Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pepperstrand
Msg: 151
Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????Page 7 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I would never expect a man to get rid of his pet due to me. If the relationship progressed to the point where a live-in situation applied then yes I would definitely tell him to give the animal to a trusted friend or relative. Not just dump it at the side of the road. I can die if I live with cats and the only reason I know this is I did at one point in my life. I had to leave a live-in boyfriend of many years as he was too stubborn to realize I was suffering. So it had to end. I could not breathe. Funny dogs don't do the same thing to me. So well I had to do what I had to do. He kept the cats, I moved on.
 daynadaze
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????
Posted: 9/20/2015 1:01:07 PM
And that is why I just don't date people who live in a way that I know I could not.
 sealady111
Msg: 153
Posted: 9/20/2015 2:02:12 PM
Pets specifically dogs have been in my life... all my life.

A choice between my pets or a stranger?
Very easy decision.

So for you.
Just don't date people with animals.

p.s. The only animals who sleep in my bed are human.
 Seki1949
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2015 2:16:34 PM
My cat and I are a package deal. He's 50% house and 50% outdoors.

I won't ask you to share a bed with the cat, because I don't like sharing a bed with other peoples pets. Other than that the cat stays with his current deal.

Someone is allergic to cats, may be a fine person and a good match, but it's 'next'. It's nothing personal.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2015 5:37:15 PM
I feel that way. Except me, AND my critters. Or asta louweegee to you. ( And I hope my dog took a dump on your rug)
 deetristate
Msg: 156
Posted: 9/21/2015 4:04:12 PM
Op - if an animal is in the photo with a man, I politely skip him.

There are many women who love animals who are a better match for him.
 baconflavoredbacon
Msg: 157
Posted: 9/22/2015 2:37:27 AM
Pets are family members and they stay that way.

If a dude asked me to part with my bullterriers, Duke and Audi, for him, I'd tell the dude to take a hike (preferably to a place where there is no bacon).
 sealady111
Msg: 158
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/22/2015 4:57:28 AM
Just saw a great new Aussie movie.

'Oddball'

Lovable dogs and penguins plus stunning cinematography of the spectacular Great Ocean Road.
Give me dogs and penguins over people who do not like animals any day.
 delmar_brame
Msg: 159
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/22/2015 8:29:10 AM
I will simply say this. It is self-evident from these boards that in the middle aged, it is extremely difficult to find a person who makes a good match in the dating game. To walk away from "the one" because they have a cat or a dog is the height of ridiculousness.

Accommodations can always be made without sacrificing the animal. Its a question of how much people want to give and take.
 Maleman999
Msg: 160
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/22/2015 9:49:41 AM
^^^I totally agree. Are people afraid that the pet is going to take away some attention and affection, and there will not enough left for a human partner? It's especially strange if someone with kids makes the claim of not liking people with pets. Would people sacrifice their kids for a partner?
 daynadaze
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/22/2015 1:04:13 PM

To walk away from "the one" because they have a cat or a dog is the height of ridiculousness.

How does that work? If you don't want to be around someone's pet to the point of considering not getting to know them, then of course they are not The One for you anyway. No pet should have to make accommodations for a date. If your pet can't live their life as normal in your care for someone who isn't accepting of it, then that person is not going to be The One. Why work toward a relationship if the other person expects you to get rid of your lifestyle to be with them. And it's not just pets, what if he rides a motorcycle and you think well I will get rid of that, or he visits his mother for a lunch once a month, and you think, that'll stop when I'm running things! Pick your partner more carefully than thinking oh they might be the one, I better start sacrificing those things special to me, or I'll miss out. That may well work it's self right into resentment.
 baconflavoredbacon
Msg: 162
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/22/2015 1:16:37 PM
Dating issues in the date world for middle-aged people are the not the pets' problem. if pets are a burden that much, then the one isn't the one, and the pets stay. I would not want to bend over backwards upn meeting somebody who resents my pets and me for caring for them. Been through it, before: Duke and Audi won. And only welcomed people are welcomed.
 forumstud
Msg: 163
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/22/2015 1:34:02 PM
The problem I have daynadaze is the "picking" your partner part. If you want to be in a true loving relationship, these things just kind of happen, and accommodations are made for the impediments, like pets or motorcycles. In the end, everybody will have to make the decision about what is most important to them and act accordingly. But if anybody does find the person who is "the one", think long and hard before you dispose of them simply because they have allergies to cats or dogs. I would find a work around myself.
 deetristate
Msg: 164
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/23/2015 12:30:35 PM
A motorcycle doesn't try to crawl on you, on your sofa or in your bed.

Just not compatible.
 Maleman999
Msg: 165
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/23/2015 2:54:44 PM

Msg 203:
But if anybody does find the person who is "the one", think long and hard before you dispose of them simply because they have allergies to cats or dogs. I would find a work around myself.

