attended many different kind of churches . And yes I sin daily but know that I am forgiving and that it is impossible to live on this earth without sinning! As for the laws that were quoted ,they are old testament laws and we live under grace So I thank God for His Amazing Grace ! As for the fornication in the Bible if you study it it really means being a whore ,prostitute etc.
 SELSEL2017
Msg: 113
Posted: 7/2/2012 10:00:34 AM
Hi...I'm a Christian...people dont seem to really understand what a Christian is...There is the beleiver and the non beleiver...this is the only way I can explain it...both non beleiver and believer are all sinners...the whole world sins...no matter who you are... priest , pastore...the sweet little ole lady next store....the difference is the beleiver realizes they are sinners and will need Jesus or they can not get into Heaven...they will Humble themselves to jesus Christ and admit to him they are wrong and need his help....Jesus forgivness is not like ours....thats why it is sooo hard for peopl to understand...we dont forgive people we hold grudges until we feel like forgiving...everytime you ask Jesus to Forgive...he is right there over and over...thats why they say his Grace is sufficient....you cant compare him to us...he is not like us...When Jesus died on the cross there were two sinners also hanging on a cross next to him...one on each side....both sinners one mocked him...the other accepted him...one is in Hell right now the other in Heaven....God knows we cant walk a perfect line...we screwed that up...so he made a sacrifice Jesus to prove his Love and dedication..should we try really hard to not sin...yes...but when we do if and as a beliver as long as you dont hide from him...just face up and admit it...he unlike people yes will forgive you and you just ask him to make you stronger...thats all...
This woman about the sex thing might be a phony Christian...or was brought up by people who made her feel guilty about her sins....maybe thats why she feels the way she does...maybe she cant help it...God knows we want pleasure thats why he created sex...its too enjoy in your marriage so she is wrong about alll that...or she just isnt really understanding him...shes needs to read the Bible...he is not mad at her at all...for anything she does in bed...
 smilingrock
Msg: 114
Posted: 7/2/2012 1:48:13 PM
Bible says sex outside of marriage is a sin, masurbation is a sin and so is birth control. According to the bible Im going straight to hell!

But you know something I dont blieve in that fairy tale book that is full of contradictions. They are people that do and they are the ones that have a weak mind and need a bible/crutch to get them thru the day. I do therefore avoid biblethumpers like a plague...
 DoubleParked
Msg: 115
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:30:01 PM
Yes, this is why I never would again date a catholic raised man. Ever
 Bachelor_Numero_Uno
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2012 1:42:23 AM
@DragonBits (OP), the exact figure is 76% of the American population identify themselves as Christian in polls, but only 25% of Americans are Catholic (stats from 2008).

While being an atheist myself, I’ve had tons of online interaction with Christians for years on forums, etc.., as well as knowing Christians personally, & I would venture to say that most Christians are not overly concerned with Biblical-based “rules” on sex. I think you’re making over-generalizations about the American population, based on your experience with your wife, & assuming that most other Catholics are like her. And Christians other than Catholics don’t seem to have that obsession with rules around sex either. Even the Fundamentalists & non-denominational modern Christians (20% 0f the American population) don’t appear to have a lot of hang-ups about sex, or sex for pleasure within marriage. At least that's my take on it.

Sure Catholics that have had a strict upbringing may be conflicted when it comes to sexuality. Your ex-wife seems to be an extreme example of this, if that in fact was the origin of her attitude or behavior, rather than a convenient excuse.

As for the U.S.A. in general being “prudish”, well moreso than a lot of European countries, that’s for sure.
 moutainbreeze
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/4/2012 4:08:47 AM
A majority of those claiming to be Christians have no idea what the Bible even says. Therefore they're NOT conflicted. They are NOT saved.

Catholics pray to the dead, bow before statues and have openly eliminated the second commandment of G-d. So I am thinking a priest who partakes in that is pretty offensive in calling the people he leads to destruction "cafeteria Christians" or "Menu Christians."

