Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moraima
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????Page 5 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Dog and Cat people especially in our middle ages have such a different sense of humour. None Dog/Cat people just wouldn't get it. That would mean we weren't on the same wave length.

Just got an email from 3000+ miles away. My newly born Goddaughter is just home from the hospital. Her umbilical cord fell off and the puppy ate it. The Grandmother just had to email me with that giggle. Just sent off an email to my best animal loving friends because I knew they would love the humour of that. Can't imagine telling that to a none dog person.

I imagine a few reading this thread just threw up in their mouths..................he he.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????
Posted: 6/15/2012 1:51:49 PM

I knew my last relationship was headed south when he told me he was jealous of my dog (only had one at the time).

My ex said if he had a choice after death he wanted to come back as one of my horses, I spent lots of time taking good care of them lol

I think the trend is obvious here... pet owners know the value of unconditional love from our furry loved ones. lol Its honest, and perhaps that impossible thing we seek in people?
 Happy Dude 63
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/15/2012 7:55:49 PM
almost sad you have to ask. My chocolate lab, Daisy has been with me since she was 6 weeks old,11 years. I truly love her! Yes not like I love my son or daughters. But it is real love. So how can I even begin to think about giving her up for some one new in my life. Ok maybe I make some changes and she doesnt sleep in bed with me anymore or eat at the dinner table with us..hehe. But give her up, or make her less important? Not even close to a chance. AND especially for a lady who just doesnt get the love of and for a pet. HHMMM next his kids will be in YOUR way.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 7:25:32 AM
Lilybeyaz...true.

However you had a REAL dog. I have a great time taking a dog on a hike, playing frisbee, etc. The dog may be part of the family, our best friend, but it's a dog first.

In contrast I don't like yappy little pseudo dogs that barely make a dent on a pillow when they sleep on it. Nothing wrong with my character or anger or selfish issues. I find these pseudo dogs a bit irritating . My best buddy was a gentle German short haired pointer and she'd sniff one of these toy dogs and look at me as if to say 'What the hell is that? Can I eat it?'.
 moraima
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 7:41:43 AM
"In contrast I don't like yappy little pseudo dogs"

I am on the same page with that especially if the little dog isn't groomed or taught manners.

Pet owners can be very different. Some like toy dogs and treat them as such. Some like large breed, more independent dogs, and train them to be good dog citizens.

Nothing turns me off more than a dirty, untrained dog. Imo, I don't want to be around dog owners who think that type of dog is cute.

Met up with this man a few times. We planned to go to a bbq at one of his family members. He picked me up in his vehicle with air conditioning on because it was very hot. In the back seat was a long haired matted dog who stank to high heaven. Not only did the dog need a good bath and a hair cut, the dog needed eye and ear meds. My date's dog kept jumping from the back seat onto my lap. The dog odour fill the whole vehicle. My hands were dirty (never mind my clothes) from putting the dog back into the back seat. The owners response was "look, he likes you". OMG.

There are dog/cat owners, then there are the clueless animal collectors. In that situation, I feel bad for the dogs and cats who are so badly looked after by the clueless.

Yes, I check out profiles of pets to see if their dog needs grooming. Ew!

Over the decades, most of my dogs have weighed more than I do. Once they are obedience trained there is no problem except when they get sick and it takes more than one person to load them into my vehicle.

I have thought long and hard above what type of dog it makes sense to grow old with. I have spent the last 2 years search for a small breed dog that has the ability both mentally and physically to live it's life like a big dog. I finally found a very rare breed dog that only grows to 13" high and 30 lbs. in weight. This breed was breed to be cattle dogs in Europe.
Think tiny German Shepherd but with a bob tail. He fits perfectly into the laundry tub for his baths, and is combed out daily.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 8:04:40 AM
The working breeds do make great pets. The are smart and look for ways to please. All my animals, well except my chickens, are well trained. I am the dominate one here lol Horses need to be respectful, and dogs need to be mindful. My cats however do what ever the heck they want, but they are feral and outside most the time. I think its a cat thing, but the dang things won't fetch or come when called, or even shake hands. They will let you pet them and listen to them purr though lol
 jonabella
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/16/2012 8:16:20 AM
this is why we shop on line,,just putting it out there...and listing our priorities~
no judgement..
this is what separates friends from lovers.
it's more than lifestyle its circumstance priorities,,and responsibility.. that commitment to their pet is not abandoned...even when for love..seriously, your pet or me?
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 8:16:40 AM