It wouldn't get to the point of knowing if he/she is The One if there's a deal breaker from the start. People are going to want to know very early about a person's pet and child ownership status, and most of time, it's going to be in their profile anyway, so people will know from the start. If someone has allergies to cats or dogs, they are not going to be interested in meeting someone who has cats or dogs or both. The simplest solution is to look for someone who has the same lifestyle and interests. Problem solved.
 pinedrop
Msg: 166
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/23/2015 8:32:41 PM
Speaking of Pets :

Three Mustang Horses, three dogs, and two cats. The horses live in the back but the dogs and cats live inside. I love her as a person and a lover but have admit I am conflicted with all the pets. I like to do road trips but this is in conflict with pets. Horsey Ladies are a breed unto them selves I think. Horse are a full time commitment and come with the trailer, the truck, the barn, the pasture, the dogs and cats. Honestly, for her sake i am glad she has her pets to love.

I must be mentally conflicted because i am not a pet person. I wanted no responsibilities of that nature. I have a mini schnauzer. I wanted to go places but we are seldom able to go anywhere largely because my friend will not leave her animals. If I ask "me or the critters" i know the answer.

Need help! I am in a relationship with a horsey women. How many men understand a horse lady. Well I better head out to the barn for feeding time.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 167
Posted: 9/23/2015 9:11:21 PM
Ready Real- No he's not kidding.
I get animal people because I am one, especially dogs, I've owned them most of my life.
No offence and NOT judging, but only animal people understand the bond and the love.
Most of us WILL make accommodations, not letting my dog on the bed or sofa, etc are things I would do(as I just said on another thread, tell me it's the dog or me, I'm picking my dog.
If you are interested in someone and this is an issue, communicate with them, maybe you could get allergy shots?
It's up to you.
You are either williing or unwilling to date someone with pets, and that's just fine, just be truthful, offer compromises, or only date people without animals.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 168
Posted: 9/24/2015 7:53:14 AM
There's some places a cat's paws should never touch.

Ever...
 Brisco414
Msg: 169
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/24/2015 8:01:08 AM
"Need help! I am in a relationship with a horsey women. How many men understand a horse lady. Well I better head out to the barn for feeding time. I wanted to go places but we are seldom able to go anywhere largely because my friend will not leave her animals. If I ask "me or the critters" i know the answer."

I'm one of those horsey ladies that men fail to understand. Here's the thing.... you can leave and have a life. It's a choice ...as well as having good friends you can trust with helping out.
 irishgirl772
Msg: 170
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/24/2015 9:47:55 AM

I am not a pet person

This means you are not compatible with someone who is a pet person. Its really that simple.
 Maleman999
Msg: 171
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/24/2015 9:57:33 AM
^^^You didn't quote what was written after that statement:

i am not a pet person. I wanted no responsibilities of that nature. I have a mini schnauzer.

So the guy is not a pet person, doesn't want the responsibilities of caring for a pet, but has a dog. I pity the dog.
 ohenryx
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/24/2015 1:08:33 PM

brisco414
"Need help! I am in a relationship with a horsey women. How many men understand a horse lady. Well I better head out to the barn for feeding time. I wanted to go places but we are seldom able to go anywhere largely because my friend will not leave her animals. If I ask "me or the critters" i know the answer."

I'm one of those horsey ladies that men fail to understand. Here's the thing.... you can leave and have a life. It's a choice ...as well as having good friends you can trust with helping out.

^^^ Damn, she's hot! I would feed her horses any time. And I'm an experienced farm hand, fed many a horse in my day.
 pinedrop
Msg: 173
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 9/24/2015 7:14:38 PM
So the guy is not a pet person, doesn't want the responsibilities of caring for a pet, but has a dog. I pity the dog.

Don't worry my dog is fine. I can handle a small dog quite well. The line of the forum was how do pets effect relationships or not. I was just adding my two cents as the line brought my situation to light. Nothing I can"t handle so rest assured my little dog is fine he does not need your pity.

When my daughter was little we she had a horse and i raised horses myself. Couple Clydesdales and a huge Percheron Mare named Sadie. We got older and parted with the horses. It was a great time but we moved on. Some women and men for that matter continue with the horsey life style. That is fine with me.

My buddy raises pigs, chickens, turkeys, rabbits and his place smells so much he almost gave up on OLD. Just making the point it is a lifestyle choice just like letting three dogs on the furniture. So when you happen to fall for some one you might want to check the barn yard first.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 10/14/2015 4:25:35 AM
Pet people are comfortable around other pet people, city people - city people, Republicans (Conservaties) with Republicans, etc, etc. Each comes with their own set of responsibilities, outlooks, etc. Look for similarities in these things rather than differences. Easy smeasy! Square pegs don't go so good with round holes ..... Have fun lighten up a bit!
 SLAFFA
Msg: 175
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 10/14/2015 9:02:38 AM
There are plenty of folks in the world who have trouble with the concept.

The simple concept of LOVE. Is love for a spouse, the very same love as love for one's kids? Or love for one's brothers and sisters? Parents? Or perhaps love for an old beater of some kind lovingly restored with hundreds of hours of labor and perhaps thousands of dollars? Love for one's job?

I feel sorry for anyone - female or male - that has never experienced love from/for a pet. It's probably likely, they never had a pet of any kind growing up...

Animals of any type, especially the furry four legged variety DO offer numerous advantages over other Humans as far as "live in housemates".
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????