The whole claim about "sex in marriage is a sin" is one of the special ways Catholicism completely negates scripture and controls through fear. Certainly "Song of Solomon" objects to such a beliefs. Catholicism shows a gross disdain for Judaism, the seven feasts, marriage, divorce, and G-d's will. Wait, most people who claim to be "Christians" do the same exact thing! Fancy that.

Regardless of denomination, most who call themselves "Christians" are in many ways merely Protestant (PROTESTING) offshoots of Catholicism, rather than true students of scripture. A rare few have knowledge beyond what they are TOLD scripture says. Which, invariably leaves them as a pawn NOT a soldier.

Seriously examine how many people claim to be "Christians" while asking you about "your sign," gambling or "partying" or who justify their choices by claiming they "can't possibly measure up to Christ" blah blah blah. Just more "protesting" without actually understanding the underlying "cause."

The whole goal of most of those labeling themselves as "Christian" is simply to find another partner for their bed who at least has some slight moral compass, or occasionally makes a show of going to church, or who "will help teach little Jonnie not to steal candy." It's pretty sad overall.
 nikkisenko
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/4/2012 5:40:13 AM
I don't like organized religion of any kind. But, I do believe in God. I call myself spiritual. :) So, I do not worry too much about religious rules.

When did the US become prudish? Lol, not in any part I've seen.
 Indysweetpea2001_
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/4/2012 8:24:47 AM
Compared to many Middle Eastern and Aisan countries the USA is the land of the sinners. In Saudia Arabia you can be killed for cheating on your spouse or having sex prior to marriage. I think there are just varying degrees of how much of liberal or conservative you are.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2012 8:48:22 AM
The bible was written in a time when you spent nearly 24/7 just surviving. You worked hard to get your food, provide shelter, ect. Women could NOT live alone. They were physically threatened, and rape was common. During that time it was a matter of survival to "mate" and be a couple. A women with children had to feed those kids, men brought home the bacon. for a guy to go out and "knock someone up" was a death sentence for that woman. So yes, it was considered a "sin" to have sex outside of marriage. Survival of the species was the goal... not mearly living. People lived as village during those times, and all needed to be trusted. To have folks out there boinking for "fun" was not in the best interest of the village.

The need to keep sex in the background makes sense during those times. To keep folks focused on procreating, and family values was all about survival.

In true village fashion as in the indiginous people of the world, should an indescression come about, the woman and child were tended to.. however she was still considered broken goods, and lived a hard life.

Of course it wasn't always men that stepped outside of the rules, but in those days, for the most part it was. To this day women in middle eastern nations are prey for those that can't keep their diks in their pants. The problem has been laid to rest on them. I don't feel thats fair, at all... but no one asked my opinion lol

To understand the reasons for "sin" in the bible we must understand the problems with entitlement. The 7 deadly sins are all a form of self entitlement... and that is to me what "sin" is all about. Forgetting the needs of others and tending to your wants at the detrement of others, that to me is "sin".
 BlakTieAffair
Msg: 121
Posted: 8/4/2012 9:37:58 AM
I'm not trying to be fresh but religion has nothing to do with anything these days it doesn't mean squat to most prayers can't save many of them no matter how long their knees are on the floor.
 Bachelor_Numero_Uno
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2012 2:04:40 PM
@ HKOangel99, I’ve seen your stance repeated several times by Christians over the years on religious threads on YouTube & other sites. Namely, your assertion that “the Ancient Romans, very good record keepers , reinforce that Jesus was indeed real.” In reality, there are zero official records by Romans of a historical Jesus, contemporaneous to the time period during which Jesus is said to have lived & died.