All my animals, well except my chickens, are well trained

ha! Where I grew up in southern France, chickens were as much a part of town as people. Life went on at different levels...people had interaction and their own society...as did dogs....as did cats....but the chickens seemed to be the most established strata. Dominant roosters strutted around and juvenile roosters roamed in little flocks...hens and chicks ignored it all and went about their business eating. The real head of the town was a rooster but we people didn't realize it...humans were almost secondary to chicken society. The first time i took my girlfriend back to our family home she was a bit intimidated by all the chickens she had to walk through to get inside the gate into our chicken-free yard.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 8:24:14 AM
chickens do have a strong social structure to be sure, but teaching them tricks is like impossible hahaha I find it facinating your chicken town dealt so well with the birds. I was just in my home town and its in farm country but like all towns in California it has grown so much.. and there are chickens "grazing" along the freeway. It cracked me up.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 8:29:50 AM

it's more than lifestyle its circumstance priorities,,and responsibility.. that commitment to their pet is not abandoned...even when for love..seriously, your pet or me?

I would never trust someone that would give up a faithful companion for me. I get what you are saying and I understand wanting to be the high priority in someone's life, but for one, I would never ask someone to do that, and if they did, it shows a lack of commitment to me. But thats just me.
 tilark99
Msg: 111
Posted: 6/16/2012 9:16:06 AM
There would be no question for me-- A stranger from the net (whether they could be "the one" or the craigs list killer) has no way to superimpose their allergies or preferences on my life and household. I could date someone allergic to cats, or afraid of horses, no problem. But no, they would not end up sharing my home and my life.

Its not like moving an ugly potted plant out to suit someone. Are you thinking it's reasonable for a pet lover to take their faithful pets to the pound, to make room in the house for someone who does not share that love for their four-legged friends?

Uh, no. These are not bookends or potted plants. People who have pets, have them for a reason. It's fine to not share their love of pets, but not to ask them to change to suit you.
 Jamie95622
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/19/2012 5:04:21 PM
could all you pet owners do me a huge favor and stop using the line "pet owners know the value of unconditional love "

no you don't.....at all...none of you do,,,unconditional means,,,,,,no conditions,,it means,,,,someone is with you of their own free will and wanted to be with you in the first place,,,,,so

if the first pet owner could please step forward and tell me when and where their pet,,,,,walked up to there dootr,,knocked,,and asked to be let in and live with you,,,,because to my knowledge,,,,most pets are bought(a condition?) or given by others but NEVER are they coming to your home and living with you of their own free will,,,,they do not choose to live with you,,,,YOU CHOOSE TO HOUSE THEM AND TIE THEM UP AND PUT UP FENCES AND LOCK DOORS AND USE EVERY METHOD YOU CAN THINK OF TO MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT ESCAPE THIS ,,,,,,,,(sorry for the caps,,not rewriting all this!)

unconditional love scene,,,,,,,

the condition ,,,,btw,,,is that they are never,,,,,,,,,,,,,ever,,,,,,,,,,,,,allowed to leave,,ever

that seems like a pretty big condition to me,,,,,,,,,,if you pet owners truly want unconditional love,,,then open your doors and leave them open for a while,,,,,if your pets stay,,then i guess they do indeed like you,,,,if they do not stay and instead head out never to be seen again,,and trust me,,,,most will,,,,then they never did,,,,,,

the "unconditional" part,,,is your own mind convincing you that you are NOT trapping and keeping another living being in your house without it's consent( and this is a fact,,no animal has EVER given ANY kind of verbal or any other kind of consent ,,,you pick them up and put them in your house and you do not let them go,,ever,,and they do adjust and actually after a while enjoy themselves,,,,much like the slaves did way back when) but instead you are doing the animal "a favor" by making it a hostage for life in a ,,,admitted,,,gilded cage...