There certainly are internet sites & stories of alleged Roman records, like the Acts of Pilate, but these tales were circulated by people with an obvious agenda, & have been thoroughly debunked as false. Maybe that’s what you’re thinking of. The bogus Pontius Pilate letter can be traced back to the fraudster Rev. W. D. Mahan of Boonville, Missouri, who published a pamphlet in 1879 titled, ‘A Correct Transcript of Pilate's Court’. Among other things, Mahan also claimed to discover Eli’s story of the Magi. All of these were immediately exposed as frauds. For instance, Eli's story of the Magi was copied word for word from the novel Ben Hur.

The earliest known references to Jesus outside the Bible are by Roman historians much “after the fact”, & are thus not first-person accounts: Josephus who wrote “Antiquities of the Jews in AD 94; Tacitus who wrote “Annals” in AD 116; Pliny the Younger writing around AD 100; & Seutonias who wrote “The Lives of the Caesars” in AD 120. Even then, the Josephus documents have been proven to have been modified by the church bishops in the 4th century. Other documents such as those of Tacitus are copies of copies from the 11th century, no copies earlier than that survive. Then again no biblical manuscripts earlier than the 3rd century survive either. Not even the copies of copies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not concluding there wasn't a historical Jesus that existed. I'm merely correcting the assertion that the Romas kept records of evry crucifixion & encounter with rebels, rabble-rousers & alleged criminals.
 stonecastle
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 4:58:24 AM
Why the hell does Christianity consider sex outside marriage a sin? Actually if you read the Bible there is no clear condemnation of sex outside marriage at all check out: www.libchrist.com
Some Bible references which people think condemn sex outside marriage are "keep the marriage bed sacred do not defile it with fornication" - This could be referring specifically to a bed that a married couple sleep in. In other words do not have sex in a bed which is used by a married couple to sleep in.
"Abstain from fornication" - The word fornication comes from the word fornix, which meant arches where prostitutes plied their trade, so this could really be saying abstain from prostitution.
"To avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife and every woman have her own husband" - This could mean that marriage is the best defence against prostitution as married people should have no need to turn to prostitution for sexual gratification.
"If a woman sleeps with a man in her fathers house she plays the harlot" - This could simply mean that a woman is not to have sex with her lover in her fathers house.
"If a woman tells her husband she is a virgin on her wedding night but is found out not to be then he should take her to her fathers house and stone her to death" - This could mean that the real sin is lying about being a virgin as in ancient times virgin brides were highly prized. It was well known though in ancient times for none virgin girls to marry.
"A priest must marry a virgin who has not been a prostitute." Here is in the only clear condemnation of sex outside marriage, but it applies only to priests. It could therefore be concluded that it is OK for none clergy to marry none virgins.
 HiHeelsLover
Msg: 124
Posted: 8/7/2012 5:55:03 AM
Twelve year-olds have been having sex since the dawn of man. And, children of the female sex marrying (and cosummating that marriage) as young as 12, 11, 10 used to be so common, nobody blinked at all. In the western world

While a woman may have been promised at the age of 12 she was not in her husband's home until she could safely carry a child. WHICH was still in her late teens early twenties. Menstruation started later. Since it was based on nutrition. And a young bride was not a sex toy but there to produce an heir. And if we must go on history let's look at the other side of the coin. MEN who could NOT provide for his wife and the off spring did not get the prettiest youngest sweetest wife. Parents would select a man based on his ability to raise up the family fortune and name. AND he did NOT trade the old wife in for a newer younger model. Second wives were selected to take care of current children and produce MORE. NOT based on him being a NICE guy. Men did what ever they could to increase their chances of getting the best bride. Which means HE increased his ability to provide for his new wife and her children.
AND which country is it that the women are running around expected to do every guy who buys coffee??? EVERY other country will stone her. TURN her out and call her a whore?

AND if you claim to be a believer in Christ HOW can you debate the fact it states fornicators will have NO PART of the kingdom of heaven???
 abmccray
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 5:55:29 AM
The Greek/Aramaic words that are translated as 'fornication' in the bible literally meant sex outside of marriage, so, yes, the Bible condemns it. You can't really trying to twist the wording there.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Religion and modern relationships, is there a basic conflict?