unconditional love btw,,,is a love between two CONSENTING species......it is not trapping an animal in your house because you are afraid of being alone and then dictating how that animal is going to live for the rest of it's life,,that

is captivity ,,,no matter how you romanticize it with terms like "unconditional love " oh,,there is a condition alright....
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 113
Posted: 6/19/2012 5:24:02 PM
I have been alone for years. Thankfully I have family, friends, and my pets to give and receive love with.
Allergies are very uncomfortable. I don't want someone to be wishing I would get rid of my pets, or suffer with symptoms.

Had a fellow come over one time and immediately start sniffling over my cat. He had to take an antihistamine.
Then, when introduced to my guinea pigs, commented that they belong in a trap. Oops!
I'd also heard him previously screaming at his dog.
Dealbreakers.

As I posted previously, I may die alone with my cat for company. How sad, but possibly true. Oh well!
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 5:36:43 PM

if the first pet owner could please step forward and tell me when and where their pet,,,,,walked up to there dootr,,knocked,,and asked to be let in and live with you,,,,because to my knowledge,,,,most pets are bought(a condition?) or given by others but NEVER are they coming to your home and living with you of their own free will,,,,they do not choose to live with you,...

huh? ...you never met my cats. I'm sure many here with cats had their pals show up one day at the door. It's also not uncommon with dogs depending where you live. Also, my pet crow's mother used to look in the kitchen window and 'caw' until she was fed. She's gone off to the big bird feeder in the sky but her daughter is now part of 'our' family.

Anyways, I've never gone out an 'got' or 'bought' a cat...they just moved in and made themselves at home.
 TheReason_
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:19:52 PM
An animal is forever. I would never expect a significant other to give up their animal, nor should I be expected to give up mine...

Probably best to look elsewhere.

(I don't have any pets, but I have in the past and they were all forever pets)
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:42:27 PM
Your children are your forever; your companion animals should be yours for ever, but for the most part, "men come (literally and figuratively), and men go.
 ladyc4
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/20/2012 9:50:15 AM
I have to agree with lily pretty much.
As for involuntary captivity-how come so many times a companion animal that gets separated from their family or the place they feel is "home"- makes every attempt to return? How come so many times a lost( or sadly,"dropped off") dog will leap into the vehicle of anyone who stops and asks-"Doggie, are you lost"?

I could fill pages with stories of horses, dogs and even cats who sought to get back home.

I can also report that many many times, in an encounter with a loose horse( mine or someone elses') what that horse desperately sought was for me to open the barn door or the paddock gate so they could get back in!

Most of the "unconditional love" that people THINK animals hold is simply a matter of the animal having made a human abode their "den" and the human(s)within have become their pack, herd or pride( for the cats) or their flock(birds). I HAVE seen quite a few situations where animals DO have a strong bond to a particular human or humans, even in an "away from the den" setting they will seek out their human..
(Cindy, don't open the outhouse door fast-your horse pulled away from me, he is standing there at the outhouse door-don't hit him in the face with the door when you come out!) LOL-yes this really did happen at a competition!

The true nature of a human/companion animal bond lies somewhere between "unconditional love" and "enforced captivity".

However, those of us who enjoy the companionship of an animal(s) also are very cognizant of our responsibility to those companion animals.

Bottom line- IMO,if you as a relationship seeker, are a person who dislikes companion animals, or you have allergies that preclude contact with them-are much better served to pass by those people who make it clear that companion animals are in their lives.
Because, all to often-and no matter how reluctantly the choice is made!-if a potential relationship partner has to choose between their companion animal and you-the animal is very likely to win the choice.

I think the most common basis for the decision is that "if (s)he is demanding that I give up fluffy, Rover, or Silver, what will be the NEXT demand? My friends? My grandkids? My softball team/bowling league/civic club? "
In the case of severe allergies, there is often just a plain and simple lifestyle disconnect. Many companion animal owners tend to be outdoorsy/active types, and if you can share none-or very few- of their activities due to allergies, it's going to create a built-in compatibility issue.
There is nothing "pathetic" about people who set great store by their companion animals...indeed, when I see a person who is quick to cast aside pets, activities, friends, maybe even family -at the behest of a potential significant other, there- IMO- is where "pathetic" truly resides.
Cindy O
 tbicon
Msg: 118
Posted: 6/20/2012 10:12:21 AM
Well Lilly, can you really say animals don't feel love? How do you define love if not partly by a feeling of attachment and security? We know dogs don't feel shame . . ever. Not sure we can't say they don't feel love.
 tbicon
Msg: 119
Posted: 6/20/2012 10:44:33 AM
On youtube is the story if a guy who raised a male lion cub until it got too large and .was released in the african wild. The lion found a mate and his own pride. Years later, when the guy searched for and found the lion in the wildx it greeted him the same as a dog would greet an owner who has been absent for a long period of time.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2012 12:50:51 PM
So nice to see men who care for their pets weigh in here!
 Miss W
Msg: 121
Posted: 6/20/2012 12:58:32 PM
How funny that this thread stopped and started again. The d-bag who I mentioned in message 13 tried to contact me another time a few weeks ago. Now he has an account on here and tried to contact the friend of mine who adopted the
chihuahua I had fostered, unbeknownst to him that we are friends.

Among the things she said to him, she said that she couldn't date anyone who her dogs didn't like and Sally the chihuahua doesn't like him. No response. Talk about having something bite you in the butt. LOL!
 tbicon
Msg: 122
Posted: 6/20/2012 1:10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZIQUb-d4GQ
Don't try this at home.
 Jamie95622
Msg: 123
Posted: 6/20/2012 3:07:08 PM

As for involuntary captivity-how come so many times a companion animal that gets separated from their family or the place they feel is "home"- makes every attempt to return? How come so many times a lost( or sadly,"dropped off") dog will leap into the vehicle of anyone who stops and asks-"Doggie, are you lost"?

I could fill pages with stories of horses, dogs and even cats who sought to get back home.

because,,,,,as another poster mentioned,,,,,the captive at some point considers the cage,,,home

it has nothing to do with you,,or love or anything,,it is instinctual to call a place home for almost all species,,,so,,they look to come to the place that has become home to them,,whether it is a home of their own choosing or not,,and it is usually ,,not
 Wonder5750
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2012 3:34:18 PM
There are herd animals and there are pack animals. Most herbavoirs are herd instinctual. They call home where ever the majority of the herd is.
Dogs, wolves are pack animals. They accept individuals in their pack and will protect and watch out for them.

In most herds and packs there are those that are designated to find food and water, these are the lead animals, and most times it will be females. Males are more about protection.

So it stands to reason that a dog or cat will stay with the lead animal that finds the food. If you study wolf packs you will see a very strong "family" akin to love. Can't read their minds so I dont' knwo if its the same or not, but it appears to have all the components. They find joy in the coming together and greive at the death or absence of one of the "family".

Is it unconditional love? Seems to me anytime one is willing to lay their life down for another is a very strong sign of uncondtional love. Dogs have done this often to protect their human pack mates. Just sayin.
 forums1
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/20/2012 3:52:09 PM

Whether or not that is love, we cannot know. And I don't think it is unconditional, because if there was no food, no nice place to sleep, not petting and brushing, and if you were quite mean to the animal, it may very well decide to take off and go elsewhere. This then, whether it is love or something else, is not unconditional.

Not sure about that sometimes, there's enough stories around of 'owners' who have died, and their dog has laid down at their grave and wouldn't leave... being dead they certainly weren't going to get food or petting or brushing. Certainly speaks (to me) of more of an emotional attachment that 'opportunistic' (food, petting, etc).
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????